PDA

View Full Version : US a deficit state living on borrowed money

D_Raay
12-03-2004, 01:32 PM
http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=106527

DUBAI, Dec 2 (Bernama) -- Former Malaysian Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has described the United States as a deficit state living on borrowed money and which owes huge sums of money to the rest of the world.

"If people do not keep giving money to the United States, it will go bankrupt," Dr Mahathir told Dubai newspaper "Gulf News" in an interview that was published Wednesday.

He said the American giant had "feet of clay" and its biggest weakness was the dollar.

Dr Mahathir said Malaysia had avoided losses to its foreign exchange reserves despite the decline in the value of the dollar by building its euro and gold holdings.

"Why are we clinging to the US dollar when we know we are going to lose money?" Dr Mahathir asked.

He said countries opposed to the "bullying" by Washington should use the dollar to force a change in American policies.

Dr Mahathir said Muslim and Arab leaders could use their oil wealth and economic clout to "prevent the kind of bullying that happens in the world".

He suggested that these countries should refuse to accept dollar payments for their exports and insist on being paid in, for example, the euro or yen.

"There are countries which can literally defy the United States and get away with it. (They) can say `we are not dealing with the US dollar. If the United States wants to buy our oil it must pay in euros or yen'," he said.

But such a decision would require political will, the former prime minister told the newspaper when he was in Dubai on a short visit on Tuesday.

"There is a way of doing things, but if you do not have the will the best way of doing things will not happen," Dr Mahathir said.

On the question of democracy in West Asia, Dr Mahathir said the region was not yet ready for democracy.

"Democracy is a process that took Europe almost 200 years to work out. To tell a country that tomorrow you must be democratic is really to destroy that country," he said.

Dr Mahathir criticised the presidency of George W. Bush, saying the United States is the country that needs better leadership.

"We know that his policies have increased the number of people involved in terrorism. Before, the Iraqis were not prone to tying bombs to their bodies and blowing themselves up. A lot of things which were not there before are now very common because of these policies. And he is going to go on like that because he thinks he's right," Dr Mahathir said referring to the ongoing bloodshed in Iraq.

"Americans voted Bush in because he frightened them into thinking they were about to get attacked," he said.

Dr Mahathir said British Prime Minister Tony Blair was using similar tactics to create fear among the British people.

"Now Blair is reporting that there is a plan to attack London very much along the same lines as the attack on 9/11. This idea of frightening people is becoming rampant now," he said.

On the Palestine problem and America's overwhelming support for Israel, Dr Mahathir said: "There was a time when Americans were very level-headed. Now we have a different leadership in America and this leadership is totally in the service of Israel. And that is what is leading us away from solutions."

He said the isolation of the late Palestinian president Yasser Arafat by both Bush and Israel leader Ariel Sharon did not help the cause of peace in West Asia.

"Making Arafat out as a terrorist involves a denial of facts because Sharon kills more people than Arafat. So if you want to call Arafat a terrorist call Sharon a terrorist. Arafat was fighting for the things that were taken away from him. Sharon is fighting in order to take what belongs to other people," Dr Mahathir told the paper.
---

The US Government has borrowed more money than it can repay. The interest alone now exceeds all the income tax paid by every American. Congress keeps raising the debt ceiling and Bush keeps borrowing more money to spend on his cronies in the name of "waragainstwhatever". You have only one decision to make; to allow yourself to be dragged down with the government or to stop throwing good money after bad, cut your losses, and let the government collapse all by itself. Because if you think about it, were you to continue to make the sacrifices the government wants to keep itself going, what would you get for it? More of what you have NOW, invasions of privacy, no rights, groped at the airports, and pills forced into your kids until they are ready to die in endless wars.

Ace42
12-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Ride the crest of the wave out of there. Seriously, get out while the getting is good. You won't be able to afford to get out when the dollar crashes.

D_Raay
12-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Ride the crest of the wave out of there. Seriously, get out while the getting is good. You won't be able to afford to get out when the dollar crashes.
Is it that serious you think Ace? I am hoping the sanity will return to the Government. Well, what little we had to begin with.

Ace42
12-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I am predicting a second "great depression."

The same mistakes are being made, and the goodwill of the rest of the world keeping the US solvent is rapidly running dry.

And what with the erosion of civil liberties, etc, I can't think of a good reason to stay.

D_Raay
12-03-2004, 01:45 PM

The same mistakes are being made, and the goodwill of the rest of the world keeping the US solvent is rapidly running dry.

And what with the erosion of civil liberties, etc, I can't think of a good reason to stay.
Yeah you're probably right. Alberta is looking like a reality.

Whois
12-03-2004, 01:47 PM

Civil unrest is always a time for reflection...then go shoot some fuckers.

It's the American way...

Qdrop
12-03-2004, 02:46 PM
that's it....i'm buying another gun.

ASsman
12-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Im saving my cash in a off-shore account. In Euros.

yeahwho
12-03-2004, 05:55 PM
tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick (http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/) tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

Whois
12-03-2004, 06:12 PM
What ever happened to tock? Is he in rehab??

Ace42
12-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Tock went bankrupt.

Rosie Cotton
12-03-2004, 10:24 PM

How's the job market in jolly old England, Ace?

Ace42
12-04-2004, 06:37 AM
Us leftie shirt-lifting commies don't worry about these things.

Rancid_Beasties
12-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Are there any countries protected from the collapse of the us dollar though?? I mean most countries have a fair amount invested in the US currency...the knock on effect will fuck up the whole world not just America. Not to mention what would happen if the Americans declared bankruptcy on their foreign loans...Where can you flee if the whole world is fucked??

Ace42
12-04-2004, 07:57 AM
It's a good point, and the knock on effect of the main great depression was felt the world over. However, numerous countries have already started moving their wealth into hard assets and out of the currency market. Due to the high interest and the length of the investment, a lot of countries have already recouped the value of their intial loans (specifically places like Swiss banks, rather than the Saudis who are a lot more heavily invested in US infrastructure AFAIK) so if the US defaults, then it merely means the cash cow runs dry, rather than they actually lose money that they need.

If the US DOES start defaulting on loans, it can say goodbye to being a super-power. Can't be a super-power with a bad credit rating, just look at the USSR.

The US is gonna have to start making calls to "ocean finance" etc.

yeahwho
12-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Gold is a good indicater of the US dollar value, if it goes up, confidence in the US dollar is going down. It was $460 dollars yesterday, it's been really moving up since GWB took office again in Nov. chart (http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/au0365nyb.gif)

Paul Nice
12-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey look - a post about how GWB or America sucks. How suprising and original.

adam_f
12-04-2004, 05:09 PM
How many times you gonna say that? That's the third I've seen.

Paul Nice
12-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Just to every thread that is about how GWB or America sucks. I'm illustrating the point that the automatons on this site who regurgitate trendy, shallow political diatribes they don't fully grasp are narrow minded obsessive phonys.

Ace42
12-04-2004, 05:46 PM
You're illustrating the point that no matter how much evidence is provided that George Bush or America sucks, you are going to dismiss it as being "populist trendy America bashing."

Look, face it, your president and your country is very very shit. Most of your countrymen (including you) don't appreciate this, so people are gonna keep pointing it out until dipshits like you get it.

What there to be no more threads criticising your president or country? THEN STOP BEING SO SHIT. It's just that easy.

Don't like it? Then shut the fuck up and go post on an "everything is fine, business as usual" board. There are plenty of places for yanks to be complacent and self-congratulatory, go there instead of disrupting (and you are disrupting, and you are NOT making a point) serious posters.

ASsman
12-04-2004, 05:49 PM
SPAMALOT!

I guess if you say it enough times people will listen.

Paul Nice
12-04-2004, 05:51 PM
You're illustrating the point that no matter how much evidence is provided that George Bush or America sucks, you are going to dismiss it as being "populist trendy America bashing."

Look, face it, your president and your country is very very shit. Most of your countrymen (including you) don't appreciate this, so people are gonna keep pointing it out until dipshits like you get it.

What there to be no more threads criticising your president or country? THEN STOP BEING SO SHIT. It's just that easy.

Don't like it? Then shut the fuck up and go post on an "everything is fine, business as usual" board. There are plenty of places for yanks to be complacent and self-congratulatory, go there instead of disrupting (and you are disrupting, and you are NOT making a point) serious posters.

Ace42
12-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Oh look, a bullshit post by Paul Nice where he sticks his head in the ground (read: his ass) and goes "nahnahnahnah" with his fingers in his ears.

How surprising and original. And not at all retarded, infantile and ignorant, oh no.

Rosie Cotton
12-04-2004, 06:11 PM

Hey look-a post where Paul Nice says something stupid. How surprising and original.

Ace42
12-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Why don't you tell us why GWB or America is great

He has done. He listed a collection of mediocre movies, many of which were produced by or written by non-Americans. And then a collection of authors and inventions, many of which were again, not American.

If that doesn't rigorously prove that America is a superior nation, and all others are merely wannabes, I don't know what does!

LOL, ROFL, etc etc.

Rosie Cotton
12-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Woo hoo...Go Team America, fuck yeah!

Rancid_Beasties
12-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Woo hoo...Go Team America, fuck yeah!
That has to be the funniest movie since baseketball :D Its amazing how a puppet spewing for 2 minutes can get so many laughs. Comic timing to the max (y)

ASsman
12-04-2004, 10:43 PM
I would say the worst.

Rosie Cotton
12-04-2004, 10:55 PM
That has to be the funniest movie since baseketball :D Its amazing how a puppet spewing for 2 minutes can get so many laughs. Comic timing to the max (y)

Baseketball was overrated. Which is really saying something, because I think everyone panned it.

Rancid_Beasties
12-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Baseketball was overrated. Which is really saying something, because I think everyone panned it.
Well, i dont really care what you guys think cos i like it :p

Rosie Cotton
12-04-2004, 11:36 PM
So, how long does everyone think it will be before the market completely collapses?

Rosie Cotton
12-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Well, i dont really care what you guys think cos i like it :p

Eh, everyone likes stupid movies.

Rancid_Beasties
12-05-2004, 03:36 AM
Eh, everyone likes stupid movies.
You gotta get stupid every now and again to avoid depression from all the facts you guys bombard me with :D

Rosie Cotton
12-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Haha! True. If you want stupid check out the live action He-Man movie. Wow.

GreenEarthAl
12-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Today's currency rates:

British Pound in US $ 1.9431
Canadian Dollar in US $ 0.8396
Euro in US $ 1.3440

Nevermind the man behind the curtain. There's nothing to see here. Please go to your home and shut yourself in and watch the judge shows on television. Judge Brown will take your pain away.

SobaViolence
12-05-2004, 02:35 PM
do you hear that? *flushing noise*

that`s America riding out it`s manifest destiny.

goodbye Union, hello Anarchy.

Rosie Cotton
12-06-2004, 04:35 AM
It's already happening. The dollar won't stop falling and the price of oil won't stop going up.

Today's currency rates:

British Pound in US $ 1.9431
Canadian Dollar in US $ 0.8396
Euro in US $ 1.3440

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okay, let me rephrase: how long do you think it will be before it's too late to get the hell out of here?

Rancid_Beasties
12-06-2004, 04:46 AM
Nevermind the man behind the curtain. There's nothing to see here. Please go to your home and shut yourself in and watch the judge shows on television. Judge Brown will take your pain away.
Judge Joe Brown, GEA, Judge JOE Brown :D

synch
12-06-2004, 04:51 AM
Okay, let me rephrase: how long do you think it will be before it's too late to get the hell out of here?
I got a mental image of confused border patrols watching us citizens flee to mexico :)

It's never too late to get out of Hell.

Never too early either ;)

GreenEarthAl
12-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Judge Joe Brown, GEA, Judge JOE Brown :D

Sorry. I don't have a working television.

infidel
12-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Enough of the gloom and doom.
The rest of world will hurt just as much from a collapse of the US economy, they won't have anybody to sell their shit to. It's in their best interests for the US economy to be healthily even though most would like to see the US punished for bush's lame-brained methods.
What will probably happen is countries with strong currencies will devaluate their own currency to match ours.
This is exactly what Reagan did to the US dollar when our currency became too strong and the rest of the world couldn't afford to buy our shit.
Not the right way to do things, better to balance the budget, but it is a way out.

Ace42
12-06-2004, 11:58 AM
No-one to sell stuff to? China, the third world?

Ace42
12-07-2004, 07:33 PM
http://www.theonion.com/infograph/index.php?issue=4049

ASsman
12-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Enough of the gloom and doom.
The rest of world will hurt just as much from a collapse of the US economy, they won't have anybody to sell their shit to. It's in their best interests for the US economy to be healthily even though most would like to see the US punished for bush's lame-brained methods.
What will probably happen is countries with strong currencies will devaluate their own currency to match ours.
This is exactly what Reagan did to the US dollar when our currency became too strong and the rest of the world couldn't afford to buy our shit.
Not the right way to do things, better to balance the budget, but it is a way out.
Many smaller animals will take our place on the food chain.

Whois
12-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Oh look, a bullshit post by Paul Nice where he sticks his head in the ground (read: his ass) and goes "nahnahnahnah" with his fingers in his ears.

How surprising and original. And not at all retarded, infantile and ignorant, oh no.

Cut a hole in his belly so he can see where he's going...

little j
12-08-2004, 10:24 AM

im thinking it'd be very difficult for him to put his fingers in his ears and say "nahnahnahnah" if his head is in the ground (or his ass for that matter)

Ace42
12-08-2004, 10:30 AM
And you think the "head inserted in rectum" is the EASY part?

little j
12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
hahaha