PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Trent Lott says something that's not offensive!

Rosie Cotton
12-17-2004, 03:31 AM
Mississippi's Sen. Lott says Rumsfeld not the right leader for Department of Defense

Associated Press

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should be replaced sometime in the next year, Sen. Trent Lott says.

"I'm not a fan of Secretary Rumsfeld," Lott told the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday. "I don't think he listens enough to his uniformed officers."

Rumsfeld has under heavy criticism since a soldier asked him last week why the combat vehicles used in the war in Iraq don't have the proper armor. Both Rumsfeld and President Bush have said more vehicle armor will be shipped to Iraq.

Lott, speaking to the civic club Wednesday, said the United States needs more troops to help with the war and a plan to leave Iraq once elections take place in late January. The Mississippi Republican doesn't think Rumsfeld is the person to carry out that plan.

"I would like to see a change in that slot in the next year or so," Lott said. "I'm not calling for his resignation, but I think we do need a change at some point."

Lott lost his post as Senate majority leader two years ago after praising Strom Thurmond's 1948 segregationist presidential run.

On Monday, Sen. John McCain told The Associated Press he has "no confidence" in Rumsfeld, citing Rumsfeld's handling of the war in Iraq and the failure to send more troops.

McCain, Republican of Arizona, said his comments were not a call for Rumsfeld's resignation, explaining that Bush "can have the team that he wants around him."

He said he had also expressed lack of confidence in Rumsfeld when fielding a similar question a couple of weeks ago.

D_Raay
12-17-2004, 03:47 AM
I love how they say, "we don't think he is doing the job", but then stop short of saying they want him to resign. Almost makes you think they were commenting on behalf of Bush himself. Appearances must be maintained after all.

SobaViolence
12-18-2004, 12:17 AM
fuck, Bush et al. messed serious with McCain during the Rep. candidate nominations...he's been biting his tongue.

McCain is a man of character, and that's how Bush's goons executed him. He didn't play dirty.

Marlene
12-18-2004, 12:53 AM
McCain a man of character? Well, perhaps a mite more than Bush, but not by too much. He's part of the mega group/circle.....married into a family who made their money bootlegging and racketeering.

SobaViolence
12-18-2004, 10:01 AM
american politics is like any other country, it's all relative.

i once asked my dad, after watching a doc on the munich massacre, why we deal with Yasser Arafat. He said he's the tallest midget.

I'll never forget that...

valvano
12-18-2004, 05:22 PM
.married into a family who made their money bootlegging and racketeering.

I didn't know he married a Kennedy.

:eek:

K-nowledge
12-18-2004, 07:40 PM
:D (y) I didn't know he married a Kennedy.

:eek:

Marlene
12-18-2004, 11:38 PM
not a kennedy....(although i know you are being sarcastic)...

you can google john mccain keating 5
or
john mccain savings and loan
or
john mccain mega group
or alternately
john mccain mega circle

should you care to actually know more.

valvano
12-19-2004, 08:20 AM
you were probably only 5 years old when the whole S&L thing was going on in the 80s, surprised you are even aware of it...

Marlene
12-19-2004, 09:48 AM
think again. i was in junior high/high school during the 80's.