PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Foreign Policy Debate

Documad
09-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Anyone watching? Doesn't Bush look like Dana Carvey doing Church Lady when he's listening to Kerry?

My laugh out loud moment was when Bush was listing allies. We have Tony Blair, and also the President of Poland! Not a very deep bench.

Ace42
09-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Bush has used the "Flip-Flopper" accusation several times. That is a pretty poor rebuttal of a direct criticism of his policy. "Your policy sucks. It is flawed because:" - "Yeah, but least I'm not a flip-flopper"

Pshaw.

Documad
09-30-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, darn it, when I make a bad decision, I stick to it.

jennyb
09-30-2004, 08:07 PM
I am just listening to it on the radio here at the office... cannot wait to get home and watch the highlights... probably going to check the Daily Show! Dana Carvey look alike was a pretty good visual. Yeah we have 3 nations helping us... that was pretty lame! (n)

Bob
09-30-2004, 08:42 PM
hey guys, i think kerry changed his mind about the war too much and i dont want him leading it

PS poland

countrymikedj
09-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Bush has used the "Flip-Flopper" accusation several times. That is a pretty poor rebuttal of a direct criticism of his policy. "Your policy sucks. It is flawed because:" - "Yeah, but least I'm not a flip-flopper"

Pshaw.

i know right. every rebuttal was " he keeps changing his policy" hogwash...

Bob
09-30-2004, 08:51 PM
i'm still not optimistic about either candidate...it was really fun to watch bush trip over his own words though...and he really looked visibly stunned at a few points, they were some serious awkward pauses.

some of my favorite moments...

bush: "of course we're looking for sadda-osama bin laden"

kerry: "we both, i think, love this country"

and i swear to christ i heard bush say strategery, but nobody else seemed to...i guess my ears were playing tricks on me.

jennyb
09-30-2004, 08:57 PM
bush: "of course we're looking for sadda-osama bin laden"

:mad: EXACTLY :mad:

Documad
09-30-2004, 09:22 PM
I laughed out loud at the first reference to Poland, then thought I imagined the second reference to Poland. I told my friend that if there was a water-cooler moment, that would be it. She disagreed, but I'm right.

BTW - I think they both did a good job, all things considered, and there's a clear choice, and I'm still convinced our future is more secure with Kerry as President. I wish people would quit saying there's no difference or that it doesn't matter. That might sound cool, but it's wrong.

ASsman
09-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Bush said "penishula".

Yaumama
09-30-2004, 10:05 PM
i think the beasties said it best:
"It's (2004) and still no one to vote for
Well like my words is what I'm seeing through my own eyes
A little vision of the truth in a world of lies"

well, there may not be anyone to vote for but there is someone to vote against. (n)

paulk
09-30-2004, 10:21 PM
They both sucked. That was the most boring presidential debate I've seen.

paulk
09-30-2004, 10:22 PM
No one to vote for? There's always Michael Badnarik...

infidel
10-01-2004, 03:26 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the bushites put the spin to bush's obvious failure at the debate.
My bet is they will say the liberal media provided the questions (and answers?) to Kerry ahead of time and now bush is going to bow out of the next two debates.

Ali
10-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Seems to me that Kerry's playing right into the hands of the Secret Team (http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/ST/).

He's having to take a pro-war stance in order to appear more strong than Bush, declaring that the US should be chasing Bin Laden, instead of being diverted into Iraq. If he's elected, he won't be able to withdraw US troops from the Middle East, which is what needs to happen to change the image of the US abroad and especially in the M.E.

Bin Laden is the ultimate bogeyman, which the real rulers (http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/ST/STchp1.html) of the US are using to scare Americans into supporting military activity in the M.E.

By promising to capture Bin Laden, Kerry's promising more terror attacks, just like Bush.

We can only hope that he sticks to his promise to act internationally, as a part of the UN, if terrorism is truly to be eradicated.

drobertson420
10-01-2004, 05:52 AM
I was waiting for Bush to wheel out a big cake, and out pops Osama!
"Thank You! Goodnight!" :D

QueenAdrock
10-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Kerry mopped the fuckin' floor with Bush. The lowest percentage I've seen in favor of Kerry is still 70% - 30%.

frisky girl
10-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Kerry mopped the fuckin' floor with Bush. The lowest percentage I've seen in favor of Kerry is still 70% - 30%.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up though...Americans are so fickle.

Señor Stino
10-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Well, it wasn't thé most intresting debate I've ever seen, but I'm still glad I stayed up all night to watch it.

I couldn't stop noticing Bush blinks a LOT with his eyes, in the end, it started to irritate me,
Bush's arguments were a bit weak, especially on North-Korea.

