PDA

View Full Version : Boycott XM Radio

Marlene
12-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Apparently, ClearChannel is the number 2 shareholder of XM! Bought in hugely over a year ago and influences the programming. Perhaps this is why my friend's techradioshow got "asked" to go off the air....they were told to clean up their language, etc. and they did not.

At any rate, Sirius seems the way to go....bonus for broadcasting Air America and not having fucking ClearChannel dictate their programming.

valvano
12-01-2004, 10:13 PM
XM also has Air America, even though I do not listen to it.

Both XM and Sirius have big chunks of stock owned by radio media. So your arguement holds no water.

:D

ASsman
12-01-2004, 10:44 PM
XM also has Air America, even though I do not listen to it.
Weird, either they won't for much longer or they don't care. Think not enough people listen to it to give a shit, or maybe it's just a ploy.

Both XM and Sirius have big chunks of stock owned by radio media. So your arguement holds no water.
That part of it yes. Fuck the Radio, fuck the FCC.

Marlene
12-02-2004, 07:19 AM
I might be mistaken, but I do not think XM has Air America. It wouldn't be the first time though if I was wrong... I know they have XM Right and XM Left...

What huge media conglomerate owns a large portion of Sirius? I'm curious.

valvano
12-02-2004, 07:30 AM
it may not be called air america, but it appears to have all the same shows as air america:

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=167

xm radio is awesome. i got it for the acc football/basketball, but i havent listened to am/fm since installing it in my suburban except to listen to local news.....

ASsman
12-02-2004, 08:07 AM
It is the same thing... But why is it called America Left? Was what Air Americas choice? (I highly doubt that). Maybe FOX News should be called America Right, no pun intended.

Qdrop
12-02-2004, 09:06 AM
First off, AirAmerica rocks.......even though i disagree with half of what they say...
but they are funny as hell.
i'm listening right now!!
rochester is the only other city in New York (along with NYC) that gets it!!

well, there is always internet streaming.

and howard stern is going to Sirrus.....so i'll be getting that next year for sure.

FunkyHiFi
12-02-2004, 04:00 PM
Three years ago when XM first started broadcasting, and knowing how sneaky certain corporations are, I went to XM's website and in one of the back pages was a list of "strategic partners". And you guessed it, there was Clear Channel in that list. That instantly made me suspicious of the entire organization & it's future.

Not all corporations are full of assholes so corporate sponsorship isn't always a bad thing, but Clear Channel is near the top of my most-hated list as far as the music industry goes and will always distrust anything they involve themselves in.

A perfect example: two weeks ago they took one of Houston's oldest rock radio stations, 101.1 KLOL, off the air and replaced it with a Hispanic-oriented format. Nothing wrong with that kind of music but it was the WAY they changed formats: with no warning whatsoever, at 10:00am all of a sudden the new format kicked in. No goodbyes from the staff, nothing. Asshole corporate suits! KLOL has been here for thirty four fucking years!! The CC rep said that by doing it this way, the changeover would be smoother or something like that. Yea right. I bet the real reason was they knew thousands of people would be pissed off & would raise a huge fuss over this, which to me and many others was a purely finanacially-motivated decision. Yes, I know radio stations are a business but they are also made up of PEOPLE so for crissake, how about some kind of basic consideration for those people and all their fans???

34 years, just turned off like it was nothing.

The station came on the air in 1970, and left the air, playing the song "I'm Free" by The Who. At least they had a little bit of proper closure.

Here's the Houston Chronicle story:

"KLOL suddenly speaking Spanish Venerable rock station switches to a new format." (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/ae/music/2898407)

On their Web site, Walton and Johnston announced that they were informed of the change "by lower-level management sources via a last-minute phone call" on Thursday night.
What a cowardly way to tell someone they lost their jobs.

Jeezus all this glorification of money & giant profits is eating away at so much of our culture. It's sickening.

Ace42
12-02-2004, 04:01 PM
but what a way to go.

ASsman
12-02-2004, 04:36 PM
AYAYAY CORAZON!

yeahwho
12-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Radio is about .00001% of my entertainment. The radio done fucked themselves out of my ears years ago.

Ace42
12-02-2004, 05:13 PM
The radio done fucked themselves out of my ears years ago.

Video killed the radio star.

infidel
12-02-2004, 06:33 PM
No wonder Howard Stern signed up with Sirius.
Both Sirius and XM carry Air America