PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

Geo_pyromaniack
10-04-2004, 05:27 AM
Check this out..So Liam Howlett(or whatever) said on Mtv that the Beastie boys "are losers and their new album is junk" Sheesh

Shazam_21
10-04-2004, 05:34 AM
Check this out..So Liam Howlett(or whatever) said on Mtv that the Beastie boys "are losers and their new album is junk" Sheesh
He's just bitter his recent album bombed. Check the @Press@ forum, theres a link on there also to an article on this subject

Dunny
10-04-2004, 05:37 AM
the beasties should get sasquatch to kick his ass.

Johanna
10-04-2004, 05:39 AM
the beasties should get sasquatch to kick his ass.
yeah!!!
btw, geo_pyromaniack (or whatever) this is old news...

iLL kID
10-04-2004, 10:35 AM
fuck prodigy they stole there name from mobb deeps p, bunch of fairys

Parkey
10-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Round round we go...

Liam Howlett is not ex-Prodigy
The Beastie Boys and Prodigy had a spat a while ago in which Prodigy were clearly in the right
Yes he should stop going on about it but he gets asked in every interview
They got there name from the make of keyboard that everyone used back in the Acid House movement in the UK during the 1980s

etc. etc. etc.

J-Syxx
10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
What spat? How were the Beasties in the wrong? WTF are you talking about?

chrisd
10-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Segui il tuo corso e lascia dir la gente!

dave790
10-04-2004, 12:53 PM

The Beasties were in the wrong. don't talk as if this Parkey guys talkin shit. Reading Festival 98, Beasties asked Prodigy to drop Smack My Bitch Up from their set, and it developed from that (Prodigy said no)

The Beastie have apologised in print since then i believe, but they were in the wrong. as mr Howlett said 'i dont care who you are, no one tells me what i can and can't play'.

Beasties were one of his idols so he didn't take it too well. he's entitled to his opinion on the new album, but it means shit to me and is a shit opinion in my mind.

Parkey
10-04-2004, 12:55 PM

At Reading Festival in 1998 the Beasties kicked up a stink about Prodigy playing Smack My Bitch Up. There's loads about it in the Press bit about this mind...

Bgurl_54
10-04-2004, 01:47 PM
.....Grrrr.......*Growls in a scary undertone at all the beastie h8ters* :p

iLL kID
10-04-2004, 02:00 PM
fuck prodigy and fuck parkey, biatchs

Parkey
10-04-2004, 03:27 PM
fuck prodigy and fuck parkey, biatchs
;)

Knobhead

J-Syxx
10-04-2004, 07:53 PM
The Beasties were in the wrong. don't talk as if this Parkey guys talkin shit. Reading Festival 98, Beasties asked Prodigy to drop Smack My Bitch Up from their set, and it developed from that (Prodigy said no)

The Beastie have apologised in print since then i believe, but they were in the wrong. as mr Howlett said 'i dont care who you are, no one tells me what i can and can't play'.

Beasties were one of his idols so he didn't take it too well. he's entitled to his opinion on the new album, but it means shit to me and is a shit opinion in my mind.
So thats why he has beef? What a fucking pussy. He isn't entitled to shit, hes just dissing the record because he has beef.

Yauch
10-04-2004, 09:37 PM
we did go to him in private and ask him if he wouldn't mind skipping that track in their set because it promoted violence against women.

basically he said that he felt that they were somehow subverting or changing the meaning of the words "smack my bitch up" in their song.

it doesn't sound like that to me.

anyway, they decided to take it to the stage, make it public. so during their set that night they said something like "the beastie boys told us not to play this song, but nobody tells us what to do..." and then played the song.

shortly after that a girl told me that she had been abused by her boyfriend and that song had always made her cringe. she thanked us for asking them not to play it.

so i have no regrets about it, and have never apologized to them. i think what we did was right. how is anyone going to know that their words are destructive if no one tells them?

Documad
10-04-2004, 10:13 PM
I think I'm really good at reading between the lines and I don't see that song as anything but literal. Maybe they think they turned it on its head by making the video feature girl-on-girl violence, but I don't see that at all. I can take a joke but I draw the line at violence against women and children. Anyways, thanks for taking a stand and they only made you look good by telling the public about your private request.

Love And Theft
10-04-2004, 10:19 PM
As easy it was to tell black from white,
It was all that easy to tell wrong from right.

-"Bob Dylan's Dream", 1963

stillill
10-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Right on Yauch! I got really mad when I started reading this thread and was about to school Dave790. But I think that Yauch's post cleared things up (they were not in the wrong)!

Having violent misogynist lyrics in a song, even if it is meant to be "tongue in cheek," is always going to be taken at face value by the majority of the public. This DOES promote violence in society!

Intense
10-05-2004, 01:44 AM
this is a joke, innit? takin out a track because u think it's sooo bad...the title is smack my bitch up, and u wanted a different version of it..smack my ketchup..(something like that)..sorry, how ridiculous is that?? yauch, the way u think is pussy like.."because it promoted violence against women"..so what about all the nwa, ice cube, wc, mack 10, mc eiht (etc) tracks?? would u like to ban all these songs just because u think its meaning is too rude mr.yauch?

and sorry, the 2nd story about the girl is very naive. this song has nothing to do with her bad experiences. prodigy were fuckin right, i'd never let anybody to change my songs...and liam is right, your new album is garbage. i was a beastie boys fan for many years but u guys disappointed so much with the new album i couldn't believe how bad it is. very bad production, boring, cheap mastering, way too short, lame ideas. each former album was 100 times better. and u know it. but that's how it sounds without mario c. he's a genius. u guys were untouchable till and including the marvellous hello nasty album, but after that one..no more..

Egg Man
10-05-2004, 03:24 AM
I like both Beastie Boys and Prodigy (of course the Beasties more) but I do believe the beasties were in the wrong back in 98. The Beasties new album isn't crap though, it's brilliant just like the rest of their work but the prodigys new album is good as well. Theres no reason to say prodigy suck just because of one thing Liam Howlett said.

j-dog
10-05-2004, 03:49 AM
hey intense, fair enough, you've got your (fairly angry, ever tried masturbation?) opinion. see what you mean about n.w.a. et al. but i grew out of that stuff when i was a teenager. also, no guy has the right to rubbish a woman's feelings that have been stirred up from hearing a song/watching a movie etc. even if you've experienced this kind of violence in your family/peers you can have no idea of how it feels for it to happen to yourself. as i can't. unfortunately this kind of shit still happens, maybe more so than before, but is rarely reported. i'm not saying that adam had the right to ask liam to scrap the song from their set but i do understand why. apart from it being shit, it would bring back memories of violence. i'm not just saying this coz i don't like the prodigy. in fact i've seen them live about 6 times. but their music has become electronic garbage for nu-metallers. oh, and aren't they just soooo scary. c'mon essex boys, leave off on the "we're just so shocking" shit. tattoos, dyed hair and eye-liner aren't the way. actually, marilyn manson and the prodigy, biggest "alternative" pop acts today. yes, i know i've detracted somewhat from the original post but what the hey! intense, go smoke a fatty and grow up a bit. i'll expect a reply.

Parkey
10-05-2004, 06:17 AM
I like both Beastie Boys and Prodigy (of course the Beasties more) but I do believe the beasties were in the wrong back in 98. The Beasties new album isn't crap though, it's brilliant just like the rest of their work but the prodigys new album is good as well. Theres no reason to say prodigy suck just because of one thing Liam Howlett said.
Well put (y)

Parkey
10-05-2004, 06:29 AM
we did go to him in private and ask him if he wouldn't mind skipping that track in their set because it promoted violence against women.

basically he said that he felt that they were somehow subverting or changing the meaning of the words "smack my bitch up" in their song.

anyway, they decided to take it to the stage, make it public. so during their set that night they said something like "the beastie boys told us not to play this song, but nobody tells us what to do..." and then played the song.

shortly after that a girl told me that she had been abused by her boyfriend and that song had always made her cringe. she thanked us for asking them not to play it.

so i have no regrets about it, and have never apologized to them. i think what we did was right. how is anyone going to know that their words are destructive if no one tells them?

So is it the song itself or their justification of it that caused the problem?

Also, out of interest, if they hadn't mentioned it on stage would you have brought it?

MaestroDenis
10-05-2004, 07:01 AM
I started a thread on this topic not a long ago and it provoked the same kind of responses. For me it's a hard one to decide, as I like both bands, I'd say more so the Beasties (largely thanks to Paul's Boutique, no other group can EVER reproduce this). BUT I think Liam H initially never intended to suggest people should go out and bash women. Artists sometimes come out with provokative stuff to incite publicity eg. shock value etc but can overlook potential negative outcomes of such pieces. Surely, Liam would have considered that, and as he explained straight after the release of that single, the song is somewhat of an ode to Kool Keith, whom he sampled (and continues to sample) and Kool Keith said it meant to "..sort shit out, take care of business". It is understood the word "bitch" is also associated with material things, not only a derogatory term for females. It doesn't help however to listen to the original "...change my pitch up, smack my bitch like a pimp" is it just an analogy?

I think this was a conflict waiting to happen, sooner or later they would have done a gig together somewhere and the Beasties would have done the same thing and Liam would have reacted in exactly the same manner, because hey "Smack My Bitch Up" is one of their (his) most recognized cuts, he CAN'T not play that song.

PS. The Prodigy's new album really is WEAK, it sounds like one continous (bad) song,... (The Fat, Jilted and Experience shit all over this very forgettable album).

MD

Runoutgroove
10-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Having violent misogynist lyrics in a song, even if it is meant to be "tongue in cheek," is always going to be taken at face value by the majority of the public. This DOES promote violence in society!

Oh for christ's sake. I like the Beastie's music, but in this instance they are plain wrong on so many levels. The "smack my bitch up" sample doesn't mean hit women on the Prodigy track, nor does it even mean that in the original Ultramagnetic MC's track. What about freedom of expression?

I'll tell it to you straight, the vast majority of fans have never even thought that this song was promoting violence against women - they just hear the word "bitch" and think that sounds slightly controversial. Thats what the Prodigy are about, they are the sort of band that parents hate because they are brash.

Lets see what shall we censor next, I think Raging Bull has some wife beating and how about video games...

Love And Theft
10-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Woah, I can't believe what I'm reading. I've listened to the new album everyday since it came out and absolutely could not be happier with a great way to spend $14.99.

stillill
10-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Oh for christ's sake. I like the Beastie's music, but in this instance they are plain wrong on so many levels. The "smack my bitch up" sample doesn't mean hit women on the Prodigy track, nor does it even mean that in the original Ultramagnetic MC's track. What about freedom of expression?

I'll tell it to you straight, the vast majority of fans have never even thought that this song was promoting violence against women - they just hear the word "bitch" and think that sounds slightly controversial. Thats what the Prodigy are about, they are the sort of band that parents hate because they are brash.

Lets see what shall we censor next, I think Raging Bull has some wife beating and how about video games...

I'm sorry, where did I say that we should censor things? I'm simply saying that lyrics such as these promote violence. Of course it is the right of people to put out whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that music listeners should support it.

Obviously some people (such as the woman mentioned in Yauch's post) did take it at face value. You have no idea what it is like to have a painful memory brought up because of a stupid song. I'm not sure how the Beasties are in the wrong for trying to prevent that. The Beasties did not demand that the song not be played, they simply requested that it not be played and gave their reasons for it.

This is probably the best thing that ever happened to Liam H. I mean, Jesus, it six years later and we're still discussing this! I'm sure that is why he said something negative about the Beastie Boys in the press, to receive more attention for his own band.

J-Syxx
10-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I sure would never want to talk to this guy from Prodigy. He probably considers himself as a god and talks in the third person.

Runoutgroove
10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry, where did I say that we should censor things? I'm simply saying that lyrics such as these promote violence..

Its kind of implicit when you support someone who thinks that certain songs should not be played in public.

Of course it is the right of people to put out whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that music listeners should support it...

Of course not, turn off the radio if you are offended.

Obviously some people (such as the woman mentioned in Yauch's post) did take it at face value. You have no idea what it is like to have a painful memory brought up because of a stupid song. ...

I guess you know me, so...

I'm not sure how the Beasties are in the wrong for trying to prevent that. The Beasties did not demand that the song not be played, they simply requested that it not be played and gave their reasons for it.

I think it makes yauch look just a bit naive/authoritarian when the song is not even about that.

This is probably the best thing that ever happened to Liam H. I mean, Jesus, it six years later and we're still discussing this! I'm sure that is why he said something negative about the Beastie Boys in the press, to receive more attention for his own band.

No I doubt it. We're are discussing it because this is BBoys message board, and thats the only time these two groups have ever been related.

Runoutgroove
10-05-2004, 08:58 PM
We're are discussing it because this is BBoys message board, and thats the only time these two groups have ever been related.

Although, Liam did also steal the "oh my god thats the funky shit" sample, which was bloody cheeky. :D

kingadrock
10-05-2004, 09:39 PM
i do like the prodigy, fat of the land was a great album. however, i have listened so some their new album and from what i've heard so far it sounds pretty lame. so liam shouldn't be talking shit about anyone. Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned may have done well in the UK but i've been keeping track of billboard.com and i don't even think it debuted in the top 50 hear in the states. that just goes to show you that most americans don't give a fuck about prodigy anymore.

Rancid_Beasties
10-06-2004, 05:52 AM
Yauch, you are one of my biggest heros, but i gotta call you on this one. You guys can hardly speak on disrespectfulness to women, what with your early days. I know you were just kids back in the LTI days, but all the same you said stuff in your songs, and in interviews that was pretty disrespectful to women. But at the time you didn't know better.

