PDA

View Full Version : Controversy Continues Over Rumsfeld Armor Question

Whois
12-10-2004, 10:35 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/politics/120904ap_politics_armor.html

Controversy Continues Over Rumsfeld Armor Question

Dec. 9 (AP) — Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld is taking fire for the statement he made about getting armor to the troops in Iraq. Rumsfeld told a National Guard soldier that the U.S. was supplying armor as fast as it can be made. But ABC7 political reporter Mark Matthews talked with companies making the armor and heard a different story.

The company that makes armored Humvees says they've already offered to increase production and that it wouldn't cost them any extra. That's something Donald Rumsfeld denied yesterday in talking with National Guard troops in Kuwait.

Inadequate armor for the troops and their vehicles in Iraq has been an issue for more than a year.

At first the Secretary of Defense denied it was a problem. Then yesterday Rumsfeld told National Guard soldiers the Army is trying to solve the problem as fast as it can.

Donald Rumsfeld: "It's essentially a matter of physics. It isn't a matter of money, it isn't a matter on the part of the Army of desire. It's a matter of production and capability of doing it."

And today the President backed him up.

President Bush: "I've told many families I've met with we're doing everything we can to protect your loved ones in a mission that is vital and important."

But the Florida company that makes the armor plating both for the Humvees and the Army's bullet proof vests says it told the Pentagon several times it could easily increase production by 22 percent. That's 50 to 100 extra Humvees every month, but so far the Army hasn't responded.

And a Sacramento company that provides steel panel for door panels told ABC7 they could make more and that it's just a matter of money. The Sierra Army Depot, assembling the Humvee kits, could increase production by 150 percent.

General Paul Monroe retired this year as head of the California's National Guard.

Gen. Paul Monroe, California National Guard, retired: "Ultimately it's a matter of money."

So far the ultimate price has been paid by more than 190 American soldiers killed in unarmored Humvees. More than half the Humvees are without armor so soldiers are welding on pieces of scrap metal.

Congresswoman Ellen Tauscher says it's the fault of the administration's planning.

Rep. Ellen Tauscher (D), Walnut Creek: "They didn't expect to find RPG's hitting our soldiers. They thought they'd be pelted with roses and victory parades soon after the end of the Saddam Hussein government."

Today, a spokesman for Donald Rumsfeld said he would not respond to what we've found out today. And there is a report tonight out of Chattanooga, Tennessee, that the guardsman who asked Rumsfeld the question about the missing armor was coached by a reporter for the Chattanooga Free Press. The reporter embedded with the troops wasn't allowed to ask questions, so says he passed it on to a guardsman.
-----------

D_Raay
12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
They have no more money to borrow for properly protecting our troops maybe?
With all the money they have borrowed and continuously talking of borrowing more, just exactly where are our tax dollars going? I see fat, elderly gentlemen sipping Dom Perignon fondling young models in some hot tub somewhere claiming to know what is best for our country by ensuring that their own interests are bought and secured within our own government. Meanwhile, our troops don't have adequate protection?
The time is steadily drawing nigh, black hoodies and automatic weapons for everyone.

Whois
12-10-2004, 12:34 PM
They have no more money to borrow for properly protecting our troops maybe?
With all the money they have borrowed and continuously talking of borrowing more, just exactly where are our tax dollars going? I see fat, elderly gentlemen sipping Dom Perignon fondling young models in some hot tub somewhere claiming to know what is best for our country by ensuring that their own interests are bought and secured within our own government. Meanwhile, our troops don't have adequate protection?
The time is steadily drawing nigh, black hoodies and automatic weapons for everyone.

I prefer flame-throwers...they'll suffer longer.

"Burnt pork...that's what the bodies smelled like. I can't go to bar-b-ques anymore because the smell of roasting meat makes me sick."

Whois
12-10-2004, 01:14 PM
http://www.ucomics.com/rallcom/2004/12/09/

100% ILL
12-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Okay, okay; the buying your own body bag one was funny.

QueenAdrock
12-10-2004, 02:07 PM
This administration truly does support our troops...emotionally, that is. We're all thinking of them over there, we're just really busy right now so we can't physically do anything. You know. (n)

ASsman
12-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Heh, this is the type of TRUTH FINDINING/ ACTIVE REPORTING we need. I bet even this they half assed. The News Media need to stop regurgitating whatever the fuck the government says.
Also, Armor = Expensive. There is only room for one 1.7 billion $ fuck-up.