PDA

View Full Version : 5 Good Reasons To Give The Kinks A Spin

mickill
11-23-2004, 05:58 PM
1. pioneered both hard rock and brit pop (and according to some, laid the first real foundation for punk)

2. popularized, if not introduced, guitar distortion and rock's first heavy riff (You Really Got Me - 1964)

3. introduced eastern influences in their music before The Beatles or The Stones (See My Friends - 1965)

4. recorded the first Rock Opera album, Arthur (Or The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire) in 1969, but due to it's release being delayed, credit went to The Who's Tommy as the first

5. there is no 5th reason. 4 woulda been lame...i needed to say 5

DipDipDive
11-23-2004, 06:08 PM
The Kinks are really underrated in the grand scheme of things.

paul jones
11-23-2004, 06:26 PM
The Kinks are really underrated in the grand scheme of things.
absolutley!

everyone needs KINKS in their collection (y)

afronaut
11-23-2004, 06:40 PM
trent reznor supposedly loves the kinks.

so do i.

yeahwho
11-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I love Ray Davies, he is so charming. Muswell Hillbillies, A Well Respected Man, He's a dedicated follower of fashion, Victoria, Stop your Sobbing, Don't Forget to Dance (a song he wrote after the split from Chrissie Hynde), so many more.

I saw them live once and Ray knew the Seattle audience so well he stopped mid-song on "Don't Forget to Dance", and asked the crowd, "What else are you going to do on a rainy Saturday night in Seattle, Have a milkshake and onion rings at the Doghouse?" Then went right back to the song. Obscure, except to the the hardcorest of Seattlites, I smile every time I think about how great a night that was.

DipDipDive
11-23-2004, 07:07 PM
I love Ray Davies, he is so charming. Muswell Hillbillies, A Well Respected Man, He's a dedicated follower of fashion, Victoria, Stop your Sobbing, Don't Forget to Dance (a song he wrote after the split from Chrissie Hynde), so many more.

I saw them live once and Ray knew the Seattle audience so well he stopped mid-song on "Don't Forget to Dance", and asked the crowd, "What else are you going to do on a rainy Saturday night in Seattle, Have a milkshake and onion rings at the Doghouse?" Then went right back to the song. Obscure, except to the the hardcorest of Seattlites, I smile every time I think about how great a night that was.

Good story. :)

bobbydigital
11-23-2004, 07:18 PM
trent reznor supposedly loves the kinks.

so do i.

christ.

HEIRESS
11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
"well respected man" is my favorite track

I own two kinks albums

Documad
11-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Not a reason to love The Kinks, but Ray Davies was good in the movie Absolute Beginners, playing the father of the main character.

I'm not the biggest expert on the Kinks, but I thought he wrote State of Confusion while with Chrissie? At least, I heard Heart of Gold was the song he wrote about her.

Plus, didn't he run after a purse snatcher and get injured last year?

mickill
11-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Plus, didn't he run after a purse snatcher and get injured last year?

Yah, he got shot in the leg. And survived.

I'm sure that Shady/Aftermath tried to sign him afterwards.

Knuckles
11-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Yah, he got shot in the leg. And survived.

I'm sure that Shady/Aftermath tried to sign him afterwards.
(y) :D

adrockmelanie
11-23-2004, 10:43 PM
i liked em a lot when i was younger.

one of my favorite commercials ever was the one with the hot dude doll that came to pick barbie up for a date.. and she ditched ken like the skank that she is... and they played a song from the kinks in the background. i have no idea what it was a commercial for... kinky barbies.

edit: my sister said it was a nissan commercial.

Matt
11-24-2004, 04:24 AM
I got into the Kinks after I read that Pete Townsend got the "I Can't Explain" riff from a kinks song. Fucking glad I read that interview.

Rosie Cotton
11-24-2004, 04:41 AM
I got into the Kinks after I read that Pete Townsend got the "I Can't Explain" riff from a kinks song. Fucking glad I read that interview.

I believe The Kinks were also the reason The Who got Shel Talmy to produce their early records. I could be wrong though.

Matt
11-24-2004, 04:43 AM
I believe The Kinks were also the reason The Who got Shel Talmy to produce their early records. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, but didn't he pull a Phil Spector and steal the master tapes? I think he did and released "The Who Sing My Generation" without their consent. or maybe I made that all up. I'm tired and sort of confused.

