PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Talk

yeahwho
10-20-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm from Seattle where coffee is religion. I quit Starbucks several years ago, we have some fine local roasters here and I purchased from them till about a year ago. Then I started ordering gourmet coffee over the internet, this was some good coffee that blew away many years of great coffee drinking. I'm talking about some of the best coffee in the world. This is an expensive way to go, usually $20 a pound and up.

Then one day I was chatting over the internet on a site and I noticed a thread on roasting your own coffee beans. I had to try this, so I purchased a roaster and some green coffee beans about a year ago, now that is all I drink. Home Roasted Fresh Coffee. Is anybody else out there a coffee fanatic?

hellojello
10-20-2004, 01:52 AM
i like coffee and quitting starbucks is one thing (whatever posessed u to go there in the first place???) but roasting ur own coffee beans??? u'll be growing ur own plants from 'specially selected' seed next.

yeahwho
10-20-2004, 02:59 AM
Starbucks was amazing at one time it was the only Gourmet Coffee in Seattle. It originated here in a little storefront at the Public Market. I would say they had maybe a core of 100 to 300 regular customers with a few thousand stopping by for them fancy lattes in their first few years of exsistance up here in Seattle. My Mom was one of the core first customers to take and actually grind coffee at home. Then it caught on and they opened a second store in town.....well....the rest is history.

but roasting ur own coffee beans??? u'll be growing ur own plants from 'specially selected' seed next.

Why? I have a passion for wanting the best. That is all. I'm willing to do the groundwork, so are thousands of others, it may seem odd to do this, roast your own coffee beans, but believe me, Starbucks was very odd when it first appeared on the radar. Home Roasted Beans makes for really good coffee, excellent, above anything else served in the finest establishments. Roasting is really easy, it's not rocket science. The results are fantastic and that part of the day when I have a cup of coffee is GREAT!

100% ILL
10-20-2004, 08:14 AM
I enjoy coffee as well. I lived in the Seattle area for a number of years and while there I became addicted to the Starbucks. Never went beyond that though. I do enjoy a good coffee shop.

dublirie04
10-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Um..yup...and I used to live in Olympia..so I feel where you are coming from. If you get Kona beans from Hawaii, they are red gold and green and they roast to create a fine medium coffee. Kona is my favorite but I appreciate many types from around the world. I had a cup of seasonal pumpkin spice the other day and that was a nice change. I couldn't drink it daily but the flavor matched up with this harvest fall color change thing we have going here in the Mid west. Have a pleasant day. :D

yeahwho
10-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Here are some links, I drank killer beans for a year, the Carribean Cut-Throat is Excellent http://killerbeans.com/site/home.html

Now I go through this site for Green Beans. This guy is the most anal retentive coffee maniac on the planet. His beans are amazing. http://www.sweetmarias.com/

I've been using this roaster for the past year, Fresh Roast Plus 8 (scroll down) http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.freshroast.shtml

I have about 30 lbs. of green beans on stock from about 10 countries, current fav is Columbian Supremo Mercedes...Smooth, dark, depth and Buzzzzzz :D

dublirie04
10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
you got me thinkin and so I am brewin a cup as we speak. (lb)

bdavid
10-20-2004, 09:08 AM
I don't know why but Dunkin Donuts, to me, has the best coffee.

100% ILL
10-20-2004, 09:16 AM

I've heard a lot of people say that, but I have never tried their coffee.

yeahwho
10-20-2004, 09:16 AM

It is good! Dunkin Donuts makes a fine cup. Donut Shops Rule, just in general.

dublirie04
10-20-2004, 09:33 AM
for real...i was going to the plane, off the train, in chitown, from jersey (from the MSG show) and there was a dunkin donuts station there...so naturally I had to grab a cup...their joe was great. i wonder what the ancient chinese secret is for that blend. Maybe just years of straight brewin. how do we get a hold of Dunkin to get the info-he he............................. :cool:

100% ILL
10-20-2004, 11:20 AM

like2_drink
10-20-2004, 01:12 PM
i love coffee. im starting to get into expresso to, my dad can make a bomb expresso.

jabumbo
10-20-2004, 01:52 PM
i like to smell coffee....not drink it..

i prefer a very milky coffee, more like cappucino i guess? i dont really know...

Whois
10-20-2004, 02:41 PM
Yeah, Starbucks used to be awesome, just like Redhook...they became too successful and the product quality suffered.

Sad...

Ever tried cold brewed coffee?

yeahwho
10-20-2004, 06:42 PM

I did try some cold brewed coffee for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Interesting stuff, it tastes very good. I may buy that contraption and try it out for awhile. A co-worker brought some in last week, it is all his wife and him drink. The beans they used on their batch were subpar, yet very tasty.

bdavid
10-21-2004, 05:44 AM
Yeah, Starbucks used to be awesome, just like Redhook...they became too successful and the product quality suffered.

