PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Potato Biscuits

abcdefz
09-30-2004, 07:55 AM
...just in time for fall.

So easy, yet so awesome.

SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

1/4 cup roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
1 cup cooked sweet potatoes
4 teaspoons safflower oil
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Roast the seeds on a baking sheet at 300 degrees (150 celsius) for 10 minutes.

Now boost that oven to 375 degrees.

Get a big bowl and mash the potatoes with oil and sugar.

Separate bowl: mix the dry ingredients.

Fold the dry ingredients into the potato mixture, and stir it just until everything's combined. Don't overmix it, or the biscuits won't be as light.

Roll the dough out until about 1/2 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter (I use a small glass) and cut 2 inch rounds.

Bake for fifteen minutes. That's it.

Happy autumn!

Pres Zount
09-30-2004, 09:20 AM
That sounds nice and I think I may actally try my hand at this difficult recipe

HEIRESS
09-30-2004, 07:15 PM
COOOOOOOOOL BUT IM GONNA USE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR INSTEAD AND SEE WHAT HAPPENSSSSSSSS

ScarySquirrel
09-30-2004, 09:02 PM
This really does sound quite good. I think I'll give it a shot, and if it tastes good enough, I just might have to make some more for some ladies.

brooklyn_bred
10-01-2004, 02:36 AM
i haven't tried that yet..sounds hot. can someone come over to my house and cook them for me...lol

abcdefz
10-01-2004, 09:45 AM
They're so easy.... all the time is in baking the potatoes (to mash them) and then baking the biscuits themselves.

They taste pretty good with jam, too.

But, yeah -- these are one of those treats you can really impress people with, because they're so good, yet so friggin' easy to make. It would be a good thing for a parent to use to introduce a child to cooking.

abcdefz
10-25-2006, 02:05 PM
*bump*

...don't forget what to do with your pumpkin seeds, kids. :D

cosmo105
10-25-2006, 02:44 PM
oo! that sounds awesome. thanks a-z!

Funkyfreshgrape
10-25-2006, 02:51 PM
...just in time for fall.

So easy, yet so awesome.

SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

1/4 cup roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
1 cup cooked sweet potatoes
4 teaspoons safflower oil
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Roast the seeds on a baking sheet at 300 degrees (150 celsius) for 10 minutes.

Now boost that oven to 375 degrees.

Get a big bowl and mash the potatoes with oil and sugar.

Separate bowl: mix the dry ingredients.

Fold the dry ingredients into the potato mixture, and stir it just until everything's combined. Don't overmix it, or the biscuits won't be as light.

Roll the dough out until about 1/2 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter (I use a small glass) and cut 2 inch rounds.

Bake for fifteen minutes. That's it.

Happy autumn!
word...

MC Moot
10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
mmmm that does sound very fall appropriate...i can't bake....:( only bisquick scones turn out,everything else falls,flops or burns........large dent in the culinary armor.....

cosmo105
10-29-2006, 04:23 PM
a-z. i'm in the middle of making these (cooked sweet potatoes in the mixer) and you say "add sugar." HOW MUCH SUGAR, PRAY TELL? :mad:

cosmo105
10-29-2006, 05:54 PM
i just guesstimated and added about a tablespoon and a half of sugar, and instead of oil used about a tablespoon of vegan butter and about an ounce of soymilk. oh, i also added about half a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry stuff. when it was all incorporated i added a handful of raisins. it took way longer than 15 minutes to bake, but they're quite yummy. i think they'd be even better with brown sugar instead of white. and it was sort of difficult to get them baked all the way through...maybe i'd omit the soymilk next time. nice recipe, though, a-z.

abcdefz
10-30-2006, 09:45 AM
a-z. i'm in the middle of making these (cooked sweet potatoes in the mixer) and you say "add sugar." HOW MUCH SUGAR, PRAY TELL?

Holy crap! I screwed it up.

I'll check the recipe when I get home. I think it's supposed to be, like, three gallons.

My bad. I am lothesome. :( (n) :( (n) :(

No... actually, I think you're about right. It doesn't take much, as I recall.

abcdefz
10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
i just guesstimated and added about a tablespoon and a half of sugar, and instead of oil used about a tablespoon of vegan butter and about an ounce of soymilk. oh, i also added about half a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry stuff. when it was all incorporated i added a handful of raisins. it took way longer than 15 minutes to bake, but they're quite yummy. i think they'd be even better with brown sugar instead of white. and it was sort of difficult to get them baked all the way through...maybe i'd omit the soymilk next time. nice recipe, though, a-z.

(y)