PDA

View Full Version : Butternut Squash Soup

JBernas
10-22-2004, 11:15 AM
I made this last night and had to share....it was SOOO good! Great winter soup!

1/2 Vidalia onion (you could use a small leek too)
5 tbsp. butter
2 medium butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
1/4 tsp. sage
2-3 dashes of nutmeg or allspice (cinnamon would work too)
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
6 cups chicken stock (or vegetable for veggies)
1 cup half and half
1 cup milk
1/4 cup toasted and finely chopped almonds (put in dry frying pan over med heat until brown)

Melt the butter in the bottom of a large pot. Add onions and cook over low heat until soft. Add squash, stock and spices. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 40-60 minutes until squash is VERY soft and basically fallling apart.

Food process (or you could use a blender) entire ingredients in batches until smooth. Transfer back to the pot and add the half & half and milk over low to medium heat. Do not allow to boil.

Ladle into bowls and top with a spinkling of almonds

Enjoy!

BTW...be very careful when cutting the raw squash. It's very hard and awkward to peel. It was easier for me to first cut it into small pieces and then use a paring knife to peel the pieces......

b-grrrlie
10-22-2004, 03:55 PM
You have such different vegetables in the States than in Europe!
I wish I could get hold of butternut squash and Vidalia onions in here as well!
Also all those tofus that you can get there, smooth and flavoured! Never even heard of them before.
If anybody's making anything of butternut squash could you save and send me the seeds?

and what is half and half?

jabumbo
10-23-2004, 08:53 PM
i dont like squash....

and half and half is a cream type thing...half cream, half milk i guess?

dublirie04
10-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Yes, now I know what to make. I will have to reply with my way of makin it. :rolleyes:

ms.peachy
10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Half and half is what England calls 'single cream', not sure about Sweden.

This recipe sounds excellent. I luuuurve squash. I will have to try this. Definitely. Maybe with a side salad of spinach with chooped egg and wanut, and a nice hearty peasanty sort of bread. Yes! OMG I am making myself so hungry, and I just ate dinner and everything...

jabumbo
10-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Half and half is what England calls 'single cream', not sure about Sweden.

This recipe sounds excellent. I luuuurve squash. I will have to try this. Definitely. Maybe with a side salad of spinach with chooped egg and wanut, and a nice hearty peasanty sort of bread. Yes! OMG I am making myself so hungry, and I just ate dinner and everything...

you should know not to come on here right after dinner...tsk tsk