PDA

View Full Version : US troops sue over tours in Iraq

D_Raay
12-06-2004, 04:24 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4072467.stm

Several US soldiers are going to the courts in an effort to stop the US army extending their tours of duty in Iraq.

With US forces stretched by deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan, many units have been ordered to stay on longer than originally expected.

Soldiers have been kept abroad even if the date they were due to leave the army has passed.

A lawsuit challenging the policy is expected to be filed on Monday in a federal court in Washington.

Lawyers for the men have teamed up with the Center for Constitutional Rights, a liberal public interest group, to launch a class action lawsuit calling for an end to the practice known as "stop-loss".

The plaintiffs say thousands of service personnel have been kept in Iraq and Afghanistan beyond their discharge or retirement date.

Last week the Pentagon announced that several units would have their tours in Iraq extended to cover the elections due in January.

One of the men involved in the lawsuit, Arkansas National Guardsman David Qualls, told the New York Times: "My job was to go over and perform my duties under the contract I signed.

"But my year is up and it's been up. Now I believe that they should honour their end of the contract."

Fear of retribution

The newspaper says there are eight plaintiffs, but that Mr Qualls is the only one willing to reveal his name.

The others are reportedly referred to in the lawsuit as "John Doe" numbers one to seven.

They apparently fear retribution if they reveal themselves, including more dangerous postings in Iraq.

They include a military bandsman, ordered to Iraq to play music.

The army says its stop-loss policy is vital to ensure its forces on the ground are familiar with their environment.

"If someone next to you is new, it can be dangerous," army spokeswoman Lt Col Pamela Hart told the New York Times.

"The bottom line of this is unit cohesion. This way, the units deploy together, train together, fight together and come home together."
---
Grrrr, this is the problem, TOO many of them don't make it home at all. If they have served and avoided serious injury or death and fulfilled their commitment , why the hell should the military deny them their rightful escape?

Whois
12-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Here is a little hint: The brass don't give a shit about the troops.

100% ILL
12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Well, there was this major downsizing in the early nineties, and now it's oh snap! There's a war on we need more troops, and the President has stated there will be no draft forthcomming, so the only alternative is to keep the troops they have. I'm sure there would be a massive coming home celebration for thousands of troops in a few months if a draft were instituted........We'll see

ASsman
12-06-2004, 05:12 PM
I say GO DRAFT. A citizens army is what this country needs. Also, funny how you decide to sue the Devil after you have sold him your soul.

100% ILL
12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Well considering that technically the Government can hold you in service to some degree for, eight years I belive, Yes 18-26yrs of age; they may not have a legitimate argument. However this case will not in any way fix the problem which is of course lack of troops, so does anybody feel that the draft is a viable option?

Echewta
12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Like people who signed up didn't know this could happen? When you join the military, you might go to war. Maybe its just me.

Whois
12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
BUTCHERED TO MAKE A DUTCHMAN'S HOLIDAY
by Harry Morant

In prison cell I sadly sit,
A d__d* crest-fallen chappie!
And own to you I feel a bit-
A little bit - unhappy!

It really ain't the place nor time
To reel off rhyming diction -
But yet we'll write a final rhyme
Whilst waiting cru-ci-fixion!

No matter what "end" they decide -
Quick-lime or "b'iling ile," sir?
We'll do our best when crucified
To finish off in style, sir!

But we bequeath a parting tip
For sound advice of such men,
Who come across in transport ship
To polish off the Dutchmen!

If you encounter any Boers
You really must not loot 'em!
And if you wish to leave these shores,
For pity's sake, DON'T SHOOT 'EM!!

And if you'd earn a D.S.O.,
Why every British sinner
Should know the proper way to go
Is: "ASK THE BOER TO DINNER!"

Let's toss a bumper down our throat, -
Before we pass to Heaven,
And toast: "The trim-set petticoat
We leave behind in Devon."

*damned?

(At its end the manuscript is described - The Last Rhyme and Testament of Tony Lumpkin)

First published in The Bulletin, 19 April 1902.

Qdrop
12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Like people who signed up didn't know this could happen? When you join the military, you might go to war....

yep!

especially considering they did the same thing during the Gulf War.
no surprises here....

D_Raay
12-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Like people who signed up didn't know this could happen? When you join the military, you might go to war. Maybe its just me.

Well, sure they knew. But they also thought when they signed up for a year, that it would be a year. Some of these guys have had their tours extended twice. Wouldn't you be a little disconcerted if you thought your obligation was met and you were getting back to your family, only to have your tour extended?

100% ILL
12-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Well, sure they knew. But they also thought when they signed up for a year, that it would be a year. Some of these guys have had their tours extended twice. Wouldn't you be a little disconcerted if you thought your obligation was met and you were getting back to your family, only to have your tour extended?

Disconcerting, yes, but the wonderful thing about the military is when you join you are part of the organization for at least eight years. If you sign up for a four year enlistment and complete it and "get out", you are placed in Inactive ready reserve status (IRR) until the end of the alotted time. Technically speaking they can call you back at any time during that period. Sad but true.
I don't think the reservists have a legitimate case.

GreenEarthAl
12-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Recruiters lie.

Often.

100% ILL
12-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Recruiters lie.

Often.

They just don't tell the whole truth