PDA

View Full Version : Kerry clutches to hope of recount victory

D_Raay
11-28-2004, 03:35 AM
I'm telling you guys it's not over yet, I have a feeling,instinct, if you will, that this will end up somewhat like 2000. I just hope it's just this time.

http://www.northcountynews.com/view.asp?s=11-24-04/news5.htm

A White House spokeswoman told North County News last Friday that citizens should embrace the Election Day results and dismiss recount efforts in Ohio that could hand Democratic Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts the presidency.

"The election has ended, and now is the time for the country to come together to address the challenges our nation faces," the spokeswoman, Suzy DeFrancis, remarked.

Bush won Ohio by a vote of 2,796,147 to John Kerry's 2,659,664, according to the official tally.

In a series of e-mail interviews with North County News two weeks ago, Kerry spokesman David Wade spoke about recount efforts led by a team of 17,000 lawyers that could trigger the removal of President George W. Bush from office.

Since then, under mounting pressure from alternative media outlets as well as progressive voices outside the Democratic Party, Kerry issued a statement to his supporters that left open the possibility that he could obtain--through a recount--the requisite electoral votes to seize the White House.

"Regardless of the outcome of this election, once all the votes are counted--and they will be counted--we will continue to challenge this administration," Kerry said through a web-exclusive statement and video Friday, which, curiously, was not distributed to the press.

The usage of the word 'regardless' in the carefully parsed statement was the first indication Kerry has offered that, in his mind, the official election results might be inaccurate enough to tilt the election in his favor.

Wade was e-mailed the remarks from the White House spokeswoman.

"Any president of the United States should make it a priority to count every vote in our country because every citizen's full faith in the democratic process is critical," Wade responded yesterday (Tuesday). "That's why John Kerry and John Edwards built a voter protection team of lawyers around the country, lawyers who are today monitoring recounts and the counting of provisional ballots including Ohio and New Mexico. Every vote will be counted, and we Democrats aren't afraid to fight to protect voters' rights."

A Kerry victory in Ohio would give the senator enough electoral votes to seize the White House.

In another signal the Kerry/Edwards team is increasing its involvement in the recount effort, a note was posted on the campaign website yesterday that called on supporters to contribute to the Kerry-Edwards 2004 General Election Legal and Accounting Compliance Fund.

"The Federal Election Commission has just granted our request to raise funds now to cover recount expenses," the website states. "Your contribution to Kerry-Edwards 2004 GELAC will provide the resources to make sure we are prepared to win the post election day battles."
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/V/VOTING_INVESTIGATION?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=POLITICS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Thousands of complaints have poured in to Congress and appeared on Internet sites about problems with the elections, the Democrats said.

In make-or-break Ohio, where Bush won 20 electoral votes, voters cast 155,337 provisional ballots. They are under review by state elections officials, who count them if registration is confirmed. About 78 percent of the ballots counted so far have been deemed valid.

Meanwhile, election officials in two Ohio counties have discovered possible cases of people voting twice in the presidential election, and a third county found about 2,600 ballots were double-counted.

Groups checking election results have overwhelmed Ohio county boards of election with requests for information, and a statewide recount of the presidential vote appears inevitable after a pair of third-party candidates collected enough money to demand one.

Other examples of problems cited by Conyers and other House Democrats:

-In Columbus, Ohio, an electronic voting system gave President Bush nearly 4,000 extra votes.

-An electronic count of a South Florida gambling ballot initiative failed to record thousands of votes.

-In Guilford County, N.C., vote totals were so large that the tabulation computer didn't count some votes, and a recount awarded an additional 22,000 votes to Democrat John Kerry.

-In San Francisco, a glitch in voting machine software left votes uncounted.

-In Youngstown, Ohio, voters who tried to cast ballots for Kerry on electronic machines saw their votes recorded for President Bush instead.

-In Sarpy County, Neb., a computer problem added thousands of votes to the county total. It was not clear which presidential candidate benefited from the error in the overwhelmingly Republican state.
There's more read the whole article.

http://mparent7777.blog-city.com/read/929990.htm

On Sunday, November 28, the Reverend Jesse Jackson will speak in Columbus, Ohio to publicly voice his support for the Ohio recount and other challenges to the controversial Ohio vote. Rev. Jackson will be speaking at the Mt. Herman Baptist Church on 2283 Sunbury Road in Columbus at 3:30 p.m. For more information, read the press release.

