PDA

View Full Version : Beastie Boys Opinion

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 07:34 PM
Maybe I am a few years too late on this, but what I have to say has boggled my mind for a few years. I have noticed that in the past 7+ years that the B-Boys have a liberal opinion(DUH). My love for the boys has stemmed since 1982, so my confusion of their political standing recently has come to an :eek: since I have crossed two blatant tracks on the 5 Boroughs. I wasn't oblvious to it when they made their appology at the MTV music awards for their use of calling women hoes etc or on the anthology/sounds of science in their new tracks, plus with Adam going to Tibet and reaching his spiritual height, no pun intended. I love the B-Boys, don't get me wrong, but I was pretty hyped about the new CD, and knowing their starting, going from punk to rap or whatever, I still think they are awesome, despite my opinion on the two tracks. I know that times are pretty tight when it comes to politics with the up and coming presidency and all, but for some of us that have been there from the "get-go", some of us are pretty shocked.
Peace-
Cali_Opinion :D

DroppinScience
09-25-2004, 07:43 PM
And your point is.....? :confused:

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Clearly made...stark confusion on the standing, grasped and attempts of coming to terms with...And I am a woman...so go figure

DroppinScience
09-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Haha! Well the Beastie Boys are the ultimate flip-floppers. :p

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 08:26 PM
CLEARLY, for those of us that are older...that have been following the B-Boys since they came from Punk to Mainstream (born before 1975), if that is what comes to be in your vocabulary ( I did not think that I would strike that much confusion in the younger generation), some of us despite the year, 1994...(I don't recall them being too political in their recordings that year, maybe it was college that has clouded my memory?) seem to feel that they have reached their political heights by changing their lyrics from "...no money for health care and that's a fact..." to " George W's got nothing on me..." despite what the claims of polictical standings or messages they are trying to get at. I didn't want to be abrupt with my message, but I guess that is the only way that I have to get my point across. In conclusion, I am beyond your age (respondents that are confused by my point) by my concluding statements that I have made in my past postings and have been hoping for an intellectual response to my opinion. As I have stated, other bands, such as Green Day, have stuck to punk and their opinions as not being the "American Idiot." Have the Beastie Boys fallen into political mainstream? I guess boys, that is what my question has narrowed down to.
Peace-
Cali_Opinion

adam_f
09-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by cali_opinion
CLEARLY, for those of us that are older...that have been following the B-Boys since they came from Punk to Mainstream (born before 1975), if that is what comes to be in your vocabulary ( I did not think that I would strike that much confusion in the younger generation), some of us despite the year, 1994...(I don't recall them being too political in their recordings that year, maybe it was college that has clouded my memory?) seem to feel that they have reached their political heights by changing their lyrics from "...no money for health care and that's a fact..." to " George W's got nothing on me..." despite what the claims of polictical standings or messages they are trying to get at. I didn't want to be abrupt with my message, but I guess that is the only way that I have to get my point across. In conclusion, I am beyond your age (respondents that are confused by my point) by my concluding statements that I have made in my past postings and have been hoping for an intellectual response to my opinion. As I have stated, other bands, such as Green Day, have stuck to punk and their opinions as not being the "American Idiot." Have the Beastie Boys fallen into political mainstream? I guess boys, that is what my question has narrowed down to.
Peace-
Cali_Opinion

Is Peace-
Cali_Opinion the equivalent of "Seacrest Out?"

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 09:03 PM
I am also a long time fan from when "She's on it" and "Fight for your right to party" were school party anthems. They were about having a good time, having fun, forget about your problems. Their live shows consisted of lots of beer, inflatable budweiser cans on stage, and women. I love their beats and music, but what happened to the good times? They have almost become depressing with these political lyrics that have seemed to have taken over. I do not see where the concern is now, back then, we had the threat of nuk war, but the party went on. Now we have different threats, but the same issues. Where are the good-time raps that were A-political, forget about your problems, have fun tracks. I do not agree with their political views, but I support their right to their oppinions, though. I am "fighting for my right to party" with my "brass monkey" and spanish fly with "no sleep 'til brooklyn"!!!!!
Party On!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Considering I am in my 30's, I guess I would be older than your 26...I guess I would be a boomin' granny! Ha ha! Oh, and Seacrest Out! I would not refer to myself as a third person, please refer to Kevin and Bean's LA radio station! Muchas Gracias benevilants... :rolleyes:

Funkaloyd
09-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Cali, you're looking for an "intellectual response" to "some of us are pretty shocked"? Forgive my youthful ignorance, but what were you expecting? A lengthy post on the psychological definition of shock?

