PDA

View Full Version : Beasties on the Cover of Heeb magazine

Duce
11-15-2004, 09:19 AM
The most recent issue of Heeb (its published almost quarterly) has the Beasties on the cover... acting like the Jewish delinquents they are, playing dreydel for money in an alley and drinking some Manischevitz. Great cover, great photos inside and a good interview.

Fiorucci99
11-15-2004, 11:42 AM
The most recent issue of Heeb (its published almost quarterly) has the Beasties on the cover... acting like the Jewish delinquents they are, playing dreydel for money in an alley and drinking some Manischevitz. Great cover, great photos inside and a good interview.

This must have been the photo shoot we heard about a while ago...interesting, I can't wait to see it.
I have never heard of this magazine though. Can I get it at my local Barnes&Nobles?

austinstories
11-15-2004, 01:24 PM
you can order a copy here heebmagazine.com (www.heebmagazine.com)
anyone know where to pick it up in nyc?

b-grrrlie
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks Duce!

http://www.heebmagazine.com/images/magazine/issue7.jpg

How many pages is the article? Wondering if it's worth the $12.50 it costs to order it here. :rolleyes:

danielladrock24
11-15-2004, 02:22 PM
yeah $9.00 over here.. its worth it just for the cover, thanks a lot Duce.

danielladrock24
11-15-2004, 02:23 PM
haha nice sig wints

b boys
11-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Anyone know.... can you buy this in Chapters or Coles in Canada?

sarahvb
11-15-2004, 09:40 PM
In the meantime, there is a little bit of the article on the site, just an excerpt:

(excerpted from original article)We didn't think of the cover concept for this issue—The Beastie Boys did. When we arrived at the Long Beach Arena in California to photograph them, their publicist greeted us with mixed news. The bad news was that the Beastie Boys weren't digging any of our cover concepts. The good news was that they had spent the entire afternoon in the Fairfax District of Los Angeles scavenging for props for their own concept: delinquents in an alleyway playing dreydl instead of craps—a kind of Cooley High meets Welcome Back, Kotter.

The Beasties' latest album, To The 5 Boroughs, has been widely acknowledged as a return to the old school, a paean to their early days in New York. But one element is entirely new: what Ad–Rock calls the embracing of the “funky–ass Jew.” Though they never explicitly addressed being Jewish in their lyrics, it's always seemed to be part of their mystique: There was the classic song “Shadrach” about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, the three furnace–surviving Jews living under the rule of King Nebuchadnezzar from the Book of Daniel; Their confession that they ate shellfish on “B–Boy Bouillabaisse”; and the way that their Jewish surnames, Yauch, Horowitz and Diamond, remained part of their personas—coexisting alongside their hip–hop pseudonymns. Our proclivity to read Jewishness into their opus sometimes went to extremes. While the stoners played their Led Zep albums backwards in search of satanic messages, we decrypted “3MTA3” on the cover of an early album as verification of the rumor that the three had attended the Metropolitan Talmudic Academy in Washington Heights, N.Y., where as rumor had it, they were expelled for eating at White Castle.

It's because of the Jewish signposts sprinkled throughout their work that their latest album feels like a Rosetta Stone. Whether in call–outs to “hide the matzoh” or “holler back challah bread” or the couplet “the truth is brutal/your grandma's kugel,” the Beastie Boys are entering a new artistic stage, and pleasantly, it's not one they're shy discussing. I spoke with Adam Yauch and Adam Horowitz in the dining room outside their recording studio in New York, and Mike D by phone from Los Angeles, where he and his wife reside with their newborn baby. Over the course of our conversations, MCA showed me how to best simulate Borat's Jew–claw; Ad–Rock nominated Mix Master Mike as the Schwartz of the Month; and Mike D asked me how to say pimp in Hebrew.

pass_the_mic
11-16-2004, 03:23 PM
i bought mine at this news stand, i paid six dollars, it was worth that but i don't know about $12.50.

beastiegirrl101
11-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey I got mine for $7.50...worth every penny. ;)

sarahd
11-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Aw, you're just sayin' that... :o

EDIT: Oh, I found a bad one (http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=551561&postcount=2)! It's like something weird happened with the screenshot, so it's really not accurate anyway, but still... wow, I feel really stupid now, posting this.

