PDA

View Full Version : Health Care and Junk

ima_zombie
12-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Lately on these board, all I see is "OMGZ IRAQ WAR IS BAD!" or "SCREW YOU LIBERALS/CONSERVATIVES."

I was just wondering, what your veiws on health care, and stuff like that, basically besides the Iraq war. Death penelty...gay rights....oil in Alaska.

valvano
12-09-2004, 03:14 PM
the health care system would be a lot better if the fed govt and the lawyers got out of the way of the doctors and patients....

people do not deserve special rights or special attention just because they choose to have sex with others of the same sex.....

nobody has ever come back from the electric chair to kill again, can you say the same about parole?

go for the oil.....

(y)

ima_zombie
12-09-2004, 03:19 PM
hahahaha. i meant actually discussing stuff. Things like the Perscription Drug Entitlement Act. They should get rid of it. It's only going to cause more taxes for my generation.

Schmeltz
12-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Something like forty or fifty million Americans have no access to affordable health care under the current systems...

Everybody deserves the same rights as everybody else no matter who they choose to sleep with...

The electric chair can't bring back the innocent people it has killed either...

Why not go for the oil in Alaska? A hundred thousand dead reindeer is probably preferable to a hundred thousand dead Iraqis.

Ace42
12-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Also NHS > *

valvano
12-09-2004, 03:30 PM
the fed govt doesnt have a good track record of solving problems.....are you sure you want them running YOUR heath care system?

when gays are able to reproduce amongst themselves without relying on somebody from the opposite sex, then we can talk about marriage....

when the evidence is beyond a shadow of a doubt, its the true ultimate punishment...

drilling oil in alaska will result in 100K dead reindeer? how can that be, there were only about 25,000 reindeer in alaska back in 1980
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF4/427.html
:D

Schmeltz
12-09-2004, 03:46 PM
You're right, I wouldn't like the American government running my health care either. But I can tell you that the Canadian federal government already does at least a decent job of running our system.

I wonder when we can expect the enforced dissolution of the marriages of childless couples, and the removal of marriage rights from sterile people.

You don't want the government to provide health care, but you want to give them the power to kill people? If you say so. Did you get that "true ultimate punishment" line off a 16-bit video game or something?

Caribou, reindeer, Iraqi... tomato tomahto! You can't spell "oil" with any of those words!

Ace42
12-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Beat me to it with the whole childless couples thing, dangit. Rapidly becoming my favourite (active) poster.

valvano
12-09-2004, 04:38 PM
a man and a woman have the correct "plumbing" to bear children. sometimes it works, unfortuantely, sometimes it doesnt

two dicks cant make a baby, neither can two vaginas

case closed

valvano
12-09-2004, 04:41 PM
You're right, I wouldn't like the American government running my health care either. But I can tell you that the Canadian federal government already does at least a decent job of running our system.

and hows that tax rate up there in Canada?

ASsman
12-09-2004, 04:45 PM
We really need to stop getting side tracked. Start going after the real important issues. For example...uh.....hmmm.... P2Ps and copyright infringement. Or how should the NBA deal with unruly fans. Or "Health Care and Junk", really why are so many people obsessed with the Iraqi "Conflict". I doubt any of these people are effected directly.

Oh yah and our Healthcare totally blows.

STANKY808
12-09-2004, 05:15 PM
U.S. Patients Spend More but Don't Get More, Study Finds
Even in Advantaged Areas, Americans Often Receive Inadequate Health Care

By Ceci Connolly
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 5, 2004; Page A15

Although they spend more on health care than patients in any other industrialized nation, Americans receive the right treatment less than 60 percent of the time, resulting in unnecessary pain, expense and even death, according to a study released yesterday.

..."The United States should be particularly concerned about these results, given that we spend twice as much on health care as any other country. So spending more doesn't necessarily result in better outcomes," said Gerard Anderson of Johns Hopkins University's Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Infant mortality rate is one indicator of the health of a country's citizens -

1. Japan 3.30 deaths/1,000 live births
2. Sweden 3.42 deaths/1,000 live births
3. Iceland 3.50 deaths/1,000 live births
4. Singapore 3.57 deaths/1,000 live births
5. Finland 3.73 deaths/1,000 live births
6. Norway 3.87 deaths/1,000 live births
7. Andorra 4.06 deaths/1,000 live births
8. Germany 4.23 deaths/1,000 live births
9. Netherlands 4.26 deaths/1,000 live births
10. Austria 4.33 deaths/1,000 live births
11. Switzerland 4.36 deaths/1,000 live births
12. France 4.37 deaths/1,000 live births
13. Macau 4.42 deaths/1,000 live births
14. Slovenia 4.42 deaths/1,000 live births
15. Spain 4.54 deaths/1,000 live births
16. Belgium 4.57 deaths/1,000 live births
17. Luxembourg 4.65 deaths/1,000 live births
18. Australia 4.83 deaths/1,000 live births
19. Liechtenstein 4.85 deaths/1,000 live births
20. Canada 4.88 deaths/1,000 live births

22. United Kingdom 5.28 deaths/1,000 live births

35. United States 6.75 deaths/1,000 live births

Most of the country's in the top twenty have high tax rates.

Ace42
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
two dicks cant make a baby, neither can two vaginas

case closed

Except they can thanks to the wonders of modern science.

Echewta
12-09-2004, 05:58 PM
From what I've read, Medicare does a good job providing health services to those americans on it and those institutions receiving it. Sure, its not perfect, not everyone needs a motorize wheel chair paid by the tax payers dollar but Medicare sets spending and billing limits, pays quickly, and is realiable. Can't say the same about the different private health care covereage I've had.

Canada canada, boo hoo. Long lines. Boo hoo. High taxes. cry cry. At least Canada takes care of everyone and puts it on the table for everyone to see. Here, we pay taxes that go to taking care of the uninsured anyways but don't really say we do. Emergency rooms that are open, become doctors offices because clinics close or regular offices won't take the uninsured. Or, people cant afford to go to the doctor to take care of a small problem, and then it becomes bigger and finally that person is in the hospital, uninsured but being paid by the patient that can pay or by the governments.

Lets just pony up and give the same medical coverage to everyone in this country. That way, we all fight for the same good health care system instead of individual battles.

paulk
12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
At least Canada takes care of everyone ...

I wouldn't call waiting 6 months for tests to see whether or not you have cancer "being taken care of."