PDA

View Full Version : The Age of Wal-Mart:Most Powerful

ASsman
11-10-2004, 06:41 PM
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/33629.htm

Since I was unable to find it on the CNBC.

http://www.walmartwatch.com/consumer/

Whois
11-10-2004, 06:54 PM
But...Mega-Lo-Mart is your friend.

"One of us, one of us, one of us"

Rosie Cotton
11-10-2004, 07:01 PM
we just have to go to the electronics section and break the mirror to kill the wal-mart.

ASsman
11-10-2004, 07:06 PM
Good Idea: Go into Wal-Mart got to Electronics and set all the alarm clocks up, put the volume all the way up. And then leave.

Rosie Cotton
11-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Good Idea: Go into Wal-Mart got to Electronics and set all the alarm clocks up, put the volume all the way up. And then leave.

Mwahahaha!!!!!

brendan
11-10-2004, 07:24 PM
"walmart. they don't do it for the money, they do it to destroy your town."

jon stewart

D_Raay
11-10-2004, 07:43 PM
If a man smiles all the time, he's probably selling something that doesn't work.

Property is theft. Nobody "owns" anything. When you die, it all stays here.

yeahwho
11-10-2004, 07:49 PM
I live just a few miles from a Wal-Mart. The cars line up and the cars line out. I went in once, trying to find a cheap coffee brewer....all I could see on the shelves of Wal-Mart were Bad Health Plans and Third World Labor.

Really an ugly place.

Whois
11-10-2004, 07:58 PM
I live just a few miles from a Wal-Mart. The cars line up and the cars line out. I went in once, trying to find a cheap coffee brewer....all I could see on the shelves of Wal-Mart were Bad Health Plans and Third World Labor.

Really an ugly place.

I loved the porcelain jesus figures next to the "Passion of the Christ" DVDs...classic!

Rosie Cotton
11-10-2004, 11:16 PM

Really an ugly place.

But you still got a good deal on that brewer, right?

w33t
11-10-2004, 11:36 PM

Really an ugly place.

What Wal-Mart were you shopping at? When I go there, I see name-brand products at reasonable prices.

Rosie Cotton
11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
What Wal-Mart were you shopping at? When I go there, I see name-brand products at reasonable prices.

Dude, you need to go at three in the morning then. that's some frightening shit. Though the short lines are nice. And the self check-out scanner is really fun if you're drunk. It makes me giggle like a little school girl.

w33t
11-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Dude, you need to go at three in the morning then. that's some frightening shit. Though the short lines are nice. And the self check-out scanner is really fun if you're drunk. It makes me giggle like a little school girl.

I'll be sure to do that, thanks for the suggestion :P

Rosie Cotton
11-11-2004, 01:22 AM
I'll be sure to do that, thanks for the suggestion :P

You won't regret it.

yeahwho
11-11-2004, 10:24 AM
But you still got a good deal on that brewer, right?

No Way Rosie! I will not give Sam my $$$. I'm not shopping at Wal-Mart. They gave me the creeps. I ended up buying a $10 brewer in a hardware store on the Oregon Coast......indy one at that. Sure there were some nice folks working at Wal-Mart, but the overall feel of the store was sleazy.....if anybody knows what I mean....cause I don't mean it in a snobby way, I mean it in that place is sleazy.

D_Raay
11-11-2004, 12:06 PM
My local WalMart was raided last year by the INS. They uncovered over a 30 illegal immigrants working there. Was a big story here, even got a snipet in the national headlines. Great corporation there.

Qdrop
11-11-2004, 01:54 PM
No Way Rosie! I will not give Sam my $$$. I'm not shopping at Wal-Mart. They gave me the creeps. I ended up buying a $10 brewer in a hardware store on the Oregon Coast......indy one at that. Sure there were some nice folks working at Wal-Mart, but the overall feel of the store was sleazy.....if anybody knows what I mean....cause I don't mean it in a snobby way, I mean it in that place is sleazy.

man, you're like.....SUPER LIBERAL MAN!!!!

you're so liberal, you throw blood on your dog and yell "fur is murder!"

you're so liberal, during the moment of orgasm, you yell "TAX ME!!"

ASsman
11-11-2004, 02:21 PM
If by liberal you mean not a hypocrit. Then yes.

Rosie Cotton
11-11-2004, 06:45 PM

I know. The Super-Wal-Mart's are the worst. Especially when it gets dark. That's when the gangsta wanna-bes hang out by the door and harass all the girls that are by themselves. Nothing scarier than being accosted by a group of fifteen white boys who think they're Ludacris.

ASsman
11-11-2004, 06:46 PM
I know. The Super-Wal-Mart's are the worst. Especially when it gets dark. That's when the gangsta wanna-bes hang out by the door and harass all the girls that are by themselves. Nothing scarier than being accosted by a group of fifteen white boys who think they're Ludacris.
Heh, just walk in a buy a gat and some bullets.

Rosie Cotton
11-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Heh, just walk in a buy a gat and some bullets.

I'll do that the next time I need to buy frozen pizza, poorly made jeans, a flea collar for my cat, and a $5 copy of From Justin to Kelly.

yeahwho
11-11-2004, 08:06 PM
man, you're like.....SUPER LIBERAL MAN!!!!
you're so liberal, you throw blood on your dog and yell "fur is murder!"

you're so liberal, during the moment of orgasm, you yell "TAX ME!!"

