PDA

View Full Version : I never did understand...

SobaViolence
01-02-2005, 03:12 PM
How all those Christians in the USA could claim to love and worship Jesus while allowing their gov't to kill, plunder and destroy God's green Earth and all of its inhabitants...

anyone? :confused:

adam_f
01-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Where's sisko when you need him?

SobaViolence
01-02-2005, 04:11 PM
fuck that cracker...

yeahwho
01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
How all those Christians in the USA could claim to love and worship Jesus while allowing their gov't to kill, plunder and destroy God's green Earth and all of its inhabitants...

The Power of Madison Avenue (http://www.propagandacritic.com/).

The 60's almost broke the spell, then Madison Avenue exploited it, like they do everything on Earth. That's what I've been smoking in my pipe anyhow.
anybody else?

MTVFOXCNNCBSABCNBC..................I get most of my info from there or TimeLife series publications.

ASsman
01-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Hypocrisy.

ms.peachy
01-02-2005, 07:33 PM

Oh I was just reading something kind of related to this earlier today. In the current issue of the Economist, there's an article about people who study sacred texts (of whatever faith) from a secular viewpoint as well as those from a religious one, and why it's important in a modern context. I'm kind of too lazy to get up off my ass and go get the mag now, but basically in talking about the extreme evangelical Bible-is-the-word-of-God types, there's nothing 'hypocritical' about it.

Don't ask me about the specific bits of the Bible cuz I don't know what chapter and verse and all that, but first of all somewhere in there (apparently) there's some bit about how God gave man all of the beasts and plants and resources and whatever and made him dominant over them all to use as he sees fit or whatever and blah blah blah. Like I siad, I don't know exactly what the Bible says word for word about it but essentially the way that this has been interpreted by some is that "Hey, if it's here, God put it here for us to use so by golly let's use it."

Secondly, these sorts of folks don't see any reason to be concerned about protecting or conserving because the other thing that happens then eventually is that Judgement Day comes, the Earth is destroyed along with all the 'bad' non-Bibleish people, and the righteoud folk all go on up to heaven to sit on clouds an play harps for all eternity, or something. So essentially, there's no point in being all ecological minded and whatnot - it's all going to burn when Jesus comes back for his happy smiley people.

So - to sum up: God put all this stuff here for us to use however we want, and then Jesus is going to come and whatever's left is all gonna get destroyed anyway, so no point in 'saving' it - saving is apparently for souls, not for woodlands or turtle species or rainforests or any of those other things that don't love Jesus. Capisce?

QueenAdrock
01-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Hypocrisy.

What he said.

ms.peachy
01-03-2005, 05:09 AM
What he said.
No, not really, not if you follow the gist of what I wrote (albeit not all that clearly - it was kind of late at night...)

To be hypocritical, they would have to be saying one thing, and doing another. And the fact is, they aren't saying "Oh this land is really precious that God gave us, let's protect it" and then doing the opposite. They are saying, "It's ours, God gave it to us to do whatever we want with it" and then doing just that.

So, not hypocrisy - just good old-fashioned pig-headed arrrogance.

yeahwho
01-03-2005, 05:47 AM
To be hypocritical, they would have to be saying one thing, and doing another. And the fact is, they aren't saying "Oh this land is really precious that God gave us, let's protect it" and then doing the opposite. They are saying, "It's ours, God gave it to us to do whatever we want with it" and then doing just that.

Yep, that just about sums it up, I've met a few of those pig heads in my time. Total. Fucking. Jerks.

ASsman
01-03-2005, 08:04 AM
No, not really, not if you follow the gist of what I wrote (albeit not all that clearly - it was kind of late at night...)

