View Full Version : 5 precepts of Buddhism and 4 Noble Truths

hummalumma
10-25-2004, 10:02 PM
The Five Precepts of Buddhism:

1. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from taking life
2. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from taking what is not given
3. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from sexual misconduct
4. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from false speech
5. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from intoxicants, which lead to carelessness

----------------------------------------------------------

The Buddha’s Four Noble Truths expose the causes of human trouble and include the cure, the Noble Eightfold Path, which is the Path of Right Human Relations. Humanity is learning these lessons and taking its first steps along the Lighted Way of Right Relations.

Those who seek the path to enlightenment must first remove all ego, pride and humbly be willing to accept the light of Truth. All the treasures of the world, all its gold, silver and honors, are not to be compared with wisdom and virtue. To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind.

Anyone who can control the mind can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come. Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.

1. Suffering

Suffering and frustration come from our difficulty in facing the basic fact of life that everything around us is impermanent and transitory. Rich or poor, average or gifted, all life is subjected to the following: the trauma of birth, the pathology of sickness, the fear of physical and mental degeneration, the phobia of death, karmically to be tied to what one distastes, or to be separated from what one loves. "All things must arise and pass away."

2. Desire

The cause of suffering and frustration occurs because out of ignorance, we divide the perceived world into individual and separate things. The desire to pull apart from the rest of life and seek fulfillment for the separated self, at the expense of all other forms of life, causes suffering to the whole, as Life is One Being. Our duty to our brothers and sisters is to understand them as extensions, other aspects of ourselves, as fellow facets of the same reality.

3. Suffering and Frustration Can Be Ended

If the cause of life’s suffering is those inclinations which tend to continue or increase separativeness, in fact all forms of selfish craving, then its cure lies in the overcoming of such cravings. If we can be released from the narrow limits of self- interest into the vast expanse of universal life, we will be free of our torment.

The overcoming of desire is through substitution of the personal wants with divine inclinations.

4. The Eightfold Path to Enlightenment

The way out of our captivity is through the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment:

Right Understanding leads to Wisdom

Right Aspiration leads to Divine Inclination

Right Speech leads to Truth and Understanding

Right Behavior leads to Goodwill

Right Livelihood leads to Sharing

Right Effort leads to Highest Outcome

Right Mindfulness leads to Purposeful Living

Right Absorbtion leads to Unity

In these simple words Buddha teaches us to shine our light, and find peace.

milleson
10-25-2004, 10:27 PM

Your posts always seem to come along at just the right time.

I am struggling with the justice of war. Not the current war, but all wars. Inherently all war seems unjust regardless of intention or result. I feel strongly that the use of violence against entire nations, much less individuals is wrong.

I found a quote from the Dalai Lama on the issue, but am still not sure I agree. I see the wisdom in his words, but it seems contradictory to the first Precept of Buddhism.

"If one's motivation is sincere and positive but the circumstances require harsh behavior, essentially one is practicing nonviolence," the Dalai Lama said in a comment made long before the current crisis. "No matter what the case may be, I feel that a compassionate concern for the benefit of others--not simply for oneself--is the sole justification for the use of force."

Any thoughts?

Finkasaurus
10-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Your posts always seem to come along at just the right time.

I am struggling with the justice of war. Not the current war, but all wars. Inherently all war seems unjust regardless of intention or result. I feel strongly that the use of violence against entire nations, much less individuals is wrong.

I found a quote from the Dalai Lama on the issue, but am still not sure I agree. I see the wisdom in his words, but it seems contradictory to the first Precept of Buddhism.

"If one's motivation is sincere and positive but the circumstances require harsh behavior, essentially one is practicing nonviolence," the Dalai Lama said in a comment made long before the current crisis. "No matter what the case may be, I feel that a compassionate concern for the benefit of others--not simply for oneself--is the sole justification for the use of force."