Yikes, I think MCA looks worse than Mike D does........ face it, they all look good all of the time. Just a bad picture.

SpuffyRJ
11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Seems like a cool article (y) .

I' think that's a funny cover concept picture or whatever it's called. =).

Imagine that.. going in the alley of manhattan and seeking people playing dreidel for gelt :D

betaband
11-16-2004, 06:18 PM
i love that fact that even a jewish lifestyle mag spelled horovitz' last name horowitz. i bet even adam sometimes misspells it. :D

plutomama
11-16-2004, 11:47 PM
for posting this piece on the boys. i first heard about this cool kick ass mag in punk planet. i really want to find this & buy it!!!

Gabriely
11-17-2004, 05:13 AM
oh mama, mca is so damm hot! :eek:

STILL ON TOP
YEAH! (y)

liberty_a320
11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Ooh... here's a handy link to locate the nearest store that carries Heeb Magazine: Where to Find Heeb (http://www.heebmagazine.com/info/whereToFind.php)

Looks like I'm going to 1122 King Fort tonight. :D

Documad
11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I learn about the most narrow-marketed magazines from you people!

liberty_a320
11-18-2004, 04:15 AM
Photos from photographer Seth Kushner's online portfolio (http://www.sethkushner.com) :D:

http://www.sethkushner.com/bb1.jpg

http://www.sethkushner.com/bb2.jpg

http://www.sethkushner.com/bb3.jpg

cj hood
11-18-2004, 09:21 AM
awesome pix......but adrock's not wearin that hat correctly.........do they sell this mag in the states.....

Laver1969
11-18-2004, 11:02 AM
awesome pix......but adrock's not wearin that hat correctly.........do they sell this mag in the states.....

Hey CJ...they do sell the magazine in the states. I think there's a link in this post that tells you everywhere they sell it. I'm hitting up my local barnes and noble today.

cj hood
11-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Hey CJ...they do sell the magazine in the states. I think there's a link in this post that tells you everywhere they sell it. I'm hitting up my local barnes and noble today.

thanx boss

Pootytang
11-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Uh Oh, I found a place that sells this in my hometown. I am on my way to the store right now to pick me up a copy of that there magazine. :D

Laver1969
11-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Uh Oh, I found a place that sells this in my hometown. I am on my way to the store right now to pick me up a copy of that there magazine. :D

I got mine today. :)

Documad
11-18-2004, 11:55 PM
I buy a ton of magazines, but this was my first trip to the "Lifestyles" section of my local bookstore, and I would have never seen it but for the tip on this board. Only the "H" was visible. I hope that someone with a scanner buys it because it's not long, but it was really interesting to me.

Yauch discusses the snarky Spin article. I can't imagine what it would be like to give someone your time and then they pick a few little things to write about based on whatever their agenda is.

Yauch also sheds some light on the Interview article that was discussed in another thread. He says that Russell Simmons actually said something like "MCA, why don't you have a bitch?" and it was cleaned up. So Simmons was even more stupid than it appeared, and he totally deserved the criticism he received in that other thread.

Documad
11-19-2004, 12:28 AM
How come Yauch never tells us good shit like that? :D
I had the same thought! That Interview thread was begging for a comment.

When asked what happens when they run into Russell Simmons, Horovitz says, "Russell doesn't talk about things like the wife and kids. He talks about himself."

As for Spin, Yauch said the article made him mad. I dare not paraphrase. "It was snotty. He had this condescending tone, this rock journalist with a stick up his ass. He took things that we said in jest and put it into a serious context. I was driving and I saw him the other day and I wanted to roll down the window and call him a dickweed. I don't know why people have to belittle us."