Be thankful that you have found a strong sense of religion, political awareness and morality over your career, pity the mere mortals in the prodigy. Dont tell them what to do just because you reign supreme. For instance, if anybody told you not to sing boomin granny back in the day (or even now), it'd make you want to sing it even more!!! Same with the prodigy, especially considering the lack of good songs they have, and that smack my bitch up is one of their best (if only for the tune). By the way when you come to Australia please play the sounds of science, the song not the album :D its the greatest!!!

Van_Gig
10-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Segui il tuo corso e lascia dir la gente!

ERICH VON DÄNIKEN RULES (y) . word .

Intense
10-06-2004, 08:09 AM
haha ok...

@dog..why should i care what a irrelevant rookie like u is saying? your cheap disses got no effect on me.

to all u amateurs, if u know anything about producing, the new prodigy album is very well produced, it may be not your taste, but the technical execution is definitely excellent. any producer who know shit will agree.

and any producer who know shit will agree that the new beastie album is weak. some tracks even sound like presets of a software programm (it's not but it sounds like). i think that's why liam said it's shit basically. he sees it from the view of a producer. true, unsuspecting 2nd class listeners think it's a great longplayer, that's ok, i mean, they' re average customers but longtime producers know the deal...

@kingadrock...yea true, americans don't give a fuck about prodigy anymore...u guys prefer 50 cent, p-diddy, ja rule, snoop etc etc...welcome to america...hahahahaha...lol

lazerinyourear
10-06-2004, 08:26 AM
I promised myself to be careful what I say here, (nobody gets my sarcasim or feciousiousness <--is that a word?, or my strange sense of humor but, what have you produced besides that post, intense? As far as beats go, this album surpasses all but PB and CYH. Prodigy sucks IN MY OPINION, and if you like that shit, fine. I own a Barry Manilow cd. I'm not pointing fingers. But, if you consider the new album shit, I have to wonder if you can hear. (No offfense to the hearing impaired.) And, as far as the LTI lyrics go, we've all said things we wish we could take back, especially me. The difference is the time frame. 1986 and 1996 or whatever are 10 years apart and the lyrics are changed in live performances. And how friggin' bored am I to spend this much time arguing with a PRODUCER OF THE MEGASTARS! Guess I should go talk to a real person!!!!!!

P.S. Yeah, I make fun of MYSELF more than others. To the cool peeps on the board, I'm usually joking, I live to have fun and don't mean any harm.

Qdrop
10-06-2004, 09:15 AM
yeah....i gotta side with those on this thread (intense, runoutgroove, ect) that feel that the boys were waaaaaaaay off that day in 98'.

the song was NOT meant to promote misogynistic violence....at all.
any more then saying "i'm gonna beat your punk ass" is diss to punk rockers.

the phrase "smack my bitch up" is to be taken in the same vien as "so good, makes you wanna slap your mamma" and such.
it's a GENERIC, exclammotory phrase that means "fire it up", ect.

Anyone with the tinyest bit of pop culture savy should be able to decipher this.....including the beastie boys.
and i HAVE to believe they knew this....unless they are truly out of touch with the world around them.
which is why i always thought that whole instance was a publicity stunt of sorts on the behalf of the Beasties...and a pander to the liberal "PC" left.
it really sucked.

and even if prodigy actually meant for the song to be pro-women beating.
so what?....
i am so fuckin sick of liberals and conservatives alike who claim that media (TV and music...books, ect) can induce violent activity.
does any moron out there truly believe the someone is going to hear "smack my bitch up" and say "ohh......man, it's about time i did smack my bitch up....yeah!!"
come the fuck on!!
anyone who does what a song or book or movie says ALREADY HAS A PREDALICTION TO VIOLENCE, ect. In other words, they are already fucked up.
it's not the media...it's the pre-existing mind.
media will not cause an otherwise law abiding, good natured person to commit violence. that's fucking ludicris and not backed up by a shred of scientific evidence. NONE!
name one REPEATED, substantiated study that shows this....

i can go on....but i'll wait for a reply to this.....

and please, no "but we as a society have to take a general stand against any negative messaging blah blah blah"

such vague, unsubstantiated "feel good" mantras......pathetic and shallow.

iLL kID
10-06-2004, 09:34 AM
@INTENSENCE YOUR A BITCH

sugaplumfairy
10-06-2004, 09:47 AM
I thought some of you might find this interesting, considering the recent talk about the Prodigy and Smack my bitch up....

Act 2 (http://www.prodigycenter.com/?opposition)

Yauch
10-06-2004, 11:11 AM
wow, this thread got intense quick, no pun intended. (but while we're on the subject, is that you liam? that would be funny.)

ok, i am going to add a couple of things here.

first off, we didn't tell them not to play the song. we asked them if they would mind not playing it. that is not censorship, that is a conversation. the decision was always up to them.

secondly, the person who mentioned that there are misogynistic lyrics on LTI is right, and that is precisely the discussion we had with liam. it was basically from our side something like "back in the day some of what we said joking around was misunderstood... we learned from our mistakes... the song smack my bitch up really comes across to us like it is promoting violence towards women..." again, it was a discussion, not a demand.

third, you can say what the song means to you, and I can say what it means to me, but neither of us can say what it means to everyone. if you want to get a sense of what the song means, take a poll, ask a bunch of people what it means to them.

lastly, if you ask me, everything does have an effect in the world. If someone hears it, it has an effect. you are making me think by posting here, i'm making you think... every conversation, everything we listen to and see changes us a little.

i am not suggesting that we sensor people's music, but having conversations about what things mean or what effects they have on people is a good thing.

Parkey
10-06-2004, 11:32 AM
secondly, the person who mentioned that there are misogynistic lyrics on LTI is right, and that is precisely the discussion we had with liam. it was basically from our side something like "back in the day some of what we said joking around was misunderstood... we learned from our mistakes... the song smack my bitch up really comes across to us like it is promoting violence towards women..." again, it was a discussion, not a demand.

You see, that makes more sense. I think that's a very fair line to take on the matter. But the old saying by Plato was along the lines of; "The young need to make their own mistakes".

Again, out of interest, did you have a word with D12 at the MTV movie awards? I know they only played My Band (which in itself is a travesty), but given some of their output they are maybe more deserved of a quiet word than the Prodigy.

lazerinyourear
10-06-2004, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Yauch" every conversation, everything we listen to and see changes us a little."

Damn, I wish I could come up with shit like that!

And, I love Mario Caldetto, Jr. just as much as anyone but i couldn't be happier with the TT5B release. Genius comes to mind. Great blend of expression, fun, and mad beats. An old school feeling is captured even if not intended. Fuck you lame, I mean liam.

Qdrop
10-06-2004, 12:16 PM

third, you can say what the song means to you, and I can say what it means to me, but neither of us can say what it means to everyone. if you want to get a sense of what the song means, take a poll, ask a bunch of people what it means to them.

lastly, if you ask me, everything does have an effect in the world. If someone hears it, it has an effect. you are making me think by posting here, i'm making you think... every conversation, everything we listen to and see changes us a little.

Ok, first....Yauch...i dig you. you seem like good people.
and i see your point.

but you're still repeating the same vague rhettoric i hear from far too many PC liberals....

things like "if you ask me, everything does have an effect in the world. If someone hears it, it has an effect." are very vague unsubstantiated statements.

what true negative effect does hearing "smack my bitch up" have on society or any individual?
it hurts their feeling?....it reminds them of past instances of thier lives?

tough!....why should they be coddled?.....why should they be pandered to?
don't go to the show...turn the station, ect.
if they misunderstand the meaning....THAT'S THERE FAULT! deal with it!

why should others be punished for that? (by having to endure censorship).

by asking Prodigy to please not play that song, you were asking them to censor themselves....plain and simple. end of story there.

this country is constantly putting "feelings" over facts....."feelings" over expression.
that causes so much damage in the politcal world, as well as the artistic world.
you, as an artist should recognize that.

you mention your early work on LTI....
tell me....did you actually mean any of those misogynistic remarks you made?....were they meant to be literal? even back then?
do you think any good-hearted kids heard those lyrics and changed thier whole philosophy on how to act in society?
of course not....there were just rap songs.......that's it.
they had little or no effect in that respect.

i think, unfortunately..artists sometimes put TOO MUCH stock in their songs...they think they have far more of an effect then they do.

music culture may influence fashion and/or some basic behavior in certain circumstances.
but behavior is BY AND LARGE is fueled by the direct enviroment we live in...and genetics. not rap songs.
music reflects....it doesn't dictate.

Qdrop
10-06-2004, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=Yauch" every conversation, everything we listen to and see changes us a little."

Damn, I wish I could come up with shit like that!

And, I love Mario Caldetto, Jr. just as much as anyone but i couldn't be happier with the TT5B release. Genius comes to mind. Great blend of expression, fun, and mad beats. An old school feeling is captured even if not intended. Fuck you lame, I mean liam.

dude, wipe some of that poop off your face from kissing Yauch's butt so much.
have some integrity.

lazerinyourear
10-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Actually, it's the liberals that normally speak out against censorship, etc. With the exception of dumbass Tipper Gore. (It's etc., not ect. BTW.)

If you are sharing a stage w/ someone, that is a reflection on you. Yes, they could've not played but, asking is not censorship. Pulling the plug on the mike would have been censorship. (And and act of kindness in my opinion. Have you heard them live?)

Let it go, Yauch's right. I disagree w/ censorship and all of the bullshit "the music made me do it" lawsuits. That doesn't mean you can't pull an artist aside and express your opinion. He could have just played the damn song but, he had to make a big deal about it. More than likely to make a headline. It put the Prodigy name in the paper for a minute.

When is the "Where are they Now" episode gonna air?

lazerinyourear
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
dude, wipe some of that poop off your face from kissing Yauch's butt so much.
have some integrity.

The only ass I kiss is my girlfriend's. (My balls are in her purse.) JK

I don't have a reason to kiss anyone's ass. Think Yauch is inviting me for dinner or something? No.

That is my opinion. If I disagreed, I would say so. The man has a point and is no different than anyone else I know. Fame doesn't impress me. Your lack of grammar doesn't impress me either.

Intense
10-06-2004, 12:56 PM
haha yauch, niceone.. but nah it's not liam*

first off, wise words man, but i personaly wouldn't make such a theatre because of a song title, even if it's a track that u play in front of thousands of people. true, we don't we don't know what the tracks means to each person but i think if there's any person which becomes aggressive and wants to beat a women after hearing a track called "smack my bitch up" then he might be an complete dumb neanderthaler with no brain.

how dumb must a person be wanting to beat a women after hearing a certain track??

anyways, i said what i wanna say and yauch, thanks for the reply (even although i've critized the album)

you'll laugh yauch but if u need any remix of a beastie tune made by professionals then i'm yours. i guarantee the result would be more than satisfying. just drop me a mail if you're interested or if u wanna know more.

L-ROX
10-06-2004, 01:16 PM
True, it's wrong to censor people but that happened in '98 and that cat is still on that? I'm sorry, but that's bitch-made.

Regarding the latest Beastie Boys album, I'm a producer/mastering engineer (I only work with hip hop, so trust I know what the fuck I'm talking about), the album was well-done. I love the way "3 the hard way" sounds on my Polk-Audios.

Which one of you fucks that was touring back in '87 is STILL putting out records and packing large venues today, Hmm?

Qdrop
10-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Exactly. The point is not whether a man is going to hear the song and think "what a good idea", the point is that a woman (especially one who's been abused) might hear the song or just the title and think "Wow, that's not funny or clever, it just sounds like they're condoning violence against women." Don't condemn a person's natural response to something as "PC liberal rhetoric". I can avoid the Prodigy's concerts like the plague, and I do, but if I go to a Beastie Boys show I have a right not to expect to hear violent, hateful bullshit.

that is such complete bullshit.....
you have no idea, but you are well on your way to fascist thinking.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT SOME PERSON MAY THINK OR MAY GET OFFENDED! tough shit!!!
artists do not have a responsibility to not hurt people's feelings....for fuck sake, what is wrong with you people?

"but if I go to a Beastie Boys show I have a right not to expect to hear violent, hateful bullshit."

what the fuck planet are you from? if you go to a concert or festival, you think you have the RIGHT to not be offended?....what the fuck!?

you overly sensivtive elitist......grow some balls.

it's like going to a bar and demanding that no one in there be drunk...DUDE, IT'S A BAR....THERE ARE BOUND TO BE DRUNK PEOPLE THERE!!
it's goes with the territory....you know what you're gettin into.

i think people like this should just stay home, in there own little safe fantasy world.

when you, or yauch, or anyone else says "that offends me, and possibley other people.....can you not do that?"....that's forcing your veiws on other people....aka-mild facism.
yes, you're asking - not forcing....but the underlying ethic is there.

it comes down to choice....you can choose to buy an album or not...to go to a concert or not....to watch a video or not.....
you choose...
no one has the right to take that choice away...
you know what to expect when you do any of those things.....it's your life.

but that is what people like you try and do.....take that choice away from the rest of us because it offends you and a few others.
you try and take it upon yourself to SAVE these other people from hearing, seeing, reading something that YOU are just so sure is terrible and wrong.

hey, i'd be offended if I DIDN'T hear that song......don't i count?...don't my feelings count?

does ANYONE else on here understand what i'm saying?

Rich Cheney
10-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Y'all can argue over the smack my bitch up line all you want.
I'm offended by the part where that bloke says "change my pitch up"

Yeah my voice is high, so what no need to mock me.

