PDA

View Full Version : Bush and God

Documad
10-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Something Bush said last night really scared me. I had assumed a lot about his religion before, and I respect his dedication to it. But while I knew it impacted his decisions, it never occurred to me how far it might go.

When asked about consulting his "higher father" before invading Iraq, Bush basically said that religion is an important part in his presidential decision-making. He went on to say "I believe we ought to love our neighbor like we love ourself, as manifested in public policy through the faith-based initiative where we've unleashed the armies of compassion to help heal people who hurt. I believe that God wants everybody to be free. That's what I believe. And that's been part of my foreign policy. In Afghanistan, I believe that the freedom there is a gift from the Almighty."

This raises so many questions. Are we healing people who hurt in Iraq? Why are we not helping heal people who hurt (from disease/famine rather than from being non-Christian) in Africa?

I think his comment indicates that if Bush is reelected, we'll at least consider invading any country controlled by non-Christians. Am I crazy? :confused:

Schmeltz
10-14-2004, 07:30 PM
If the "freedom" in Afghanistan is a gift from the Almighty, I'd hate to see what kind of shit the Devil's handing out these days.

infidel
10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
If bush is truely a Christen he sure isn't following Jesus' teachings.

paulk
10-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Both Bush and Kerry seemed to go pretty Jesus-freak up on the stage during that question.

SobaViolence
10-14-2004, 07:39 PM
If the "freedom" in Afghanistan is a gift from the Almighty, I'd hate to see what kind of shit the Devil's handing out these days.

well, if you sell your soul, things are pretty sweet. (y)

bobbydigital
10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
When will these suit and tie fucks figure out that religion has no place in politics?

Documad
10-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Both Bush and Kerry seemed to go pretty Jesus-freak up on the stage during that question.

I thought Kerry's answer was reassuring -- he explained what I believe is the proper role of religion in a public official's life. He seems to understand that other people have a right to believe in their own God, or as he said in no God at all. Kind of a novel concept lately in government.