PDA

View Full Version : How do you make devil's eggs?

b-grrrlie
10-05-2004, 07:03 AM
As it seems to be a popular Halloween costume this question has risen. I assume it is somekinda dish or sumtin....

ms.peachy
10-05-2004, 07:08 AM
First, make your hard boiled eggs and chill them.

Peel carefully and slice them in half lengthwise. Pop the yellow bits out into a bowl and put the white bits aside.

Mash up the yellow bits in the bowl with: mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and a bit of horseradish. You will have to work out how much for yourself, until you have the flavour and consistency you like - use a small dollop at a time and mix.

Once that bit tastes the way you think it oughta and is blended thoroughly, spoon it back into the white halves and arrange on a serving tray.

Dust the top with paprika and you're done!

jabumbo
10-05-2004, 09:31 AM
i cant stand egg yolks, they usually make me sick...but i love those things, they are the greatest

cosmo105
10-07-2004, 01:28 AM
First, make your hard boiled eggs and chill them.

Peel carefully and slice them in half lengthwise. Pop the yellow bits out into a bowl and put the white bits aside.

Mash up the yellow bits in the bowl with: mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and a bit of horseradish. You will have to work out how much for yourself, until you have the flavour and consistency you like - use a small dollop at a time and mix.

Once that bit tastes the way you think it oughta and is blended thoroughly, spoon it back into the white halves and arrange on a serving tray.

Dust the top with paprika and you're done!
the woman knows her cooking. the exact recipe my mom uses (y)

a really fun and cute as hell snack i picked up somewhere that kids can do:

take the yolks and put them in a ziplock baggie with a little teensy bit of mustard and just a wee bit of milk. squish it around (the fun part) and then cut off the tip of the bottom of the bag and then squirt the mixture back into the eggs. take some cheddar cheese and cut it into little triangular wedges, and use toothpicks to stick the cheese into the egg white...top with salt, pepper, paprika, seasoned salt, whatever you want...ta da! egg boats! :)

JBernas
10-07-2004, 07:06 AM
I put a little bit of bacon bits in mine and subsitute a little of the mayo for ranch dressing.....YUM!! (make sure you cook it really crispy or the mayo will make the bits kinda soggy).

Also, here's a tip to keep your egg yolks from getting that green ring (sign of overcooking)....put the eggs in the pot and cover with water. Bring it up to a boil and let them boil for 10 mintues, then turn the heat off and let the eggs sit in the water until it's cool enough to reach in and get them out.....perfect eggs everytime!

luveeyore
10-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Sometimes I add sweet relish to the mix. Mmmm.

I'll be whipping up some deviled eggs this weekend, thanks to all this talk! ;)

jabumbo
10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
mmmmmm...maybe I will make them for dinner...then have a heart attack....mmmm but what a way to go!

they won't give you a heart attack...scotch eggs do that job

b-grrrlie
10-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Wow! I've never heard of eggs made like that! Have to try those next time I have a get-together (which with this pace will be midsummer 2007). Horseradish... mmmmm....

And what are scotch eggs? I've seen eggs in big jars in England, and I think I might've even tasted once, 24 years ago. but can't remember what they were like.
Here we only have "caviar" on egg-halves, or some sort of shrimpmayo.

ms.peachy
10-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Sometimes I add sweet relish to the mix. Mmmm.

Oh no! No no! they mustn't have sweet relish in them; they are not supposed to be sweet, they have to be a bit hot - that is what makes them devilled (or, devil's, if you prefer). As in, devil = satan = hell = hot. They don't need to be particularly spicy, but they must be hot, not sweet.

jabumbo
10-08-2004, 05:57 PM
And what are scotch eggs? I've seen eggs in big jars in England, and I think I might've even tasted once, 24 years ago. but can't remember what they were like.
Here we only have "caviar" on egg-halves, or some sort of shrimpmayo.

scotch eggs are eggs that aer wrapped in sausage. its an irish thing. my gram makes them for parties sometimes, and i can usually only eat a half before im done. goes best with lots of hot sauce