But in the end, why was this called a debate? they didnt even ask questions to eachother (i heard that was agreed on) this is incredibly lame, and typical for americans who "defend" democracy all over the world, except in their own country.

racer5.0stang
10-01-2004, 08:18 AM
I couldn't help but notice how many times Bush said "uh"

infidel
10-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Anyone else notice bush repeatedly trying to drink water from an empty glass?

Guess I shouldn't have expected much more of him.

EN[i]GMA
10-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Kerry really impressed me in the debate. Go figure.

Echewta
10-01-2004, 10:37 AM
He impressed me too. I wasn't a big fan but it helped a lot to make me feel more confident in him.

The guy knows the world, country, and politics.

Yes, i noticed the empty glass drinking too.

edb1821
10-01-2004, 11:47 AM
LEHRER: All right, new question. Two minutes, Senator Kerry.
Speaking of Vietnam, you spoke to Congress in 1971, after you came back from Vietnam, and you said, quote, "How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?"
Are Americans now dying in Iraq for a mistake?

KERRY: No, and they don't have to...

Earlier in the debate...

KERRY: ...We can't leave a failed Iraq. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake of judgment to go there and take the focus off of Usama bin Laden. It was.

So was it a mistake or not?

D_Raay
10-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Kerry unnerved him a bit I think. Bush didn't expect some of the responses he got from Kerry. Especially the dealing with Saddam the wrong way line. Bush cheapened himself too by referring to the flip flopping at every opportunity.

edb1821
10-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Bush cheapened himself too by referring to the flip flopping at every opportunity.

That's all he could do because that's all Kerry has offered.

saz
10-01-2004, 12:09 PM
retard...Kerry is arguing that Bush made the mistake by rushing to war, that he did not resort to war as a last option, which he said he was going to do. Kerry's stance is that, now the US is in Iraq, they have to stay the course and ensure that the insurgents are defeated and that it doesn't become a theocratic Islamic extremist fascist country. Bush fucked up by illegally invading Iraq and drastically taking the focus away from al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden.

Now go and vote for the retard and his neo-con puppet masters, so you can get drafted in '05, get sent to Iran where you'll be killing poor people and shitting your pants and end up dying for Dick Cheney

Echewta
10-01-2004, 12:09 PM
No, thats all that Bush could do because he doesn't have the ability to think anymore than that. And he was saying "sounds bites" as much as he could so that the press would have to show those clips about "its hardwork" and "wrong war, wrong place, wrong time."

edb1821, is that the best you can come up with is the "mistake?" At least Kerry knew who attacked us on 9/11 and who the leader of Al-Q is. How sad.

D_Raay
10-01-2004, 12:10 PM
And that's all you can come up with huh? Let me tell you something, your own guy just officially made the flip flopping issue a thing of the past. People don't want to hear that bullshit excuse anymore. It's nothing more than covering up for the retard who is in office. Kerry wiped the floor with him face it and move on to better arguments than "wait wait he's a flip flopper, really, really, come on he's a Flip flopper".

Echewta
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Bush said the military will be all volunteer during his next 4 years.

EN[i]GMA
10-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Until the next terror attack hits. Than all thats out the window.

edb1821
10-01-2004, 12:52 PM
retard...Kerry is arguing that Bush made the mistake by rushing to war, that he did not resort to war as a last option, which he said he was going to do.

READ THE FUCKING TRANSCRIPT! "MISTAKE OF JUDGMENT TO GO THERE..." not "mistake of judgment to rush to war..."

Though he did say it was a mistake to rush too... Gee, which is it Senator?

Obviously the flip-flopping is not a "thing of the past" if he's doing it right in the middle of the fucking debate.

saz
10-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with the 911 attacks...if Bush had some patience and allowed the UN Weapons Inspectors to complete their work, they would have realized that Iraq had no WMDs. With continued weapons inspections, the no-fly zone and pressure from the international community, Iraq could have remanied contained (as it already was), and the US could have really concentrated on eliminating al-Qaeda and capturing or killing Osama bin Laden and the upper echelons of his terrorist network. Just imagine the resources they could have poured into Afghanistan, which would have really benefitted the reconstruction of that fractured nation.

Just look (http://people.tamu.edu/~aeb2724/kerry/cost_of_war.gif) at what the US could have accomplished if they did not illegally invade Iraq. (you'll have to enlarge the image)

Kerry is right...it was a mistake to illegally invade Iraq and Bush did indeed rush into war, which is now a brutal quagmire where the US will be tied down for years to come.

But whatever...your argument is weak and you're running in circles...end of discussion.

edb1821
10-01-2004, 02:41 PM
...a brutal quagmire where the US will be tied down for years to come.