Sad...

When they came out with Frappachinos it became fast food coffee. Now they're always full of junior high kids drinking them and talking on cell phones.

It's funny though, I once sent Starbucks an email telling them that their quality control had really slipped and they sent me two vouchers for free drink. Any size any drink.

Whois
10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
When they came out with Frappachinos it became fast food coffee. Now they're always full of junior high kids drinking them and talking on cell phones.

It's funny though, I once sent Starbucks an email telling them that their quality control had really slipped and they sent me two vouchers for free drink. Any size any drink.

Yup, clearly they now value quantity over quality...

yeahwho
10-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Starbucks is into blending Big Time. They blend their roasts with a touch of high grade beans, then put in the bulk. What killed Starbucks for me is they over-roast their beans to mask the inferior mix. The espresso is OK at best. But their drip coffee has hit the bottom.

I travel quite a bit and I'll buy a Americano here and there, but I try to avoid Starbucks at all costs. Really, Dunkin Donuts is better, much better.

Once you start roasting your own beans, you realize, Starbucks is masking by over-roasting and using inferior beans.

Their are alot of real good independent Espresso Shops that still brew up a fantastic cup and one chain, Peets, which does a great job of roasting and blending.

I'm not a coffee snob, really, it is all subjective, the thing is that places like Starbucks pretend to be upscale, actually they are more of a K Mart chain who sell CD's and Corporate Logo gear.

bgirl_jess
10-24-2004, 11:24 AM
I <3 Coffee! GODDAMN

dublirie04
10-25-2004, 09:24 AM
good morning, what is the roast of the day? I think I will have to check but my menu says Mutha Fuckin dank dark and drinkable. :eek:

Whois
10-25-2004, 11:52 AM
My favorite coffee is Jamaican Blue Mountain. That shit is like $25 a pound...but it tastes soooooo good. I like french press, it really brings out the flavor....and you can brew your shit anywhere that way.

While in Seattle...there was a really good coffeeshop by my hotel. I think it was called Top Pot Doughnuts or something like that....on 5th (??) Ave. We went there every morning before doing anything else. Good stuff.

mmmMMMmmm...JBM! (y)

Yes, Top Pot has good coffee and great doughnuts.

lil richard
10-28-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm addicted to lattes

dublirie04
11-02-2004, 06:33 AM
The talk today is no name calling while drinking coffee...I usually like my sugar with coffee and cream but today I am keepin it real with coffee and 2 percent organic milk. mmmmmmmmmmm. I love coffee. It helps me type fast.
I gotta walk in the rain here soon to pick up my costume party pics so I need a blast of beany energy to get there and back in about 45 minutes. I remember walking the hills of Seattle...I also remember my hellafied gangsta lean that I had on walking the hills of West Virginia. One thing that is hard to do is to walk my dog and drink coffee at the same time. I always end up spilling it cause she would chase a squirrl or rabbit or what not. Anyways, what type of drinks are you all having this fine morning?

*Nurse Rachet*
11-03-2004, 12:13 AM
The only Starbucks Ill drink is the dub shot and Carmel Frapachino-sp-.
Im so down with Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Best Vanilla Latte ever. (y)

dublirie04
11-04-2004, 01:51 PM
the morning roast was hazelnut with cream - sugar in the raw - and nutmeg

and right, right - now now, it is french with o.g. 2 per cent milk and bleached white sugar......yeah (!)

*Nurse Rachet*
11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Im having a grande non-fat sugar-free carmel machiato. So yummy and its not going to make me fat.

dublirie04
11-09-2004, 01:33 PM
On top of my morrocon mint tea, I am having a french roast with vanilla enriched rice dream and a bit of honey. :eek:

beastiegirrl101
11-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Starbucks has its seasonal pumpkin spiced latte out right now and I gotta tell you guys...I can't get enough. Not a huge fan of starbucks...my neighborhood protested when they started building one...but I do go there for these during thanksgiving season....anyone else ever have one??? ;)

Whois
11-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Starbucks has its seasonal pumpkin spiced latte out right now and I gotta tell you guys...I can't get enough. Not a huge fan of starbucks...my neighborhood protested when they started building one...but I do go there for these during thanksgiving season....anyone else ever have one??? ;)

What's Staryucks?

InvisiblSkratch
11-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Hey folk, what up? Up here in Canada we got this nation wide coffee shop called Tim Hortons. I love all there food; cookies, donuts, coffee, french vanilla's. Anyway, if any of you are up in Canada, Ch-check it out.

dublirie04
11-12-2004, 02:14 PM
today, is my mothers b-day and we like coffee but tonight we will spike it with much spice...if you all know what I mean. She prefers Irish Coffee's with wipped cream and I like spanish coffee's with mad wipped shi-at... reguardless, we will rock this mutha-fucka like three's the hard way....

Peace and Jah Love Everytime, Marirose :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: