PDA

View Full Version : Not worth fighting

Ali
12-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Americans' support for Iraq war slips

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A majority of Americans now say the war in Iraq was not worth fighting, a view that has driven
down the ratings of both President George W. Bush and Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, according to an ABC News/Washington Post poll.

Fifty-six percent of those questioned, a new high, agreed that the cost of the war outweighs the benefits and is not worth it.
That a gain of seven percentage points from a poll conducted in July.

Fifty-seven percent in the survey, released on Monday, said they disapprove of the way Bush is handling the situation in
Iraq and 53 percent disapprove of the way Rumsfeld is handling his job, according to the survey.

However, 60 percent said the Iraqi elections scheduled for late January should go forward regardless of the security
situation.

The poll also found that despite growing dissatisfaction with Iraq, most Americans, 58 percent, still say U.S. forces should
remain there until order is restored.

Several Republican lawmakers have expressed doubts about Rumsfeld's performance and some Democrats want him
fired over his handling of the war. More than half of the poll respondents, 52 percent, also said Rumsfeld should be replaced.

Bush defended Rumsfeld at a news conference on Monday, saying the Pentagon chief is "doing a really fine job."

According to the poll, Bush's approval rating on Iraq dropped to 42 percent, down from 60 percent a year ago. Fewer than
half said they believe there has been significant progress toward restoring order in Iraq, down from 51 percent last summer.

URL of this story http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/swissinfo.html?siteSect=105&sid=5418969 How did Bush win such a landslide when he was the one who got you into this mess?

Kerry should have contested.

Ali
12-21-2004, 09:25 AM
WASHINGTON - President Bush on Monday acknowledged that insurgents in Iraq are ``having an effect'' and once again said that efforts to train Iraqis to replace U.S. forces have been hampered by the ``mixed'' performance of Iraqi units, including some that have fled rather than fight. http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/10465959.htm?1c Aren't these the same troops who ran and hid at the first sign of trouble?

Brilliant stratergy, Rummy. Your name will be remembered.

i'mcrafty
12-21-2004, 09:27 AM
people think it's not a good time to switch pres during a war

alot of people want to see him get us out of this mess.

oh i'm one of those people

i would've voted for Kerry but i can't stand Edwards

Ali
12-21-2004, 09:29 AM
people think it's not a good time to switch pres during a war Oh, good. So GWB just has to declare war every four years and stay in power forever.

i'mcrafty
12-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Oh, good. So GWB just has to declare war every four years and stay in power forever.

um no he can't run again

i see you are from France

thanks for all the help from the war you guys are so supportive

you all are good for opinions on stuff that doesn't affect you

i don't love Bush but i don't hate him either :o sorry

Ali
12-21-2004, 09:43 AM
i see you are from France

thanks for all the help from the war you guys are so supportive Oh boy, another one.

100% ILL
12-21-2004, 09:45 AM
so uh, where's those WMD's???????

They're all in Syria

100% ILL
12-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Prove it

I forgot to add the sarcasm tag, sorry.

Whois
12-21-2004, 10:07 AM
How did Bush win such a landslide when he was the one who got you into this mess?

Kerry should have contested.

Hint: Kerry is part of the system...

Ali
12-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Hint: Kerry is part of the system...Doh! I keep forgetting.

Who was your candidate, Whois? I forget. ;)

Whois
12-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Doh! I keep forgetting.

Who was your candidate, Whois? I forget. ;)

Well I had planned on voting for George Washington (the other George) as a protest but changed my mind at the last minute.

Michael Badnarik (Libertarian)

http://badnarik.org

Qdrop
12-21-2004, 10:14 AM
we can't pull out now, the mess we leave will be far worse than when we came in.

if you thought the middle eastern world (the rest of the world) hates us, now.....this is nothing compared to the shit storm that would rain down on us from all sides if we just ran out with out finishing.

that, after all, is where Osama Bin laden came from....
we helped him fight off russia in the late 80's....then bailed on all of afganastan........leaving them starving and seaving. (let simmer, and you get a lovely terrorist broth).

if we pulled out before we finished what we started, world sentiment would become even more bitter (if that's possible).

and my uncle is training those troops in Falluja right now......

i will be interested in hearing what he has to say about them when he gets back home.

he better come back home.......

racer5.0stang
12-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Hint: Kerry is part of the system...

I would agree.

Kerry did the worst job running for President.

If only he had a plan....

Ali
12-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Well I had planned on voting for George Washington (the other George) as a protest but changed my mind at the last minute.

Michael Badnarik (Libertarian)

http://badnarik.org With the dodgy software they used, you may well have!

I took the test (http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html) I'm a liberal.

LIBERALS usually embrace freedom of choice in personal matters, but tend to support significant government control of the economy. They generally support a government-funded "safety net" to help the disadvantaged, and advocate strict regulation of business. Liberals tend to favor environmental regulations, defend civil liberties and free expression, support government action to promote equality, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.All A's on Personal Issues, mostly D's and two A's (free trade and corporate welfare).

In case you were interested. :D

Qdrop
12-21-2004, 10:56 AM
i took the test too...

surprise, surprise:

i'm a Centrist.

CENTRISTS espouse a "middle ground" regarding government
control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on
the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention
and sometimes support individual freedom of choice.
Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind,
tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what
they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.

Whois
12-21-2004, 11:31 AM
With the dodgy software they used, you may well have!

I took the test (http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html) I'm a liberal.

All A's on Personal Issues, mostly D's and two A's (free trade and corporate welfare).

In case you were interested. :D

I score libertarian...big suprise.

I don't like everything the party stands for, but it's the party closest to my own beliefs.

Ali
12-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I score libertarian...big suprise.

I don't like everything the party stands for, but it's the party closet to my own beliefs. Freudian typo :D

Whois
12-21-2004, 11:50 AM
Freudian typo :D

S-aphobia

Ali
12-22-2004, 04:09 AM
S-aphobiayou need strong Medicine