PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Times Concert Preview - brief Adrock interview

sea_dragon
09-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Somehow I missed this last weekend (apologies if it's already been posted, but I didn't see it when I searched):
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2002038603_beastieboys19.html

(And yes, Patrick McDonald is an ass) (ETA: witness the fact that he gets Adrock's age wrong. And that he seemed to think they were going to play Fight for Your Right)

Concert Preview
Party boys to rock Seattle's boroughs

By Patrick MacDonald
Seattle Times music critic

Sasquatch travels all the way from here to New York to confront the Beastie Boys in the wild, funny video for "Triple Trouble," the second single to be released from the rap group's latest album, "To the 5 Boroughs."

Turns out the monster that supposedly lurks in the Northwest woods is quite well known to the New York City-based party boys, who bring their latest tour to KeyArena tonight.

"I spend a lot of time in the Seattle and Tacoma area," Beastie Boy Adam "King Ad-Rock" Horovitz said in a phone interview. "Olympia. Lacey. You know, I'm hip!"

He said he was especially pumped about playing KeyArena, because he's such a basketball nut.

"I'm a Sonics fan," he confessed. "I'm a Knicks fan first, but I got a soft spot for the Sonics. I love Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp and that era. And so to play in the same building where that happened is, like, intense."

Horovitz also has had an eight-year relationship with Kathleen Hanna, head of the New York punk band Le Tigre. One of the original Riot Grrls in the '80s, she was in Olympia's Bikini Kill, an influential all-female punk band.

Hanna also was the late Kurt Cobain's girlfriend when they both lived in Olympia, which is why she got famously sucker-punched in the face by Courtney Love, his widow, backstage at Lollapalooza '95 at the Gorge.

I was hoping Horovitz had a comment about that, or about Le Tigre. But, while he acknowledged his relationship with Hanna, he refused to talk about it.

"I don't feel like talking about relationship stuff to the press, y'know?" he said, testily.

Asked, at the beginning of the interview, where he was calling from, Horovitz replied, "I'm in Manhattan, New York City, New York." It happened to have been the last day of the Republican National Convention, the night President Bush spoke. Although there are a couple of virulent anti-Bush raps on the new album — "That's It, That's All" and "Time to Build" — and the Beastie Boys are actively supporting John Kerry, Horovitz said he wouldn't be joining the protests in the streets that day.

"I've already had three different friends arrested," he explained. "Honestly, I don't feel like getting arrested right now. I got a lot of [stuff] to do. I've been arrested before and I didn't like it. I guess we're protesting more over the long term."

"So what were you arrested for?" I asked.

"It has nothing to do with this," he shot back.

I noted that the Beastie Boys' Web site (www.beastieboys.com) had a poll in which almost half the respondents said they were either not interested in politics or they wished the Beastie Boys, and other entertainers, would shut up about it.

"It's unbelievable," Horovitz said. "It's like a fine line of how we can go out and talk to people and make people understand it's crucial. In my young lifetime [he turns 37 on Halloween] this seems like the most crucial election. It's a shame. It's really a shame.

"But, you know, it's a party. We're there to have a party, and to put on a party and, you know, that's what our goal is for our concert. But there's no reason why you can't get deep at a party."

Certainly one of the highlights of the party/concert will be the Beastie Boys' signature hit, "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)," the song that made them instant stars in 1986, and made their debut album, "Licensed to Ill," the first rap album to hit No. 1 in Billboard.

Horovitz, son of noted playwright Israel Horovitz, was 14 when he joined Adam "MCA" Yauch and Mike "Mike D" Diamond, also sons of wealthy New York families, in the Beastie Boys in 1982. They released several singles and EPs and became local rap stars in New York before making it big.

Their slammin' performance style, clever, funny lyrics and partytime image made the Beastie Boys one of the most popular bands of the 1990s. Their last album, 1998's "Hello Nasty," debuted at No. 1 in Billboard and yielded the hit "Intergalatic."

After six years without an album, there was much anticipation for "To the 5 Buroughs," which was released in June. It sold briskly initially, earning a platinum certification for selling a million copies. But it has been a major commercial disappointment for an album that was expected to be one of the blockbusters of the year.

Its major problem is that, while rap has moved on, the Beastie Boys haven't. The album has lots of energy and fun raps, but the music sounds stale and flat. Rap production is more sophisticated these days, but the Beasties seem stuck in the '90s.

Concertgoers tonight probably won't want to hear much from the new CD. They want the stuff from the Beasties' heyday, the mid- to late-'80s, including such hits as "She's On It," "Hey Ladies" and "Intergalatic."

Horovitz wouldn't say how many of the songs from the new album would be in the show (not many, he hinted), adding that the set list changes every night. But, he assured the fans, "We will play all our music."

ragdoll_92
09-26-2004, 01:36 PM
I gotta say that as a trainee music journo, when folks dont do their research it really insults me. Its not hard to get someone age right after all. If u dont know then try asking!

Bloody idiots

sea_dragon
09-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I wish the poll results were still up...because this tool got it wrong. Only a small percentage voted for "shut up".

That's the journalistic way to spin the data, lump the don't know/don't cares into whichever group you want to be largest. In reality most of those people who said they "weren't interested in politics" (notice he subtly changed the meaning too? The choice was "Doesn't matter to me. I can take it or leave it. I just like the music.") - anyway, the gist of what most of them said was that the politics wouldn't affect whether they bought or listened to the CD or they thought it was the Beasties right to say it even if they disagreed.