Parkey
10-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Well I like them both; Beasties and the Prodigy. In fact i'm seeing them both on consecutive nights in Manchester this December. Yauch has as much right to air his feelings as Howlett does. Neither are right and neither are wrong but on the day in Reading I think the crown sided with the Prodigy over the Beasties as it came across as the big international act throwing their weight around. The Beasties have every right to ask people not to play stuff but then they shouldn't be suprised when the same people get pissed off.

I'm sure it was made all the more accute by the fact that the Prodigy were all fully signed up Beastie lovers and hardcore fans. I imagine it could come as a bit of a shock to hear when you were expecting a call wishing you luck on the night. I get the feeling it was a bigger deal in the USA (the song that is) as in the UK it got played on BBC Radio 1 pretty heavily and they were viewed by then as pantomine bad guys in a similar way to the Sex Pistols.

stillill
10-06-2004, 03:50 PM
I think that it might be useful to read one another's posts and actually think about each other's points. I seems that many people are just focused on being right and just say that the other person is wrong. I have tried to explain why I feel a certain way. It does not really help to attack a person or a vague ideology; this does not refute that person's specific point.

Ask yourself this: what were the intentions of each party? Do you believe that the Beasties were coming from a pure place, trying to prevent a negative message from having an effect on others? Do you believe that The Prodigy had a knee-jerk, adolescent, you can't tell me what to do reponse without trying to see things from another perspective? I do. I would be more than happy to further explain myself in a respectful way with any member of the board.

Y'all can argue over the smack my bitch up line all you want.
I'm offended by the part where that bloke says "change my pitch up"

Yeah my voice is high, so what no need to mock me.

You crack me up.

Parkey
10-06-2004, 03:59 PM
I think that it might be useful to read one another's posts and actually think about each other's points.

Amen to that!

L-ROX
10-06-2004, 04:02 PM
"change my pitch up"

Cool, finally I know what he says on that line, LOL, I always thought he said "change my picture" which made absolutely no sense (I thought it had to be a brit thing).

BTW, at the Beasties concert @ the Universal Amphitheatre not too long ago, this dude got punched in the face (I think it was over dude looking at some other guy's girl). Too bad, he missed MMM's siiiiiiiiiick intro.

Parkey
10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
"change my pitch up"

Cool, finally I know what he says on that line, LOL, I always thought he said "change my picture" which made absolutely no sense (I thought it had to be a brit thing).

When I saw Prodigy doing that track at a festival back in 1996 and it hadn't been released, I thought it said 'Take Your Beechams'...

Gabriely
10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
omg...that is why you are my hero Yauch ;)

JRide71
10-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Next time you think something is offensive...just remember back when your parents thought G n' R was pretty freakin repulsive. Pretty tame by todays standards. These things are SUBJECTIVE...and cannot be put into "offensive" vs. "non-offensive" categories. Think about it, how the hell can one categorize music (or art) into tidy little neat categories. Walk into any music store and you are left wondering where the hell your band is...punk? garage? hip hop? rap? R+B? and the worst of all...POP?? People waste way too much time trying to trying to put things into their own perspective rather than taking music for what it should be...a form of art without boundaries or reservations. As a music director for my school radio station for 4 years, I have reviewed hundreds of CDs for the radio station (believe me, I still am no expert) and found myself screening thousands of songs that are deemed "non offensive" and safe for airplay. Quick reality check...my station was slapped with the largest fine ever given to a college radio station (20,000) and 3 years off the air because a graveyard shift DJ let one FUCK go over the air at 2 am. Bullshit, right (thanks FCC)?. If we are to cater to anyone and everyone listening with a radio or at a club/concert, things would be unbelievably boring. Hell, my grandmother thinks "Whoomp there it is" came straight from the devil. Please do not buy into the fact that music should cater to your beliefs. If there is something that you disagree with, FINE, speak out against it...just don't take away someone's right to say it.

"Insert your generic Beastie Boys Quote here"

sugaplumfairy
10-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Actually, it's the liberals that normally speak out against censorship, etc. With the exception of dumbass Tipper Gore. (It's etc., not ect. BTW.)

If you are sharing a stage w/ someone, that is a reflection on you. Yes, they could've not played but, asking is not censorship. Pulling the plug on the mike would have been censorship. (And and act of kindness in my opinion. Have you heard them live?)

Let it go, Yauch's right. I disagree w/ censorship and all of the bullshit "the music made me do it" lawsuits. That doesn't mean you can't pull an artist aside and express your opinion. He could have just played the damn song but, he had to make a big deal about it. More than likely to make a headline. It put the Prodigy name in the paper for a minute.

When is the "Where are they Now" episode gonna air?

The Prodigy have been around long enough, and just because they are not as commerical in the US or Canada for that matter, doesn't mean they are going to have a where are they now episode on VH1 or MTV. I could go on for hours about bands that those channels say are one hit wonders, but in reality aren't played 400 times a day like Britney Spears, mainly because they want to appeal to a younger crowd, and they have a certain amount of "different" music that they are allowed to play.

Wouldn't you be offended if your favorite band told you not to play a song?

I love the Beasties and I love the Prodigy,and the funny thing is.....I hadn't heard anything about this until I came to this message board.

I don't see Yauch slamming the Prod, but I see a bunch of Beasties fans slinging mud all around. Apparently this is old news, let it stay that way. None of us will or do know the full story, and won't, so why is this such a big issue to people. If you don't like the Prod, don't buy their albums, see their shows, etc etc. Easy as that.

James Jupiter
10-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Taken from http://www.theprodigy.com/ 'News' 'Personal' section.

"7/10/2004 - posted by liam
i would like to set the record straight about this 'beastie boys nonsense'

it seems that some journalists are enjoying sensationalising some things i am supposed to have said.i have no wish to carry on any dissagreements i may have had about the smbu issue from Reading.people know my stance and it is still the same as it was then.

i recently was asked about their new album in an american interview and as with most of my interviews they are in my usual humour.i said that i had respect for their rhymes but i thought they needed me to make their beats doper as i didnt think they were as dope as they should be!!

really i dont give a shit- so their u go.

long live smbu!

LH"

Rancid_Beasties
10-07-2004, 02:15 AM
I'm not going to waste time on any of the petty "I'm right and your wrong" or "the new album sucks" or "prodigy sucks!!" arguments. Its a waste of time because none of us are going to be able to change other peoples opinions, thats the futility behind much of today's arguments and the reason behind so much conflict and war.

Anyway, Yauch, are you saying you actually regret doing some LTI and Pauls Boutique songs like maybe "high plains drifter" where you rap about stealing cars, smacking a seven eleven guy in the head with a bag of ice or like you pulling a shotgun on Adrock in "paul revere". Or one of your absolute classics
Girls - to do the dishes
Girls - to clean up my room
Girls - to do the laundry
Girls - and in the bathroom
Girls - that's all I really want is girls

Thats what made you guys the kings in my opinion!!! That ability to make fun of the rap scene, to ham up the fact that you were rappers despite your geekiness and the fact that you were "a bunch of joeys" (i'm assuming you guys were sort of geeks because you dont look like sport superstars no offence, and you dont look like nerds). You guys let the general public know that what you say in your songs doesn't matter, its entertainment, its all a bit of fun.

This was further enhanced by your video clips which made fun of all spectrums of society while also having a sense of nostalgia towards movies and old cop shows and stuff. I thought you would be so against censorship....i gotta say i'm a little disillusioned with you Yauch. I know those Prodigy songs are also sort of roleplay too. I mean their songs can't be taken literally. Even now, after all your enlightenment and that you have a kid and you're married and stuff (I know you've probably matured more than most of us ever will, which i might add i'm not having a go at...) I thought you guys still had an abstract sense of humour, enough to be able to get the Prodigy's music. Or at least understand that its different horses for different courses.

Runoutgroove
10-07-2004, 03:28 AM
And I should add that, yes, your point about choice is exactly what I was saying: I can make a choice to avoid hearing something I don't like, and I can make a choice to ask someone not to play something I don't like, just like Beastie Boys can. I can also make the choice to ask you not to call me a fascist, because it offends me, but by doing so I'm not censoring you. Learn the difference.

The thing your missing out here is that its not just about "my/your/one's personal choice", if that had been the case then every single person at the concert would have (and indeed did make) a choice about whether to stay or leave when smack my bitch up came on. However, if it had never been played then no-one would have had the choice, they all would have been 'protected'. Think people, where does that sort of protectionism end?

I think we can all agree that subjectivity means that we can't say what a song means exactly to every single person, but to not play SMBU on the basis that it might hurt someones feelings? Come on folks , take the rose tinted shades off, I like the Beasties too , but if a politician had come out and said this then you would all be up in arms.

rumbles
10-07-2004, 04:35 AM
amen, freedom of speach.

open up your ears and clean out your eyes.

rumbles
10-07-2004, 04:39 AM
amen, freedom of speach.

open up your ears and clean out your eyes.

freedom to spell words wrong too!!!!! [speech] :p

Parkey
10-07-2004, 04:39 AM
Isn't the freedom of speech mantra: "I hate what you say and what you stand for, but I will fight to the death to allow you the right to say it"?

rumbles
10-07-2004, 04:44 AM
Isn't the freedom of speech mantra: "I hate what you say and what you stand for, but I will fight to the death to allow you the right to say it"?

sounds pretty bang on to me, but to be honest i probably wouldnt fight to my death though.

Parkey
10-07-2004, 04:49 AM
sounds pretty bang on to me, but to be honest i probably wouldnt fight to my death though.
I'd maybe fight till I got cut, then run away...

rumbles
10-07-2004, 04:53 AM
I'd maybe fight till I got cut, then run away...

Braver man than me buddy, i was thinking of more like giving them a stern talking to, maybe even pointing at them a bit!?

AdrocksMyBody
10-07-2004, 04:56 AM
So I've read the thread and I've seen a lot of "in the wrong" and "not in the wrong" flying about. Perhaps it's my limited opinion, but I don't think in this instance there is a wrong or a right per se. But there is opinion and perception. And unfortunately that clouds people's minds and puts them on the defensive.

I look at it like this...so Yauch and the Boys felt that the song promoted or was likely to incite violence towards women. I can understand where that feeling comes from. The song is titled "Smack My Bitch Up." It's an intense track and the fact of the matter is people do take things literally. They do. And if no one is making the effort to look for a deeper meaning in it, well than the arguement that the song could promote violence against women is a valid one in my mind. But what also has to be said is that anyone looking to do harm to women was likely always, in a way, looking to do that. And while the song, however interpreted, may have put the feelings of violence over the edge-- it's not entirely fair to blame the artist/the song for that. Those feelings were there long before the music was, most likely. But on the same token, it's not at all wrong to be put-off by the song, thinking that it could incite violence. Or that it could push already existing feelings to a point of no return.

From where I sit, I don't feel like either the boys or Prodigy were "in the wrong." Prodigy are entitled to make whatever kind of music they'd like to make. But with that right comes the fact that they do have an influence, if not a responsibility. You put out a song like that and there are going to be some people that are offended or will seek a clearer definition of your motivation. And there will be people that misinterpret and take too literally the things you put out, regardless of the original intent.

To find the song offensive isn't being in the wrong. People will have differing opinions, as demonstrated by this thread. An opinion isn't wrong...even if the opinion runs contrary to what you believe. So the boys aren't wrong for feeling the way they felt. And they aren't wrong for asking them not to play that song. They asked. Prodigy declined and played it anyway. Prodigy felt it was slight by the Beasties asking them to not play the song...that's understandable as well. And them feeling that way isn't wrong either.

As for the whole Beastie Boys sucking/Prodigy sucking comments. Well, you know that's what we call subjective. And, to me, it's not the focal point of the arguement at hand. And before I get picked apart, this all just my opinion and how I personally look at this particular debate. I can only hope people are respectful of my, as well as each other's, opinions.

Parkey
10-07-2004, 04:58 AM
Braver man than me buddy, i was thinking of more like giving them a stern talking to, maybe even pointing at them a bit!?
You do that and I'll stand behind you agreeing with everything you say (nodding enthusiastically - that kind of thing).

rumbles
10-07-2004, 04:59 AM
So I've read the thread and I've seen a lot of "in the wrong" and "not in the wrong" flying about. Perhaps it's my limited opinion, but I don't think in this instance there is a wrong or a right per se. But their is opinion and perception. And unfortunately that clouds people's minds and puts them on the defensive.

I look at it like this...so Yauch and the Boys felt that the song promoted or was likely to incite violence towards women. I can understand where that feeling comes from. The song is titled "Smack My Bitch Up." It's an intense track and the fact of the matter is people do take things literally. They do. And if no one is making the effort to look for a deeper meaning in it, well than the arguement that the song could promote violence against women is a valid one in my mind. But what also has to be said is that anyone looking to do harm to women was likely always, in a way, looking to do that. And while the song, however interpreted, may have put the feelings of violence over the edge-- it's not entirely fair to blame the artist/the song for that. Those feelings were there long before the music was, most likely. But on the same token, it's not at all wrong to be put-off by the song, thinking that it could incite violence. Or that it could push already existing feelings to a point of no return.

From where I sit, I don't feel like either the boys or Prodigy were "in the wrong." Prodigy are entitled to make whatever kind of music they'd like to make. But with that right comes the fact that they do have an influence, if not a responsibility. You put out a song like that and there are going to be some people that are offended or will seek a clearer definition of your motivation. And there will be people that misinterpret and take too literally the things you put out, regardless of the original intent.