"Voter suppression and intimidation is a civil rights issue. Jesse Jackson is the perfect person to bring these concerns to a wider audience and we welcome his participation," said David Cobb, whose campaign has been leading the charge for the Ohio recount. Cobb has been joined in the recount demand by Libertarian candidate Michael Badnarik.

Meanwhile, on November 23rd, a federal district judge denied our request to expedite the recount process. Our legal team is considering our response to the ruling and our next course of action. If the ruling stands, the recount will proceed on the schedule dictated by the Ohio Secretary of State's office. Mr Blackwell is currently stating certification will not take place until December 6th.

Here is a press release [pdf] describing the court proceedings. In the interest of full transparency, read the court documents yourself: the Motion [pdf] for a Temporary Retraining Order (TRO), Complaint [pdf] by the Green Party and others requesting the recount, and the Brief [pdf] supporting the request for a Preliminary Injunction.

David Cobb of the Green Party and Michael Badnarik of the Libertarian Party are represented by John Bonifaz, General Counsel of the National Voting Rights Institute, and Ohio attorney Nancy Holland Myers. A November 17th Cobb-Badnarik letter to Ohio Secretary of State Blackwell said that the lack of a meaningful recount will violate Ohio recount law, as well as, "the rights under federal and state constitutional and statutory law of all Ohio citizens who cast a ballot for President on Election Day….. Immediate action is necessary so that the recount procedures may begin as soon as possible."

"This is consistent with our standing up for the right to vote and for each vote to be counted. What's the point of having a recount if it won't be completed in time? Everyone knows what happened in Florida in 2000 and no one wants to see that happen again," said Blair Bobier, Media Director for the Cobb-LaMarche campaign.

Press coverage in Ohio and around the nation has been growing steadily, as voters realize that the recount is moving forward. Local papers covering the story include the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Toledo Blade. National coverage has been seen in papers as far away as Los Angeles (the Los Angeles Times), Philadelphia (the Philadelphia Inquirer), and northwest Alabama (the Times Daily).

Thanks to the generosity of thousands of small donors coast-to-coast, we raised $250,000 toward the costs of the recount. $113,600 has gone out the door already to pay the State of Ohio for the recount costs, and we now have staff on the ground in Ohio. We’ll be mobilizing thousands of volunteers to observe the hand recount in all 88 counties.

We still need volunteers to come to Ohio for the next few weeks to make this recount happen. Students, seniors, anyone with vacation time - you all are welcome. All political parties and independents are welcome. Anyone who wants to preserve democracy in America is welcome. See you there!

Read our letter of November 17th demanding a recount.

Read the November 19, 2004 response letter from the Ohio Secretary of State's Office [pdf].

HOW IS MY MONEY BEING SPENT? The first $150,000

The money raised on www.votecobb.org was directly responsible for this recount process moving forward. We needed to have the $113,600 filing fee in the bank in order to start the legal process of trying to expedite the recount.

Other monies raised as part of the initial $150,000 have paid for re-hiring staff, travel fees to visit Ohio to hear testimony from voters and work with local organizations on the ground, the numerous conference calls needed to pull the logistics together, the increased web capacity to handle the thousands of inquiries and donations and other general operating expenses.

BUT WHY DID YOU ASK FOR MORE?

Our first goal was to make sure the recount could go ahead. We didn’t want to raise more money until we were certain the minimum needed was raised.

The next round of costs will go toward mobilizing volunteers on the ground in Ohio, paying for certain transportation and lodging costs, and providing training to the many volunteers who will be coming to help make sure every vote is counted in Ohio. We set an initial goal of $100,000 for this effort, and, with the help of thousands of donors, met that goal by our deadline.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO HELP?

We need over 2,000 volunteers to make this effort a success. In addition to recount observers, we are looking for County Coordinators in each of the 88 counties.

Your donations have made this effort possible, so please ask your friends and family to help. It doesn’t matter who you voted for. This is a non-partisan effort, headed by two presidential candidates with differing views on politics, but with a united desire to make sure that all votes are counted.