Yah, those who fall under that category .. sure. But there are those who make the "smarter" connection and see that we are all creatures of god, and man is made from the earth. And we are the protectors (there are as many interpretations of the Bible as there are churches ,probably more) But I think what was meant by the post was that all the Jesus fish bumpersticker people could care less about their fellow man. They go around preaching to other people and that is somehow help enough, don't care about anyone outside the US. They are far away, only images on the TV. People who are racist, xenophobes. It all seems to contradict with what Jesus taught. And the word Jesus look pretty cool in this font.

racer5.0stang
01-03-2005, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=ms.peachy]Don't ask me about the specific bits of the Bible cuz I don't know what chapter and verse and all that, but first of all somewhere in there (apparently) there's some bit about how God gave man all of the beasts and plants and resources and whatever and made him dominant over them all to use as he sees fit or whatever and blah blah blah. Like I siad, I don't know exactly what the Bible says word for word about it but essentially the way that this has been interpreted by some is that "Hey, if it's here, God put it here for us to use so by golly let's use it."[QUOTE]

Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The sixth day of creation.

jegtar
01-03-2005, 10:03 AM
fuck that cracker...

ha ha "cracker"? Are you white or black?

100% ILL
01-03-2005, 10:12 AM

This is beautiful, Christians are in the USA. Christians love Jesus. The USA government is killing people in war so Christians are responsible. The same flawed argument could be used to single out and demonize any number of religious/poilitical sects throughout the world.

Qdrop
01-03-2005, 10:39 AM
This is beautiful, Christians are in the USA. Christians love Jesus. The USA government is killing people in war so Christians are responsible. The same flawed argument could be used to single out and demonize any number of religious/poilitical sects throughout the world.

good point.

ms.peachy
01-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Well yes of course, but I don't think that that is what he was getting at. Unless I misunderstand, what he was asking was "how is it possible that this particular group of people who claim to espouse the values of the teachings of Jesus Christ seem to be so unconcerned about the effects of their actions on others and on the planet."

SobaViolence
01-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Well yes of course, but I don't think that that is what he was getting at. Unless I misunderstand, what he was asking was "how is it possible that this particular group of people who claim to espouse the values of the teachings of Jesus Christ seem to be so unconcerned about the effects of their actions on others and on the planet."

exactly...

Qdrop
01-03-2005, 12:44 PM

cause religion has become a tool to control the masses.
it's an opiat...
...a self fulfilling rationalizer.
we all know this.

SobaViolence
01-03-2005, 12:51 PM

sorry to generalize, but it seems that Americans are Jesus' #1 fans, that's all.

and technically, other sects/religions are being targeted like this throughout the world, predominantly by Christians and even more so by God fearin' Americans... (lb)

ASsman
01-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Hmmm, so who did the Bible belt vote for? Oh that's right...

And the rest of the people who didn't vote, are responsible through inaction.

little j
01-04-2005, 08:37 AM
so now its american christians who are destroying teh environment?

such retarded ness.

im a christian.
and im american
and i didn't vote for bush.
or a republican government. and im not in a really small minority either. its not like the agnostic americans are not allowing their gov't to kill, plunder and destroy God's green Earth and all of its inhabitants.

and since when is just america responsible for destroying the earth? dont they have motor cars in china and england and other places?

racer5.0stang
01-04-2005, 08:39 AM
so now its american christians who are destroying teh environment?

such retarded ness.

im a christian.
and im american
and i didn't vote for bush.
or a republican government. and im not in a really small minority either. its not like the agnostic americans are not allowing their gov't to kill, plunder and destroy God's green Earth and all of its inhabitants.

and since when is just america responsible for destroying the earth? dont they have motor cars in china and england and other places?

So you voted for someone who is for abortion. Good Choice (n)

little j
01-04-2005, 09:05 AM
yes it was a good choice.

Whois
01-04-2005, 10:27 AM
God Bless America...fuck the rest of you.

:D (y)

bb_bboy
01-04-2005, 11:38 AM

If the 'their' that appears in bold is referring to the entire Christian community of the United States as one homogenous group, then isn't it a little presumptive to ask the question as to why they (i.e. everyone who is a Christian and lives in the United States) are "allowing their gov't to kill, plunder and destroy God's green Earth and all of its inhabitants." First of all you assume to know the voting record of every Christian in the U.S., which is absurd. Second, you assume to know the daily actions of each Christian person in the US, which is absurd. Third, you asuume to know the political leanings or idealogies of each Christian in the United States, which is absurd. As much as people on here like to generalize about different groups based solely on their stereotypical associations to other organisations, any rational objective person can see right through such transparent claims.