Oh yeah, those poll results are here:
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=25525

stillill
09-27-2004, 04:44 PM
"So what were you arrested for?" I asked.

Its major problem is that, while rap has moved on, the Beastie Boys haven't. The album has lots of energy and fun raps, but the music sounds stale and flat. Rap production is more sophisticated these days, but the Beasties seem stuck in the '90s.

Concertgoers tonight probably won't want to hear much from the new CD. They want the stuff from the Beasties' heyday, the mid- to late-'80s, including such hits as "She's On It," "Hey Ladies" and "Intergalatic."

Wow! This is exactly why I don't read the Times or the P.I. They always have ridiculious articles that make no sense. I read the New York Times whenever I read the paper, which isn't often.

I was cracking up when I read that article; it's as if he's never even heard or read anything about the Beasties. He could have at least spent an hour doing research before he came up with his questions. If he did, he would have known what Horovitz was arrested for, it wasn't exactly low-profile. He also wouldn't have wasted all of that time asking personal, intrusive questions.

I'm not sure what stuff from the nineties TT5B sounds like, is old-school rap now in the nineties? Someone needs to buy this guy a timeline. Since when is 1998 in the mid-late eighties-because that's the year that "Intergalactic was released, 1998. I actually don't think that there is one true thing in that article.

sea_dragon
09-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Everyone in Seattle who knows anything about music (particularly "alternative"-type music) knows that Patrick McDonald is a dumbass. I don't think he really cares for anything except what my friends call butt-rock, particularly 70's butt-rock - if I recall correctly, he's considered to be an expert on Heart. :p They used to have another writer (Melanie McFarland) doing reviews for more recent artists, and she actually seemed to have a clue about some of the bands. But I haven't seen anything from her recently, just an occasional "special to the Times" writer with no credentials listed.

So yeah, he's been writing screwy articles like this for 20+ years, and it doesn't seem to matter if the details aren't quite accurate.

yeahwho
09-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Everyone in Seattle who knows anything about music (particularly "alternative"-type music) knows that Patrick McDonald is a dumbass.

sea_dragon ain't bullshittin' ya, I can vouch! Patrick McDonald is nearing 60. He was a cool cat in the 60's, editor of the Helix a local underground paper.
He just seems to miss the point in the humor of todays music. He never really understood The Ramones and christ that was like 30 years ago and he's still writing.

jennyb
09-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Thank you Sea Dragon for sharing, love to read any bit of press on the bboys. So I'm not hatin' on you, but this tool of a reporter who should've thanked his lucky stars for this interview... whoa... Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I just couldn't take it! I have to vent...

"I was hoping Horovitz had a comment about that, or about Le Tigre. But, while he acknowledged his relationship with Hanna, he refused to talk about it." What a dirt digger! Sheesh buddy, get a LIFE!

""So what were you arrested for?" I asked." If ya need to ask then you'll never know.

"Certainly one of the highlights of the party/concert will be the Beastie Boys' signature hit, "(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)," " AS IF... try Time to Get Ill or Eggman... pal.

"But it has been a major commercial disappointment for an album that was expected to be one of the blockbusters of the year." Good! I hope all those pop loving masses do not buy this album. And it's left for the true fans to enjoy in peace.

Thanks, now I feel better. :)

plutomama
09-27-2004, 10:35 PM
sea, thanks for posting this article, i missed this one.

this "journalist" was a jackass, his opinion had nothing to do with the concert they played in town or the new album. fuck this guy.

liberty_a320
09-28-2004, 03:39 AM
I gotta say that as a trainee music journo, when folks dont do their research it really insults me. Its not hard to get someone age right after all. If u dont know then try asking!

Bloody idiots

Exactly what I was thinking (since I will be majoring in journalism/communications). Regarding the reporting of the poll results, it's interesting because today in my WRI 1100 class, we were just talking about how unreliable sources can misconstrue and lump statistics. Now I have an example of what that is.

Extra Cheese
09-28-2004, 12:03 PM
and the Beastie Boys are actively supporting John Kerry,

i dont believe thats true.

katie337
09-28-2004, 02:30 PM
-shakes head-
who the fuck does this guy think he is?

chcheckitout
09-28-2004, 05:41 PM
i dont believe thats true.

i dont think so either- just because the beasties are against George Bush, doesn't mean they are for John Kerry...i know that MCA spoke at a Nader event back in 2000 (in NYC).

Bourgie
09-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Who edited this article? :confused: Was it even edited? :confused: Not only is there inaccurate information but also spelling errors.

This was done by a junior high schooler wasn't it?! :D :p

Extra Cheese
10-02-2004, 12:17 PM
You're wrong.

yes I am.

I just remember Yauch saying he doesnt know much about Kerry but whatever he does he couldnt be as bad as Bush.. that doesnt sound like "active support" more like settling for the least worse which is why i said i dont believe they were doing that(actively supporting). but after reading Mike D's comments it is support for kerry,,,, at least from Mike D it is.

buzz
10-06-2004, 03:14 AM
What I don't understand is why Adam did not say "You're not getting into my personal life, that's my answer, and if you don't like, then Hey Fuck You, Mr. McDonald"....before hanging up the phone on what was much less of an interview than it was an interrogation.

This old dickhead certainly does not help to displace the myth that all Press suck...even though some segments of the media are very fair and good at what they do. Did I mention that this guy is a dickhead? He probably even got a backstage pass.

"...uh, I c-can't hear...we're uh, breaking up!". Click. Dialtone....