PDA

View Full Version : What came first, the liberal or the fan?

melissajaneane
10-12-2004, 10:43 PM
I've noticed that there is no lack of liberals frequenting this website, myself included. I was wondering if liberals gravitate towards the b boys because of their politics (obviously the music is a factor) or do fans adopt those politics because they aren't that informed and are lacking opposing viewpoints?

What do you think?

DroppinScience
10-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Speaking for myself, I've been a liberal WAY longer than I've been listening to the B-Boys, so I'm gonna say liberals gravitate towards the B Boys.

But it's not the politics that attracts the fans solely. If they didn't put any politics in there, I'd still love 'em all the same.

What I love about them is that they've gone from beer-swilling frat boys to Tibet-freeing Buddhist monks over the course of their career. In short, EVOLUTION!

I'm a fan because I'm along for the ride. I appreciate the fact that they're socially conscious and they feel the need to express that in songs. Good for them! (y)

But let's be real here, their politics is the icing on the cake. It is NOT the main attraction to the Beasties.

Funkaloyd
10-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Fan first here. What about you?

I don't know for sure, but I think that because the majority of artists out there are moderately liberal, not many leftists bother listening to a band because of its political message. Those that do seem to go for more extreme messages, like those found in the works of Paris and Zack de la Rocha.

Ace42
10-13-2004, 01:10 AM
While I would not self-apply the often misleading label "liberal," my political understanding has in no way been affected, altered or influenced by what little familiarity with the band I have.

drobertson420
10-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Another example: Radiohead....F-ing awesome band...Last CD Title:
"Hail To The Thief"... I can seperate politics from music, because really, it's about the music (y)

paulk
10-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I wasn't liberal to start with, and coming to these message boards and reading some of the posts has only made me less liberal and more libertarian.

hellojello
10-13-2004, 11:37 AM
I think it depends on the person... I found out about the band's political views after I developed a passion for their music, and it just made me respect them more. On the other hand, there are musicians whose political views aren't the same as mine, but I still respect their work. As far as I'm concerned, Beastie Boys' political opinions are just another reason to like them.

yea, indeed

D_Raay
10-13-2004, 12:32 PM
While I would not self-apply the often misleading label "liberal," my political understanding has in no way been affected, altered or influenced by what little familiarity with the band I have.
Are you a fan Ace? How long if so?

Personally I've been a fan first since I was little and wet behind the ears. Their current political standing only further enhances my love for the band.

DroppinScience
10-13-2004, 12:44 PM

Wait a sec... you ain't a fan?!?!? :eek: :confused:

Ace42
10-13-2004, 01:38 PM
They have some good songs, and some of their videos are oustanding, but that is as much as I have cared to delve. So no, I am not a fanatic.

DroppinScience
10-13-2004, 01:46 PM
They have some good songs, and some of their videos are oustanding, but that is as much as I have cared to delve. So no, I am not a fanatic.

That better change pretty soon. You have no clue what you're missing!

Jasonik
10-13-2004, 02:02 PM

That could just as easily describe me. Though the 'sound' of the Beasties have definitely deeply informed and enriched my musical/rhythmic taste and personal style, Ace42 has impacted my political views more than the Beastie Boys have, (which I suspect, after all, is more akin to the concousness-raising nondogmatic self-evolution championed by them).

EN[i]GMA
10-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Beasties are my #1 love. Their politics have influenced me. Educated me.

ASsman
10-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Hip-Hop as it is, has been very political over the time. So I would have to say both satements are true. Except now with "gangsta" rap and all that shit, most of it just makes people more ignorant. (not dissing the new style completly)

yeahwho
10-13-2004, 04:30 PM
The BB's are great. I never have looked to them as some sort of a political group, but their music is mind expanding in that the possibilities of rap are explored beyond the norm, plus they rhyme like clazy. And dress like pimps.

They do have a great political discussion board. You guys are all for the most part well informed. That is better than some boards out there. And even the ones that are not well inform, at least there seems to be a glimmer of passion.

The trollers are the best. They almost seem to be computer generated. Cyber button pushing at it's calculated best. :D

Fun Fun Fun