I Love IT! Come on up to Seattle and ch ch check it out. Fuck Wal-Mart, they can kiss my ass. The only reason to go in there is to get sober. The Sobering effect of crushing all competition and perpetuating cheap labor for the workers. The more you go, the less you get. ;)

L

ASsman
11-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Speaking of which.

http://adbusters.org/metas/politico/unbrandamerica/dirtydozen/index2.html

Whois
11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
I Love IT! Come on up to Seattle and ch ch check it out. Fuck Wal-Mart, they can kiss my ass. The only reason to go in there is to get sober. The Sobering effect of crushing all competition and perpetuating cheap labor for the workers. The more you go, the less you get. ;)

L

My biggest problem is I feel unclean when I'm there...

UNCLEAN!!!!

FunkyHiFi
11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Kinda short notice (sorry!) but Frontline is going do a show called "is wal-mart good for america?" (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/) at 9:00pm tonight here in the Midwest. Frontline is good about reporting the facts without sugar-coating them and why I am sure the neo-cons would loooove to pull the financing for this show, or Bill Moyer's "NOW" show..........or PBS altogether for that matter.

ASsman
11-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Meh, I don't have complete trust in the corporate media. I always think they have some sort of secondary obejctive. But I will watch it nonetheless, thanks.

Represent! Midwest!

FunkyHiFi
11-16-2004, 08:13 PM
corporate media

PBS is corporate media? :confused:

ASsman
11-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Yah, I forgot what channel Frontline was on.

ASsman
11-16-2004, 09:55 PM
hahaha, TAKE YOUR MEDICIDE MIDDLE AMERICA!
How do you like that side of the shaft.

FunkyHiFi
11-16-2004, 10:28 PM
ASsman: jeezus that was an infuriating show to watch. Honestly, twice I had my finger on the remote's channel button to change the channel (I didn't) because I getting so pissed off, and depressed too. This near-evil company truly is changing this ocuntry, not for the better, and certainly not for it's citizen's benefit. Sure you can buy a pack of socks real cheap NOW, but in reality all that is really doing is fucking over a fellow American later on by helping to screw them out of their textile industry job.

And that crap about the trade agreement signed in the late 90s helping to create AMERICAN jobs? WTF???? did anybody that signed the damn thing think to look at the typical Chinese person's yearly salary? God that was a stupid, stupid thing for Clinton to agree to. Or like the Telecommunications Act Of 1996 (why Clear Channel was allowed to suddenly get so big for example), was this agreement screwed with AFTER he signed it?

And where is the American government during all these U.S. plant closings? (this is really a rhetorical question)

Unless more Americans pull their head out their asses, stop whining about their toothbrushes costing sooooo much, I really see bad things happening to this country in the next four years & beyond.

On a little trivia note: as the show ended, PBS flashed an address to write to them in Boston Massachussetts(sp). On either side of my TV is a pair of Boston Acoustics speakers and sitting in the corner, a pair of "Smaller" Advent loudspeakers I bought at a resale shop last month for $10 that are awaiting new woofers (they are 29 years old). Both were built in Massachussets, Lynnwood and Cambridge, and looking at them I got a weird/nostalgic feeling......and it scares me that I am getting such a feeling.

How did we get into this situation dude? Why can't everybody see the mess were in???????

SobaViolence
11-16-2004, 10:57 PM
i'd answer you...but i read your sig and i now hate you.

please, stop listening to shitty music.

yeahwho
11-17-2004, 12:15 AM
Just finished the Frontline Wal-Mart episode. The only thing that worries me is this, have the majority of Americans just woken up and figured out what is happening? Does it take a show like this to spoonfeed the masses that we may have a conflict with our own beloved way of life?

There should be a National mandate for corporations like Wal-Mart, if your going to exploit on a level as large as this, you must fly the flag of the exploited, hence the Chinese Flag must be prominetly displayed next to the US Flag, just so we are absolutely aware of how unpatriotic Wal-Mart truly is.

The People's Republic of Wal-Mart,
The more you go, the less you get.

ASsman
11-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Heh, the self destruction of America will be fun to watch from a distance. Kind of like watching the USSR fall.

FunkyHiFi
11-17-2004, 12:15 PM

Um, isn't that kind of thinking just a bit on the shallow side?

I'm used to people dissing Rush since the early 80s when I bought my first Rush album, Signals, since such "extreme" music usually polarizes people. I stopped buying their albums after Roll The Bones--a decade and a half of such heavy music was enough, but I still admire the band & their talent, particularly Neil Peart's lyrics.

Such bands--along with Yes, Pink Floyd, Saga, Planet P Project, The Alan Parsons Project and a Chris Rea album (The Road To Hell)--definitely influenced my thinking on various societal issues & I'm not afraid to admit that.

I also have to give credit to certain sci-fi authors for helping me to see important cultural matters from different perspectives--these have aided me in trying to figure out issues such as the one being discussed in this thread. Among them are Lester Del Rey, Isaac Asimov, Raymond F. Jones, Arthur C. Clark, C.W. Kornbluth, Frederick Pohl, Ray Bradbury, and especially Robert Heinlein. They also helped me with my abstract thinking skills, something that helps tremendously when trying to figure out complicated issues........and a skill that I think a lot of fans of Wal-Mart are obviously not too familiar with. :(

Anyway, try to lighten up because not everything in this country or the rest of the world is totally screwed up.

Whois
11-17-2004, 12:21 PM

Those who know what's best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves

Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand

Ignorance and prejudice
And fear
Walk hand in hand

"Witchhunt" from Moving Pictures (1981)

I love Rush, because of lyrics like this.