If you can spare the time, please come to Ohio! It looks like the action will be taking place in early December, but nothing is certain. If you cannot go, consider sponsoring a family member or a local college student. More details can ne found on our Volunteer Page!

Finally, please raise your voice – loudly! - in support of democracy. Write to your local newspapers. Call in to television and radio talk shows. Help to turn the tide away from acceptance of an election that had numerous irregularities in every state in the union. No matter who raises his hand to take the presidential oath on January 20th, we must work to be sure that a viable democracy is in place in 2006 and beyond. Please join us!

http://www.votecobb.org/

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Nah... Ukraine will have a fair election before the U.S. returns to true democracy. :(

Besides, I'm now living in a blissful world where Conservative assholes in Alberta are all demoralized and us liberals are dancing in the streets. Definitely takes the depression of the U.S. election away. :D

Rancid_Beasties
11-28-2004, 04:08 AM
Nah... Ukraine will have a fair election before the U.S. returns to true democracy. :(

Besides, I'm now living in a blissful world where Conservative assholes in Alberta are all demoralized and us liberals are dancing in the streets. Definitely takes the depression of the U.S. election away. :D

Why did the democrats even allow electronic voting to be used? Whats wrong with the old card system? We still use it in Australia and we've never had an election be clouded with claims of fraud and counting errors. This has happened twice in a row, why are democratic Americans letting this happen. If it did happen in Australia, radical university students alone would create big enough rallies to shock the government into action. Why isn't this information being communicated to other countries, I mean we had to put up with 2 weeks of your stupid election, including the entire vote count being televised on every channel. Now we are being told that Bush is in no matter what. If there is a possibility still of a Kerry win, why aren't we hearing about it?

D_Raay
11-28-2004, 04:25 AM
in Alberta are all demoralized and us liberals are dancing in the streets. Definitely takes the depression of the U.S. election away.

Must be nice. And what are you depressed about? You live in Alberta (where I will soon be) and get to relax every once in a while.. I haven't relaxed in 4 years.

D_Raay
11-28-2004, 04:28 AM
If there is a possibility still of a Kerry win, why aren't we hearing about it?
Well, alot of people are asking that very question here, but the major media outlets here are corporate owned and heavy contributors to the Bush campaign. We are lucky we have the internet or this wouldn't even be an issue. It's a true case of us against them with them having all the power and money. I applaud the Ukrainian people for having the balls that we apparently do NOT have.

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 04:50 AM
Why did the democrats even allow electronic voting to be used? Whats wrong with the old card system?

Yeah, we still use paper ballots in Oklahoma. It works fine. The only problem is they don't check ID. They don't even look at your voter registration card! I tried to hand mine to the woman who gave me my ballot and she said "Oh, I don't need to see it. You gave us the correct information." That information? My fucking address!

Rancid_Beasties
11-28-2004, 05:54 AM
This is why everybody should have to vote, even if they just put down a vote for neither candidate, which is what you can do here. That way you can actually see who has voted, who hasn't, and you get a fine if you dont. No need to register to vote because everybody is registered when they turn 18. They also are really tight on checking your ID here when you vote, so theres no chance of people voting more than once.

chromium05
11-28-2004, 06:26 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4048965.stm

Thier government has refused to accept the vote and it looks highly likely that they will have a totally new election.

Hopefully, although I doubt it, the US government might look at it's own flaws too.

infidel
11-28-2004, 11:23 AM
If there is a possibility still of a Kerry win, why aren't we hearing about it? Because the demonstrations and riots that would ensue would make the Ukraine look like nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the media is operating under orders from Homeland Security.

QueenAdrock
11-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah. Bush supporters have guns. Lots of guns.

Also, as of now, Kerry no longer has his secret service men.

paulk
11-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Ugh.

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Must be nice. And what are you depressed about? You live in Alberta (where I will soon be) and get to relax every once in a while.. I haven't relaxed in 4 years.

Alberta, eh? Fitting choice, since that is THE most American region of Canada. ;)

I was depressed because of the defeat of Kerry and the fact that Conservatives have completely dominated this Alberta government. Now that Alberta had its own election and so many Conservatives were tossed out (keep in mind, it's still a resounding majority, but we elect dynasties in Alberta... for the ruling party to go from a one-party state to a healthy opposition is quite something in and of itself), I can be happy.

