PDA

View Full Version : Buy Nothing Day: Bitches.

ASsman
11-24-2004, 10:02 PM
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26 2004 IS BUY NOTHING DAY

Buy Nothing Day Action Pyramid
Click to view
Jammer groups
For 24 hours, millions of people around the world do not participate -- in the doomsday economy, the marketing mind-games, and the frantic consumer-binge that's become our culture. We pause. We make a small choice not to shop. We shrink our footprint and gain some calm. Together we say to Exxon, Nike, Coke and the rest: enough is enough. And we help build this movement to rethink our unsustainable course.

In its 13 years, BND has become a flashpoint, a day when people of all stripes come together in symbolic protest. Visit the new BND Action Pyramid for a sample of great ways to celebrate.

Need posters, clip-art, web banners, handbills, radio-clips or stickers? No problem. 2004 BND promotional goods are ready for download.

We've put together a radical new tool to keep Jammers connected: JammerGroups, city-based email networks. Join now.

We've also got news and reports from previous BNDs in our archive. Be in touch as your plans come together,

Happy jamming.

http://www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/

b-grrrlie
11-25-2004, 12:23 PM
I have had over 300 buy-nothing days this year. Can I skip this one?

ASsman
11-25-2004, 10:09 PM
That defeats the purpose, but whatever.

Ace42
11-25-2004, 11:49 PM
I have had over 300 buy-nothing days this year. Can I skip this one?

You have only shopped on thirty days of this year? That is an average of 2.7 times a month. You must go out of the house nearly as infrequently as me.

yeahwho
11-26-2004, 11:05 PM
at one time my people did not need to buy. There were buffalo as far as the eye could see. One buffalo would provide meat for whole family for days. White man killed all the buffalo, now Son of Ironchief gets meat from Slim Jim he buys at Plaid Pantry.

I think people believe Adbusters is trying to make a political statement by this day. It is a cultural change they are after... having consumers stop and think. Many Americans would rather shop and not think than make real change.

I used to buy Adbusters a few years ago, when it was interesting, and when it cut to the point especially with those satirical fake ads. Then it got thicker and thicker, glossier and glossier, and more obscure until I didn't even know what the hell I was supposed to be angry about. Which is a shame, because I think they're message is more important than ever.

I watch my co-workers work like dogs during the week, spend their weekends in the mall, and then compare what they bought every Monday. Is this what passes for a life... a perpetual cycle of working, buying, and bragging? No thanks. Shopping is not entertainment to me, it's a necessity to be taken care of as rarely as needed, and as quickly as it possible.

Is it still ok to buy a copy of Adbusters today? ;)

Lindsey_1535
11-28-2004, 09:58 AM
We had a few adbuster mags in our english class they were pretty cool shit

b-grrrlie
11-28-2004, 04:32 PM
You have only shopped on thirty days of this year? That is an average of 2.7 times a month. You must go out of the house nearly as infrequently as me.
It means that I don't have much money, and I've realized I don't need that much new stuff....

QueenAdrock
11-28-2004, 04:51 PM
I bought nothing on Friday.

Though lord knows I tried. Some fucker took my $500 notebook computer, which I NEED for school because I can't go on writing on sheets of notebook paper at work and transferring it to the computer when I get home.

Oh wait. Me and Wayne actually did buy a lot more RAM for his computer. $10, normally $60.

Hey, so sue me. I love capitalism. :)

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 06:11 PM
I tried. I really tried. I went to the mall just to laugh at the people who were going crazy, and, well, there was a sale at the book store. Buy three get one free, plus I had a five dollar voucher. I couldn't help it. But at least it wasn't crowded. Because literacy is bad, you know.

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Buy Nothing Day? That's bullshit man. :p

That Friday it was my birthday party (Monday is my actual b-day) and me and my homies were buying shit left and right (movie tickets, beer, chicken wings, more beer, tequila, Malibu, beer, etc.).

That's how I roll, bitches. ;)

QueenAdrock
11-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Attn: DroppinScience
Happy Birthday! Send me your Malibu.

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Happy Birthday! How old will you be?

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks QueenAdrock! Thanks Rosie Cotton! :)

I'm gonna be 22 years old tomorrow. Jeez, I'm starting to get old. :( :p

Feels like only yesterday that I was a fresh-faced 19-year-old who discovered beastieboys.com in the autumn of 2002!! :eek:

And Queenie, the Malibu is on the way. Now where is my Corona? :)

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm gonna be 22 years old tomorrow. Jeez, I'm starting to get old. :( :p

Ahh, I'm 22. October 2. I'll send you some booze too, what would you like? I've got Mickey's and tequila, take your pick.

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh, cool! We're the same age. :)

I'll take a Mickey's, please. :D (y)

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Okay, a Mickey's it is. Good thing, too. I just remembered that my mom stole my tequila. :mad:

QueenAdrock
11-29-2004, 06:08 PM
And Queenie, the Malibu is on the way. Now where is my Corona? :)

It's in your fridge. I slipped it in there when you weren't looking. Go see for yourself.

*runs off*

DroppinScience
11-29-2004, 06:33 PM
It's in your fridge. I slipped it in there when you weren't looking. Go see for yourself.

*runs off*

*checks out fridge* Hey, there ain't no Corona in here! All I see is... apple juice put in a pseudo-beer bottle with a handwritten label saying "Cah-rona."

What's the big idea?!?!? :mad: *runs after QueenAdrock* :p