To find the song offensive isn't being in the wrong. People will have differing opinions, as demonstrated by this thread. An opinion isn't wrong...even if the opinion runs contrary to what you believe. So the boys aren't wrong for feeling the way they felt. And they aren't wrong for asking them not to play that song. They asked. Prodigy declined and played it anyway. Prodigy felt it was slight by the Beasties asking them to not play the song...that's understandable as well. And them feeling that way isn't wrong either.

As for the whole Beastie Boys sucking/Prodigy sucking comments. Well, you know that's what we call subjective. And, to me, it's not the focal point of the arguement at hand. And before I get picked apart, this all just my opinion and how I personally look at this particular debate. I can only hope people are respectful of my, as well as each other's, opinions.

...that's what i was gonna say.

rumbles
10-07-2004, 05:05 AM
You do that and I'll stand behind you agreeing with everything you say (nodding enthusiastically - that kind of thing).

yeh yeh! and we could dress up like batman and robin or starksy and hutch and put the world to rights!!!! :p

Johanna
10-07-2004, 06:13 AM
no offence, Qdrop, but you're an idiot

Shooter McGavin
10-07-2004, 06:39 AM
Woah, I can't believe what I'm reading. I've listened to the new album everyday since it came out and absolutely could not be happier with a great way to spend $14.99.

which album?
because although ive been fans of both bands for so long, i have to admit that both new albums may be slightly weaker than any of their former.
but still a huge fan nonetheless.

j-dog
10-07-2004, 06:41 AM
[QUOTE=Intense]haha ok...

@dog..why should i care what a irrelevant rookie like u is saying? your cheap disses got no effect on me.

i presume you are referring to me or is there an @dog somewhere here? anyway, in what way am i AN irrelevant rookie? please explain. do you mean rookie as in a new beasties fan/prodigy fan/message board user? really in the dark here. i'll dash each one now anyway. hardly a new beasties fan, bought LTI and the singles when they came out. bought ...experience and singles when released. ok, maybe don't use the message board that much but was using the old one for a few years. don't feel the need to be a total fanatic. love the music and know what i need to know about the group. so, how am i a rookie?
ha, after all this you probably will be responding to an @dog on the board somewhere! if so, oops, my bad.

rumbles
10-07-2004, 07:31 AM
who the f*ck is Qdrop!?!! (too lazy to search back through all the other posts!) what did he say!? :confused:

Parkey
10-07-2004, 07:55 AM
who the f*ck is Qdrop!?!! (too lazy to search back through all the other posts!) what did he say!? :confused:
My thoughts exactly

rumbles
10-07-2004, 08:05 AM
My thoughts exactly

great minds my friend, great minds. :cool:

some people take music too seriously and too literally, the whole reason for music is to express yourself and to have fun, if you dont like it, dont listen to it! :)

j-dog
10-07-2004, 08:53 AM
er, just realised that i'm wearing a very old prodigy t-shirt to work today. great, now i'm totally fuckin tortured. :confused:

rumbles
10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
er, just realised that i'm wearing a very old prodigy t-shirt to work today. great, now i'm totally fuckin tortured. :confused:

$$$$$$$ put it on e-bay you'll make a mint!?! $$$$$$$$

Qdrop
10-07-2004, 09:44 AM
(end of page 2- JRide's statement)

Leave it to Jeff to inject some truth.......thanks, man.

"Insert your generic Beastie Boys Quote here"
^HA....my thoughts exactly.

Qdrop
10-07-2004, 09:52 AM
The thing your missing out here is that its not just about "my/your/one's personal choice", if that had been the case then every single person at the concert would have (and indeed did make) a choice about whether to stay or leave when smack my bitch up came on. However, if it had never been played then no-one would have had the choice, they all would have been 'protected'. Think people, where does that sort of protectionism end?

I think we can all agree that subjectivity means that we can't say what a song means exactly to every single person, but to not play SMBU on the basis that it might hurt someones feelings? Come on folks , take the rose tinted shades off, I like the Beasties too , but if a politician had come out and said this then you would all be up in arms.

THANK YOU........AT LEAST SOME ONE ELSE GETS IT!

you summarized perfectly!!

Qdrop
10-07-2004, 09:53 AM

um...yeah......none taken.....ASS.

no offense.....

Johanna
10-07-2004, 10:04 AM
um...yeah......none taken.....ASS.

no offense.....
:( what's with the name calling?

nicolajames1981
10-07-2004, 10:09 AM
yeah....i gotta side with those on this thread (intense, runoutgroove, ect) that feel that the boys were waaaaaaaay off that day in 98'.

the song was NOT meant to promote misogynistic violence....at all.
any more then saying "i'm gonna beat your punk ass" is diss to punk rockers.

the phrase "smack my bitch up" is to be taken in the same vien as "so good, makes you wanna slap your mamma" and such.
it's a GENERIC, exclammotory phrase that means "fire it up", ect.

Anyone with the tinyest bit of pop culture savy should be able to decipher this.....including the beastie boys.
and i HAVE to believe they knew this....unless they are truly out of touch with the world around them.
which is why i always thought that whole instance was a publicity stunt of sorts on the behalf of the Beasties...and a pander to the liberal "PC" left.
it really sucked.

and even if prodigy actually meant for the song to be pro-women beating.
so what?....
i am so fuckin sick of liberals and conservatives alike who claim that media (TV and music...books, ect) can induce violent activity.
does any moron out there truly believe the someone is going to hear "smack my bitch up" and say "ohh......man, it's about time i did smack my bitch up....yeah!!"
come the fuck on!!
anyone who does what a song or book or movie says ALREADY HAS A PREDALICTION TO VIOLENCE, ect. In other words, they are already fucked up.
it's not the media...it's the pre-existing mind.
media will not cause an otherwise law abiding, good natured person to commit violence. that's fucking ludicris and not backed up by a shred of scientific evidence. NONE!
name one REPEATED, substantiated study that shows this....

i can go on....but i'll wait for a reply to this.....

and please, no "but we as a society have to take a general stand against any negative messaging blah blah blah"

such vague, unsubstantiated "feel good" mantras......pathetic and shallow.

No one I know in all of England uses the phrase "Smack my bitch up" as an exclamation. The only reason the Prodigy used that phrase in their toss song is because they knew us uptight Brits would go "OHMYGOD, thats soooooo controversial - let's ban it." The resulting publicity from this controversy lead to the single to be brought by all the sad little kids who think that buying controversial songs makes them cool. That is the only reason I think the Beasties were wrong to discuss not playing the song with the Prodigy - because it gave them exactly the kind of publicity they were relying on to sell their album. That's just my opinion!

Parkey
10-07-2004, 10:11 AM
No one I know in all of England uses the phrase "Smack my bitch up" as an exclamation. The only reason the Prodigy used that phrase in their toss song is because they knew us uptight Brits would go "OHMYGOD, thats soooooo controversial - let's ban it." The resulting publicity from this controversy lead to the single to be brought by all the sad little kids who think that buying controversial songs makes them cool. That is the only reason I think the Beasties were wrong to discuss not playing the song with the Prodigy - because it gave them exactly the kind of publicity they were relying on to sell their album. That's just my opinion!
What bollocks! No-one banned it. They use it on Match of The Day for god's sake!

nicolajames1981
10-07-2004, 10:17 AM
I know no one banned it. Did I say it got banned? I said that uptight people said "let's ban it" and that people rushed out to buy it because of the controversy surrounding it. It should be banned for being total pants.

Parkey
10-07-2004, 10:37 AM
I know no one banned it. Did I say it got banned? I said that uptight people said "let's ban it" and that people rushed out to buy it because of the controversy surrounding it. It should be banned for being total pants.
How about banning Busted? Now they are offensive and they have come out as Tories. Maybe the Beasties could have a word over that...

Qdrop
10-07-2004, 10:53 AM

what's with the hypocracy?

Qdrop
10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
What bollocks!

being american,
i think "bollocks" is the the greatest word in the british language.....
i can't see it, hear it, or say it without cracking up.

god, what a word.......

well, that.....and "daft"......that rocks too.

Brits sure can talk cool.........

zippo
10-07-2004, 02:10 PM
wow, this thread got intense quick, no pun intended. (but while we're on the subject, is that you liam? that would be funny.)

ok, i am going to add a couple of things here.

first off, we didn't tell them not to play the song. we asked them if they would mind not playing it. that is not censorship, that is a conversation. the decision was always up to them.

i am not suggesting that we sensor people's music, but having conversations about what things mean or what effects they have on people is a good thing.

Hey Adam, this is an example of how the internet can help public personalities directly clear things up about themselves that the media has changed or manipulated. Some of you public people should get together and creat some sort of webpage or forum that promotes against media manipulated information (considering public personalities specifically i mean). It could like maybe prevent some law suits. Say you don´t like something a magazine said for example,you can clear it up through this webpage thats open to all who care to see it, considering sometimes the media mess many safe reputations up for all the wrong reasons.
A mass communication instrument driven by the other side, you guys that is, the celebrities.

Parkey
10-07-2004, 02:33 PM
being american,
i think "bollocks" is the the greatest word in the british language.....
i can't see it, hear it, or say it without cracking up.

god, what a word.......

well, that.....and "daft"......that rocks too.

Brits sure can talk cool.........

When I was in the states people seemed to piss themselves whenever i said 'twat'...

Qdrop
10-07-2004, 02:39 PM
When I was in the states people seemed to piss themselves whenever i said 'twat'...

that, too, is a spectacular word.....however i never thought of it as british....

i just love that one scene in "about a boy" when Hugh Grant calls that mom a "daft fucking hippy".

cinematic gold......

i use that all the time.

*this is what is known as a THREAD JACK!!*

Yauch
10-07-2004, 02:52 PM

true true, in retrospect maybe we really should have just let the whole thing alone, and let it fade away. but then again, this seems like a good thread, so maybe it was for the best as it gets people talking about things like this. i'll say one last thing on the topic and then i'm gonna leave it alone.

i don't think that we ever looked at it like someone was going to hear the song and run out and beat someone up right there and then. we were looking at it more like, songs like that have an effect over time. when you hear "smack my bitch up, smack my bitch up, smack my bitch up..." over and over again from a band that you like, it gets drilled into your head.

if someone is impressionable and looks up to the band, maybe it leaves them feeling like in certain cases it's ok to give a woman a smack. even if they don't smack anyone themselves, just feeling that it is ok to do that is destructive, because it makes that kind of activity just a little more acceptable in our society.

Again, i’m not saying that songs like that should be banned, but I do think that having discussions (like this one) about what affects they could have, are good.

Parkey
10-07-2004, 02:58 PM
true true, in retrospect maybe we really should have just let the whole thing alone, and let it fade away. but then again, this seems like a good thread, so maybe it was for the best as it gets people talking about things like this. i'll say one last thing on the topic and then i'm gonna leave it alone.

i don't think that we ever looked at it like someone was going to hear the song and run out and beat someone up right there and then. we were looking at it more like, songs like that have an effect over time. when you hear "smack my bitch up, smack my bitch up, smack my bitch up..." over and over again from a band that you like, it gets drilled into your head.

if someone is impressionable and looks up to the band, maybe it leaves them feeling like in certain cases it's ok to give a woman a smack. even if they don't smack anyone themselves, just feeling that it is ok to do that is destructive, because it makes that kind of activity just a little more acceptable in our society.

Again, i’m not saying that songs like that should be banned, but I do think that having discussions (like this one) about what affects they could have, are good.
You should check out the other discussion that was sparked by this a few weeks ago:
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=29034

Qdrop
10-07-2004, 03:03 PM

Discussion is good......in agreement there.
But i strongly disagree with your paragraph above concerning a song inducing certain behavior.
I'll say it again......music reflects, it does not dictate.
No one ever changes their behavior exclusively because of a song or any other form of media they come in contact with.
Pre-existing mental states determine that.....

Yauch....i appreciate you coming on here and communicating with your fans.....very cool.
I'll be at the Toronto show on Nov. 9th.....i'll be the guy waiving to you in the crowd.
....kidding.

Parkey
10-07-2004, 03:08 PM
I agree there. It was like the fuss when American Psycho came out (the book that is). There was a proper brouhaha about it and now it's on the A-Level syllabus for high schools in the UK.

Yauch
10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
You should check out the other discussion that was sparked by this a few weeks ago:
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=29034

thanks for the heads up. that was a good thread.

Parkey
10-07-2004, 03:21 PM
thanks for the heads up. that was a good thread.
no bother mate

Kerouac Jack
10-07-2004, 03:32 PM
that is such complete bullshit.....
you have no idea, but you are well on your way to fascist thinking.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT SOME PERSON MAY THINK OR MAY GET OFFENDED! tough shit!!!
artists do not have a responsibility to not hurt people's feelings....for fuck sake, what is wrong with you people?

"but if I go to a Beastie Boys show I have a right not to expect to hear violent, hateful bullshit."

what the fuck planet are you from? if you go to a concert or festival, you think you have the RIGHT to not be offended?....what the fuck!?

you overly sensivtive elitist......grow some balls.

it's like going to a bar and demanding that no one in there be drunk...DUDE, IT'S A BAR....THERE ARE BOUND TO BE DRUNK PEOPLE THERE!!
it's goes with the territory....you know what you're gettin into.

i think people like this should just stay home, in there own little safe fantasy world.

when you, or yauch, or anyone else says "that offends me, and possibley other people.....can you not do that?"....that's forcing your veiws on other people....aka-mild facism.
yes, you're asking - not forcing....but the underlying ethic is there.

it comes down to choice....you can choose to buy an album or not...to go to a concert or not....to watch a video or not.....
you choose...
no one has the right to take that choice away...
you know what to expect when you do any of those things.....it's your life.

but that is what people like you try and do.....take that choice away from the rest of us because it offends you and a few others.
you try and take it upon yourself to SAVE these other people from hearing, seeing, reading something that YOU are just so sure is terrible and wrong.

hey, i'd be offended if I DIDN'T hear that song......don't i count?...don't my feelings count?

does ANYONE else on here understand what i'm saying?
You keep talking about having a "choice". I believe Yauch was clear when he explained that he just expressed his opinion on the song to Liam, and left it up to them whether or not they wanted to perform it. They still had the "choice". If they wanted to they could have told him to fuck off. It was just Yauch's opinion on the song, and nothing else. That's not censorship at all. I agree with you 100 percent that artists should not have to worry about offending people with their art, but people are going to be offended and have the right to express that just as much as the artist has the right to say what they're saying. It's all a matter of respect. If Yauch didn't feel comfortable with the song then it was nice of Liam to respect his feelings and not play it, however, the choice to play it was still there.