If the Conservatives whooped our asses in Alberta as well as America, I'd probably be mopey for quite some time. ;)

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Americans are too lazy to riot over an election. They have christmas shopping to do....and reality shows to Tivo.

What do you think Tivo is for? We record the reality shows so we can watch them after we riot. Granted we only seem to riot at sproting events.

Rancid_Beasties
11-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Because the demonstrations and riots that would ensue would make the Ukraine look like nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the media is operating under orders from Homeland Security.

Yeah conspiracy theories rock!!! My grandpa tells me that every single sporting event is rigged, but only because his teams always lose, like its some conspiracy against him. I think the rest of the world needs to face the facts that America is a barren wasteland full of republican conservative evangelicals/born agains, and those who are opposed to the Bush regime in America have no voice anyway. I highly doubt that Kerry, even if a few votes were messed up, could come anywhere near Bush given the enormity of his lead.

ASsman
11-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Can you point to parts of that article that state Kerry gives a shit?

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm telling you guys it's not over yet, I have a feeling,instinct, if you will, that this will end up somewhat like 2000. I just hope it's just this time.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel something too. Sick. Cause it's not gonna change. We are going to be stuck with Bush. Sorry.

infidel
11-28-2004, 09:41 PM
Do not think for one moment Kerry isn't behind the scenes doing everything to nail this fraud down. If you think that you know nothing about the man.
Kerry has taken on these bushwads before, and never backed down, what makes you think he is now?
Because he is quiet about it?
Because he is building his case out of the public eye?
Don't be fooled by John F Kerry. He is not the fool the clown in the White House is, he is not fooled about how cunning and dangerous rove and cheney are. No one knows this cast of characters better than jfk. Just because he has left us out of the loop does not mean anything, Kerry has trained his whole life to be on public display. No good prosecutor presents their case until they have it nailed down and produces it like good theater. There will be no mistakes by Kerry on this one. If he has the goods we will find out soon, if he can't nail it without holes he will be unstoppable until he plugs every hole and takes this bush cartel down.
Remember, Kerry is a fighter and a very smart one.

ASsman
11-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Kerry has taken on these bushwads before, and never backed down, what makes you think he is now?
There is nothing to lead to believe that he is. Even if he is "building his case out of the public eye". I still think he didn't try his hardest... I mean c'mon you know how easy I could roast Bush? Jesus Christ, just read Osamas latest speech... Totally roasted his ass. Kerry should take some pointers. (of course the whole looking like a hypocrite part is holding him back)

Yet incapable of beating a (officially) retarded candidate.

But this is looking it from my standpoint, that being that neither canidate should be running for the presidency.

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Do not think for one moment Kerry isn't behind the scenes doing everything to nail this fraud down. If you think that you know nothing about the man.
Don't be fooled by John F Kerry. He is not the fool the clown in the White House is, he is not fooled about how cunning and dangerous rove and cheney are. No one knows this cast of characters better than jfk. Just because he has left us out of the loop does not mean anything, Kerry has trained his whole life to be on public display. No good prosecutor presents their case until they have it nailed down and produces it like good theater. There will be no mistakes by Kerry on this one. If he has the goods we will find out soon, if he can't nail it without holes he will be unstoppable until he plugs every hole and takes this bush cartel down.

Hey, I hope that recounts prove he won. I don't think I could handle living here, stuck with Bush again. But Bush stole it before. You don't think he could do it again? The Supreme Court helped him out last time, I'm sure if it comes down to it they'll do the same thing. It's not gonna get better any time soon.

59 Chrystie St.
11-28-2004, 10:38 PM
There is nothing to lead to believe that he is. Even if he is "building his case out of the public eye". I still think he didn't try his hardest... I mean c'mon you know how easy I could roast Bush? Jesus Christ, just read Osamas latest speech... Totally roasted his ass. Kerry should take some pointers. (of course the whole looking like a hypocrite part is holding him back)

I heard Alex Jones in an interview with PJ Watson say something to the effect that, Bin Laden has been dead for years and he has been frozen, just waiting for the right moment to show his dead body. That's what a lot of researchers thout would happen on Halloween, instead we got that video. Weird huh ?