Anyway, as you well know, the style and content of Fight For Your Right was already largely different than what they had started off with. Why should they be expected to stick with that stage in their career, rather than an earlier or later stage?

EN[i]GMA
09-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Beastie Boys

Aaahhn B-E-A-S-T-I-E go
B-E-A-S-T-I-E
That's just what Beasties gotta' be
Can't you see this is an emergency
Can you feel the urgency
B-E-A-S-T-I-E
B-E-A-S-T-I-E
With the hold of democracy
In a state of emergency now

Ahhnn going out to rock the state
Let's just come and take unique
All across the stormy sea
Better days in democracy
B-E-A-S-T-I-E
B-E-A-S-T-I-E
Captain stayed off so merrily
In a state of emergency now

Aaahhn B-E-A-S-T-I-E
Cops just don't have respect to me
World is filled with tyranny
All across the stormy sea
B-E-A-S-T-I-E
B-E-A-S-T-I-E
Who the hell are we off to see
Let's just come and take unique
Now B-E-A-S-T-I-E go
B-E-A-S-T-I-E go

Not political in the 80s huh?

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 09:54 PM
I see toast that your response, posted twice, is research on beastie's sponsering etc. I'm not writing regarding that. If you would have read what I have posted and noticed the statement "that I have been there since the get-go", maybe you would have more of an understanding of where I am coming from.
Not much goes above my head...if you are referring to other tracks that of which I have agreed to their standing on. I am stating that I have been a fan of the Beasties since '82, what of it? I guess you wouldn't understand considering A-party didn't fall into your idea of "party" at that time. I'm up with Beasties on age, that's why I state what I state, and stand where I stand. You either stand for what you are, or you regret what you have done. And yeah, I admit, I fall in the category of STILL buying the material for something that I don't agree with 100% in hopes of something new, or maybe hoping for improvement, like Depeche Mode or the Cure...they don't measure up nor fall into the same music category as the Beasties. You have been blinded by the light, and have not soaked up reality. In my admittance to my faults of being a fan of the Beasties does not mean I have to subdue myself to "granny" or not being "politically correct." I have EVERY Beastie Boys CD, and that means TAPES as well. BUT, I do not regret what I have done. Some of us learn from past mistakes, and some of us make public appologies and admit our faults. WE ARE ALL HUMAN. I never have disregarded the statements the B-Boys have made over the years, but
I have recognized the DIFFERENCE from "DISAGREEING" with a PRESIDENT, to now "POINTING OUT THE WRONGS OF A PRESIDENT. "
To that my friend is the overall conclusion of THE AMERICAN PUBLIC OF LIVING IN A COUNTRY THAT IS NON-SUPPORTIVE OF ONE ANOTHER, ONLY SUPPORTIVE OF "ONE"

yeahwho
09-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Well now in `82 did ya listen to X, Black Flag, Ramones, African Bambata, The Clash, U2, Elvis Costello, Grand Master Flash, Bruce Springsteen? All had overtly political records and 4 of those bands were at the top 10 of the Charts.

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 10:10 PM
A-B-C, you guys just don't see it. HI the Beastie Boys "WERE" Punk in the 80's, they went from PUNK, anarchy, anti-government, anti-anything!!!!!, CLEARLY against any particular party... ARGUE more. In the 80's when they were PUNK! It wasn't against just REPUBLICANS, it was just against GOVERNMENT...If they were still PUNK and political FROM THE GET GO, they wouldn't have been against "CLINTON" in '94 or '97 with the statement..."no money for health care and that's a fact..." to... "GEORGE W's got nothing on me..." WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND??? Do you all need an 80's history lesson? Not just listening to their music from then to now...oh wait, maybe you would understand MY STATEMENTS!!!!!!! Wake-up kiddies, smell the coffee! Beastie Boys have gone from Punk, "Supporting A specific idealism", to supporting the Democratic Party.
They went from one thing to another. You have all these "PUNK" bands out there that have NO clue on what anarchy or PUNK was all about. MY POINT IS!!!!!!!!! I will state this again....Beastie Boys were PUNK, then MAINSTREAM=supporting no political party, TO PEACE, GHANDI, Dali, ANTI-BUSH NOW!!! OR shouldn't they have been ANTI-CLINTON AND STATING IT? WHAT IS POLITICALLY CORRECT? WHY ARE THEY SINGLING OUT BUSH SPECIFICALLY? WHY WASN'T IT REAGAN IN THE 80'S? DO YOU NOT GET IT STILL? i think I have said enough!