James Jupiter
10-07-2004, 04:00 PM
I hate that crap about the British being uptight. The US is much more uptight than Britain. A few examples: - In Britain the muff shot in 'Basic Instinct' wasn't cut out. Janet Jackson flashing her tit was show several times in the UK including on the news. No one tried to sue the TV stations for personal injury over it either (as happened in the US).

If some people think The Prodigy encouraged violence to women with the 'Smack My Bitch Up' track, couldn't it be said that the Beastie Boys encouraged criminal damage and theft by wearing VW car badges back in the 80s? I know people who stole VW badges in the 80s because the Beasties wore them.

Some people here will not listen to anyone else’s opinion no matter how relevant their points may be. They think that if The Prodigy had a disagreement with the Beastie Boys then The Prodigy must be in the wrong. The Beastie Boys can do no wrong in some peoples eyes.

I think everyone should agree to disagree. There is no point arguing about this ancient history.

I'm just off to play the 'Smack My Bitch Up' track really loud. ;)

James Jupiter
10-07-2004, 04:18 PM

Your argument could be used against all kinds of media. If an impressionable person plays a videogame involving shooting people will they think it is ok to do it in real life? The same goes for action movies, TV shows, music, etc. Should normal, well-balanced people not be allowed to enjoy this sort of entertainment because of a tiny minority of impressionable people?

Echewta
10-07-2004, 05:18 PM
All i need is some chips, salsa, and this thread to make nachos.

Clarence89
10-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Who cares about prodigy i havent heard anyone bring them up in so long, the beasties are silly nice, prodigy has got one foot in there career graves.

James Jupiter
10-08-2004, 02:01 AM
Who cares about prodigy i havent heard anyone bring them up in so long, the beasties are silly nice, prodigy has got one foot in there career graves.
Your comments illustrate your ignorance regarding The Prodigy.

GeeGee
10-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Round round we go...

Liam Howlett is not ex-Prodigy
The Beastie Boys and Prodigy had a spat a while ago in which Prodigy were clearly in the right
Yes he should stop going on about it but he gets asked in every interview
They got there name from the make of keyboard that everyone used back in the Acid House movement in the UK during the 1980s

etc. etc. etc.Tell us more! Is he still in the band? was he originally in Prodigy? Anyway's over it! The bboys is what i'm here for. I love the new album! Genius! I want there babies but already have a boyfriend? Sux!!!

MaestroDenis
10-08-2004, 05:15 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/sd/sidlazpage/

:)

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 07:04 AM
Should normal, well-balanced people not be allowed to enjoy this sort of entertainment because of a tiny minority of impressionable people?

BINGO!!!!!

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 07:09 AM
You keep talking about having a "choice". I believe Yauch was clear when he explained that he just expressed his opinion on the song to Liam, and left it up to them whether or not they wanted to perform it. They still had the "choice". If they wanted to they could have told him to fuck off. It was just Yauch's opinion on the song, and nothing else. That's not censorship at all. I agree with you 100 percent that artists should not have to worry about offending people with their art, but people are going to be offended and have the right to express that just as much as the artist has the right to say what they're saying. It's all a matter of respect. If Yauch didn't feel comfortable with the song then it was nice of Liam to respect his feelings and not play it, however, the choice to play it was still there.

if the Boys asked prodigy not to play it, and they didn't.......then isn't that taking the choice away from the audience?.....don't the thousands of PAYING fans have the right to make that choice (stay or leave) themselves?
Who are the Beastie boys to make that decision for everyone else.
I'm sorry, but THAT IS fascism in it's crudest form.

Most everyone on here is missing that point (cept for a few).....or else too busy falling all over themselves trying to agree with Yauch.

Johanna
10-08-2004, 07:09 AM
what's with the hypocracy?
i'll forgive you, if you'll forgive me...

edit: nervermind you're still an idiot

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 08:02 AM
i'll forgive you, if you'll forgive me...

edit: nervermind you're still an idiot

jesus.....you look and act like my sister.......

rumbles
10-08-2004, 08:12 AM

hey man dont go bringing him into it, i know this argument needs sorting out once and for all but i think we can do it ourselves!

and its not very nice to tell the lord he acts like a little girl.

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 08:19 AM
hey man dont go bringing him into it, i know this argument needs sorting out once and for all but i think we can do it ourselves!

.....the fuck are you talking about?

Johanna
10-08-2004, 08:28 AM

aaaahahahahahahha!!!

.....the fuck are you talking about?
i love it when they don't get it...

Johanna
10-08-2004, 08:29 AM
you don't know what i look like...

rumbles
10-08-2004, 08:32 AM
aaaahahahahahahha!!!

i love it when they don't get it...

Makes it even funnier! ;)

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 08:36 AM
yeah.....
"jesus"......"look and act like my sister"

hilarious.....
you guys should go on tour with that one.....

take a bow.

you should throw in another sasquatch referance.....that would be really funny.

loves_sasquatch: then why do you have a pic of someone else in your Personal Info..? wierdo.

Johanna
10-08-2004, 08:38 AM
yeah.....

hilarious.....

take a bow.

loves_sasquatch: then why do you have a pic of someone else in your Personal Info..? wierdo.
wow, he got the joke 10 minutes earlier than i expected!

rumbles
10-08-2004, 08:40 AM
yeah.....

hilarious.....

take a bow.

woh! looks like we touched a nerve there 'loves_sasquatch'

Qdrop's got to go and pick up his dumey that he spat out now!

Chiil Q, we're just messin! (y)

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 08:44 AM
woh! looks like we touched a nerve there 'loves_sasquatch'

Qdrop's got to go and pick up his dumey that he spat out now!

Chiil Q, we're just messin! (y)

"dumey"??

man...you guys speak in tongues.

rumbles: i can handle it....i'm a big boy.

rumbles
10-08-2004, 08:47 AM
"dumey"??

good lad!

Johanna
10-08-2004, 08:53 AM
"dumey"??

do you wake up angry?
cheer up, man! :)

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 09:06 AM
good lad!

hee hee.......you said "lad".

now THAT is pretty cool.

you brits.... ;)

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 09:07 AM
do you wake up anry?

oh...i'm fine. this is my usual cheerful self.

and yes.....i often wake up anry........whatever that is.

just joshing you......lass.
;)

rumbles
10-08-2004, 09:09 AM

;)

'lass' i see what you've done there, very clever! buddy!!

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 09:12 AM
'lass' i see what you've done there, very clever! buddy!!

*takes bow*

rumbles
10-08-2004, 09:14 AM
*takes bow*

..on the english language thing, do the boys sing "thats mezmorizing, tantalising, captivating and devastating" in a bad english accent!?! sounds like it to me!?

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 09:20 AM
..on the english language thing, do the boys sing "thats mezmorizing, tantalising, captivating and devastating" in a bad english accent!?! sounds like it to me!?

i think he uses 4 differnat accents for each of the words.....
but not being british....i have no idea....sounds good to me.

i must say, nothing is hotter then a female with a british accent...

ooohhh yeah.

it just sounds so....proper..yet, naughty.
:D

rumbles
10-08-2004, 09:24 AM
i think he uses 4 differnat accents for each of the words.....
but not being british....i have no idea....sounds good to me.

i must say, nothing is hotter then a female with a british accent...

ooohhh yeah.

it just sounds so....proper..yet, naughty.
:D3

must admit i like it too, you want a husky posh london accent they're the best! Irish is good too!

not sure about the american accent, maybe a NY accent - "cup of cwofee"

or texan - " he ya'll" !?!! :confused:

nicolajames1981
10-08-2004, 09:40 AM
How about banning Busted? Now they are offensive and they have come out as Tories. Maybe the Beasties could have a word over that...

I absolutely agree with you on that. Busted make me wanna cut my ears off.

Also, another good British swear word is "wanker".

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 10:57 AM
GAYLORDS!!!!

(y)

rumbles
10-08-2004, 10:59 AM
GAYLORDS!!!!

no need to shout, jees!!

did you mean busted!?! or have you got tourets syndorme (excuse spelling if incorrect!)

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
dude...she said "gaylords".....isn't it obvious?

i actually have no idea what she means either...but anytime someone yells "Gaylords"...they're A-oK in my book.

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 11:10 AM
jesus....could your sig be any bigger?

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 11:15 AM
you are a funny girl...

see, now i don't mind thinking about your vagina.

must be a rochester thing.

i0ta
10-08-2004, 12:01 PM
back to the topic … and in my humble opinion…..

no one is wrong in this situation

freedom of speech by definition is the right to express information, ideas, and opinions free of any restriction

the beasite boys had every right to request the prodigy not play this song, just as the prodigy had every right to play it

those who are saying that the boys were wrong in their actions, are essentially prohibiting them from doing the very thing you are defending the prodigy for …… expressing themselves freely

censorship can only really occur when someone's opinions/beliefs/or songs are unwillingly being controlled, suppressed and/or edited by another; the prodigy was given a choice

one love

Johanna
10-08-2004, 12:16 PM

;)
i gave you a chance...welcome to my ignore list, asshole

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 12:22 PM
must be something in the water...Lake ontario perhaps...

genesse river....

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 12:23 PM
i gave you a chance...welcome to my ignore list, asshole

SEE?!...NOW i'm crying....thanks....*sob* thanks ALOT..*sob*

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 12:26 PM
back to the topic … and in my humble opinion…..
censorship can only really occur when someone's opinions/beliefs/or songs are unwillingly being controlled, suppressed and/or edited by another; the prodigy was given a choice

one love

like if the crowd at Reading was not allowed to hear smbu, because the beastie boys wanted to "protect" some people's feelings?

sounds like the crowds rights would have been surpressed then.......

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Genesee Brewing...

Worst beer EVER!!.

genny light causes instantaneous bowel movements......

i0ta
10-08-2004, 12:57 PM
when the creator of an idea, opinion, or in this case, a song, freely decides not to share it, how does that oppress anyone? should the crowd decide what an artist should or shouldn't play? .. isn't that up to the person(s) who created it in the first place?

would feel oppressed when the beastie boys don't play girls at one of their shows?

Qdrop
10-08-2004, 01:06 PM
The thing is, Qdrop probably would... he's waiting for them to play FFYR. Lemming... (Okay, is that more at your pace, Qdrop? I'm doing my best here...)

man, wints....you love me.
you've been following me around all week.

get off my jock.

Michael K
10-08-2004, 02:09 PM
those who are saying that the boys were wrong in their actions, are essentially prohibiting them from doing the very thing you are defending the prodigy for …… expressing themselves freely

one love

That's it right there. The Beastie Boys did what they thought was right and so did Prodigy. They both had a choice and they both made one.

There was no censorship since there was a choice. Not by the audience but by the performer. I understand censorship as the forced control of ideas which isn't the case here.

Elusive
10-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I'll be right back I forgot to smack my bitch up.

cosmo105
10-09-2004, 12:05 AM
INTERNET!!

cj hood
10-09-2004, 01:28 PM
i more offended when the beasties change their lyrics (pimpin' to shrimpin') then i am with this prodigy shit......anyone who does what song lyrics say is an idiot.....changing song lyrics won't help this kind of person.........

Odie
10-10-2004, 02:09 AM
The argument is not about words having some kind of mystical effect on a persons actions, it's about whether or not it's message is contemptful or factually incorrect and misinforming, ie promotes sexism. I find it weird that liberals tolerate sexism in music, hiphop, pop or whatever, but why is it that different to anti semitism and racism?

balohna
10-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Music does influence people. If Britney Spears said it was cool to strip for money on the side as a young girl, young girls would do it. If Snoop Dogg said it was cool to tell your parents to go fuck themselves, kids would tell their parents to go fuck themselves. I've been listening to the Beastie Boys for about 6 years now and they have positively influenced me. Song For the Man has made me think differently from other 16 year olds. While my peers are rating girls out of 10 I'm thinking about how someone given a low score would feel if they found out some loser thought they were a 4. If the Beastie Boys didn't speak out agains this type of thing I probably wouldn't give a shit.

