PDA

View Full Version : Iraq latest

D_Raay
12-22-2004, 12:37 AM
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7155347

MOSUL, Iraq (Reuters) - A guerrilla attack on a U.S. base in Iraq killed 15 American military personnel and seven other people on Tuesday in one of the deadliest strikes on U.S. forces since last year's war to oust Saddam Hussein.

U.S. officials initially said a number of rocket and mortar rounds were fired at the base in the northern city of Mosul, hitting a dining tent, but a militant group claimed a suicide bomber was behind the attack, in which 66 people were wounded.

"A suicide bomber has not been ruled out," a U.S. Army official said later in Washington.

Giving the latest casualty update, a U.S. military spokeswoman in Baghdad said 15 U.S. military personnel, five U.S. contractors and two members of Iraqi security forces were killed. Forty-two of the wounded were U.S. military personnel.

"We send our heartfelt condolences to the loved ones who suffered today. We just want them to know that the mission is a vital mission for peace," said President Bush, who warned on Monday guerrilla bombers were taking a toll.

"I'm confident democracy will prevail in Iraq. I know a free Iraq will lead to a more peaceful world," said Bush, who paid a Christmas visit to families of wounded soldiers as a poll showed most Americans now believed the war was not worth fighting.

The attack was a reminder of the threat guerrillas pose, six weeks after U.S. troops stormed Falluja to quell a Sunni Arab insurgency before Iraq holds national elections on Jan. 30.

The worst single U.S. military death toll since last year's war to topple Saddam was 17 when two helicopters came down in Mosul late last year.
--
Let me get this straight, Americans are dying, and the people now oppose the war, but Bush continues to paint a merry picture. So by this logic, even though he supposedly won the popular vote, we actually didn't want him as our president. Just like the exit polls on election night, this just doesn't add up to a reasonable person.

i'mcrafty
12-22-2004, 12:57 AM
wow i hate hearing when more americans die, didn't watch the news today, bad american.

anyway yes i'm one who opposes this war but we can't exactly leave it right now. that would be the worst thing to do. don't know what there is to do though??? :confused:

D_Raay
12-22-2004, 03:41 AM
Your sig is all need be said...

Ali
12-22-2004, 04:28 AM
Your sig is all need be said...As does yours :cool:

Could there be a possible solution, if US and UK aggressors were to withdraw and UN peackeepers to take their place? If some of those Blue Helmets were to be worn by US and UK soldiers, then so be it, but the attitudes of the people would have to change.

Of course, that would mean that you'd have to share all the construction contracts and Natural Resources with other UN member states who provide military support, so probably not, eh?

D_Raay
12-22-2004, 11:08 AM
And therein lies the problem. Too many fatcats with no conscience or kids of their own fighting over there have all the say on whether the government continues this war. The people have no real freedom or say in this anymore. Money talks right? Welcome to the land of the greedy, home of the capitalist war mongers.

Whois
12-22-2004, 11:15 AM
The base commander needs some UCMJ action, the Iraqis have targeted that tent thirty plus times over the last year and no effort was made to disperse/relocate the dining facility and thus make it less of a tempting target.

Asshat fucking jackoffs... (n)

ASsman
12-22-2004, 11:16 AM
anyway yes i'm one who opposes this war but we can't exactly leave it right now. that would be the worst thing to do. don't know what there is to do though??? :confused:

Yah, we might look like the bad guys, leaving Iraq in ruins......

Ali
12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
And therein lies the problem. Too many fatcats with no conscience or kids of their own fighting over there have all the say on whether the government continues this war. The people have no real freedom or say in this anymore. Money talks right? Welcome to the land of the greedy, home of the capitalist war mongers.
http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=41254