enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Where do you plot? http://www.politicalcompass.org/

I'm where I suspect a good deal of us here would plot:
Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
Gandhi/Dalai Lama/Mandela quadrant
polar opposite to G.W.

I came across this site as my co-workers and I were doing mandatory EQ testing and began discussing the methods behind these sorts of analyses.

(My division is requiring everyone to do EQ testing by the end of January. Upon hearing that news, my "optimism score" waned. :))

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Slightly to the economic right (+2.00).......and slightly to the social libertarian side (-1.85)

i figured as much.

ms.peachy
12-15-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm where I suspect a good deal of us here would plot:
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28
Gandhi/Dalai Lama/Mandela quadrant
polar opposite to G.W.

Hiya, Neighbour!

EL/R -5.12
SL/A -7.74

enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Hiya, Neighbour!

EL/R -5.12
SL/A -7.74

We are in good company, Ms. Peachy.

Whois
12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
"Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races."

What other race is there than the human race...none that we know of so far.

Stupid question...color doesn't count.

ms.peachy
12-15-2004, 11:08 AM
"Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races."

What other race is there than the human race...none that we know of so far.

Stupid question...color doesn't count.

yeah I kinda gather that the question wasn't really geared towards people who think about it the same way though.

paulk
12-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Econ. Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

But due to the nature of some of the questions, that's not an entirely accurate summarization of my ideology. Some of them I had no opinion on and was forced to choose agree/disagree, etc.

Whois
12-15-2004, 11:20 AM
yeah I kinda gather that the question wasn't really geared towards people who think about it the same way though.

I know...and I refuse to play the game.

On forms that ask my race I mark 'other' and put 'human' in the space provided.

ms.peachy
12-15-2004, 11:50 AM

Well, I'm thinkin 'strongly disagree' would have been sufficient in this instance, but hey it's your call.

yeahwho
12-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Surprise Surprise....I'm hanging with the Dali and Nelson too.....

Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

Did everybody else have the same 5 responses? I just thought it odd to have one response that said, Perhaps? ;)

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 11:53 AM

ooooooooh, you're sooooooooooo liberal.

you get the liberal crown for the day.

*but he is right.......

Whois
12-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Well, I'm thinkin 'strongly disagree' would have been sufficient in this instance, but hey it's your call.

I hate playing the PC game...

paulk
12-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Not a PC gamer.

Whois
12-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Not a PC gamer.

Just BF1942 - Desert Combat mod.

:D (y)

Whois
12-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Econ. Left/Right: 7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

But due to the nature of some of the questions, that's not an entirely accurate summarization of my ideology. Some of them I had no opinion on and was forced to choose agree/disagree, etc.

It's too simplified to be a very good indicator...

Econ. Left/right: +0.5
Social Lib/Auth: -6.34

catatonic
12-15-2004, 01:04 PM
EL/R -3.88
SL/A -2.92

enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 01:06 PM
It's too simplified to be a very good indicator...

Econ. Left/right: 0.5
Social Lib/Auth: -6.34

Agreed 100%--if you're looking for an airtight indicator then this is only mildly enlighteninig.

A relative of mine is right-wing all the way, yet she refers to herself as dead-center with, perhaps, very subtle right leanings. She justifies listening to Hannity and O'Reilly as her way to get full media coverage, yet she only watches CNN in an attempt to offset any Fox-introduced bias. My head explodes. It would be interesting (to me) for her to take the test--if she takes enough of them, she just might start to wonder if she's been more Hannitized than she realizes.

It's hard to watch someone get hijacked by Fox news.

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 01:15 PM

true...
i think it happens so readily because Fox news is so entertaining....
the people they produce and give airtime to (hannity, O'reily, Coulter, ect) have such strong and contraversial presences...great for TV and ratings.

they also pander like nobodies business and tell the amercian people just what many want to hear: we are great, our country is the greatest, muslims suck and are evil, we are doing fine, things are looking up, yay us....

i'm sure that can become very addictive....

Whois
12-15-2004, 01:19 PM
Agreed 100%--if you're looking for an airtight indicator then this is only mildly enlighteninig.

A relative of mine is right-wing all the way, yet she refers to herself as dead-center with, perhaps, very subtle right leanings. She justifies listening to Hannity and O'Reilly as her way to get full media coverage, yet she only watches CNN in an attempt to offset any Fox-introduced bias. My head explodes. It would be interesting (to me) for her to take the test--if she takes enough of them, she just might start to wonder if she's been more Hannitized than she realizes.

Faux News - We distort, you oblige.

Yeah...I'm a bit bitchy this morning, no coffee yet.

