PDA

View Full Version : Daily Show's audience more educated than Bill O'Reilly's audience

DroppinScience
09-27-2004, 10:54 PM
File this under the "obvious" department, but it's always nice to see some proof. (y)

-------------------------------

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6117542/

‘Stoned slackers’ watch Jon Stewart?
Bill O’Reilly's viewers are actually less educated than Stewart's
The Associated Press
Updated: 7:54 p.m. ET Sept. 27, 2004

NEW YORK - The folks at Comedy Central were annoyed when Fox News Channel’s Bill O’Reilly kept referring to “The Daily Show” audience as “stoned slackers.”

So they did a little research. And guess whose audience is more educated?

Viewers of Jon Stewart’s show are more likely to have completed four years of college than people who watch “The O’Reilly Factor,” according to Nielsen Media Research.

O’Reilly’s teasing came when Stewart appeared on his show earlier this month.

“You know what’s really frightening?” O’Reilly said. “You actually have an influence on this presidential election. That is scary, but it’s true. You’ve got stoned slackers watching your dopey show every night and they can vote.”

Comedy Central executives realized, and O’Reilly acknowledged, that he was poking fun. But they said they didn’t want a misconception to persist.

“If the head of General Motors was watching O’Reilly’s show, that could be very important to us,” said Doug Herzog, Comedy Central president.

“If you listen to O’Reilly, you get the sense that it was crazy longhairs behind the show,” he said. “And it’s not. It’s great, smart television that attracts a well-compensated audience, most of whom are voting age.”

No sense of humor at Comedy Central?
Relax, said Fox News Channel spokesman Rob Zimmerman.

‘Who is more undecided than stoned slackers? Ice cream or pretzels? Ice cream or pretzels? What’s it going to be?’

— Jon Stewart
‘Daily Show’ host

“Comedy Central must have lost their sense of humor,” Zimmerman said. “Without Jon Stewart, Comedy Central would turn into the Great American Country Channel.”

Comedy Central also touted a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania’s National Annenberg Election Survey, which said young viewers of “The Daily Show” were more likely to answer questions about politics correctly than those who don’t.

Comedy Central had no statistics on how many people watch “The Daily Show” stoned.

Although seemingly taken aback by repeated “stoned slackers” references while talking with O’Reilly, Stewart was ready with a joke.

“This election is going to rely on the undecided,” he said. “And who is more undecided than stoned slackers? Ice cream or pretzels? Ice cream or pretzels? What’s it going to be?”

Whether it’s the slacker or no-slacker zone, O’Reilly is entering it Oct. 7, when he’s scheduled to appear on “The Daily Show.”

So if Stewart’s audience is comprised of stoned slackers, how would Herzog describe O’Reilly’s audience?

“I’m not getting into that game,” he said.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

SobaViolence
09-27-2004, 11:07 PM
what a fucking douchebag.

DroppinScience
09-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Who, me, Jon Stewart or Bill O'Reilly? :confused:

SobaViolence
09-27-2004, 11:21 PM
o'reilly

and maybe you....;)

DJ_Skrilla
09-28-2004, 12:31 AM
what a fucking douchebag.

yeah o-reilly is. someone needs to email this to that fuckin idiot, actually spam all the fuking tools over there at FAUX news. :eek:

yeahwho
09-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Bill O'Reilly is the Stupidest Rudest Most Hateful Man I've ever seen achieve success in American Television. End of Discussion.

He will pay for his sins, that much is sure.

Whois
09-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Bill O'Reilly is the Stupidest Rudest Most Hateful Man I've ever seen achieve success in American Television. End of Discussion.

He will pay for his sins, that much is sure.

My guess is that you've never listened to Michael Savage (aka Weiner).

ASsman
09-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Douche. (y)

Ace42
09-28-2004, 09:50 AM
0'Reilly got 0'wn3d.

EN[i]GMA
09-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Savage is the biggest prick imaginable. Don't even get me started.

Echewta
09-28-2004, 10:56 AM
If you vote for John Stewart, you are voting for the terrorist. Bill O has made this country safer.

yeahwho
09-28-2004, 11:41 AM
My guess is that you've never listened to Michael Savage (aka Weiner).

Michael Savage is a Radio Guy, the competition is thicker in radio. He is definately in the Top 4 as far as achieving "radio success." It's hard to beat Rush Limbaugh for an overall general radio asshole. But Savage Nation is very close to Stupidest Rudest Most Hateful Man/Show to achieve radio success.

The thing is Rush Limbaugh has some sort of a kickback/residuals/percentage type of thing every time he mentions Clinton. I think he gets an extra penny if it's Hilliary Clinton. Then he repeats the same topic over and over and over and over and over...then he'll slander and laugh. But Clinton is involved in every topic.

Their must be alot of morons listening to AM radio. LOL!

Echewta
09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
http://www.dearjonstewart.com/

yeahwho
09-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Did it! CC'd it to everyone on my email. Thanks,

my comment Dear Jon...To keep your objectivity intact and your journalistic playing ground nuetral, make a mention of how important voter registration is, the deadlines for many states is nearing. You can also say I don't endorse either candidate, but Bush Blows.

Whois
09-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Michael Savage is a Radio Guy, the competition is thicker in radio. He is definately in the Top 4 as far as achieving "radio success." It's hard to beat Rush Limbaugh for an overall general radio asshole. But Savage Nation is very close to Stupidest Rudest Most Hateful Man/Show to achieve radio success.

The thing is Rush Limbaugh has some sort of a kickback/residuals/percentage type of thing every time he mentions Clinton. I think he gets an extra penny if it's Hilliary Clinton. Then he repeats the same topic over and over and over and over and over...then he'll slander and laugh. But Clinton is involved in every topic.

Their must be alot of morons listening to AM radio. LOL!

Yeah, I'd forgotten that he'd lost his tv show...now he can only ruin our ears.

laserx54
09-28-2004, 01:59 PM
Bill O'Reilly is the real terrorist

QueenAdrock
09-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Hahaha, O'Reilly on Jon Stewart? He's gonna be mauled.

yeahwho
09-28-2004, 05:18 PM

I guess I'm surprised that more of you are not willing to write a dear jon letter. I don't think you need to use a real name, seeing how I'm below Michael Moore from Flint U.

I see this as a springboard into action, this is a good way to get your feet wet. Plus I'd like to see your smartass letters, 3 of the 20 I cc'd have responded, #1042, #1011, #1009, and #974. It's fun.

I think that 1 is all that counts because they probably do count isp's.

Do it! It's more fun than the same old BB. Then someday let's raid a BB with some subtle infiltration. CyberMobbing is Kewl! :D http://www.dearjonstewart.com/

Bob
09-28-2004, 05:21 PM
O’Reilly is entering it Oct. 7, when he’s scheduled to appear on “The Daily Show.”

vcr is....set

BGirl
09-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Hahaha, O'Reilly on Jon Stewart? He's gonna be mauled.

I need to mark that one on my calendar! I love The Daily Show but somehow always forget to watch... I need to get back in the habit.

By the way, check this out, it's from the RNC:

Daily Show billboard (http://www.apartment5d.com/special/rnc/Pages/DSCN0965.html)

SobaViolence
09-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Welcome to New York.
That smell?
Freedom.

Whois
09-29-2004, 09:51 AM
Welcome to New York.
That smell?
Freedom.

Cooking bacon?
:D

bricktamland196
10-18-2004, 09:37 PM
www.ditchweed.net

hee.

drobertson420
10-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Yes, But O'Reily's Audience is Kinkier ;)

drobertson420
10-22-2004, 05:55 AM
....More Loofah Pervs per capita ;)