PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear assets 'vanish' in Iraq: Way to go Bush

ASsman
10-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Equipment and materials that could be used to make nuclear arms have been vanishing in Iraq since the invasion, the United Nations has warned.

Satellite images show entire buildings have been dismantled without any record being made, said Mohamed ElBaradei, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog.

Iraq's US-backed leaders have not reported to the UN on the state of nuclear plants despite a duty to do so.

But they have asked the UN to help sell off unwanted nuclear material.

"The disappearance of such equipment and materials may be of proliferation significance," the IAEA director general warned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3735224.stm

----
Hahaha, why isn't this on the NEWS! Oh yah is it because it makes Bush look like a douche bag?

SobaViolence
10-12-2004, 10:44 AM
didn't they go to war to stop this from happening?

*head explodes*

Echewta
10-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Yes, but at least Saddam doesn't have that stuff anymore.

Jasonik
10-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I thought Saddam was contained with no nuclear capabilities. You mean he really had nuclear material?

*head explodes*

Echewta
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Read the article. It was in check. Now its not.

Better or worse?

yeahwho
10-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Nice plan. I wouldn't trust these guys to wash my fucking car. The outcome would be a nightmare.

infidel
10-12-2004, 06:00 PM
I thought Saddam was contained with no nuclear capabilities. You mean he really had nuclear material?

*head explodes*It was equipment that we knew he had, and knew he wasn't using. Some pieces are pieces that are critically necessary in making nuclear weapons - but, Saddam did not have everything needed to make them. The equipment had been tagged by the UN.

So, the fact that he had those pieces of equipment is in some ways immaterial - we knew he wasn't making nukes with that equipment (that was one of the first things the UN Weapons Inspectors checked about 4 months before we invaded). But, a few pieces of it are critically important IF someone DID want to make nukes - so it isn't stuff we should have just let disappear. Someone getting their hands on it won't be able to make nukes just because of having it, but it does represent a few pieces of the puzzle. So, effectively, whereas that equipment was locked down and monitored before we invaded but not after, now we have no idea where it is.

ASsman
10-12-2004, 06:36 PM
infidel 1 - Jasonik 0