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 10:46 PM
Alex Jones is a nutcase. :rolleyes:

59 Chrystie St.
11-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Alex Jones is a nutcase. :rolleyes:

You think? He is kinda nutty, true, but he's passionate and does his research. By the way, Alex Jones is someone who said that Kerry's royal blood is thicker than Bush's royal blood and Kerry would win because of this. So maybe there is hope still for Kerry to win. Who knows? Who cares ?

Rosie Cotton
11-28-2004, 11:03 PM
You think? He is kinda nutty, true, but he's passionate and does his research. By the way, Alex Jones is someone who said that Kerry's royal blood is thicker than Bush's royal blood and Kerry would win because of this. So maybe there is hope still for Kerry to win. Who knows? Who cares ?

Sounds like a nutcase to me.

59 Chrystie St.
11-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Sounds like a nutcase to me.

It's all true though if you reasearch it, they are cousins, from the same College fraternity, and they're both related to Dracula and Princess Diana.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Well if Kerry's royal line is so much thicker... WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T HE WIN!!!!!!!!

Thanks for nothing, Alex Jones. (n)

59 Chrystie St.
11-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Well if Kerry's royal line is so much thicker... WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T HE WIN!!!!!!!!

Thanks for nothing, Alex Jones. (n)

I agree (y) But if you read the beginning of this thread it mentions something to the effect that Kerry is still trying for a recount victory, so I thought this might somewhat pertain to the thread, ya know.

Jones' new mission now is exposing Arnie, in attempts to prevent the changing of the Constitution, which would allow the Running Man to run for the Presidency. Ever seen Demolition Man ?

DroppinScience
11-28-2004, 11:35 PM
I saw the movie ELEVEN YEARS AGO (cool movie), but yeah, I just perused Jones' site and he showed the clip where they talked about Arnie becoming president (and they amended the constitution to do so). Didn't remember that scene.

Very interesting moment, but I find it retarded how Jones attempts to insert his own commentary about the clip (coincidence or was it pre-planned? Come on, Jones, just let the clip speak for itself... SURE, Sly Stallone was behind the Arnold presidency all along and he sent the message in a throw-away action flick... I'm not stupid, Jones :rolleyes: )

Why don't you save it until they actually DO make the amendment, then you can prove they planned it all along. ;)

59 Chrystie St.
11-28-2004, 11:43 PM
I saw the movie ELEVEN YEARS AGO (cool movie), but yeah, I just perused Jones' site and he showed the clip where they talked about Arnie becoming president (and they amended the constitution to do so). Didn't remember that scene.

Very interesting moment, but I find it retarded how Jones attempts to insert his own commentary about the clip (coincidence or was it pre-planned? Come on, Jones, just let the clip speak for itself... SURE, Sly Stallone was behind the Arnold presidency all along and he sent the message in a throw-away action flick... I'm not stupid, Jones :rolleyes: )

Why don't you save it until they actually DO make the amendment, then you can prove they planned it all along. ;)

I think that's part of the reason I like Alex Jones is because he is so passionate and spazzes out. I laugh just as much as I find his stuff amusing. When he starts yelling at the viewers, is the best. I'm outta here, stay up. (y)

DroppinScience
11-29-2004, 03:19 AM
But things like that just take away his credibility.

Anyone who theorizes that throw-away jokes or strange coincidences in pop culture implies some sort of grand plot is only going to make me roll my eyes.

What's he going to do next? Start showing clips from "Back to the Future" (where Doc Brown asks Marty: "Who is President in 1985?" "Ronald Reagan!" "What? The actor? Who's Secretary of State, Jerry Lewis?!?") and tell me this was some sort of pre-planned conditioning to let an actor be President. :p

Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. ;)

drobertson420
11-29-2004, 07:28 AM
I heard Alex Jones in an interview with PJ Watson say something to the effect that, Bin Laden has been dead for years and he has been frozen, just waiting for the right moment to show his dead body. That's what a lot of researchers thout would happen on Halloween, instead we got that video. Weird huh ?

"Weekend At Osamas"

ASsman
11-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Hmm.. Thanks for not responding to my post I guess.