BITE ME

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 10:20 PM
To the piece of shits who do not know what the hell you are talking about, get a record player to play your vinyl or just stick them up your ass!!!!!!!!!! So to the other shit head, thats right, I had the tape that had "she's on it" before they were big, my point dumb ass!!!!!!!!!! Go smoke your crack pipe because you clearly have one or two brain cells left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Well you should take that upon the Beastie Boys's past, because that is what they proclaimed they were about. Get over yourself, and your "self-proclamations" on what the 80's was all about... you don't know, clearly by your pre-mature statements. I guess you didn't know about their drummer that their female drummer died before they were BIG, which was against their "bitches and hoes" statements of degregation in Licensed to Ill and then some...

DroppinScience
09-25-2004, 10:41 PM
I love their beats and music, but what happened to the good times? They have almost become depressing with these political lyrics that have seemed to have taken over. I do not see where the concern is now, back then, we had the threat of nuk war, but the party went on. Now we have different threats, but the same issues. Where are the good-time raps that were A-political, forget about your problems, have fun tracks. I do not agree with their political views, but I support their right to their oppinions, though. I am "fighting for my right to party" with my "brass monkey" and spanish fly with "no sleep 'til brooklyn"!!!!!
Party On!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you on about? :confused:

Beastie Boys, from Licensed to Ill (and their hardcore punk days as well) straight through until "To The 5 Boroughs" have been FUN good times. Just because they're now politically conscious, it doesn't mean the party is dead.

What I like about the Beastie Boys is how they're a bunch of goofballs with hilarious rhymes that you could break dance to BUT they also have something to say!

Sure, the Beasties bash Bush (several times over) on the new album, but my God are they having a blast doing so. And if you love Bush so much (like you seem to) then forget those attacks, they got "Triple Trouble" and "Ch-Check It Out" as raps that are "A-political, forget about your problems, have fun tracks."

You just ramble on incoherently about a bunch of nothing. If you don't want anything socially conscious in your music, then go listen to *NSync if that pesky "real world" is so threatening.

P.S. - There was no threat of nuclear war in 1986 either.

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 10:41 PM
fucktard, prime choice, and mature choice of words. I see that you have no come back for the point that I have been trying to make all along, thanks for wasting my time.

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 11:01 PM
I never said I was an anarchist...and I stand strong on my statement on what they have come from. OH WAIT, no one could be a bigger fan than you :rolleyes: cause you are only 26 and know it all? right? I'm not claiming that I know it all, and I'm not stating that I'm for one political party or the other. I was specifically measuring out the extremes. EXCUSE ME for reading between the lines. OBVIOUSLY no one else does. Just, oh I have the vinyl, BFD! I'm not stating that I am more mature than you, but my point of political extremes has been made, and if yet you still don't see it, that's fine. Support what you want, I could never decide that, and don't expect you to. That is what makes us different, and why my SN is CALI_OPINION! IT WAS MY OPINION, and it STILL IS, MY OPINION! You did not assist in altering it, nor did you provide any information to make me think differently. I have had this opinion for 7 "+", if you would have SEEN, years. All you did was make me roll my ass, and think that you were an ass. Thanks for your opinions and bs. Happy Election, and such. :)

yeahwho
09-25-2004, 11:02 PM
You know what, cali_opinion, I have been reading your posts over and over, I tried to read it with my head cocked a little to the right, then bent to the left. I read your posts with my eyes squinted, then I read them with shades on. Then I figured out what you were saying, you know how? I shoved my head up my ass and your posts became perfectly clear. :D (y) :D

Funkaloyd
09-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Apparently the point is as clear as day, you just can't see it unless you're over thirty and are the one and only original awesome old-skool Beasties fan.

cali_opinion
09-25-2004, 11:06 PM
how nice of you to try to figure my posts, and then finally indulge yourself in your own shit... (n) Sounds like you thought long and hard

yeahwho
09-25-2004, 11:07 PM
how nice of you to try to figure my posts, and then finally indulge yourself in your own shit... (n) Sounds like you thought long and hard

Thanks for the motivation! (y)

D_Raay
09-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Remind me to never piss you guys off sheesh. This poor woman got straight up ass reemed.
Cali, I believe I understand the point you are trying to make. First, I was born in 1971 and I have devoured anything the Beasties have ever done since i was old enough to break dance on my grandmother's kitchen floor. ;) I think maybe you feel they have somewhat sold out to a specific cause that may or may not be better than the alternatives. I disagree, let me explain why; it's in one of their lines in track 4 that I am sure is one of the tracks you are objectionable to. They say" we need a "little" shift on over to the left". Key word there is "little". I believe they think like I do. I am no big fan of either of the 2 major parties, but I do recognize a serious threat when I see it. Hell, if Bush were a democrat and was doing the things he has done over the last 4 years I would be voting republican. I was thrilled when they first put out "In a world gone mad" because the band I have loved since I was a wee lad in parachute pants was letting it's fans know that they were indeed aware of the threat that THIS administration posed and weren't afraid to talk about it.

