PDA

View Full Version : Br-Break it Down : "Debate"

ASsman
10-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Kerry: I can make American safer than President Bush has made us.
(President Bush has made us safe? So much for being agressive)

This president has left them in shatters across the globe, and we're now 90 percent of the casualties in Iraq and 90 percent of the costs.
(This clarity should have been kept throughout his speech)

I have a better plan to be able to fight the war on terror by strengthening our military, strengthening our intelligence, by going after the financing more authoritatively, by doing what we need to do to rebuild the alliances, by reaching out to the Muslim world, which the president has almost not done, and beginning to isolate the radical Islamic Muslims, not have them isolate the United States of America.
(Did the president answer this? Or any of the previous points? Rules seemed to have been broken regardless, he should have been able to)

LEHRER: Mr. President, you have a 90-second rebuttal.

We've upheld the doctrine that said if you harbor a terrorist, you're equally as guilty as the terrorist.

And the Taliban are no longer in power. Ten million people have registered to vote in Afghanistan in the upcoming presidential election.
(Hmmm, now class we will learn an important part of the Debate structure, the rebuttal.)
re·but·tal
n.

1. The act of rebutting.
2. A statement made in rebutting.

v. re·but·ted, re·but·ting, re·buts

v. intr.

To present opposing evidence or arguments.
(In reality I couldn't find the presidents responce so I just posted the closest thing to one)

LEHRER: New question, Mr. President, two minutes.

Do you believe the election of Senator Kerry on November the 2nd would increase the chances of the U.S. being hit by another 9/11-type terrorist attack?

BUSH: No, I don't believe it's going to happen. I believe I'm going to win, because the American people know I know how to lead. I've shown the American people I know how to lead.
(haha, wow this shit looks worse on paper. And please answer the FUCKING QUESTION)

LEHRER: Ninety second response, Senator Kerry.

KERRY: I believe in being strong and resolute and determined. And I will hunt down and kill the terrorists, wherever they are.
(With my bare hands! I will also take their scalps as war trophies!)

Lets continue to break down the "debate", I will continue to posts some once time allows. There should be nothing to stop you.

http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2004a.html

bobbydigital
10-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Pretty in depth post from a dude named Assman. (y)

deita
10-01-2004, 07:29 PM
(With my bare hands! I will also take their scalps as war trophies!)
i completely appreciate your sense of humor (y)

Funkaloyd
10-01-2004, 08:21 PM
What do forum users think of Kerry stating that he will kill terrorists, and Bush using the euphemism "bring to justice"?
Why does Bush―who's campaigning to people proud of being politically incorrect on the premise that he's a tough president―use such a euphemism? Does he want to convince moderates that he isn't bloodthirsty, or is it because of the poetic attributes of the phrase? Why did Kerry say "kill"? Is it because that's what he means, and he's not interested (or can't be bothered) in playing word games, or is it part of his "not a liberal sissy" campaign?

EN[i]GMA
10-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Kerry has to seem hard. Bush has to seem soft. They both, apparently, have to seem insincere. But for some reason Kerry still impressed me. He's a good debater.

D_Raay
10-02-2004, 02:39 AM
I agree with Enigma, he's top notch when it comes to debating.

D_Raay
10-02-2004, 02:47 AM
You know, come to think of it, Johnny Depp had it right when he called this country a "dumb puppy" (Ace too). This shouldn't even be a race. Bush has got us into a horrible situation and we have a candidate that everyone wants to just take this "empty suit" of a president down and he has thusfar not done it. I hope it's in the works, I really do. The opportunity is certainly there for it. Oh, and shame on this so-called "liberal" media for not reporting this like they should. Anyone could tell that it was a intellectual giant versus a retard. This whole "inconsistency" garbage that they keep spewing I mean come on, what was Kerry to do about the war in Iraq? He could vote yeah sure, but he was mislead along with all of us. If I see one more stuffed shirt, talking neck, tell me that Bush held his own and is so consistent with his policies I'm going to vomit on my slippers. The only thing consistent about him is being wrong about everything to do with Iraq. This media makes me so mad flashing pictures of Ronald Reagan debating because "Oh he lost his first debate with Mondale but then won 49 states", as if Bush were half the president Reagan was. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I'm getting more and more pissed at every pundit I see talking out of his ass as if we just came off a banana boat .

infidel
10-02-2004, 05:52 AM
Repeatedly trying to drink water out of the same empty glass may seem trivial but it represents an action that exemplifies Bush's persona perfectly, a life filled with one mistake after another never learning from them.
"Staying the course" with no regards to the results.

ASsman
10-02-2004, 07:20 AM
"Colossal misjudgments." What colossal misjudgments, in your opinion, has President Bush made in these areas?

KERRY: Well, where do you want me to begin?
(Zinger!)

He also promised America that he would go to war as a last resort.

Those words mean something to me, as somebody who has been in combat. "Last resort." You've got to be able to look in the eyes of families and say to those parents, "I tried to do everything in my power to prevent the loss of your son and daughter."
(Clear as day you republican spinsters)

LEHRER: Ninety-second response, Mr. President.

BUSH: My opponent looked at the same intelligence I looked at and declared in 2002 that Saddam Hussein was a grave threat.
(Hmmm, so?)

He also said in December of 2003 that anyone who doubts that the world is safer without Saddam Hussein does not have the judgment to be president.

I agree with him. The world is better off without Saddam Hussein.
(Yah, anyone with half a brain would agree. Of course most people around the world who believe that, also believe the world would be safer without Bush as our Commander in Chief)

I was hoping diplomacy would work. I understand the serious consequences of committing our troops into harm's way.

It's the hardest decision a president makes. So I went to the United Nations. I didn't need anybody to tell me to go to the United Nations. I decided to go there myself.
(Im a big kid now!)

LEHRER: New question, Mr. President. Two minutes.

What about Senator Kerry's point, the comparison he drew between the priorities of going after Osama bin Laden and going after Saddam Hussein?

BUSH: Jim, we've got the capability of doing both.

As a matter of fact, this is a global effort.
(Global? What does this mean mister dictionary?
glob·al
adj.
Of, relating to, or involving the entire earth; worldwide: global war; global monetary policies.
)

We're facing a group of folks who have such hatred in their heart, they'll strike anywhere, with any means.
(Them be some damn dirty folk)

And that's why it's essential that we have strong alliances, and we do.
(POLAND!!!)

But to say that there's only one focus on the war on terror doesn't really understand the nature of the war on terror.
(That you can't declare war on a noun?)

Of course we're after Saddam Hussein -- I mean bin Laden.
(I mean Iraq)

And, of course, Iraq is a central part in the war on terror. That's why Zarqawi and his people are trying to fight us. Their hope is that we grow weary and we leave.
(Are you sure its not because YOU'RE THERE?!)

-----------
Wow long ways to go but hopefully I'll get through the whole thing.

ASsman
10-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Hes just as bad as Rumsfeld, but he went through the entire press conference referring to the wrong person. I don't believe he ever corrected himself, good thing he doesn't hold any important position....

Funkaloyd
10-02-2004, 04:22 PM
You've got to be able to look in the eyes of families and say to those parents, "I tried to do everything in my power to prevent the loss of your son and daughter."
(Clear as day you republican spinsters)

But... But... But... But first he said "We can do a better job of training the Iraqi forces to defend themselves, and I know that we can do a better job of preparing for elections." What's with the multiple stances?! I can barely tell where he stands on Iraq from one day to the next, let alone from one debate answer to the next!