Gabriely
10-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Music does influence people. If Britney Spears said it was cool to strip for money on the side as a young girl, young girls would do it. If Snoop Dogg said it was cool to tell your parents to go fuck themselves, kids would tell their parents to go fuck themselves. I've been listening to the Beastie Boys for about 6 years now and they have positively influenced me. Song For the Man has made me think differently from other 16 year olds. While my peers are rating girls out of 10 I'm thinking about how someone given a low score would feel if they found out some loser thought they were a 4. If the Beastie Boys didn't speak out agains this type of thing I probably wouldn't give a shit.omg...so sweet

Rocks So Well
10-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Ya' know, I once had a letter published in SPIN magazine defending the Beastie Boys..... It had Fred Durst on the cover.....back when Hello Nasty came out. I was filled with pride. (y)

Eryta
10-10-2004, 11:36 AM
how rude! :eek: no one disses the Beasties! :cool: they rock! :D

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Music does influence people. If Britney Spears said it was cool to strip for money on the side as a young girl, young girls would do it. If Snoop Dogg said it was cool to tell your parents to go fuck themselves, kids would tell their parents to go fuck themselves. I've been listening to the Beastie Boys for about 6 years now and they have positively influenced me. Song For the Man has made me think differently from other 16 year olds. While my peers are rating girls out of 10 I'm thinking about how someone given a low score would feel if they found out some loser thought they were a 4. If the Beastie Boys didn't speak out agains this type of thing I probably wouldn't give a shit.

you have GOT to be kidding me. ....

what about the PARENTS!! HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

i disagree with virtually everything you said there...
i'll go into detail if you wish...

but PC, liberal, hippies always get it wrong....

and i'm sure the women would rate you a 3.....

kidding.

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 06:28 AM
As a woman,

wints, you're a woman?

ahh......much clearer now. ;)

Gabriely
10-11-2004, 06:29 AM
wints, you're a woman?

ahh......much clearer now. ;)what do u mean? :mad:

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 06:36 AM
what do u mean? :mad:

nothing personal, my dear....

wints was becoming highly irrate and combative last week with me......
but i'm starting to to see why.....

women just hate me on the internet.....

but you seem very sweet.....

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 07:12 AM
I dont hate you...i dont know you.

true dat.....

but that's because you're form Rochester and understand the true source of our cynical negativety......the Rochester weather.

Rochestarians get Rochestarians.......everyone else hates us....and our accents.

Gabriely
10-11-2004, 07:14 AM
true dat.....

but that's because you're form Rochester and understand the true source of our cynical negativety......the Rochester weather.

Rochestarians get Rochestarians.......everyone else hates us....and our accents.i donn hate you

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 07:17 AM
:eek:

We have accents?? :confused:

i know, right?.....i didn't realize this until i moved to Baltimore for 2 years...and people couldn't get over it.....
they said it was worse than a NYC accent.

and Buffalo cats and others all seem to agree that we sound bizarre.
apparently in the way we say the vowel "A"........

i've acually been down state and people call me out as being from Rochester....

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Actually...I have gotten compliments on my accent. You must be uber retarded then :D

*knife to the heart*

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 07:29 AM
You love me... :cool:

yeah......don't tell my girlfriend...

who are those people in your avatar?

Dustbrother
10-11-2004, 08:41 AM
never heard of it... but i think the same way like adam said in the post.
i would do the same... absolutely !

Boogiefish
10-11-2004, 02:40 PM
New member***1st post***Flame on! :D

The Beastie Boys were right to do what they believed in and Prodigy was right to do what they believed in as well (By that I mean playing their song anyway). There isn't anything wrong with the Beastie Boys asking a question like that. If people don't communicate nothing will ever get done and there is no "right" answer. We're talking about the way people feel here. From what I've read and heard I would consider the latter actions Prodigy took to be largely immature (and I know I don't have the whole story!). If my fav band asked me not to play a song for any reason I would at least listen to their logic. I might not agree but I certainly would not have thrown my "sucker in the sand" as Liam seemingly did. No one was telling him what to do and if he truly had any respect for the Boys and their opinion he would not have reacted as he did.

Anyone who thinks the entertainment industry (in general) doesn't affect people and how they act is living in a dream world. It doesn't happen to everyone but a great many are very much swayed by lyrics, action, fashion, and lifestyle of entertainers. Just look at any older adolescent or younger teenager, (hell I know some "adults" that are worse than the kids!). Entertainers are their heros and all kids try to emulate them. Some misguided kids go too far because they don't understand that perception is not reality! If you don't believe this then get yourself a fan and strobelight. Go into a dark room, turn the fan and the strobelight on, and look at the fan. Perception tells you it's not moving and hence not dangerous. Now... stick you fingers in the fan. Yeah... perception is what hurt you; the reality was there the whole time. Kids can (and will) take everything they hear and perceive very literally. That being said, it is up to the entertainer to decide what is acceptable to them and up to their peers to challenge their thinking as well as society's standards. Both bands did that. Parents should be monitoring what the kids are listening to/watching but most parents are not GREAT parents and there are an awful lot of really bad ones out there. The best way to keep a kid out of any kind of trouble is to educate him. Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds hate. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the paths those emotions can take you down.

The new album rocks me and I really couldn't care less who else likes it. I want it to be successful because I'm selfish and want more from the Beastie Boys! I've been a fan of the Beastie Boys for years but never saw them live. I was going to see them on their last tour when it was cancelled :eek:! I have been feverishly hoping there would be another. I have my tix for the Tampa show and nothing Liam or anyone else says can change that!

Qdrop
10-11-2004, 02:51 PM
this thread will never fucking die.....

it's the fuckin Energizer battery......

there is nothing else to say....

we are just repeating....

let it go ....

let it go......

blAHchYd
10-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Maybe some of you have heard of Neo-Nazi music before?
Some people listen and are offended, some people align themselves with the "artist" who sings the hate-themed anthems and others do all they can to stop that kind of shit.

I am personally against this kind of music. I'd ask ANYONE who played that shit to not play it.

I'd be called right
and

I'd be called wrong.

Space
10-12-2004, 09:00 PM
true true,

if someone is impressionable and looks up to the band...

your lyrics impressed me. (no regrets)

"i dont see things quite the same as i used to"

*from brass monkey to boycotting china.

disrespecting women has got to be to thru

mrassbonkey
10-13-2004, 05:20 AM
I normally just read these posts and am a new member but a way old school fan (back in the 80's with Cookie Puss and She's on it).
I'm writing my first one. For what that's worth. Stick with the basics: Prodigy is pretty soft and more of a gimic. Yauch was correct in speaking his mind and so was the idiot that wrote the song S.M.B.U. We all should value our own and others freedom of speech etc. Fire Starter was ok but other than that what have they done. Vapid synth b.s. Don't get caught up in the opinions of an idiot.

P.S. Yauch, if you read this, be very aware you rocked the garden last week. Thanks to all of you and MMM for lots of fun.

P.S.S. Great dog show. Only you guys can pull off that stuff.

Flowside
10-13-2004, 11:35 AM
I don't know how Smack My Bitch Up promotes violence on women. Even in the video, at the end you see the one that's beating everyone else up IS a woman. Also, it's pretty low to assume that the "bitch" in the song refers only to women. I think anyone can be a bitch, and therefore anyone could be smacked up.

Marijayadro
10-13-2004, 04:23 PM
to say the beasties suck, you gotta be stupid and you gotta have lack of creativity. didn't you listen to yo mama when she said try somethin new?

sXe Boogaloo
10-13-2004, 06:15 PM
wow, i don't know what to say about this thread. i mean, i do see both sides to this story and it's not my place to say who is right and who is wrong. all i can say is that this thread reminds me of a quote i read. it helped me shed some light on things so i'll share it with you and hopefully it will shed some positive light on this matter. it goes something like this:

"A great deal of our suffering comes from having too many thoughts. And, at the same time, the way we think is not sane. We are only concerned by our immediate satisfaction and forget to measure its long-term advantages and disadvantages, either for ourselves or for others. But such an attitude always goes against us in the end. There is no doubt that by changing our way of seeing things we could reduce our current difficulties and avoid creating new ones."

so you see, to me it not a matter of who is right and who is in the wrong. it's about mistakes we make and how we learn cope and change them because we are only human beings who strive for answers to gain perfection. we will never gain anything but hate and anger for ourselves and our peers if we choose to loop in a circle because we continue find fault and dwell on it. and life it to short and precious to do so. it's best to identify the problem; learn from it and move on. and by doing so, we grow wise mentally and spiritually. but that's just me.

anyway, i hope that helps a lil bit.

much love to you all
peace

James Jupiter
10-14-2004, 06:14 AM
Don't get caught up in the opinions of an idiot.
That is why I wasn't bothered by what you posted. ;)

David H
10-15-2004, 06:45 AM
By making a cheap comment about the Beastie Boys new album makes Liam Howlett an Idiot. Especially seeing as he hasnt managed to be creative enough to make an album in the last 7 years!

But by playing smack my b*tch up at Reading as if he were acting in defiance of what he perceived as censorship from the Beastie Boys makes him a hypocrite as well.

In 1997, when the Prodigy released the album 'Fat of the Land', containing that song, K-Mart refused to sell it on the grounds that the lyrics were "offensive". Almost over night the Prodigy issued a cleaned-up version of the song and thus ensured the album was sold in the lucrative US market.

It's funny how Howlett's views on censorship dont apply when money is involved!

James Jupiter
10-15-2004, 10:14 AM
By making a cheap comment about the Beastie Boys new album makes Liam Howlett an Idiot. Especially seeing as he hasnt managed to be creative enough to make an album in the last 7 years!

But by playing smack my b*tch up at Reading as if he were acting in defiance of what he perceived as censorship from the Beastie Boys makes him a hypocrite as well.

In 1997, when the Prodigy released the album 'Fat of the Land', containing that song, K-Mart refused to sell it on the grounds that the lyrics were "offensive". Almost over night the Prodigy issued a cleaned-up version of the song and thus ensured the album was sold in the lucrative US market.

It's funny how Howlett's views on censorship dont apply when money is involved!
From reading your post I concluded that you know very little about Liam Howlett. I do know a lot about The Prodigy/Liam Howlett. I could go into great detail pointing out all the inaccuracies in what you have posted but what would be the point? I'm sure you wouldn't be interested and it wouldn't change your views.

Newsflash - People are allowed to like more than one band/artist (this may come as a surprise to some people here). You don't have to agree with everything your favourite band/artist say.

Just to point out again what Liam said recently: -

"i would like to set the record straight about this 'beastie boys nonsense'

it seems that some journalists are enjoying sensationalising some things i am supposed to have said.i have no wish to carry on any dissagreements i may have had about the smbu issue from reading.people know my stance and it is still the same as it was then.

i recently was asked about their new album in an american interview and as with most of my interviews they are in my usual humour.i said that i had respect for their rhymes but i thought they needed me to make their beats doper as i didnt think they were as dope as they should be!!

really i dont give a shit- so there u go.

long live smbu!

LH"

dave790
10-16-2004, 12:12 PM
I posted in this thread saying at the star i thought beasties were in the wrong. having read it all my view has changed, and also i think it was really good of yauch to put his points across and make this thread even more a decent discussion.

i was there at Raeding 98, so Yauch if you come across this firstly thanks for putting on an awesome show. that nite you made an 8 year old very ahhpy indeed. i was by no means supporting what the prodigy were saying (maxin mainly) bout you guys in their set. it was kinda immature and they seemed determined to make a big thing out of it, which especially sucks as you guys were just discussing dropping the song with them (rather ploitely by the sounds of things).

smack my bitch up isn't even the Prodigys phrase by the way, its taken from ultramagnetic mc's. while it is offensive (my mum saw the video...what a response) its not really the point of the song. well to me anyway i just love those beats! i'm a afan of both groups, i'll never love the prodigy as much as the beastie but i have been into them for a long time (prodigy).

so yeah basically i don't think you where in the wrong, and i agree with everything you've said..so i take back my earlier comment.from the prodigys point of view though they are excellent live and that song is something alot of fans want to see live...i mean if they had dropped it fans woulda all been like 'i was gettin ready to go mental to smack my bitch up and they never played...oh the beasties are on forget that rubbish!'

dave

etae
10-18-2004, 01:32 PM

right, there are jerks who take it seriously, and it's not cool to support that kind of shit. Beastie Boys were more than right.

j-dog
10-26-2004, 06:46 AM

let it go ....

let it go......

yes. please do.

brmanuk
10-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted but I can't be bothered to read this entire thread. Anyway but I found this at the prodigys website-

07/10/2004 - posted by liam
i would like to set the record straight about this 'beastie boys nonsense'

it seems that some journalists are enjoying sensationalising some things i am supposed to have said.i have no wish to carry on any dissagreements i may have had about the smbu issue from reading.people know my stance and it is still the same as it was then.

really i dont give a shit- so there u go.

long live smbu!

LH

j-dog
10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
yes, it has been said.
NOW PLEASE LET THIS THREAD GO IN PEACE.

thegoat2002blue
11-02-2004, 05:46 PM
undefinedundefinedHowlett was probably worried about ticket sales for his gig in Manchester in December, The Beasties are playin the same night. Our boys are playing Manchesters premier central arena whereas Howlett's Prodigy are stuck in the sticks in the 3.000 capacity Ardwick Apollo - jealous as, I'd say! By the way, will the Beasties be doin' anything promotionalwise in Manchester in December prior to the gig, does anyone know??

James Jupiter
11-06-2004, 08:47 AM
undefinedundefinedHowlett was probably worried about ticket sales for his gig in Manchester in December, The Beasties are playin the same night. Our boys are playing Manchesters premier central arena whereas Howlett's Prodigy are stuck in the sticks in the 3.000 capacity Ardwick Apollo - jealous as, I'd say! By the way, will the Beasties be doin' anything promotionalwise in Manchester in December prior to the gig, does anyone know??
Yeah, I bet Liam is really worried considering The Prodigy gig sold out in a day. I was surprised to see that The Beastie Boys Manchester gig still has tickets available. If you knew anything about The Prodigy you would know that they play smaller venues on purpose. They don't like playing arenas. They would rather do three nights in a 3000 capacity venue than one night in a stadium where they look like ants to the people at the back.

thegoat2002blue
11-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey, come on Fella, the only reason the Prodigy sold out their gigs at the Apollo was cos every ticket tout in Manchester though they were gonna make a killing - check out eBay and see how many are on there! Any one can sell out the Apollo, these days, even Joss Stone, who in keeping with the Prodigy, has also released a crap album this year!!

