PDA

View Full Version : Hip-Hop vs. The Law

ballerz1
10-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Why is it that every successful hip-hop artist needs to project themselves as being criminals, even when they grew up in suburbia? Take Ja Rule for example. He was raised in a suburban community but then started projecting himself as a hard-core gangster. Then a song came out (“Hail Mary”) by 50 Cent, Eminem, and Busty Rhymes that dissed him for the fact, and his sales started to slide. It’s also interesting to see how the law enforcement deals with these young artists, such as the NYPD setting up a special “Hip-Hop Task Force” that monitors their every move.

I thought to bring up these topics because I just saw a preview for an upcoming hip-hop special on Court TV being produced by Russell Simmons. It’s called “Hip Hop Justice” (I think), and airs Wednesday (10/06) @ 10pm. It looks really interesting and hopefully will help put hip-hop in a more positive light.

Peace,

Trevor

ASsman
10-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Hahah Ja-Rule is the biggest joke in hip-hop since the sugar hill gang. Anyways... I think its all goes back to stereotypes, and thats just what it is. And since one guy does it, they all follow like sheep. Which is all pop-culture is, a herd of sheep.

stillill
10-06-2004, 09:38 PM
I thought to bring up these topics because I just saw a preview for an upcoming hip-hop special on Court TV being produced by Russell Simmons. It’s called “Hip Hop Justice” (I think), and airs Wednesday (10/06) @ 10pm. It looks really interesting and hopefully will help put hip-hop in a more positive light.

Peace,

Trevor

Russell Simmons ideas about hip hop, justice, and psoitivity. Ha! I'd rather watch a Ja Rule special. Everything that Russell Simmons does is just a chance for him to promote his various enterprises-to make more $ (guess he didn't get enough from the Beasties).

SobaViolence
10-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Everything that Russell Simmons does is just a chance for him to promote his various enterprises-to make more $ (guess he didn't get enough from the Beasties).

bam!

someone isn't bitter.... :rolleyes:

stillill
10-07-2004, 02:09 AM
bam!

someone isn't bitter.... :rolleyes:

I was in a bad mood earlier today and may have come off that way. But... that doesn't make mt statement any less true.

ASsman
10-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Hmmm. It's a hate-love relationship. Very complex.