:( "I'm a doody head"

enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 01:35 PM
true...
they also pander like nobodies business and tell the amercian people just what many want to hear: we are great, our country is the greatest, muslims suck and are evil, we are doing fine, things are looking up, yay us....

This sort of self-righteousness mixed in with fear-mongering is what's hurting her. Someone coined the term 9-11 Republican and that's what she is now. It's weird when this 9-11-related shift happens to people who were not raised with a revenge-based mentality. I don't get it. It's so hard to watch the slide/shift happen--nearly in slow-motion--to someone close to you.

enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Faux News - We distort, you oblige.

:( "I'm a doody head"

If you google Faux News, the second hit is to foxnews.com.

I haven't heard anyone call anyone else a doody head for a long time. I laughed.

synch
12-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.85

No clue what it means yet, I should really read the text that accompanies it.

ms.peachy
12-15-2004, 02:14 PM
I hate playing the PC game...

Well it just seems to me that there are times when it is relevant to make a stand, and an internet quizzie thingie isn't really it. Cuz it's like, okay well BFD, so you don't do the quizzie thingie. So what have you proved, and to whom? Nothing, to no one, you just don't get to do the quizzie thingie. You've hardly advanced the dialogue on human rights.

Don't get me wrong: I am not disagreeing with your greater argument, in spirit. I'm just saying, pick your battles a little more wisely. You're being a bit pugnacious in refusing to look at the overall point of the exercise and instead focussing on the semantics of one statement.

D_Raay
12-15-2004, 02:22 PM
E/L: -4.62
SL/A: -6.67

I am further over than Ghandhi...bordering on Anarchism. Sweeeeetttt.... :rolleyes:

Whois
12-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Well it just seems to me that there are times when it is relevant to make a stand, and an internet quizzie thingie isn't really it. Cuz it's like, okay well BFD, so you don't do the quizzie thingie. So what have you proved, and to whom? Nothing, to no one, you just don't get to do the quizzie thingie. You've hardly advanced the dialogue on human rights.

Don't get me wrong: I am not disagreeing with your greater argument, in spirit. I'm just saying, pick your battles a little more wisely. You're being a bit pugnacious in refusing to look at the overall point of the exercise and instead focussing on the semantics of one statement.

I know...I was a doody head.

I was going on about a separate issue and me stupid decided to use the question as an excuse to whine about it.

*lashes self with dry spagetti*

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
you crazy libs....

come with me!....come to the middle!....come to the land of balance and independance!!

+2.00 to right econ.
-1.85 to the libertarian

D_Raay
12-15-2004, 02:27 PM
I'm still cooler than you :)
Nobody is cooler than you.... especially not me.

D_Raay
12-15-2004, 02:29 PM
you crazy libs....

come with me!....come to the middle!....come to the land of balance and independance!!

+2.00 to right econ.
-1.85 to the libertarian
Get off the fence Q, it's quite nice over here in the land of the sane...

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 02:30 PM
NEVER!

*grabs her trusty bleeding heart and attacks*

and who said politics couldn't be dramatic!?

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Get off the fence Q, it's quite nice over here in the land of the sane...

ugh! i was waiting for someone to make that comment.

on the fence...MY ASS!!

people like me are the only ones you can somewhat trust to be objective. i'm never afraid to look at things from ALL sides.

D_Raay
12-15-2004, 02:35 PM
ugh! i was waiting for someone to make that comment.

on the fence...MY ASS!!

people like me are the only ones you can somewhat trust to be objective. i'm never afraid to look at things from ALL sides.
The way I see it, there is but 1 right side right now.... At least in a sane world, which is asking alot I guess.

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 02:37 PM
The way I see it, there is but 1 right side right now

you've proven my point.

but you're still a cool dude.... ;)

D_Raay
12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
I also have that uncanny ability. I can see a persons who is pro-life and be able to understand their point of view. It just doesnt happen to be mine. You dont have to be in the middle to be reasonable.

I dont think this is a matter of sides. People believe different things on different issues.

End of.
Mae is on point, said it better than I did..

enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 03:15 PM
I also have that uncanny ability. I can see a persons who is pro-life and be able to understand their point of view. It just doesnt happen to be mine. You dont have to be in the middle to be reasonable.

End of.

Well said.

Just because you're seemingly buried in a belief doesn't mean that you can't dig out enough to examine and [try to] understand other ideologies.

I'm on the lower left of the compass in this test, but I don't think of myself as a left-of-center crazy head. I can and do listen to my Stalin/Hitler/Friedman :) compass neighbors, and I maybe even understand why they're over there and how they got there. There are benefits to learning about all sides and you don't have to be on a fence to do that.

