PDA

View Full Version : Marine Declares War on Bush

infidel
09-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Marine Declares War on Bush
By Michelle Goldberg
Salon.com

Iraq war veteran Steve Brozak is running hard for Congress. And he's turning his campaign into a referendum on Bush's military folly.

Thursday 30 September 2004

Steve Brozak is running for Congress in New Jersey against George W. Bush. Sure, his opponent on the ticket is Republican incumbent Mike Ferguson. But as Brozak sees it, Ferguson is just a synecdoche for the Bush team, whose failings drove Brozak out of the Marines and the Republican Party and into the first political campaign of his life.

"The bottom line is I'm going to take him down," Brozak says of Ferguson. "I'm just going to keep hitting at him. This is a national race because I'm going to start hitting not just him but his boss. They lied to us, they misled us about what was at stake in the war with Iraq, and they're misleading us about what is going to happen going forward."

A candidate who has actually served in the Middle East during the Iraq war, Brozak has seen the quagmire up close. A dark-haired, broad-shouldered man, he has a deep, authoritative voice and enunciates crisply -- it's easy to imagine him in uniform, barking orders. When he speaks of the Bush administration, though, it's with the stunned incredulousness of one who's seen all his assumptions about the world upended. Before the war, Brozak says, he wanted to believe his president. It barely occurred to him not to. Now, his voice gets heated when he talks about Iraq, which is the subject he talks about most. "There were no weapons of mass destruction," he says. "There was no planning, just this sense of arrogance and contempt by the civilians in this administration."

more> http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/100104X.shtml

We need more guys like this one

D_Raay
09-30-2004, 10:57 PM
We sure do (y) (y)

DroppinScience
09-30-2004, 11:26 PM
Bravo. I hope he wins! (y)

racer5.0stang
10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Why is it important to describe the physical features of this guy? Sounds like they are just trying to "beef him up". Lets pull his military record and see how many ghosts are in his closet.

infidel
10-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Why is it important to describe the physical features of this guy? Sounds like they are just trying to "beef him up". Lets pull his military record and see how many ghosts are in his closet. You obviously didn't read the entire article.
The son of Eastern European immigrants who lived under Nazi occupation, he joined the Marine Corps almost 22 years ago after graduating from Columbia University with a degree in East Asian studies. He served on active duty for three years and then joined the reserves. He earned an MBA at Columbia and worked on Wall Street before co-founding Westfield Bakerink Brozak, an investment bank that specializes in biotech and healthcare research.

A married father of two girls, he volunteered to return to active duty during several international crises, serving in Haiti in 1995 and Bosnia in 2000. After Sept. 11, he volunteered once again and went on extended active duty in October 2002, leaving his firm in the hands of his partner. "I went back on duty after 9/11 because our country was faced with an impending threat," he says. "A group of terrorists wanted to bring down not just our democracy but all democracies."

During the Iraq war, he served as national spokesman for the Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, which is charged with enforcing the law that protects the jobs of reservists called up for military duty. He soon realized that many employers were openly flouting the law and firing soldiers, who were then left with little recourse except lengthy litigation. Extended tours in Iraq were plunging many reservist families into economic misery. "It was bad, but we didn't know how bad it was," Brozak says.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/100104X.shtml