Rosie Cotton
11-24-2004, 05:00 AM
I think it was "Substitute" that he released. I'm not sure. But I think he stole some tapes. I believe it was also his suggestion that Jimmy Page play lead on "I Can't Explain" and that irked Townsend. Understandable...but he seems to be easily irked.

drobertson420
11-24-2004, 07:49 AM
"One For the Road" Must Have.

I haven't listened to The Kinks in forever.
I didn't even know ther was a DVD of this album!!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000059MQL/102-3566574-9392966?v=glance

But I know now......

Teh
11-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Not that we needed 5 reasons, or any at that.

mickill
11-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Ok, I finally thought of a good fifth point:

The song You Really Got Me was also the first instance in which the word "fuck" appeared on a single. Right before Dave's guitar solo, Ray goes "Oh No", and Dave goes "Fuck off!!".

When Ray laid the vocal track, he was trying to cover it up with his "Oh No", but you can still hear it. It's difficult to hear it at first, but after awhile, you start to hear it and you can sing along to it and whatever, whatever. It's funny how it was never censored. But I guess it isn't entirely audible, anyways.

But there you have it; The Kinks had serious balls. boom.

Spanishbomb808
11-25-2004, 11:52 PM
The Clash ripped-off the riff to "All day and all of the night" in "1977."

And "1977" is a fantastic song (y)

Freebie
11-26-2004, 02:05 PM

True dat.

skinnybutphat
11-26-2004, 02:15 PM
1. pioneered both hard rock and brit pop (and according to some, laid the first real foundation for punk)

2. popularized, if not introduced, guitar distortion and rock's first heavy riff (You Really Got Me - 1964)

I heard Ike Turner took a break from slapping Tina around and stumbled on guitar distortion.

mickill
11-26-2004, 03:28 PM
I heard Ike Turner took a break from slapping Tina around and stumbled on guitar distortion.

Rocket 88 is usually credited as the first rock n roll song, but I think The Kinks' use of distortion was much more definitive. You may be right, though. I won't deny that Ike probably had it first.

But The Kinks really did poularize it, cos from there it was on. Even Jimi Hendrix asked Dave Davies how he got that sound. Plus, the riff from You Really Got Me influenced (literally) hundreds of other rock songs during the 60's alone and is still a massive influence today.

mickill
11-26-2004, 03:31 PM

True dat.

Next time I'll just go "Yay Kinks!" and let it build from there.

ms.peachy
11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
I really don't require any extra encouragement to listen to the Kinks; Greatest Hits is really never far from the stereo. I don't think the disc even gets put into the jewel box much. My favourite among all the absolute gems:

I won't take all that they hand me down,
And make out a smile, though I wear a frown,
And I won't take it all lying down,
'Cause once I get started I go to town.

'Cause I'm not like everybody else,
I'm not like everybody else,
I'm not like everybody else.

And I don't want to ball about like everybody else,
And I don't want to live my life like everybody else,
And I won't say that I feel fine like everybody else,

But darling, you know that I love you true,
Do anything that you want me to,
Confess all my sins like you want me to,
There's one thing that I will say to you,

I'm not like everybody else

Like everybody else,
Like everybody else,
Like everybody else,
Like everybody else.

If you all want me to settle down,
Slow up and stop all my running 'round,
Do everything like you want me to,
There's one thing that I will say to you,

Like everybody else (like everybody else),
Like everybody else.

Teh
11-27-2004, 05:48 AM
Next time I'll just go "Yay Kinks!" and let it build from there.

Sorry if i offended you there: It was the only way i felt i could show just how great i find them to be, with minimal typing. I wasn't taking a stab at you. You shouldn't be so snappy/sensitive.

Ferdinand_2
07-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Definitely The Kinks are my favourite group. (y)

zippo
07-17-2005, 04:30 PM
back when i first discovered the simplicity in the process of downloading, it became my obsession when The Kinks and T-Rex turned into my two favorite old british rock bands. T-Rex is better though, theyre sort of addicting.

mickill
07-19-2005, 01:10 AM
back when i first discovered the simplicity in the process of downloading, it became my obsession when The Kinks and T-Rex turned into my two favorite old british rock bands. T-Rex is better though, theyre sort of addicting.
Wait, hold on, pause. I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you again, man. As much as I love T-Rex, I just don't think they're on the same level as The Kinks. I mean, come on it's the Kinks.