PDA

View Full Version : Spin - The Year In Music 2004 (1/05)

Brooklyn Babe
12-30-2004, 09:43 PM
I got the new issue of Spin and I have to say their year end issue is not very Beastie friendly.

on pg. 26 - review of the Voodoo Music Experience 2004
they do call the Beasties "top shelf artists"

and they have a nice pic of Mike D. wearing a yellow and green track suit with his arms out pointing - but the caption reads:

"Mike D. points at both of the people who liked To The 5 Boroughs." :mad:

the article is a best, worst, most, least category list -

Most Common Message delivered to the Beastie Boys via the "Beastie cam' operator, a roving documentarian who collected video testimonials from fans, which were later displayed during the beasties' set -
"Check out these buds."

'Second most common message: 'Ad-Rock is hot!'

Third most common message: 'are you guys ever gonna play 'Girls?'

Performer most likely to actually honor requests for 'Girls': - Kid Rock, who seemed to have appropriated his entire stage set from the 1987 Licensed to Ill tour, complete with caged go-go dancers.

pg 59. Greenday & Juliette Lewis Rate the Hits of 2004

Beastie Boys - Ch-Check It Out
(either a return to form or cruise control for graying rap legends)

Juliette Lewis: I've always loved their voices. You wait for each one to come in with his verse.

Billie Joe Armstrong: Mike, your chin is quivering.

Mike Dirnt: [long pause] I bought the record, and after six yearsI wanted more out of them. I've grown up with them, and you just expect more.

Tres Cool: It sound like it was fun to make [laughs]. Jazz is fun to play.

Billie Joe Armstrong: They're resting on their laurels a bit, where U2 are, still goin' for it.

Juliette Lewis: I think this has got real roots. I love things simple. This shows you that a simple flavor, with just a few ingredients, can taste dee-lish. Because you can taste the flavor rather than it being all muddled up with MSG.

Spin: What?

Julliette Lewis: [laughs] I don't know.

well there you go.
what do you guys think?

Personally I think Billie Joe Armstrong was being a butt-head - I mean just because their new album is doing well - he thinks he's so high and mighty - they play that album on the radio so much - people are getting really sick of it really fast. Anyways, you don't hear Spin calling him a "legend" and he's just jealous. He will never leave the mark they did and even in their late 30's early 40's every beastie boy is hotter than any member of Green Day.
And what is up with that dude calling himself "Tres Cool' - how does that work in a conversation - Hi, I'm Billie joe. Hi, I'm Mike Dirnt. Hey I'm Tres Cool-what a joke.

Sorry - I don't mean to Green Day bash - to any of their fans on this board - it's just their comments pissed me off.

hotzappa11
12-31-2004, 06:43 AM
just like Adam calls himself Ad-Rock, TreCool it's not his real name. i dont know what to say though i like Green Day, perhaps Billi just doesnt like it.

Yorkshire~Rose
12-31-2004, 07:04 AM
i dont know what to say though i like Green Day, perhaps Billi just doesnt like it.

Yup, it wouldn't suit for everyone to like the same.

*throws out Green Day CD*

and they have a nice pic of Mike D. wearing a yellow and green track suit with his arms out pointing - but the caption reads:
"Mike D. points at both of the people who liked To The 5 Boroughs." :mad:

I chuckled at that. Does that make me a bad person? ;)

hotzappa11
12-31-2004, 08:11 AM
oh and juliette lewis is one hot peice of ass. haha :D

Saffy
12-31-2004, 09:56 AM
At the festival they did in New Orleans, didn't Green Day insist "out of respect" that they switch places with the Beastie Boys so the Boys would be playing last (i.e, headlining)? They obviously respect the band, even if they don't happen to like the new album.

It's Spin that seems to be intent on bashing the Beasties at every opportunity. That cover story was a total hatchet job.

Brooklyn Babe
12-31-2004, 10:49 AM
just like Adam calls himself Ad-Rock, TreCool it's not his real name. .
obviously, but what I meant was everyone in greenday has a regular name and this one guy comes up with Tre Cool - I mean it just sounds like a silly pseudonym for a guy in a punk/rock band.

pm0ney
12-31-2004, 02:07 PM
Meh. What the fuck does Green Day know about hip hop? American Idiot is a fucking great album, though. I cant deny that.

adroc50
01-13-2005, 11:04 PM
billy joe isnt hatin just telling the truth same with mike drint.everybody expected more after 6 yrs.

TommyD
01-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Green Day are a bunch of cunts.

Some of the worst whining albums of all time.

Not even in the same realm as the Beastie Boys.

Not even the same world

adroc50
01-14-2005, 02:47 PM
green day sucks compared to the beasties. But dirnt was right about being a little dissapointed i think everyone was a little dissapointed.

PaddyBoy
01-14-2005, 03:44 PM
green day sucks compared to the beasties. But dirnt was right about being a little dissapointed i think everyone was a little dissapointed.

I think a lot of those people (not all) who were dissapointed, were people not really into hip-hop, but were def big into TISFWO.

still ill
02-07-2005, 12:28 PM
billy joel whatever the fuck his name is sort cailming that the beasties are not pushing the envelope and u2 is . How about his band doing their chessy fake ass punk rock whining shit on every album the have released.