PDA

View Full Version : Bush Dismisses Gloomy CIA Report on Iraq

Whois
09-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Another flip-flop? Can we trust what the CIA says??

Bush Dismisses Gloomy CIA Report on Iraq

NEW YORK (Reuters) - President Bush, determined to put an optimistic face on deadly conditions in Iraq, said on Tuesday that the CIA was just guessing when it said the war-racked country was in danger of slipping into civil war.
"The CIA laid out several scenarios. It said that life could be lousy, life could be OK, life could be better. And they were just guessing as to what the conditions might be like," Bush told reporters during a picture-taking session with Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi.

Bush and Allawi met for 45 minutes on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly.

The CIA, which has been blamed for spectacular lapses involving the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and prewar Iraqi weapons capabilities, gave Bush a report last July that presented a bleak outlook for Iraq.

The classified document, known as a National Intelligence Estimate, predicted three possible scenarios ranging from a tenuous stability to political fragmentation and civil war.

But Bush said he was confident Iraq would emerge as a peaceful democratic nation because of the determination of the Iraqi people to build a free society.

He said he expected Allawi's visit to the United States would help convince Americans not to be discouraged by disturbing news reports from the country.

"The Iraqi citizens are defying the pessimistic predictions," Bush said.

"The American people have seen horrible scenes on our TV screens. And the prime minister will be able to say to them that in spite of the sacrifices being made, in spite of the fact that Iraqis are dying, and U.S. troops are dying as well, that there is a will among the Iraqi people to succeed."

Allawi told reporters his interim government and its U.S.-led allies were winning against the insurgents but that progress was being ignored by media coverage.

In October 2002, a National Intelligence Estimate argued that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction and helped the administration justify its decision to go to war. Large stockpiles of such weapons have not been found.

ASsman
09-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Trust no one.

infidel
09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
So it's ok to trust the CIA when they say there are WMDs in Iraq but not when they say it's a mess there now?

D_Raay
09-22-2004, 03:38 PM
So it's ok to trust the CIA when they say there are WMDs in Iraq but not when they say it's a mess there now?
Excellent point (y) Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

DroppinScience
09-22-2004, 03:50 PM
"Let me tell you something... I think my intelligence is pretty darn good." -Dumbya.

Hehehe, stupid fuck. :mad:

Echewta
09-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Yea but if Kerry is elected, the terrorist win. :(

ASsman
09-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Infidel, next time both read AND COMPREHEND the topic.

infidel
09-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Infidel, next time both read AND COMPREHEND the topic.Just what is it you think I don't comprehend?
It comes down to bush picks and chooses intelligence to suit his agenda.

ASsman
09-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Hmm, well you didn't make it clear in your original post. It was rather vauge or unclear. My bad.

yeahwho
09-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Not original, but appropiate,

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
Hunter S. Thompson

Abe Froman
09-22-2004, 09:35 PM
I'll have an order of flip flop with a side of sticking to my guns please.

Whois
09-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Not original, but appropiate,

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
Hunter S. Thompson

It takes a madman to recognize the asylum.
(y)

IceGargoylle
09-24-2004, 05:02 PM
well, t doesnt really matter what the report says, or anyone else for that matter. Iraq has to succeed and will.

QueenAdrock
09-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Just like when we handed power back to the people of South Vietnam! What a wonderful American-like democracy it has now! Hurray for the USA!

yeahwho
09-24-2004, 05:35 PM
well, t doesnt really matter what the report says, or anyone else for that matter. Iraq has to succeed and will.

I love success, I am a positive thinker, but for the life of me, how will we succeed in Iraq? Do you mean concession's, do you mean leave? If we stay, then Iraq has elections, will that do it?

Or do you mean keep pounding Iraq with bombs, mortar, bullets?

How?

This course is not winnable that we are on. How do you think we'll win the hearts and minds of the 25 million Iraqi's?

infidel
09-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Legit question.

Does anybody who wants to run get to in the Iraq election or do they have to be "approved" by the US government?

You know damn well that whoever campaigns on an anti-US get the fuck out of our country now platform is destined to win.

Ace42
09-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Although Rummy is eager to cut a quater votes out of the equasion. What a coincidence that the people who don't get to vote are the people in areas which refuse to bow to US control.

D_Raay
09-25-2004, 02:01 PM
"The American people have seen horrible scenes on our TV screens. And the prime minister will be able to say to them that in spite of the sacrifices being made, in spite of the fact that Iraqis are dying, and U.S. troops are dying as well, that there is a will among the Iraqi people to succeed."
Boy, if anyone knows what the "will" of the Iraqui people is it's gotta be Bush and the hand puppet Allawi.:rolleyes: I see them on "the TV screens" all the time out talking to the people and giving them encouragement. :rolleyes: Encouragement apparently comes in bomb form now.