PDA

View Full Version : Al Jazeera

SobaViolence
09-26-2004, 10:32 PM
so, for some reason, i decided to peruse the al jazeera website(in english) and see what all the hub bub is about.

and let me tell you...it's pretty good. not even close to being an 'arab fox' i'd even suggest it's a better news source than cnn. but then i remind myself that maybe it's different in arabic, 30 seconds later i decide, fuck it. let's check this out.

al jazeera isn't that bad. hell they have a piece on arab reform and it is light years ahead of mainstream american media.

check this (http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/304E377D-0D93-49DA-BF95-8E342649147A.htm) out.

please, don't shy away. homeland security won't swoop in on you. give it a try.

unless you're a narrow minded asshole...and i know who you are.

Funkaloyd
09-27-2004, 12:07 AM
There could be a large difference between what they put on their website and what they broadcast (I think that can be said of Fox News), but then again, the people who say that Al Jazeera is a terrorist propaganda network are the same who say that the US media is too harsh on Bush.

saz
09-27-2004, 12:34 AM
yeah, it (http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeyesunday/controlroom/index.html) was good...but this (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/14/60minutes/main617617.shtml) should be considered as well

"The terms used in the reports are not neutral. In a report from Fallujah, the Al-Jazeera correspondent says that 'hundreds of families are fleeing…. after every home has become a potential target of American planes,' and that the youth of the town are filling graves 'crowded with the bodies of martyrs.'

Alhurra's coverage of the war in Iraq has been extensive. But the language Alhurra uses and the emphasis and tone of its broadcasts are very different.
In a recent report, also on Fallujah, American forces are called just that --'American forces,' not 'occupiers.' Their bombing of the town is described as 'targeting gunmen there,' not civilians.

While noting 'the death of civilians -- including women and children,' the Alhurra report says 'the bombing was focused, precise, and accurate.' It goes on to say that the coalition forces’ stated objective, "is to prevent chaos and restore order in Fallujah."

SobaViolence
09-27-2004, 01:59 AM
yeah, of course that alhura or whatever is a arabic translator for the bush admin.

im just saying how well al jazeera, in english at least, reports the news.

infidel
09-27-2004, 04:10 AM
I've been reading Jizzer for quite some time, they have been consistent in condemning terrorism and extremist Muslims ever since 9/11. They do spice up their reporting to make it interesting but then again all the media does.

Ace42
09-27-2004, 06:29 AM
I and several of my associates have been reading Al Jazeera for a while. We can't see what the fuss is about, but then, the UK is used to *truly* unbiased and independant reporting, and thus we are astute enough to disregard the opinion and concentrate on the facts.

The BBC carried a documentary about Al Jazeera's role in the war on Iraq, and that was incredibly interesting. Actually seeing the news team at work surrounded by MSNBC, ABC, NBC, etc teams all around them at the US military in Iraq media centre was very illuminating. They seemed to get on very well with the colleague, there was a lot of mutual understanding, and despite being very pressed and harrangued they had a genuine intention of getting to the truth, rather than presenting a populist side of it. When one of the office juniors had put the lead anchor up with an interview with a real left-wing nut job (and he was, totally ranting) the CEO swooped in and started telling him off. He said "But he is American!" and the CEO was saying "That is not good enough, we are presenting facts. This is not an opinion piece, and there is no counter argument, so it is not unbiased."

And of course they had footage of the news team responding to the news that the Al Jazeera building in Baghdhad had got specifically targetted by an A-10, including carrying the film of their correspondant (Tarek Ayhouub) who had been filming from the roof, live, when it happened. Seeing the replay of the live footage - with the A-10 flying past, turning round, the nose going down and it coming straight for them, then BAM. It was pretty sickening. Also considering on the self-same day, 2 other independant Arab news channels got bombed.

And we all know about the Reuter's news team that got abducted by US infantry and intimidcated (and beaten.)

The Establishment's stance on Al Jazeera is totally defamatory. But then, they treat it like they treat Kerry and any other political obstacle. If it says stuff you don't like, smear, smear and more smear.

saz
09-27-2004, 09:53 AM
yeah, of course that alhura or whatever is a arabic translator for the bush admin.

and how can you be so sure? That's like saying the BBC is a mouthpiece for Tony Blair, or the CBC for Paul Martin...which is the furthest thing from the truth.

SobaViolence
09-27-2004, 11:35 AM
well, an arab network based in Virginia, funded by the US gov't...nothing solid, but i'd be more skeptical than BBC or CBC