PDA

View Full Version : The story that didn't run

D_Raay
09-28-2004, 11:38 AM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6073449/site/newsweek/
In its rush to air its now discredited story about President George W. Bush’s National Guard service, CBS bumped another sensitive piece slated for the same “60 Minutes” broadcast: a half-hour segment about how the U.S. government was snookered by forged documents purporting to show Iraqi efforts to purchase uranium from Niger.
A team of “60 Minutes” correspondents and consulting reporters spent more than six months investigating the Niger uranium documents fraud, CBS sources tell NEWSWEEK. The group landed the first ever on-camera interview with Elisabetta Burba, the Italian journalist who first obtained the phony documents, as well as her elusive source, Rocco Martino, a mysterious Roman businessman with longstanding ties to European intelligence agencies.
Although the edited piece never ended up identifying Martino by name, the story, narrated by “60 Minutes” correspondent Ed Bradley, asked tough questions about how the White House came to embrace the fraudulent documents and why administration officials chose to include a 16-word reference to the questionable uranium purchase in President Bush’s 2003 State of the Union speech.

But just hours before the piece was set to air on the evening of Sept. 8, the reporters and producers on the CBS team were stunned to learn the story was being scrapped to make room for a seemingly sensational story about new documents showing that Bush ignored a direct order to take a flight physical while serving in the National Guard more than 30 years ago.

----
Oh the irony..

yeahwho
09-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey D_raay, good catch.

Thanks for pla........er.........posting that.

D_Raay
09-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey D_raay, good catch.

Thanks for pla........er.........posting that.
?? what did I catch? Am I missing the humor?

yeahwho
09-28-2004, 12:03 PM
No humor, just didn't know about the story that didn't run. Hence, "nice catch" and "thanks for posting". I'm Serious.

D_Raay
09-28-2004, 12:04 PM
No humor, just didn't know about the story that didn't run. Hence, "nice catch" and "thanks for posting". I'm Serious.
Well, I was wondering what the pla......er.......posting reference was.