Any thoughts?
yea i cant agree with that either....i recently took the 5 precepts at a local thai buddhist temple (Theravada) and that means not only do i not kill, or condone killing but its my responsibility to use my time and resources to help against that. now in this day and age it is hard for me to do that, i work 2 sometimes 3 jobs. but no, i cant agree with what the dalai lama said, and to be frank, im surprised he said that.

milleson
10-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Here is the link to that quote. (http://www.beliefnet.com/story/89/story_8930_2.html)

Finkasaurus
10-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Here is the link to that quote. (http://www.beliefnet.com/story/89/story_8930_2.html)
interesting, thanks

stillill
10-28-2004, 02:23 AM
I think that article gave the quote some context. Really interesting, it's definitely something to contemplate. Thank you for the link.

keef
01-30-2005, 08:09 AM
Taken from a site that I used to visit:

The precepts are a condensed form of Buddhist ethical practice. They are often compared with the ten commandments of Christianity, however, the precepts are different in two respects: First, they are to be taken as recommendations, not commandments. This means the individual is encouraged to use his/her own intelligence to apply these rules in the best possible way. Second, it is the spirit of the precepts -not the text- that counts, hence, the guidelines for ethical conduct must be seen in the larger context of the Eightfold Path.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/precepts.html
- http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/
-- http://www.thebigview.com

Marlene
02-06-2005, 01:01 AM

Any thoughts?

what US led war has ever had compassionate concern at it's basis? none that i know of, so i don't necessarily see a conflict with the quote (not only thinking of US led wars).

MC Moot
04-05-2005, 12:08 PM

Any thoughts?

Yes,something that struck me while reading your response and issues I take with the certainty or complete wisdom of the 1st precept....."Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery...." Malcolm X Speaks, 1965

That quote always comes to mind.

ericg
04-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Absolution can often detract from resolve...

DelMateo
08-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I'm going to read this often so I can understand it since I'm new to this particular message board.

TonsOfFun
11-04-2005, 08:58 AM
I really need to go back to my local buddhist centre.

Anyway, I decided to convert to Buddhism about 4 years ago. Before I was catholic and raised as such.

I'm not sure if I've read some of the replies wrong here and I'm seriously not saying anything against The Dalai Lama. But the same way catholics highest is The Pope. A Buddhist highest is The Dalai Lama. When I went to the Buddhist centre - it's Friends of the Western Buddhist Order (FWBO), an international Buddhist movement - which was founded in London in the 60's. Anyway, I had questions and such where something the Dalai Lama might of said that doesn't quite seem with the western world or that I agree with. Anyway, you take the bits you agree or feel most comfortable with. The same way a Catholic might have sex before marriage, not what Catholic teachings are by the Pope (I think) and although I might be Buddhist doesn't mean I have to agree with Dalai Lama with everything he's says. It's more about being a good human being. I found Buddhism a way to channel in how to be the best human being as possible. The exact same reason why someone might convert to ISLAM from catholism because they might not think that what the bible teaches is the true word of God. I still make mistakes, I hurt other peoples feelings the same way a Catholic might. It's not something I do on purpose but humans have egos and their own natural response to be selfish, which isn't a bad thing unless channeled in the wrong way.

So although you might disagree with the Dalai Lama or what a buddhist said, we are all of different cultures and might take things in a different context to what our local surroundings are.

A lot what might come out are philosphers questions. If we created a time machine and went back in time to kill saddam hussain before he was powerful, would that justify killing him before he did anything wrong. It's such a complex question because one of the 10 commandments is not to kill and the same with the first precepts of buddhism. Another question out of that is that when he is put on trial, is the death penalty justified. I would argue if we are a civilised society we have no need for the death penalty in it. If we do have the death penalty can we class ourselves as civilised. Religion is not that black and white. I only know of Buddhism and Catholism, I'm sure the Koran will have teachings that that local surroundins denote into a teaching being taken as one thing somewhere and something different elsewhere.

So I couldn't take that quote so black and white, especially when there are so many issues in todays world and teachings that can cloud the issue. Doesn't have to undermine the 5 precepts or the 10 commandments.

Hope some of that makes sense. I'm not very good at writings and saying what I mean. A recommendation on a good book if you are either interested in Buddhism or what the Dalai Lama feels/beleives is "The Art of Happiness" by Howard C. Cutler.

enree erzweglle
04-21-2006, 09:10 AM

2. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from taking what is not given
3. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from sexual misconduct
4. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from false speech
5. For the purpose of training I vow to refrain from intoxicants, which lead to carelessnessWhere are you hummalumma? I miss your posts except for that one about Bono. :)

beastiegirrl101
04-21-2006, 09:47 AM

This reminds me of that one Six Feet Under episode when Lisa had aunts in the house and she was asking them to leave because she was a Buddhist and wouldn't kill them.