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Well said.

Just because you're seemingly buried in a belief doesn't mean that you can't dig out enough to examine and [try to] understand other ideologies.

I'm on the lower left of the compass in this test, but I don't think of myself as a left-of-center crazy head. I can and do listen to my Stalin/Hitler/Friedman :) compass neighbors, and I maybe even understand why they're over there and how they got there. There are benefits to learning about all sides and you don't have to be on a fence to do that.

hmm....

you guys really don't think your own bias comes into effect there?
don't you think you see everything through "liberal" specs? i mean, it's only human to have a bias. it doesn't mean your stupid or ignorant.

i suppose i could go hunt around and find some clever quote from some historical figure that puts my point down more eloquently....
but i think you guys get what i'm sayin....

don't you think it's rather arrogant to say "i'm may be a lefty, but i can still see all sides of the issue objectively" without giving that same creedance to right wing republicans?

paulk
12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
I took a similar test once, and I was basically right on top of Ted Kaczynski on the whacko-meter.

That test was more accurate than this one, to say the least.

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 03:25 PM
I took a similar test once, and I was basically right on top of Ted Kaczynski on the whacko-meter.

That test was more accurate than this one, to say the least.

you must be proud.

paulk
12-15-2004, 03:33 PM
I think you are about as far from being objective as I am.

But no one here is as objectivist as I am.

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 03:36 PM
everyone has bias. Even you. You already have your opinions on certain issues already in your mind and you wont be swayed, and you even try to convince others that your way is right and theirs is wrong. Ive seen you exhibit that on these very boards. This post of yours alone exhibits that bit of hubris that we all possess.

Isnt it a bit arrogant to assume that just because an INTERNET test tells you you are a fence sitter that that automatically makes you objective?

I think you are about as far from being objective as I am.

i see your point, but i have strived to be objective and have prided myself on being pretty level headed long before this test.

am i without bias?...of course not. but it just follows good logic that someone who has beliefs on both sides of the fence and does not side with any one party or politcal/social belief system would tend to be more objective on any one issue.
it is hard to argue against that.

having convictions does not automatically indicate a bias.

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 03:37 PM
You seem to have more of a problem with the etremists than the extremists do.

that could very well be true, my dear.

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I took this test for shits and giggles. Not to be judged or grouped in with others.

that's why labels, and parties, and alignments, and tests like these all suck.

if everyone were just rational, independant thinkers with NO ALIGNMENT, we would be alot better off.

none of that "i'm more to this side" or "i'm definately <insert social/politcal group> on most issues"

but rather "i listen to everything and make singular decisions grounded on objective, scientific, and documented ideals with historical backround".

if you or anyone else did this....you would not have any significant sway in any political/social direction direction. that's just statistics.

you could take 50 of these annoying tests and find yourself centering out on virtually all of them.

but then, i guess we wouldn't be human........
:rolleyes:

Qdrop
12-15-2004, 03:55 PM
for the record I have never said i was definitely anything. Im not even registered in a party.

I hear a platform. I like it. I vote for it. I dont like it. I ignore it.

I have values, ideas and beliefs just like anyone else.

That is all there is to it.

End of.

trust me, aimee.....
i don't lump you in with any of the people on this political board at all.

you definately come across as rather level headed person. i don't often see you taking any one side.

and that's why you're cool.

why does my office smell like playdo all of the sudden?

enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 04:22 PM
don't you think it's rather arrogant to say "i'm may be a lefty, but i can still see all sides of the issue objectively" without giving that same creedance to right wing republicans?

Sure that would be arrogant. But it's not what I meant. In my mind, right-wingers have that same leeway [to be able to see the other side objectively]. I personally know a lot of right/conservatives who see my point of view, understand it, and choose not to live it.

enree erzweglle
12-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I took this test for shits and giggles. Not to be judged or grouped in with others. I am an indivvidual and I generally dont fit in a mould...

I took it because I was hoping to find something that I could assess and then give to <said relative from previous post>. (Plus, it beat doing that mandatory EQ testing as long as I was in a test-taking mood.)

There are no sure-fire barometers for figuring out these sorts of things, but they're sometimes interesting to do. With this particular one, I learned something from the analyses.

On my EQ testing, one of the questions was something like, "I am generally a happy person." and another was "I have made valuable contributions in the last three years." and "I handle change well." and then there was "I do strange things that I don't understand." and "I am not connected to my body." Hmmmm.

Rosie Cotton
12-17-2004, 02:22 AM
I too am chillin' with Gandhi, which is really weird because I have the same birthday as him.