PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Dishes

cosmo105
12-28-2004, 12:41 AM
i'm starting to prepare a lot more of my own food, so i figured i'd let you guys in on the stuff i try out, as well as my opinion on it. here goes:

Chickpea Sauce

19-ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained (or 2 cups cooked chickpeas)
15-ounce can tomato sauce
6-ounce can tomato paste
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon basil
pinch of black pepper and salt
3-4 servings of pasta of your choice

Cook pasta to your desired firmness. While it's still cooking...
Simmer all other ingredients for 5 minutes (i did it for about 8-10) over low heat, stirring occaisonally. When hot, pour over cooked spinach pasta (or pasta of your choice). Serves 3-4.

Cosmo sez:
(y)
This recipe was really quick and easy, much like Jim's mom. I had never really tried whole garbanzo beans before, and they were pretty awesome. I mixed it with a nice medley of vegetable pasta spirals (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/cosmo105/garbanzopasta.jpg), and it was fantastic. I had plenty of leftovers, too. I'm definitely making this again.

adrockmelanie
12-28-2004, 01:31 AM
that really looks good. after looking that that picture, i'm definately trying this sometime soon.

jabumbo
12-28-2004, 02:46 AM
ill have to try the garbonzo's added to my regular red sauce...looks tasty

Whois
12-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Looks good, I'll try it the next time my vegi friends come over...

cosmo105
12-29-2004, 01:01 PM
yeah, Jim's mom liked it a lot.

louise
12-29-2004, 04:21 PM
i have a question
if you dont eat meat why eat fake (?) meat insted
and just not dont eat meat...

i wonder...

and yet again sorry fot the writing

catch a bad one
12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
i know this is unapropriate but im bored, i dont agree with veganism.

add some steak to the recipe, make sure its rare and juicy! (y)

Whois
12-29-2004, 05:49 PM
i have a question

i wonder...

and yet again sorry fot the writing

Some people convert after eating meat for years, it's a substitute. Others like the taste of veggie-meat and the fact that it's healthier than real meat (me and the wife are an example).

I still eat meat, just not as much anymore...

We have friends who left the Seventh Day Adventists, so they grew up eating meat substitute. Their son is 11 and doesn't like the taste of meat...go figure.

Whois
12-29-2004, 05:50 PM
i know this is unapropriate but im bored, i dont agree with veganism.

add some steak to the recipe, make sure its rare and juicy! (y)

Spelling Nazi Alert

inappropriate

;)

My wife hates anything pink, I love bloody steak.

cosmo105
12-29-2004, 06:23 PM
thanks for saying it for me, Whois. :)

(is THAT what you call her *ahem*? "bloody steak"?? :D)

Whois
12-29-2004, 06:28 PM
thanks for saying it for me, Whois. :)

(is THAT what you call her *ahem*? "bloody steak"?? :D)

OUCH! :eek:

I like *that* pink... ;)

cosmo105
12-29-2004, 06:34 PM
this one is interesting to say the least.

granted, it's just for a snack...but i'm pretty scared as to how this will come out.

Sweet Bean Spread for Sandwiches

1 cup homemade or canned vegetarian baked beans
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish

Mash the beans in a bowl. Add the relish and mix well. Spread on whole wheat bread and add a few lettuce leaves. Makes 2-3 sammiches.

*gulp* i'll be trying this tonight.

Whois
12-29-2004, 06:39 PM
^Post a report on this experiment...

:eek:

cosmo105
12-30-2004, 01:01 AM
i wussed out and Del Taco-ed it up tonight. tomorrow, i swear. :o

jabumbo
12-30-2004, 01:12 AM
that recipie sounds like it could be good fora quick bite of something different...

cosmo105
01-01-2005, 08:49 PM
it was actually really, really good. i put in a little more than two tablespoons of relish, though. hell, i normally don't even like sweet relish. but this was awesome. a perfect light snack. (y)

b-grrrlie
01-02-2005, 08:04 AM
i have a question

i wonder...
I think the meat substitutes taste horrible!
I tried them once and it was awful!
I do like some of quorn tho' (made from some kinda mushroom), especially the ready made indian dishes, but they're so expensive (and they're not vegan, they have egg in them! :eek: )

cosmo105
01-02-2005, 09:25 PM
some aren't too great. some are awesome. that's why you give them all a shot until you find something you really enjoy.

just like fetishes.

Green Horn
01-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Are there anygood tasting vegan sandwich? Like bread with beans and catsup.

cosmo105
01-02-2005, 09:56 PM
actually, my mom told me she used to have baked bean and ketchup sandwiches all the time when she was a kid. never tried it myself though.

monkey
01-02-2005, 11:32 PM
i have a really great garbanzo soup recipe if you want it. my mom is a legume master.

cosmo105
01-03-2005, 12:05 AM
i'm down with the legumes. bean me up. (y)

b-grrrlie
01-03-2005, 04:59 PM
some aren't too great. some are awesome. that's why you give them all a shot until you find something you really enjoy.

just like fetishes.

Some fetishes I'm definitively gonna pass! :eek: :rolleyes: :o

HEIRESS
01-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I made the best 7 bean soup with brown basmati rice in it on sunday

whoah shit it was good

cosmo105
01-03-2005, 08:34 PM
basmati is one of my favorite words.

BASMATI!

monkey
01-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Mariella's garbanzo bean soup
disclaimer: my mom never went by amounts, just what looks "right". adjust to taste accordingly.

1st step: if the beans are from a can, they can be cooked immediately. If theyre from a bag, leave them soaking in a bowl of water overnight.

2nd step: cook the garbanzo beans in a bit of water. not too much so that it's too watery, not so little that it all gets evaporated or absorbed. a soupy-amount.

3rd step: sautee some finely chopped onions (as many as you want), a little bit of garlic, paprika, oregano. add this to the soup when the beans are almost soft.

4th step: add a handful or so of rice.

cook till the beans and the rice are soft.

eat.

the next day, puree the leftovers (they taste awesome the next day) with a little water or vegetable broth. eat with crackers. <-- that's my favorite leftover.

Whois
01-05-2005, 04:59 PM

just like fetishes.

"Sticks and stone may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me..."

:eek:

cosmo105
02-21-2005, 09:41 PM
so this isn't exactly a dish but a dessert. anyway, it came out fantastic. easier than mickill, too.
you'll need:
2 8-ounce packages of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
Ener-G Egg Replacer (three teaspons of powder + two tablespoons of water = 2 eggs)
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
3/4 cup of sugar
graham cracker pie crust
preheat oven to 350 F. blend all ingredients together until smooth, then pour into pie crust and bake for about 25 minutes. let chill for at least 5 hours before serving.
for someone that hasn't had cheesecake in almost a year, this was sextacular. i highly recommend it. my only change would be adding a little less lemon juice, as it was just a tad too lemony. also, i ran out of vanilla and was forced to use just one teaspoon, but it still tasted great. i think i'd leave it in for a bit longer than 25 minutes next time, though, because even after chilling overnight, some of it hasn't hardened. oh well, i'll still probably eat the whole thing myself (y)
also: my boss made some with a few strawberries thrown in the mix. adding any kind of berries like that makes for an awesome variation. personally, i like mine plain with raspberries on top.

AngularMomentum
02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Are there anygood tasting vegan sandwich? Like bread with beans and catsup.

Err...if I say this correct...cooked red, yellow or green "lentils" with kurkuma, salt, onion, garlic and herbs of your choice, (basil is my fav)...let it cool, bit of salad and a teaspoon gomasio (grained sesameseed and seesalt) for topping....YUM!!...xcuse my poor cooking english... :)

Used to work in a Vegan Soupkitchen for the homeless here in Amsterdam, have quite some receipies I am gonna spam this forum with the next comming months...next to music, I just love good food!!!