No, no, no... Kerry will have us out in 6 months :confused:

ASsman
10-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Don't forget Poland.

infidel
10-01-2004, 04:52 PM
No, no, no... Kerry will have us out in 6 months :confused:Another idiot who doesn't know how to listen.
Kerry has never said we would be out in 6 months, he said "I hope to reduce troop numbers in Iraq within the first six months after taking office."

Echewta
10-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Funny how Bush's campaign has to combat what Kerry said after the debate since Bush couldn't do it during. I'm sure if Cheney was next to Bush, things would have been different.

infidel
10-01-2004, 05:38 PM
It's sort of sad that bush is raving on today about the same things Kerry disproved last night and people are still believing it.
I don't doubt they will follow him off a cliff if he leads the way, reminds me of Jim Jones and his Kool-Aid.

edb1821
10-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Another idiot who doesn't know how to listen.
Kerry has never said we would be out in 6 months, he said "I hope to reduce troop numbers in Iraq within the first six months after taking office."

That's what he said during the debate... On the campaign trail, he's said it.

I love how you all gotta throw in "retard" and "idiot" and "moron" with every comment. It really shows the level of maturity on the left.

ASsman
10-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Retarded moron idiot.

RobMoney
10-01-2004, 09:36 PM

I love how you all gotta throw in "retard" and "idiot" and "moron" with every comment. It really shows the level of maturity on the left.

You forgot to add "Poland" to that list

krs5446
10-01-2004, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=jennygirl]bush: "of course we're looking for sadda-osama bin laden"

Kerry also called him Sadda-Osama Bin laden! Also nobody is a perfect speaker, especially in front of the whole country! Kerry was good but BUSH WILL PREVAIL!

Documad
10-01-2004, 10:14 PM
I still think it's Bush doing the Dana Carvey Church Lady face that's going to kill him. You would think that no one has ever criticized him before, at least not to his face? He couldn't have been surprised.

My favorite moment was Kerry saying more soldiers died in July than June, in August than July . . . .

Funkaloyd
10-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Kerry also called him Sadda-Osama Bin laden!

In this debate? When?

infidel
10-01-2004, 11:03 PM
It's true they both made the same Saddam Osama mistake, bush said it first though, must be catchy.
Full transcript of the debate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/debatereferee/debate_0930.html

Funkaloyd
10-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I skimmed through that but didn't catch it. The closest thing from Kerry that I've seen or read is:

Does that mean that Saddam Hussein was 10 times more important than Osama bin Laden -- than, excuse me, Saddam Hussein more important than Osama bin Laden?

Though he does confuse Iraq with North Korea once.

sungdonna
10-02-2004, 01:43 AM
When Kerry makes a mistake with words, it doesn't seem so bad because we know he's smart. But when Bush does it, it's just comical.

D_Raay
10-02-2004, 03:02 AM

Completely not true. Check the transcripts there bud. He said exactly what infidel said.

QueenAdrock
10-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Kerry also called him Sadda-Osama Bin laden! Also nobody is a perfect speaker, especially in front of the whole country! Kerry was good but BUSH WILL PREVAIL!

Yeah, no one is a perfect speaker, but you have to be SOMEwhat articulate. Mind you, America is represented throughout the world by the President we elect. Kerry is intelligent, thoughtful, articulate, and strong when speaking. he brings up good points backed by facts. I think that shows more presidential traits than stumbling over your words, taking long pauses, and smirking while slouching and making random generalizations about terrorism. I personally don't want to be represented by a buffoon.

Kerry/Edwards '04 baby

Bob
10-03-2004, 01:47 PM
I love how you all gotta throw in "retard" and "idiot" and "moron" with every comment. It really shows the level of maturity on the left

that bugs me too...i mean, i'd love to say "what, no you're wrong, look around, nobody's saying that", but i'd be a filthy liar because it seems to be all some of you guys know how to do. a little civility, please! you don't have to be bullies, jeez. if you're right, then be right, there's no need to be a jerk about it. the truth looks pretty unappealing when it's accompanied by a million "fuck you"'s...you're very hard to sympathize with sometimes

Ace42
10-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Non-Beastie Boys --> General Political Discussion. Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

However:

"Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit."

- Teh Bible.

And are you going to argue with the word of God? Eh eh?

Bob
10-03-2004, 02:36 PM
yes, i think god would call people retards too

Ace42
10-03-2004, 02:42 PM
God makes people retards, which do YOU think is worse?

infidel
10-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Sorry to call him an idiot, but what else can you call a person who has trouble understanding plain English?
Learning impaired?

SobaViolence
10-03-2004, 03:47 PM
God makes people retards, which do YOU think is worse?

(y)

Bob
10-03-2004, 03:54 PM
sigh