Nox_e
11-08-2004, 04:51 PM
wints is a gay boy

yellie
11-09-2004, 12:28 AM

let it go ....

let it go......

hey punk...fancy meeting you here...get bored with g-net?! ;)

James Jupiter
11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey, come on Fella, the only reason the Prodigy sold out their gigs at the Apollo was cos every ticket tout in Manchester though they were gonna make a killing - check out eBay and see how many are on there! Any one can sell out the Apollo, these days, even Joss Stone, who in keeping with the Prodigy, has also released a crap album this year!!
It would seem I can't reason with anyone here.

Let's agree to disagree.

Instead of dissing The Prodigy concentrate on enjoying The Beastie Boys music. I will continue to like the music of both The Prodigy and The Beastie Boys.

Time for everyone to let this topic rest in peace.

OCC
12-29-2004, 10:59 PM
this is a joke, innit? takin out a track because u think it's sooo bad...the title is smack my bitch up, and u wanted a different version of it..smack my ketchup..(something like that)..sorry, how ridiculous is that?? yauch, the way u think is pussy like.."because it promoted violence against women"..so what about all the nwa, ice cube, wc, mack 10, mc eiht (etc) tracks?? would u like to ban all these songs just because u think its meaning is too rude mr.yauch
and sorry, the 2nd story about the girl is very naive. this song has nothing to do with her bad experiences. prodigy were fuckin right, i'd never let anybody to change my songs...and liam is right, your new album is garbage. i was a beastie boys fan for many years but u guys disappointed so much with the new album i couldn't believe how bad it is. very bad production, boring, cheap mastering, way too short, lame ideas. each former album was 100 times better. and u know it. but that's how it sounds without mario c. he's a genius. u guys were untouchable till and including the marvellous hello nasty album, but after that one..no more..
DUDE WHY ARE U STILL LOOKIN AT THIS SITE IF YA NOT INTO EM ANYMORE, ONCE A LOVER ALWAYS A LOVER,MOVE FORWARD DON'T KEEP LOOKIN BEHIND!!!!!!
MIX MASTER YA GOT IT HAPPENING.......

subtitles
01-06-2005, 04:46 PM
i think the prodigy quote from Reading '98 goes something like "we got a call from the beasties the other day day asking not to play one of our dongs....well we do what the fuck we want!"

which is fair enough because the beasties WERE in the wrong.

I read somewhere that Liam Howlett refuses to play big venues (like in manchester) bacause its not what the prodigy are about and loses what what they were about or something, im guessing thats why they did 2 nights at manchester apollo and not 1 night at the Manchester evening news arena.

personally i think the new prodigy album is fuckin brilliant! but thats my opinion.

prodigy alubm got to number 1 in the UK, but didnt in the US. i read somewhere that liam howlett dissed the record label(different from prodigy's UK label) saying they didnt promote the album AT ALL and he'd sell more albums out the back of his car. think hes ditching the US label now and going back onto an indie label to keep it reaaaaal.

Qdrop
01-07-2005, 12:48 PM
hey punk...fancy meeting you here...get bored with g-net?! ;)
yes......i did.

djeoinc
10-08-2005, 04:03 PM
hi yauch i enjoyed all your albums and i enjoyed your last one it highly influenced me i guess ye were really movin with the times
i've listen to dance a produced dance for the last 8 years now im getting out of it back in to hiphop hiphop has allways been my first choice going back to my roots but everyone intitled to there own opions its like with some things if stick your nose in your going to get burnt i try to be straight with people like i got into fights over other peoples problems
somethings are best left alone

voltanapricot
10-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Prodigy is just a bad John Lydon knock-off. Similar sounding voice, same style of singing, same haircuts...yeah, only one please. I'll take Lydon.
You've obviously not heard their latest album. :rolleyes:

Slick Joe
10-10-2005, 08:15 AM
The Beasties had every right in the world to ask Prodigy not to play it, and Prodigy had every right in the world to play it anyways. Freedom of Speech works both ways.

Parkey
10-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Prodigy release a greatest hits (http://www.xlrecordings.com/broadcast/~voodoo/), then the Beasties announce one too...

dave790
10-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Prodigy release a greatest hits (http://www.xlrecordings.com/broadcast/~voodoo/), then the Beasties announce one too...

is that actually out yet? it's on my list...

I thought that same thing by the way, but i wouldn't read too much into it, if you seriously are that is :rolleyes: i'm quite pleased with the prodigy one, at lreast there's a disc with b-sides/new tracks/live shit ect eh?!

Princess1987
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Who the Hell is he dissing the Beastieboys, they are the best . I don't care what anybody says the Beasties will always be the best. (!)

boys_beastie
10-12-2005, 11:53 AM
you cant deny that the prodigy made great music with keith flint. i dont care what happens outside of the music, and none of you should either. its not like its our business. either listen to it and enjoy it, or dont listen to it. but dont try and get involved in their argument which, might i add, happened years ago.

dave790
10-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Lollapalooza
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes this episode found in the Uk festival in 1998 :-) Adrock Dissies eX pRODIGY :eek:

theo512
07-21-2009, 07:41 AM
i was at that reading and saw prod say we say what the fuck we like, beasties got the biggest cheer though.

SoundScientist
08-05-2009, 10:59 AM

I remember reading about this ages ago. Nice to actually hear it from 'the horses mouth'. Prodigy is good shit, but I always loved that you guys don't shy away from making your opinions known. Something needed to be said. It's a good song (read: catchy) but the lyrics are still just...wrong.

Keep doing what you're doing Yauch.

PS: I got a full refund for my Oshega tickets (both nights). I was so sad to hear you couldn't make it, and my ride was bummed out and wouldn't drive me to Montreal. I hope your doing well man. That email this morning brought a huge smile to my face. You'll be fine man. Can't wait to hear the new album. I'll see you righteous dudes next time you're in Toronto.
Last year at the Hummingbird Centre was fucking dope (ACC was good too but Hummingbird fucking killed it). Thanks for convincing Adam and Mike to play those last few extra punk tracks at the end of the set dude.
You rock. I'll never forget that show.
Stay classy. Kick cancers ass. Peace

Funky Pepp
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I didn't read all the post and I don't want to take a side. I just looked up the line "smack my bitch up" in the world's best online-dictionary and found this article about it:
"It is a phrase from the greater london area and can be read only as a whole. The single words mean:
smack = to inject heroin
bitch = the upper arm vein"
I am really not sure if the Prodigy really meant that. And I hated the video straight away, because I hate videos with puking people and I never really likes the Prodigy anyway. But I like the song.

Good day :)

Knuckles
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Hey, Bob.

ericlee
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
PS: I got a full refund for my Oshega tickets (both nights). I was so sad to hear you couldn't make it, and my ride was bummed out and wouldn't drive me to Montreal. I hope your doing well man. That email this morning brought a huge smile to my face. You'll be fine man. Can't wait to hear the new album. I'll see you righteous dudes next time you're in Toronto.
Last year at the Hummingbird Centre was fucking dope (ACC was good too but Hummingbird fucking killed it). Thanks for convincing Adam and Mike to play those last few extra punk tracks at the end of the set dude.
You rock. I'll never forget that show.
Stay classy. Kick cancers ass. Peace

STFU! this is a thread about dissin' and smackin' bitches up. Take that crap to MCA's cancer thread.

rirv
12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
It's Kool Keith we should be getting angry with here.

Echewta
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I like turtles.

ericlee
12-19-2009, 01:12 AM
I like turtles.

I diss turtles.

rirv
03-01-2010, 05:18 PM
This thread needs bumping.

Freebasser
03-01-2010, 07:44 PM
He dissed them again?

Guy Incognito
03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
No, i think they have patched it all up and started making music together (cough) (http://www.beastiemixes.com/download.php?id=2800&chk=lvce)

jennyb
03-07-2010, 01:34 AM
This thread smells like ballz. Just sayin'.

b i o n i c
03-08-2010, 03:02 AM
i was gonna say mothballs, but yeah ;)(y)

mister jason
05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
i am a huge beastie fan, but they were wrong. this has nothing to do with musical taste, personally i think prodigy sucks, my opinion comes from the fact that, the beasties boys were very hypocrital. i know the boys have transformed over the years and are more conscious, but do you think if some band or madonna (when they opened for her) told them they catn perform "girls?"...that song is way more offensive than "smack my b--- up"...that takse me to my second point. the beasties, of all peolple, should know that is a sample from ultramagnetic mc's, one of the most creative, funky, unique hip hop groups of all time. did you diss kook keith back in '88? you're telling me yauch, you interpret all rappers to actaully do what they say and it is all true? did you actually shoot a man in brooklyn just to watch him die? damn, how did you not get caught? i am still a hardcore beastie head but never understood that issue with prodigy. btw, kool g rap would be in jail for murdering about 3000 dudes and i believe he still walks the streets a free man

JoLovesMCA
05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Yeah but why keep bringing the past up. Had this taken place in 88 then yeah okay I can see the hypocrite thing but it didn't. This happened at a point of their career they were more conscious of who they were as a band and how their actions affect people.

Any way I can't understand how their rights were violated. Sure if some folks think it was wrong to ask them not to play the song then fine but taking it this far with violating rights is a bit much. I mean come on lol. That would happen if the BB's were given the authority to keep the song being played indefinitely or taking the band off of the list of performers and last I checked the BB's don't work for the government. Did any of that happen? No. They still went on and played that song as they always have with the knowledge that the BB's didn't approve of it. Big deal! Plus I am sure there are many establishments who wouldn't play both BB's or Prodigy music so does that mean both bands need to file complaints because their music isn't being played?

If anything the fans should have appreciated the fact that they follow a band who hates violence against women. (y)

Mil Mascaras
07-17-2010, 10:52 PM
If anything the fans should have appreciated the fact that they follow a band who hates violence against women. (y)Being beat down builds character. The Beasties were on the wrong side of this issue.

kingcrimson024
07-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I find it interesting when the Beastie Boys project themselves as moralists, yet openly disrespect Jesus Christ and any form of Bible related morality. I do not mean to start a theological debate, however to argue what is right and wrong from your own world view and expect it to be the medium for all humans is hypocritical at best. Morals without God is empty and meaningless, and never brings about truth or enlightenment for that matter. If the Beastie Boys want to do what is right, then they should just do it, rather than waste energy removing a speck from the eye of another man when they too are just as lost as the next. Free Tibet? How about the fact that people in China,India, and the Middle East TODAY are killed for believing in Christ? Man is responsible for his own actions and thoughts, don't rebuttal this statement with examples of horrific things that men have done in the name of God, please dig a little bit deeper than that. I love the beasties, so please don't think I'm just spraying nonsense here, its just an observation based on morals and the post modern worlds lack of "telos" (Purpose of existence).

JoLovesMCA
08-01-2010, 02:14 AM
I find it interesting when the Beastie Boys project themselves as moralists, yet openly disrespect Jesus Christ and any form of Bible related morality. I do not mean to start a theological debate, however to argue what is right and wrong from your own world view and expect it to be the medium for all humans is hypocritical at best. Morals without God is empty and meaningless, and never brings about truth or enlightenment for that matter. If the Beastie Boys want to do what is right, then they should just do it, rather than waste energy removing a speck from the eye of another man when they too are just as lost as the next. Free Tibet? How about the fact that people in China,India, and the Middle East TODAY are killed for believing in Christ? Man is responsible for his own actions and thoughts, don't rebuttal this statement with examples of horrific things that men have done in the name of God, please dig a little bit deeper than that. I love the beasties, so please don't think I'm just spraying nonsense here, its just an observation based on morals and the post modern worlds lack of "telos" (Purpose of existence).

Well I can't argue with you there. Would be a good question to ask them I guess why is the defense for Tibet so different compared to helping Christians who were persecuted. I mean the BB's aren't perfect anyway, they might be questioning and searching things out themselves. Anyway good points you made. (y)

yeahwho
08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I find it interesting when the Beastie Boys project themselves as moralists, yet openly disrespect Jesus Christ and any form of Bible related morality. I do not mean to start a theological debate, however to argue what is right and wrong from your own world view and expect it to be the medium for all humans is hypocritical at best. Morals without God is empty and meaningless, and never brings about truth or enlightenment for that matter (Purpose of existence).

You set the criteria for a higher power. A man made decision of judgment on your own man made belief system.

I disagree that morals without (your conception of god) are empty and meaningless. Truth and enlightenment are all around those who choose to seek truth and enlightenment.

You've made a judgment call based on Bible related morality. That would be considered hypocritical at best by well over a few billion earthlings who also believe in a power greater than themselves.

Live and Let Live.

kingcrimson024
08-12-2010, 08:28 PM
You set the criteria for a higher power. A man made decision of judgment on your own man made belief system.

I disagree that morals without (your conception of god) are empty and meaningless. Truth and enlightenment are all around those who choose to seek truth and enlightenment.

You've made a judgment call based on Bible related morality. That would be considered hypocritical at best by well over a few billion earthlings who also believe in a power greater than themselves.

Live and Let Live.