Makes him human. Like when he posted on here (against his better judgment) to deny that he dyed his hair. I thought that was so sweet.

P.S. most of the rest of the article is just funny Q&A. But it's nice to have questions asked by someone who is either a fan or at least studied up at bit. And the Q&A format is always best for Beasties because it conveys the funny.

Documad
11-19-2004, 12:46 AM
It's so great that they can be so honest and forthcoming about that kind of thing. And yeah, isn't that just the impression we on the board got of these articles when they came out?
True.

My favorite thing is when the journalist doesn't even get that the Beasties are being funny, and prints a joke as if it's true. And I know I'm not the only one who can hear their actual vocal inflections when I read a written interview.

Documad
11-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Exactly! I was trying to think of an example and that's perfect!

stavkirke
11-19-2004, 02:10 AM
In the meantime, there is a little bit of the article on the site, just an excerpt:

Thanks Sarah. One part that was particularly amusing:

While the stoners played their Led Zep albums backwards in search of satanic messages, we decrypted 3M TA3 on the cover of an early album as verification of the rumor that the three had attended the Metropolitan Talmudic Academy in Washington Heights, N.Y., where as rumor had it, they were expelled for eating at White Castle.

If you hold your License to Ill album cover up to a mirror on the tail of the plane it says: EAT ME. I know it's not terribly dignified, but it was exactly the kind of thing that clever boys that age would do. I can't be the only person old enough to remember this from when the album was released...Anyone else? As a matter of fact, I would not put it past them to invent the academy story, as the White Castle reference is just too much of a punch line to be credible.

Raina
11-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Oh, I know its alot to do, but can someone put the article here? Pwetty Pweese! I can't find the mag we're I live and if I did.....I wouldn't have any any money to buy it with. :(

cubsfirstplace
11-22-2004, 12:26 AM
what kind of magazine is this? it looks strange

hyper space
11-22-2004, 12:33 AM
what kind of magazine is this? it looks strange

a jewish one. you know, the yuden.

plutomama
11-22-2004, 12:56 AM
oh mama, mca is so damm hot! :eek:

YEAH! (y)

hell yes!

check out the matzoh! love that pic!

jennyb
11-22-2004, 08:12 PM
I've been wondering this lately... what IS with Adrock's hat wearin' styles as of late??? :confused:

Fellner
11-22-2004, 08:21 PM
my very favorite magazine! I've never been so proud to be a jew. :D

whoomoi
11-22-2004, 08:24 PM
I need to get it! Those are such great pics!

Ashleigh
11-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Hey, can anyone scan that and put it on here??

I live in australia, so it is pretty much impossible for me to get it! :(

So if you get a chance, pelease post it on here. Thanks! :D

sarahvb
11-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks Sarah. One part that was particularly amusing:

While the stoners played their Led Zep albums backwards in search of satanic messages, we decrypted 3M TA3 on the cover of an early album as verification of the rumor that the three had attended the Metropolitan Talmudic Academy in Washington Heights, N.Y., where as rumor had it, they were expelled for eating at White Castle.

If you hold your License to Ill album cover up to a mirror on the tail of the plane it says: EAT ME. I know it's not terribly dignified, but it was exactly the kind of thing that clever boys that age would do. I can't be the only person old enough to remember this from when the album was released...Anyone else? As a matter of fact, I would not put it past them to invent the academy story, as the White Castle reference is just too much of a punch line to be credible.

BWAAAAH! I never knew about this. You just made me run to my CD case to grab LTI and hold it up to a mirror. There it is, clear as day! That's the biggest giggle I've had in a month - thanks, stavkirke!

kedar25
11-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Thank You Miramanee!!!

