PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West-College Dropout

Brass_Munkey
10-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I know there has been a thread about this topic before, but I would like to shed some new light on Kayne.

My friend recently gave me a copy of his album, College Dropout, which I instantly liked.

He is the only other mainstream rapper/rap group of any significance in terms of lyrical quality and substance besides the Beastie Boys. He uses his personal experiences to bring a heavy collaboration to the table in College Dropout.

I thought the Beastie Boys would be the only rap I would ever really become hooked on and find appealing(and Deltron 3030, but they're underground), but I was wrong.

Kanye West is a young pioneer in terms of rap music, and many discard him as being just another ghetto hip-hop piece of shit with nothing of value.

Well, I would recommend those of you who are fans of the Beastie Boys like myself to at least give Kanye a second chance if you initially disliked him.

Or go buy his CD, College Dropout, if you are unfamiliar with him.

That's my spread and you guys are welcome to reply to this, I'm open to criticism or anything you feel is right in response to this.

Deep_Sea_Rain
10-02-2004, 03:10 PM
I really should go pick his album up, I've liked every single so far.

tdot04
10-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Ditto. Kanye brings some quality rap and production to the table. Especially his production, he's versatile and he can make all kinds of beats, which is something I hope is welcome in mainstream rap, although he seems to rely on his sped-up samples a little too much.

I don't much care for his new single, "Workout Plan" or whatever it's called... it's funny, but it's no "Jesus Walks" or "Through the Wire."

Brass_Munkey
10-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Could anyone send me some of his songs?

For some reason the copy of College Dropout my friend gave me is missing the last 5 songs or so.

DipDipDive
10-02-2004, 05:05 PM
I think College Dropout is one of the best hip hop albums of the last ten years. (y)

tdot04
10-02-2004, 05:23 PM
I think College Dropout is one of the best hip hop albums of the last ten years. (y)

That's a pretty lofty statement there. But I don't disagree. (y)

SobaViolence
10-02-2004, 11:05 PM
meh, he's ok.

some of his stuff is pretty tame. but i think as it is right now, he's got mad potential and is killing 85% of the producers out there.

that isn't really hard since most rap on the airwaves is krunk.

Spanishbomb808
10-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Here's what I'll do; I shall

discard him as being just another ghetto hip-hop piece of shit with nothing of value.

Hmm... not exactly what I would say, but you get the idea.

Kid Presentable
10-03-2004, 01:21 AM
There's too many skits on the album, but it's easily one of the better releases of the last ten years...

Jurassic
10-03-2004, 03:46 AM
I think he's OK, but overrated.
His production is cool, but i dont really like his flow, i'd rate The College Dropout a 7.5/10 or something

dave790
10-03-2004, 06:15 AM
my opinion...

his album didn't really work for me. i'm not a huge fan of his rapping, i think he comes out well in some tunes but others i just don't wuite...(this sounds kinda sad) 'feel it'.

His production is good, but i wouldn't say its too varied, and some of it is over produced.

i can see why he's doing so well and has potential, and i prefer him to a lot of other so called hip hop stars out there, but i wouldn't call myself a fan.

Jurassic
10-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Yeah, he is ofcourse way better then the average MTV rapper (Nelly, Chingy etc) but that doesn't make him as great as people say he is, since there are ALOT more rappers then MTV shows.

Extra Cheese
10-03-2004, 11:02 AM
that motherfucker sucks. flat out sucks. he's better than some rappers and he does bring something a little bit different but all those who jumped on his bandwagon are just settling cuz he's the closest thing to not sucking in rap. people are so starved and desperate for something that doesnt suck in hip-hop that when a different sound comes they think its dope well just because its different doesnt mean its good, and kanye isnt good. fuck him.

NakedMoleRat
10-03-2004, 12:33 PM

Not to Diss your Opinion because well, it is an Opinion, but think about every Hip Hop album that has been released since 1994, Do you really think "College Dropout" deserves a Spot on that List. I mean 1993 to 1997 was INSANE for hip hop, So many Classics, I don't think "College Dropout" deserves to be in the Top 10 of This Year after De La Soul, Mos Def and Nas all drop.

Kanye is an average producer to me, basically, he has been biting RZA's style of speeding up vocals and claiming to be the first to do it. and As an MC, he is worse. he is better than All Mainstream acts, I will give you that, but being better than 50 Cent or Chingy is nothing to be proud of. he has an awful flow with mildly clever lyrics.

basically, I dont think Kanye will be around in 10 years, and not too many will regard it as a Classic. just my opinion though.

PEACE

Hello_nasty
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
The man has talent, and is one of the best producers right now. He is a better than average MC... just listen to his 2nd verse on Diamonds (not the remix with J). Although it'd be nice if he made a song without a sample every now and then...

EN[i]GMA
09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
The man has talent, and is one of the best producers right now. He is a better than average MC... just listen to his 2nd verse on Diamonds (not the remix with J). Although it'd be nice if he made a song without a sample every now and then...

Why?

Samples are the life-blood of hip-hop.

Hello_nasty
09-06-2005, 08:03 PM
GMA']Why?

Samples are the life-blood of hip-hop.

Why? Because it would let people know that he can make a beat on his own, and doesn't need to constantly rely on his sampling.