I do not buy into the post modern illusion that truth is relative and not absolute. Morals based on the assumptions and criteria of each individual and how they perceive it is fundamentally flawed. By that method you are setting the foundation on inevitable hypocrisy. You claim that my beliefs are man made, and that is insulting. However, this life as human beings is a gift with a purpose and meaning. Each soul is not without intrinsic value. To make gross accusations that the Prophets and Christ are fabrications conjured by men is wildly inaccurate and ignorant of historical and spiritual truth. Your right about there being billions of humans who reject it, the path to salvation is narrow but the path to wickedness is wide. I pray that all will come to him, especially those who hate what he has to say. The truth will set you free. "The stone which the builders rejected, This became the chief corner stone;...."

yeahwho
08-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Your judgment of others is man made, that is the crux. You've posted on here your beliefs and that they are the only way.

You make me want to run from whatever version of Christ you are selling.

What you know about anyone here on this board is a preconceived notion. Yet you've decided to chide and judge with a dogma that actually hinders your intended result, to have folks become enlightened through the Bible.

Smite away. Seems like that is your favorite part of Christianity. Unless you have some other sort of form to attract people to your beliefs how the fuck are you going to ever achieve the goal God wants?

Being kind is not a character defect, a loving God would see that as an asset. You made a judgment and I made a judgment back. Man made both of them. If you think God is speaking through you and not me then perhaps you've judged billions of others too, on a daily basis.

kingcrimson024
08-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Your judgment of others is man made, that is the crux. You've posted on here your beliefs and that they are the only way.

What you know about anyone here on this board is a preconceived notion. Yet you've decided to chide and judge with a dogma that actually hinders your intended result, to have folks become enlightened through the Bible.

Smite away. Seems like that is your favorite part of Christianity. Unless you have some other sort of form to attract people to your beliefs how the fuck are you going to ever achieve the goal God wants?

Being kind is not a character defect, a loving God would see that as an asset. You made a judgment and I made a judgment back. Man made both of them. If you think God is speaking through you and not me then perhaps you've judged billions of others too, on a daily basis.

This is the same old argument once again. When anybody mentions the Prophets or Christ the immediate response is "stop judging". I didn't even say anything about judging, and why would I when I'm just as lost as the next man. All I speak of is the word of God and not my words, so please stop judging me. I can not pretend that the scriptures are lies written been men as easily as you my friend. You can not play the role of the moralist with out running into the source, eventually it is inevitable, for through Adam we all surely die. I never said my teachings are the only way, those words come from Christ. He is the truth and the light.

yeahwho
08-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I would like to ride around town on a bicycle built for two with you. We can wear straw hats and sing songs as we peddle away down the street our merry way, greeting people with biblical stories wearing our pin stripe shirts with bicycle knickers on.

Perhaps someone will offer us some freshly baked apple pie and lemonade.

kingcrimson024
08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
I would like to ride around town on a bicycle built for two with you. We can wear straw hats and sing songs as we peddle away down the street our merry way, greeting people with biblical stories wearing our pin stripe shirts with bicycle knickers on.

You read my mind. haha nice....

Freebasser
09-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Change my pitch up. Bump my thread up.

jabumbo
09-24-2010, 09:48 PM
i can't believe dude still holds a grudge :eek:

Dorothy Wood
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I do not buy into the post modern illusion that truth is relative and not absolute. Morals based on the assumptions and criteria of each individual and how they perceive it is fundamentally flawed. By that method you are setting the foundation on inevitable hypocrisy. You claim that my beliefs are man made, and that is insulting. However, this life as human beings is a gift with a purpose and meaning. Each soul is not without intrinsic value. To make gross accusations that the Prophets and Christ are fabrications conjured by men is wildly inaccurate and ignorant of historical and spiritual truth. Your right about there being billions of humans who reject it, the path to salvation is narrow but the path to wickedness is wide. I pray that all will come to him, especially those who hate what he has to say. The truth will set you free. "The stone which the builders rejected, This became the chief corner stone;...."

This is the same old argument once again. When anybody mentions the Prophets or Christ the immediate response is "stop judging". I didn't even say anything about judging, and why would I when I'm just as lost as the next man. All I speak of is the word of God and not my words, so please stop judging me. I can not pretend that the scriptures are lies written been men as easily as you my friend. You can not play the role of the moralist with out running into the source, eventually it is inevitable, for through Adam we all surely die. I never said my teachings are the only way, those words come from Christ. He is the truth and the light.

You read my mind. haha nice....

(y)

also, just wanted to mention that the beastie boys are jews...so that's probably why they're not super into christ.

Guy Incognito
01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
so after reading pauls boutique 33 1/3 I was checking yauch's posts to see if i could find what Dan Le Roy had used from here. Still cant find it but i was genuinely unaware that he had posted in this thread and actually had a word so i felt that worthy of bumping it again

silence7
01-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Listen to the "Dirtchamber Sessions Volume One" seems Liam still has a thing for the Beastie Boys, but this was 1999, so how does this figure in this whole controversy... Pronounced: Controv-ersy.

The way I see it, is, emotions at the time... Do they hate each other? doubt it, it's too small to hate.. It was an annoyance/disturbance in the force at the time, but it's gone now... Just one of those things that happens at the moment...

Life's too short for hate...

kingcrimson024
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
(y)

also, just wanted to mention that the beastie boys are jews...so that's probably why they're not super into christ.

yes we all know, i hope, that the beasties are jewish, but being jewish is very unique as it is both a ethnicity and religion. that said, jesus was a jew as well as the first believers, so i'm not sure what your point is there. i was just originally pointing out a moral argument based on an assumption that there is no absolute truth. but really who cares. haha i'm just excited about yauch being cured and the new album and that new short film with danny mcrbide and seth rogan.

JoLovesMCA
01-11-2011, 11:09 AM
This is what makes people unique to me and this is why I respect and appreciate Mike, Adam and Adam as people and not just as some musical obsession I have. If they never spoke out on issues like this or if they never spoke their minds on anything I'd never really be able to understand or know them at all. I like it when somebody is willing to express their feelings on a matter regardless of who they piss off.

MCMel
01-27-2011, 07:46 PM
This is what makes people unique to me and this is why I respect and appreciate Mike, Adam and Adam as people and not just as some musical obsession I have. If they never spoke out on issues like this or if they never spoke their minds on anything I'd never really be able to understand or know them at all. I like it when somebody is willing to express their feelings on a matter regardless of who they piss off.
(y)

silence7
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
This thread's been alive since 2004!?!?!?!? Wow...

MCAadROCKMiKEd7
09-04-2011, 11:21 PM
200 fucking 4.

If i was on this site when this thread started I wouldve been enraged by the way people were disrespectin Yauch on a page that is about HIS BAND why would you be on here if youd talk shit to him one of the few times hes actually on here?! FAIL FAIL FAIL.

If i had a chance to talk to Yauch, id make that talk be worth it, not be known to him as a shit talker. fucking fail, just realize people (those who were sayin he was bein a pussy) that the one time you got the chance to speak to Yauch (which youre on a fan site all about him and his boys!) you talk shit.

Good fucking god that fired me up.

Yes they say theyre moralists and they do things that may show different but you honestly cant ever say somethings for sure about them because they have stated themselves that in interviews and shit they make shit up because shit dude they dont owe anybody anything, love their music, dont get all up in their personal shit and cause debates like this. you know?

Yauch, D, and Adrock are awesome guys, and people overthink everything about them.

LucieT
09-05-2011, 12:22 PM
hi I'm new here, thanks to you MCAadROCKMiKEd7 I've read the thread, focusing on Adam Yauch posts, ( because it was really him right? or was it a joke ?)

I guess that the "girl" he quoted who was abused/raped by a boyfriend is kathleen Hanna, now adrock's wifey..for those who don't her she was a punk, riot girl of the 90's and now still doing some music, but also feminist lectures ( correct me if I am wrong..)..I'm pretty sure you all know that here, no big new..

I completely understand his point, he just asked him, the prodidy guy could just have said him "fuck you"in front of his face instead of saying it loud on stage to have more attention..because at the end of the day none of the beastie boys did censor them, since the band did play the song..so what's wrong with it..it would if the beasties took the power to forbid them to play it..( is that correct english ?).

On the other side, the feminism thing..ummm...I am a woman living in the same world, and one day I hope to hear someone influent talking about real man/woman equality, and not only about the woman rights...
Discrimination is existing for anyone of us (women, men, kids, adults, black, white etc..), and yeah discriminations on men exist too..so why do we rarely hear about it.. ?
Does a song like " smash your dude's up" would be as shocking ?
aren't a lot of songs out there explaining that men are silly and cruel, or how it's funny to see a woman put a man down ??

So there I am, this prodidy song is a lack of respect on women according to Yauch, I agree with it, but what about kathleen (his friend) songs for example, presenting men as pervs rapers, that women should bring a revolution toward men and society...ok I know she loves men, that she doesn't think all the men are rapers etc, I just take this as an example because she is close to the beasties and did obviously influence them on feminism.. but I've read some of her old songs..and I felt she doesn't presents men as good persons (I probably got it wrong but.. ) and that we must fight against them, against the situation...and deciding to present them like that is to me also a lack a respect to them.. and if it's not her it would be someone else..I know she is more clever than that..
So yauch if you read this (I can dream), would you really feel the same if it was the other side ? You show your disagreement on men violence but do you on women's violence? Did you even mention it once in a while?

let me explain why I am reacting like, by giving you an example:

one day on facebook a guy put an article about a woman who has raped, yes RAPED, the thief of her shop that she has captured during 3 days ...all the comments to that was " ah ah so fun" " ah ah she was right.." bla bla bla, like it's so funny and heroic to rape a man... said by people who said to be feminist and for sex equality...

And today in our medias we always see girls showing that they can beats men (in a game term), see Beyonce, Rihanna and co...like there must be a fight between women and men..
I am a woman, and I'm ok with it...if one day a man hurts me, I would put it on the person stupidity not on man/woman relation...

Sorry if I re-open and old and odd debate there..and sorry for my english..

Peace to you all !

MCAadROCKMiKEd7
09-05-2011, 06:10 PM
That was a fucking DAMN good point right there Lucie, I only got defensive cause someone called Yauch a pussy.

That point you just made was fucking outstanding.

fonky pizza
09-05-2011, 07:14 PM
and here's your bigger shit

MCAadROCKMiKEd7
09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
and here's your bigger shit

Whats your deal

Also I read up there that through all this argumentation about christ that the beastie boys are jewish and it kinda made me chuckle that an argument about christ involving them exists considering theyre jewish. Lol

fonky pizza
09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey, I was just teasing you:cool:

Whats your deal

I'd say, EVOL

MCAadROCKMiKEd7
09-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Hey, I was just teasing you:cool:

I'd say, EVOL

Im the WORST at reading sarcasm on the internet :P
it doesnt really work to my advantage thats for damnn sure.

SoundScientist
09-13-2011, 04:21 PM
From my experience, and just reading about history and war etc...religion has always and will always cause more problems than it can ever possibly fix. It is entirely possible to be a good person and have good morals without believing in any form of religion. Really. Just my opinion, but I've believed that since I was a kid in high school taking world religions classes. You just realize how hypocritical the whole religious community can be.

MCAadROCKMiKEd7
09-15-2011, 07:39 AM
From my experience, and just reading about history and war etc...religion has always and will always cause more problems than it can ever possibly fix. It is entirely possible to be a good person and have good morals without believing in any form of religion. Really. Just my opinion, but I've believed that since I was a kid in high school taking world religions classes. You just realize how hypocritical the whole religious community can be.

The religious community is so hypocritical, I have a hard time debating it. I'm completely unsure about my religion, and also think to be a good person doesnt require religion, some people have strong belief in a religion (Some people have it as guidance) Some people dont. I personally dont want to invest my time into a religion when i'm not quite sure what I believe. Stuff is very complex. For the most part i've come to find that i'm more Agnostic than anything. I was starting to get into the Methodist religion for a while influenced by my parents growing up, but as i've gotten older, my mind has shifted.

fonky pizza
09-15-2011, 12:39 PM
In my experience, no matter what the religion you feel you belong to or what discipline you are into or not into, you 'll always find fanatics addicetd to their opinions and beliefs, but you may also find people who are explorative with constructive criticism.

Myu-to
09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi, don't mind me, I'm just here for some cheese and crackers.

fonky pizza
09-18-2011, 11:02 AM
O-furo wa doko desu ka?

MCAadROCKMiKEd7
09-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi, don't mind me, I'm just here for some cheese and crackers.

I'm lactose intolerant. D:

fonky pizza
09-19-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm lactose intolerant. D:

but I can't stop eating cheese...

fonky pizza
09-19-2011, 04:42 AM
I find it NOTinteresting when the Beastie Boys project themselves as moralists, yet openly disrespect Jesus Christ and any form of Bible related morality. I do not mean to start a theological debate, however to argue what is right and wrong from your own world view and expect it to be the medium for all humans is hypocritical at best. Morals without God is empty and meaningless, and never brings about truth or enlightenment for that matter. If the Beastie Boys want to do what is right, then they should just do it, rather than waste energy removing a speck from the eye of another man when they too are just as lost as the next. Free Tibet? How about the fact that people in China,India, and the Middle East TODAY are killed for believing in Christ? Man is responsible for his own actions and thoughts, don't rebuttal this statement with examples of horrific things that men have done in the name of God, please dig a little bit deeper than that. I love the beasties, so please don't think I'm just spraying nonsense here, its just an observation based on morals and the post modern worlds lack of "telos" (Purpose of existence).

I am intolerant to this 100% all american bullshit.

fonky pizza
09-19-2011, 06:14 AM
I am even more intolerant to any type of violence against women.

The Bibble?

A book written by a bunch of men for a bunch of men!

:eek:

Guy Incognito
11-28-2013, 04:10 PM
cos i just mentioned it another thread and i cant be arsed linking it