PDA

View Full Version : Use fast forward, go to jail

D_Raay
11-22-2004, 12:21 PM
http://www.nbc17.com/money/3930803/detail.html

A new bill before Congress may eventually have DVD-viewers thinking twice before fast-forwarding through the ads and previews.

The proposed legislation would make fast-forwarding through those ads illegal -- not only in theaters, but also at home, NBC News reported.

The bill allows technology that lets families edit out explicit scenes or material to track the DVD use. But broadcast companies have lobbied hard to keep commercials and movie trailers off limits.

"Their concern is if it becomes easy for people to skip ads, then their whole business model goes down the drain," said Gigi Sohn, of a consumer advocacy group called Public Knowledge.

See who really controls our legislative branch? The lobbyists do..

Qdrop
11-22-2004, 12:33 PM
yeah, that is complete fucking facism.

forcing people to watch your ads.......

within ten years, they'll have some kind of legislation forcing you to buy certain products (nike, microsoft) at least once a year or face prosecution.

phinkasaurus
11-22-2004, 01:16 PM
previews, yes.
commercials, no.

but making illegal to skip either is really orwellian.

Rosie Cotton
11-23-2004, 09:57 PM
previews, yes.
commercials, no.

but making illegal to skip either is really orwellian.
(y)

ASsman
11-23-2004, 10:06 PM
That's why the feds stole my fast-foward key. SHIT!

Also they can try all they want, whatever they come up with ,it will be hacked. It will be destroyed, they cannot stop it. There will always be those who oppose and defy this bullshit. It's inevitable.

"Their concern is if it becomes easy for people to skip ads, then their whole business model goes down the drain,"
Maybe they should have thought of that BEFORE they started. It's like blaming the year 2000 for (what was suppose to be) Y2k, instead of programmer's ineptitude... It was bound to happen, they just chose to ignore it. When the day finally came, they are all shitting their pants and lobying like some sort of Tobacco company.

Rosie Cotton
11-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Exactly how would they know that you skipped something?

ASsman
11-23-2004, 10:13 PM
They simply wouldn't let you. It would be 'hard-wired' in. Either with software or hardware, or both. Some already come that way, you cannot skip through Ads. Those really piss me off. But it only works that way on some DVD players I believe, some let me skip through them.

Rosie Cotton
11-23-2004, 10:38 PM
They simply wouldn't let you. It would be 'hard-wired' in. Either with software or hardware, or both. Some already come that way, you cannot skip through Ads. Those really piss me off. But it only works that way on some DVD players I believe, some let me skip through them.

Yeah, I've got a couple like that.