Raina
11-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Thanks alot!!!! :D

hotzappa11
11-23-2004, 05:48 PM
thanks very much :cool:

sarahvb
11-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Great article. Thanks very much for posting!

Blue Nun
11-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks Miramanee! What a great interview and the pics are priceless. I think I might have to go find me a copy. :D

alexandra
11-24-2004, 03:44 AM
Mike (about his mom); She’s part Lithuanian and part Hungarian.

Yauch: My mother’s side is Jewish. My mother’s father came to America when he was 3 years old from Galicia. They keep switching from Poland to being part of Austria …..

Horovitz: My father’s side is from Hungary.

i guess i find that interesting since i have relatives spread all over Europe.

SpuffyRJ
11-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting the article =).

Interview was awesome :D

plutomama
11-25-2004, 04:24 AM
what a great article, the pics are amazing! i really appreciate you posting this piece because i may not have had the chance to see it otherwise....i also think it's great for heeb to have featured the boys, it gives them more exposure!! take care mira!!

Gabriely
11-25-2004, 06:32 AM
thanks Miramanee....you are great....

Ashleigh
11-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks Miramanee!! That was great!!

Since I am in Oz, I doubt I would have seen it otherwise. You post the best articles!! Keep it up!

Lindsey_1535
11-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Ya that whole interview was pretty sweet

I always wondered about Horovitz being born in New Jersey I guess it’s not true after all

Lindsey_1535
11-29-2004, 07:53 PM
I don't know what you can believe. He could have been goshing with the journalist. Who knows?

In the end, it doesn't matter to me where he was born -- only that he was born. :D
I agree fully

gratitude
11-30-2004, 02:29 PM
did anyone else notice paul's boutique on the back cover of the mag? it's a shot of the corner at ludlow and rivington, which i have to say looks much more livelier than i remember, visiting there last april. kinda neat.

Fiorucci99
11-30-2004, 04:40 PM
• learning about D's gigantic estate in LA. It's nice to know that one of them owns property where a concert could be staged. :D

OH and you KNOW that would kick some serious ass dude!! OMG could you imagine?? Anyway, yea I also was kinda sad to hear Freddie died....poor little guy, he was cute too

jennyb
11-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Minor Threat mp3s on his cell phone AND he's scared to stay out in the pool house! Horovitz... yet again too adorable for words, I'm dying. And Freddy... :( *sigh*. What a refreshingly honest and open article from them. (y) And thanks YET again Miramanee. What would we do without ya?

SpuffyRJ
11-30-2004, 05:25 PM
We could use the pool house as a board members' meeting spot. :D

=D (y)

jennyb
11-30-2004, 09:43 PM
You'd probably be reading about what people's favorite shit is.

Ha ha, true. (even though I read that shit sometimes anyway :o )

...and hell yeah, count me in on the pool house!

SpuffyRJ
12-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks Miramanee.. i like that start =).

jennyb
12-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Maybe the only ONE of 'em that isn't married is cause he has the 'younger brother complex' :p

I know the reporter was doing the Jewish mother thing... the 'why aren't you married yet' question that I get all the time from a Jewish lady I work with. :rolleyes:

Lindsey_1535
12-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Yeah, it's a great article - I'm just surprised that such an obviously ardent fan would make such an obvious mistake... :confused:
I was confused at this too, I had to stop think about it then read it agian, I mean if he checked all his other facts why did he pass over that one??

rahntl
12-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Does anyone know what month of Interview the Russell Simmons article was published? Thanks!

SpuffyRJ
12-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Maybe he was lied to?

Maybe someone is lying to us?

Maybe I should lie down? :p

I thought it may've been a typo.. or like he said it backwards... but then again this guys is a writer.. I think he would check over his work.

Dr. Spock
02-15-2005, 06:30 AM
if you look closely at the back cover, you can see the pauls boutique corner

rahntl
04-28-2005, 06:25 PM
HAHAHAHA!
NICE!!
(y) :)