Then again I may be wrong and am missing your point altogether like everyone else that has posted.

DroppinScience
09-26-2004, 01:41 AM
For a 30+ woman, she sounds like a 14-year-old on a sugar high posting way past her bedtime. :p

Schmeltz
09-26-2004, 02:39 AM
Perhaps you should consider the extent to which that change reflects the society in which it was produced. What is this music reacting against? Does artistic change emerge from a vacuum? If not, what could have produced such a drastic alteration?

Marlene
09-26-2004, 08:44 AM
I can't even fathom the original intent of this thread, but.....

From my perspective....as someone who thought the Beastie Boys had sold out when they released LTI - esp. FFYR (thinking they had followed in the path of Billy Idol, etc...even though I must admit I kinda liked the beats back then)...I don't think the Beasties have changed uber much politically....I think rather they've broadened their outlook through wisdom and experience.

DroppinScience....I have to disagree with you on one point...there was a threat of nuclear war in 1986. From my perspective as long as nuclear weaponry exists the threat is clear and present.....and i mean with reagan in the white house???

cali_opinion...are you implying depeche mode and the cure have improved over the years?

QueenAdrock
09-26-2004, 11:19 AM
I'd say she was just another gmsisko alias...but she didn't have enough spelling errors. Her posts have about as much substance as a George Bush speech.

"I'm 30 and I read between the lines! Kate Schellenbach died in 1982! PUNK ROCK!"

OMG! I bet it's sisko's wife!

ms.peachy
09-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Remind me to never piss you guys off sheesh. This poor woman got straight up ass reemed.

Don't cry for her, Argentina - the truth is, she totally asked for it.

Puh leeze. I am 35, closing in on 36. I too was an early fan, from those as she put it 'party anthem' days. But hey, you know what? I am older now, and more mature. I've travelled and lived in other countries, and explored the foundations of my beliefs - in some cases, adjusting them. I have a broader worldview and greater perspective than I did at 15. Shockingly, it seems, so have the Boys!!!!! :rolleyes:

D_Raay
09-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Don't cry for her, Argentina - the truth is, she totally asked for it.

Puh leeze. I am 35, closing in on 36. I too was an early fan, from those as she put it 'party anthem' days. But hey, you know what? I am older now, and more mature. I've travelled and lived in other countries, and explored the foundations of my beliefs - in some cases, adjusting them. I have a broader worldview and greater perspective than I did at 15. Shockingly, it seems, so have the Boys!!!!! :rolleyes:
That's exactly my take on it too. :D Except for the her asking for it part. I don't believe she quite knew how to make her point. Maybe someone should have helped her along.

DroppinScience
09-26-2004, 01:10 PM
DroppinScience....I have to disagree with you on one point...there was a threat of nuclear war in 1986. From my perspective as long as nuclear weaponry exists the threat is clear and present.....and i mean with reagan in the white house???

You got a point there, but at this time the Cold War was in the decline and Gorby and Reagan didn't have their hands on the button.

If she's trying to convince me that 1986 was like 1962 for a nuclear threat, I remain completely unconvinced. :rolleyes:

Funkaloyd
09-26-2004, 08:59 PM
I don't believe she quite knew how to make her point

Perhaps, but only a few posts in she was making the assumption that anybody who didn't clearly understand her disjointed posts must be younger and/or less of a fan than her.

Ace42
09-27-2004, 06:30 AM
Yes, I noticed that. Considering the English was very broken, I found that a bit of a cheek as well.

yeahwho
09-27-2004, 01:49 PM
I cannot patronize people who tell me that they are Beasties fans from way back, then tell me they are screwing up their music/art now. Why would I sell myself short? Especially here, this is the Beastie Boys Message Board.

I used to get sloppy drunk and call right wing radio shows and promote war. At least I was on their page. They would tone me down, yet say they understand my bent and frustration. I think we got trolled and scrolled here.

Like the Public Enemy say,
Got a hell of a nerve to just criticize
Welcome To The Terrordome

ASsman
09-27-2004, 03:19 PM
GOD, not another one of these threads. Its obvious fans come from all walks of life. Believe me cali_whatever, you are following in the footsteps of 14 year olds. Posting here being angry about something that has been around for ever. Don't like them, don't want to support their beliefs, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM, DON'T BUY THEIR MUSIC, FUCK OFF.

yeahwho
09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Don't like them, don't want to support their beliefs, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM, DON'T BUY THEIR MUSIC, FUCK OFF.

LMAO, That just about sums it up. Biuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutch.