PDA

View Full Version : Title IX and the feminazis--more hyprocrisy from the politically-correct crowd

FunkyHiFi
12-08-2004, 11:50 PM
This is an issue that has affected sports at the college level in a very fundamental and quite destructive manner but it seems few people know about it. Due to whatever reason, most corporate and left-leaning news outlets don't report on it & as we know, unless a light is shined on issues such as these they continue to fester and get worse.

And while sports may seem a trivial thing to some while all these other problems exist around us, normal life still goes on and needs to be paid attention to so we can maintain a solid mental/spiritual foundation from which to battle those other larger problems ("spirit" being used in whatever way you see fit). And for many, many people sports have taught them positive life and personal lessons that no classroom could ever teach, lessons that get passed on to others in classrooms, living rooms, business offices, etc, etc.

Title IX was a law enacted in 1972 to help eliminate the academic gap between males and females by providing equal opportunities for both sexes in public schools >>> opportunities is the key word in that phrase--try to remember it as you read on. But eventually the militant feminists, people obsessed with political correctness and other narrow-minded folk twisted this law into an unfair and very unrealistic quota system.

In other words, the feminazis main weapon in their war against men is this: if a school's overall student population has, say, 60% female students, then the same school's percentage of athletes also must be 60% female. But as anyone with a half-way objective thinking process knows, many less women are as interested in sports as men are. So this seemingly fair by-the-numbers system ignores reality and is actually completely UNfair to men.

But what about all those traditionally mostly-female activities at school--why aren't THEY being forced to admit men to gain the proper male/female proportions??? Only silence on the feminazis' part and the part of the college administrators that give in to the shrill/vindictive whinings of the militant feminists & their lawyers.

The following post was copied from USAWrestling's Title IX forum because mens wrestling is one of the sports hit hard by this twisted interpretation of that law, and because it is a sport I myself am involved in. Since 1972, @414 mens college wrestling teams have been eliminated due to Title IX & this destructive practice is still going on right now. And for many other mens sports the numbers can be even higher. The forum the following post (I originated the thread itself) originated from contains lots of other infuriating information, much of it provided by one member ("BDD67") who IIRC is a lawyer himself but is also a fan of wrestling.

And now it looks like high school sports may be subjected to the same phoney quota system, a chilling thought.

"Short-n-sweet Title IX explanation?" (http://thematforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40174)

USAWrestling's Title IX info page (http://www.themat.com/articles/showfaq.asp?fldAuto=21)

posted by Eric LeSher

Here is a adaptation of a great article written by someone else which does a great job of explaining it.

There are Two Title IX's

How can it be? How can Title IX be praised as the reason for all that is right in women's sports, and simultaneously be criticized as the most destructive force ever unleashed on college athletics? The answer is obvious and logical ª when it comes to sports in US schools, there are two Title IX's. Not two sides of the same coin, not good intentions accompanied by unintended consequences, but two distinct Title IX's with very different impacts. Unfortunately for our children, parents, and schools Title IX #1 is out, and Title IX #2 is in.

Title IX #1 was passed in 1972 by a congress that wanted to outlaw sex discrimination in our schools. Simply stated, less than 50 words, its passage reflected an evolving society that wanted to ensure that no doors would be closed to females in our educational programs.

Title IX #2 was created by a regulatory bureaucracy seven years later. Title IX #2 is actually a collection of regulations devised by the US Department of Education. Title IX #2's most important aspects were: 1) Unlike the vast majority of civil rights law regulations it was never presented to, debated in, or approved by congress. 2) It functions as a strict quota law.

When it came to sports, Title IX #1 was much more effective in spirit than in law. At the time legislators first debated and passed the measure, school sports were not even on their radar screens. The driving concern was the male-female academic gaps in areas like admissions and college faculty positions. But regardless of congressional intent, the idea that females should have an opportunity to experience the benefits of competitive athletics was one whose time had come. Parents, educators, and school boards implemented girls interscholastic sports programs in their local schools quickly and enthusiastically. The strongest evidence of this success is the data provided by the National Federation of State High School Associations ª 294,015 female athletic participants in US high schools in 1971, and 1,854,400 female athletic participants in 1978 (a 631% increase in 7 years).

Title IX #2 was created in 1979 by eager bureaucrats and policy advocates after, not before, this explosion in girls' high school athletics. Title IX #2 was not strongly applied during the Reagan and Bush administrations (1980-
1992). However, Clinton's Office of Civil Rights appointee Norma Cantu has a led a vigorous enforcement of Title IX #2 for the last 6 years.

Title IX #1 is what people understand is being applied when they see schools treating female athletes equally. It is an expression of our sense of fair play and commitment to educational excellence. Title IX #1 is the Title IX that most people want to believe is being credited when, in the media, it is connected to a female athletic success.

Title IX #2 is the law that tells schools they are going to be in the crosshairs of attorneys, outside activist groups, and federal investigators as long as they do not have equal numbers of male and female athletes. Title IX #2 is what gender-quota advocates are defending when they connect Title IX to women's athletic success.

Title IX #1 does not punish females for outnumbering males in the verbal arts (theater and debate), music (chorus, band, and orchestra), dance and the vast majority of other extracurricular activities.

Title IX #2 singles out the only major extracurricular activity where males outnumber females ª sports ª and creates an enormous financial and legal incentive to eliminate male participants.

Title IX #1 demands equal opportunities for those who demonstrate the talent and desire to excel, regardless of sex.

Title IX #2 causes state-supported colleges to eliminate male programs in sports that have hundreds of thousands of high school participants, and add programs in sports such as women's hockey, precision skating, women's rowing, and equestrian which have small or no constituencies. All to simply satisfy a quota.

Supporters of Title IX #1 would find offensive the practice of schools eliminating talented, deserving, costless, non-scholarship athletes from a team simply for the purposes of meeting a quota. Supporters of Title IX #1 would say it is senseless to decide that the number of males who will be allowed to play will be limited to the number of females who wish to play. These supporters would say that there is no difference in principle between those practices and going into a collegiate dance program that has 80% females and demanding that they drop the majority of these women so that they equal the number of men participating.

Supporters of Title IX #2 say taking teams away from boys is simply the price of equality ª and males must experience pain after a history of privilege and preference.

Title IX #1 is what congress originally intended, equal opportunity for boys and girls without mandating equal outcomes.

Title IX #2 is the abuse of males at the hands of callously indifferent gender-quota-in-sports-only advocates.

There is overwhelming evidence that Title IX #2 is wreaking havoc on collegiate and high school teams. Right now over 50% of the sports teams in our NCAA schools are female, but because males come out in greater numbers they make up 61% of the athletes. We have lost 20,000 male sports opportunities in the last decade. It is undeniable that continuing with the quota interpretation of Title IX #2 will be disastrous for the males that have not already been slashed.

It was proven in the years before Title IX #2 was created that female sports opportunities could be provided fairly without resorting to gender-quotas. We have ample evidence that a considerable amount of senseless destruction comes with gender-quotas in our school sports. We only need one Title IX. Which do we want?

Rosie Cotton
12-09-2004, 12:03 AM
But what about all those traditionally mostly-female activities at school--why aren't THEY being forced to admit men to gain the proper male/female proportions??? Only silence on the feminazis' part and the part of the college administrators that give in to the shrill/vindictive whinings of the militant feminists & their lawyers.

You mean home ec, right? Because that's an elective. In fact, it seems like the "feminazis" would actually want more boys in home ec. They would be up in arms about classes that they see as trying to turn young girls into housewives.

FunkyHiFi
12-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Rosie,

(from the post I cut/pasted above):

Title IX #1 does not punish females for outnumbering males in the verbal arts (theater and debate), music (chorus, band, and orchestra), dance and the vast majority of other extracurricular activities.

Does that make better sense? I don't know all the details of this hairy issue myself. :(

Jasonik
12-09-2004, 01:07 AM
Supporters of Title IX #2 say taking teams away from boys is simply the price of equality ª and males must experience pain after a history of privilege and preference.
Sad but true.

FunkyHiFi
12-09-2004, 01:31 AM
Sad but true.

Do you truly understand HOW those people are figuring out what is "equal"?

Being vindictive does no one any favors & doing so simply generates bad feelings in the people that have never treated women unfairly.

FunkyHiFi
12-09-2004, 01:58 AM
To clarify one very important point:

Title IX was written to make sure OPPORTUNITIES for women athletes were available at schools, not that athletic programs had to be 50% male and 50% female.

In other words, if a survey was done using all the female students on a specific campus and it was found that 11.3% of them wanted to be on a sports team, then the school would have to provide enough money, equipment, coaches, etc for that many females. That is all.

Jasonik
12-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Just creating role models for future demand. ;)

Rosie Cotton
12-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Football and cheerleading are hardly equal....cheerleading is much harder. Yeah, poor boys.

paulk
12-09-2004, 10:05 PM
G.W. Bush was a cheerleader, so he must be a pretty tough guy.

Rosie Cotton
12-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Yeah, he was a cheerleader when it was still a pussy sport. Plus girls have to do the more difficult stunts. We are the ones who are thrown in ten feet in the air. :(

Rosie Cotton
12-09-2004, 10:12 PM

Again, you are talking about electives. Classes that many boys don't want to take. Especially boys in middle America, where Title IX seems to have the biggest impact. And, again, wouldn't the "feminazis" as you so loving call them actually want more boys to join classes that promote the female stereotype?

FunkyHiFi
12-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Sports are also strictly voluntary, just like a classroom elective.

But that hasn't stopped militant feminists from suing the hell out of hundreds of colleges to "fix" them.

I know you won't like this, but me and many others don't believe that, technically-speaking, cheerleading is a sport. Cheerleading is supposed to be about building up the crowd, not obstructing the fan's view of the football or basketball game with needlessly dangerous stunts. It's really just a form of gymnastics so they need to come up with another name for it.

Who fucking cares about sports?
I'll quote myself here in answer to this one:

"And for many, many people sports have taught them positive life and personal lessons that no classroom could ever teach, lessons that get passed on to others in classrooms, living rooms, business offices, etc, etc."

Some of those lessons are:

* Being able to work with others toward a common goal, something many kids these days know little about since all these particular ones ever seem to think about is themselves & what can other people--and Life in general--do for THEM. So many of these kids whine about how they should just be given somethjing simply because they want it. Fuck that--they need to get up off their butts and work for it themselves.

* Teaching oneself their own personal limits, their physical ones but more importantly, their mental limits. Not knowing these limits is what gets a lot of people in trouble in other areas of their lives. And they give a sense of perspective to other endeavors: after a 2 hour wrestling practice, when I left with my clothes literally dripping wet & feeling like a worn-out rag doll, doing my graduate studies homework at the time, or looking for a job like right now is a breeze--I can longer use the excuse that they are "difficult" things to do because I know there are other things much more taxing that I survived.

* building close ties to your teammates, partly from working with them as previously mentioned and partly because you have shared experiences with them (difficult practices, trips to other states together, winning/losing together, etc). I'm not the only one who has noticed many kids are very self-centered these days--and not the just the "rich kids"--and myself and others I talk to wonder if it's because of this constant emphasis on doing your own thing, no matter what anyone else thinks. Unfortunately, what we do almost always has an effect on others--in a planet/country/town/family sense--so this me, Me, ME attitude that's currently all the rage doesn't really work in the long-term. And particpating in (most) sports show this to be true.

* and their are many people who relatively speaking just have better skill with their hands and feet then with pencils or a keyboard, so they should be given the opportunities to express those skills. That doesn't mean they are stupid or a "dumb jock"--it's just that they like being on a field better than inside a room somewhere. And don't tell me you don't know of a musican, artist, or other similar person that isn't really, um, on the ball as far as world politics, computer software, English literature etc goes. And a lot of highly educated people I have met seem to have no common sense whatsover or seem to be very out of touch with everyday reality, so they end up wasting much of that knowledge because they can't apply it correctly to a given situation in that real world.

BTW: if you do enough research on this subject, one will realize why I use the term "feminazis" so much. The women (and quite a few men too) are so incredibly nasty and unfair about this issue it's the only name that fits.

Sorry, but women and men are not the same.

FunkyHiFi
12-09-2004, 11:57 PM
And: Feminazis don't want to promote the female stereotype--on the contrary, they want to do the exact opposite. This means trying to prove women are exactly the same as men--which is total bullshit--and make us mean men pay for all those years of oppression that we supposedly all agreed upon in a huge dark backroom somewhere.

So the "make things fair for everyone" concept is just a politically-correct smokescreen for the public so they won't catch onto these creeps' real agenda.

yeahwho
12-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Who fucking cares about sports?

I have to admit that is a great statement. (y)

The $$$$ taken in by the NCAA from Television, Radio, Clothing and Merchandising is just fucking amazing. That and then you have ticket revenue and parking, blah, blah, blah....it's big business. Like selling drugs.

I am not opposed to all this, but I'm not turning a blind eye on the money, because believe me, either is the NCAA, who are not beneath hanging around Jr. High Schools checking out talent.

yeahwho
12-10-2004, 01:46 AM
And: Feminazis don't want to promote the female stereotype--on the contrary, they want to do the exact opposite. This means trying to prove women are exactly the same as men--which is total bullshit--and make us mean men pay for all those years of oppression that we supposedly all agreed upon in a huge dark backroom somewhere.

Hey, it's the new math. Women make up 50.9 % of the population of the US, yet they are considered a minority group. So when men overcome them and regain numbers, we'll be able to re-vote ourselves into a minority group. We're lagging by just a few million......that damn fuzzy logic.

Rosie Cotton
12-10-2004, 01:49 AM

So the "make things fair for everyone" concept is just a politically-correct smokescreen for the public so they won't catch onto these creeps' real agenda.

But if making everything equal was such a big deal, don't you think that they would actually try to get more boys into traditionally female classes?

Rosie Cotton
12-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Sports are also strictly voluntary, just like a classroom elective.

But that hasn't stopped militant feminists from suing the hell out of hundreds of colleges to "fix" them.

Maybe they were suing the hell out of these colleges because the schools were using unfair practices. I don't know the specifics of each case. I can only speculate. But I am fairly sure that if there wasn't something wrong, and they just wanted to butch up a bunch of high schoolers, they would try to get teenage boys in home-ec or drama.

I know you won't like this, but me and many others don't believe that, technically-speaking, cheerleading is a sport. Cheerleading is supposed to be about building up the crowd, not obstructing the fan's view of the football or basketball game with needlessly dangerous stunts. It's really just a form of gymnastics so they need to come up with another name for it.

Uh-huh. Gymnastics is a sport. And most people who don't consider cheerleading or gymnastics sports are either armchair athletes or football coaches.

BTW: if you do enough research on this subject, one will realize why I use the term "feminazis" so much. The women (and quite a few men too) are so incredibly nasty and unfair about this issue it's the only name that fits.

Yes, I understand why you said it. And I do agree that there are some feminists that seem intent on turning men into second class citizens. But that's a relatively small group. And I have heard the term "feminazis" used in reference to women who just want equal pay for equal work. Besides, it would have more impact if you didn't use it in every other sentence.

Sorry, but women and men are not the same.

Nope, we aren't. Never said that. That's why girls don't play on boys basketball teams.

FunkyHiFi
12-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeahwho:

When I talk about sports, I'm talking about sports.

Not the NCAA; not the thousands of pseudo-students walking around college campuses who are there simply to play a sport to generate revenue for that school; and definitely not all those overpaid crybabies in the NFL, NBA, etc.

My last shred of respect for the NCAA evaporated when last year, while the Division I wrestling finals were going on, they had their lawyers threaten several respected wrestling websites. Why? Because people with cell phones at the matches were calling in scores from the matches & the scores were being put up on those websites. What a petty-minded thing for the NCAA to do! Scumbags.

FunkyHiFi
12-10-2004, 04:11 PM
But if making everything equal was such a big deal, don't you think that they would actually try to get more boys into traditionally female classes?

Well, I guess I'm just going to have to come out and say what a lot of us think about this: They only want things equal when it's conveinent for them. And they don't want males intruding into areas that women are into. You do know there are all kinds of examples of where a boy wanted to join a traditionally female team like volleyball or field hockey & this request was soundly rejected? The first thing they usually say is boys are larger and they will hurt the girls on the opposing team or his extra strength is an unfair advantage.

This is called being a H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E.

But when it comes to girls being on a boy's team, oh my, it's a different situation. Colleges and high schools have been threatened many times with legal action if this isn't done. Never mind that one female in the middle of all those bigger males has a very good chance of getting hurt simply from the physics of that situation (i.e. 99% of the guys wouldn't purposely try to hurt her; the weight and strength differences would be to blame).

Honest-to-God personal example of some "girl power" hypocrisy: a couple of years ago when I was helping out with a high school wrestling team that included girls, about ten girls tried out for the team at the beginning of the season. They all made it, but a funny thing happened afterwards. Except for four of them, during practice the other six barely tried to do the drills and were basically just sitting around yakking. Understandably the coaches were getting upset with this but they were careful not to complain too much. Then suddenly, these six girls all quit the team. The team captain, a senior, told me he heard from his girlfriend these girls had said they had never had any intention of being a wrestler--they just wanted to prove they could get onto the team. :mad: I can't prove this but I'll bet they were inspired by those women that caused that huge fuss & forced themselves into The Citadel, an all-male military school, then quit a week later.

All this stuff can found on the Net.

Gymnastics is a sport.

Yes it is. And it's also one of the sports that has been eliminated at many colleges because of Title IX quotas, IIRC at an even higher rate than wrestling teams.

............cheerleading............

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cheerleading) defines this as "To lead organized cheering, as at sports events." That's it.

And to use an extreme example of why it bothers lots us male chauvinist pigs :) to see cheerleading being called a sport, when do we start having the concession stand jobs turned into a sport? Standing there for hours serving people in a hot enviroment, picking up heavy cans of nacho cheese and crates of Coke & accurately counting change is also a strenuous/stressful activity. If those workers start getting ugly about it, will we also see them on ESPN2, dishing out chili dogs & frito pies at a furious rate in hopes of winning the cherished Golden Weiner Award?

Seriously, I'm not trying to pick on you or any other cheerleader but this newly flexible definition of what a sport truly is, in my opinion is placing our society on a road to a subtle kind of chaos that blurs too many important & real male/female distinctions & makes it difficult for men and women to find their true roles in society. And I do NOT mean women should be barefoot and pregnant, always be housewives or should not be paid for the same work a man does.

Males and females should definitely be respectful of each others' special abilities and they should be able to use those abilities where they will truly be an asset. But to place people into situations simply to make them feel good about themselves but ignoring the negative consequences to the all the other members of that situation is wrong IMO and in the long-term hurts everyone in that group more than it helps.

BTW: the following site is probably one of the best sports photography sites I have seen and definitely the best I know of for wrestling. The owner, Danielle Hobeika, is the primary photographer and is also a wrestler herself. Danielle also builds other excellent webpages for many other wrestlers.

AmateurWrestlingPhotos.com (http://amateurwrestlingphotos.com/)

And if anyone is wondering, wrestling is a sport women can excel at because wrestling consists mostly of technique, mental quickness and speed; physical strength is secondary. I've seen quite a few experienced girls hand a male wrestler his ass in a match (informal matches during practices; Texas and most other states don't allow female/male matches at official tournaments). Wrestling can also be used to protect yourself & is a big reason why so many mma fighters that used to wrestle win so many of their competitions.

ima_zombie
12-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Threads with long beginnings suck. My threads roXorz! They are 1337. hhahaha

STANKY808
12-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Seriously, I'm not trying to pick on you or any other cheerleader but this newly flexible definition of what a sport truly is, in my opinion is placing our society on a road to a subtle kind of chaos that blurs too many important & real male/female distinctions & makes it difficult for men and women to find their true roles in society. And I do NOT mean women should be barefoot and pregnant, always be housewives or should not be paid for the same work a man does.

Well, I guess there is nothing left then. Poverty, AIDS, war, etc, that's the natural order of things. Cheerleading a sport?! That's what is crushing any true progress in society.
Please enlighten, what are men's and women's "true roles" in society?

Rosie Cotton
12-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Well, I guess I'm just going to have to come out and say what a lot of us think about this: They only want things equal when it's conveinent for them. And they don't want males intruding into areas that women are into. You do know there are all kinds of examples of where a boy wanted to join a traditionally female team like volleyball or field hockey & this request was soundly rejected? The first thing they usually say is boys are larger and they will hurt the girls on the opposing team or his extra strength is an unfair advantage.

This is called being a H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E.

But when it comes to girls being on a boy's team, oh my, it's a different situation. Colleges and high schools have been threatened many times with legal action if this isn't done. Never mind that one female in the middle of all those bigger males has a very good chance of getting hurt simply from the physics of that situation (i.e. 99% of the guys wouldn't purposely try to hurt her; the weight and strength differences would be to blame).

Honest-to-God personal example of some "girl power" hypocrisy: a couple of years ago when I was helping out with a high school wrestling team that included girls, about ten girls tried out for the team at the beginning of the season. They all made it, but a funny thing happened afterwards. Except for four of them, during practice the other six barely tried to do the drills and were basically just sitting around yakking. Understandably the coaches were getting upset with this but they were careful not to complain too much. Then suddenly, these six girls all quit the team. The team captain, a senior, told me he heard from his girlfriend these girls had said they had never had any intention of being a wrestler--they just wanted to prove they could get onto the team. :mad: I can't prove this but I'll bet they were inspired by those women that caused that huge fuss & forced themselves into The Citadel, an all-male military school, then quit a week later.

All this stuff can found on the Net.

I don't think boys and girls should be on the same teams at all. I was on a coed soccer team once, and it was awful. If boys want to play volleyball, they can start their own team.

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cheerleading) defines this as "To lead organized cheering, as at sports events." That's it.

Hmm, that same website defines sport as :
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
A particular form of this activity.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

I think that describes cheerleading.

And to use an extreme example of why it bothers lots us male chauvinist pigs :) to see cheerleading being called a sport, when do we start having the concession stand jobs turned into a sport? Standing there for hours serving people in a hot enviroment, picking up heavy cans of nacho cheese and crates of Coke & accurately counting change is also a strenuous/stressful activity. If those workers start getting ugly about it, will we also see them on ESPN2, dishing out chili dogs & frito pies at a furious rate in hopes of winning the cherished Golden Weiner Award?

See above. Working a concession stand does not fall into that category. And I have worked concession stands before. It's nowhere near as bad as what you just described. Working in a concession stand doesn't require the kind of training that cheerleading or any other sport requires.

Yet again, it's not a new definition of "sport".

I do agree that alot of this stuff does blur the gender line unneccesarily. I know a lot of women don't want to admit this, but their are things that men can do better. Like lift heavy things. ;)

Males and females should definitely be respectful of each others' special abilities and they should be able to use those abilities where they will truly be an asset. But to place people into situations simply to make them feel good about themselves but ignoring the negative consequences to the all the other members of that situation is wrong IMO and in the long-term hurts everyone in that group more than it helps.

True dat.

FunkyHiFi
12-12-2004, 01:55 AM
I appreciate your thoughts Rosie. (y)

Here's some other material if anyone wants to go through it.

"Wrestling With Title IX" (http://www.kenchertow.com/coachs_corner/title_ix_irving.html):
While eliminating men's sports like wrestling, where the interest in participation is increasing, athletic programs go begging to find women athletes to fill the vacancies on an ever-expanding number of women's teams..........One of the most ludicrous examples of this was the attempt by Arizona State University in Tempe - a cactus-studded campus in the middle of the Sonoran Desert - to add a competitive women's rowing team.

Wow. :rolleyes:

"Title IX and reverse discrimination" (http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/mens-rights-and%20title-ix.htm):
It is true that women’s sports are growing. From the span of 1992 to 1997, approximately 5,800 female athletes had been added to sports. However, in that same span of time 20,000 male athletes were cut (Sacks, Men’s Athletics Suffer due to Growth of Women’s Programs). So while women have gained a little, men have lost a lot. It is agreed that Title IX’s intent was not to do this, however, it has become inevitable to avoid.

Twenty thousand? :(

"Playing at Ridder Arena stirs seasonlong debate" (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/high_school/8041653.htm?1c)

This article is a good example of a school being accused of not providing equal opportunities for women. This can get messy because it can include very subjective things, like how nice the locker rooms are; if a field/rink/gym is modern enough; etc. And sometimes it literally gets down to if the women's facilities have the same amount of vending machines & water fountains as the men's facilities. Whew!

In its response, the MSHSL noted that the boys tournament draws much larger crowds and must be played in a larger facility. Xcel can seat 18,064 spectators, and the boys tournament drew 116,878 for the four-day boys event............ Ridder seats 2,742 and was designed specifically for women's hockey, one reason the tournament moved from the Fairgrounds Coliseum in 2003. Last season the tournament drew 12,727 over three days.

my emphasis

Who wants to play in a nearly-empty stadium? Even some of the women players say that in the article. The school spent a very large sum of money to build that rink but this doesn't seem to be appreciated very much.

And lastly, football & basketball really get attacked for having so many players but the thing is, many schools that didn't have these teams still had to drop men's track, golf, baseball, gymnastics, etc teams to be in compliance. And, it's a fact that for many schools, the football/basketball teams' revenue pretty much pays for all the other sport's bills (many psorts make no money at all for the school--that's not a bad thing, but just a fact I'm passing on). Even I and many others think some school's football teams have way too many players but if that's the only thing keeping the other sports alive, well, what can you say to that in these crappy economic times?

yeahwho
12-12-2004, 01:56 AM
I agree with Steve Martin, If I had a nice pair of tits I'd never leave the house, I'd just sit around home all day and play with them.

Rosie Cotton
12-12-2004, 02:18 AM
I'm staying away from you, yeahwho.

yeahwho
12-12-2004, 03:29 AM
I'm staying away from you, yeahwho.

Ahhh, I'm OK, just have one hell of a Kerry hangover. I'll snapout of it. Shit goes down like Springsteen but ya' wake up like the Beaver Brown Band, nasty stuff :( .......on the lighter side of things though, all the bumper stickers and stuff is going for 50% off, and he was right, Bush is not changing a thing.....4 more of the same.

Rosie Cotton
12-12-2004, 03:39 AM
Was that supposed to make sense?

yeahwho
12-12-2004, 03:47 AM
No, I'd probably only stay in the house for a week. I mean really. Ten days tops.

Rosie Cotton
12-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Good idea. Five days would probably be enough. Ten seems a little extreme.

Rosie Cotton
12-14-2004, 12:44 AM
I appreciate your thoughts Rosie. (y)

That's it?! :(

Well, I guess that means I won. Woo hoo! :p