Furthermore, keep in mind that the United States is not merely a Christian nation. It is no longer even an exclusively Judeo-Christian nation. It is rapidly becoming a Muslim-Judeo-Christian nation. The responsibility for the United States having an elected government that is willing to go to war falls on so many more shoulders, and spreads so far beyond organized religion, that to single out any one group does not make any sense. As 100% Ill stated, "The same flawed argument could be used to single out and demonize any number of religious/poilitical sects throughout the world." The whole notion is as inherently flawed as the methods developed for identifying witches hundreds of years ago.

i'mcrafty
01-04-2005, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=SobaViolence]sorry to generalize, but it seems that Americans are Jesus' #1 fans, that's all.

why did i even come into this thread? :confused: any ways here goes....what part of Earth are you from?? obviously not America i would guess france. anyway has your country been terrorized? do we not have the right to fight back? i'm not a Jesus fan and i'm an American and yes i voted for Bush, i believe in why this war was started, and i believe the Iraqi's will thank all the allies when it's all done. btw isn't there a thread to post about Jesus? i don't know why i even opened this thread, but had to respond because i love my country.

Ace42
01-04-2005, 12:17 PM
anyway has your country been terrorized?

Hundreds of countries all across the world have been targeted by terrorists, and most of them are able to address this issue without violating international law. The UK was targeted by the IRA for decades, and England didn't perform missile strikes on Eire.

do we not have the right to fight back?

"Fight back" - the Iraqis have nothing to do with 9/11, the 9/11 commission said as much. So you cannot say the US "faught back" against a 'foe' that hadn't done a damned thing against them.

Rephrase that to "Do we not have the right to start an illegal war against a country that has done nothing to us at all?" and you will be closer to the mark.

And the answer to that is "No" by the way. International law (to which the US subscribes, and is obliged to follow by its OWN GODDAMN CONSTITUTION, READ IT SOMETIME DUMBASS) expressly forbids it. Don't like it? Change your goddamn constitution and stop pretending your foreign policy is anything other than imperialist expansionist wars for oil.

i believe in why this war was started

Then you are a dumbass. Even your own government has said "no WMDs, nothing to do with 9/11" - the two reasons given for invading in the first place. What, you think you know better than EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD, INCLUDING BUSH HIMSELF?!?

Dumbass.

and i believe the Iraqi's will thank all the allies when it's all done.

The only person they will be thanking is Allah that they are still alive. Over 100,000 innocent Iraqis murdered so far and rising. Have you noticed how the Iraqis have been thanking US troops? Check the news - they killed some more marines today.

i don't know why i even opened this thread, but had to respond because i love my country.

And Nazis love Hitler. If you really love your country, kill yourself. People like you are making a mockery of all its traditional values.

SobaViolence
01-04-2005, 12:37 PM
and yes Canada has been terrorized. in the '70s.

just because you guys lost 3,000 people in ONE attack, doesn't give you the right to determine that now terrorism is a huge problem.

there's been these problems for at least 100 years, but guess what it hasn't happened to america, so you live in bliss. Your self-righteous assholes got a fucking appetizer of the misery some of the rest of the world lives with. We have been relatively blessed in North America, so shut your air hole.

no one asked you to meddle in anyone else's business, so back the fuck up with your high-handed preaching and go drive in your SUV to get some McD's.

ASsman
01-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I think this generalization is rooted in the fact that "morals" were the deciding factors in this past election. And that GWB has put an extreme emphasis on this, being a born again and all, so that is probably why it would be safe to say .. Christians don't like no towl heads...
WHITE POWER.

Not only that, but last I checked this is the president 99.9% of God fearing christians voted for.

ms.peachy
01-04-2005, 05:58 PM
why did i even come into this thread? :confused: any ways here goes....what part of Earth are you from?? obviously not America i would guess france. anyway has your country been terrorized? do we not have the right to fight back? i'm not a Jesus fan and i'm an American and yes i voted for Bush, i believe in why this war was started, and i believe the Iraqi's will thank all the allies when it's all done. btw isn't there a thread to post about Jesus? i don't know why i even opened this thread, but had to respond because i love my country.

If you actually knew anything about France, you'd know that in fairly recent history, Paris has actually suffered several series of terrorist attacks. But then, you know, you'd actually have to be educated about like boring hisotry and junk, instead of just waving yer big ol' flag around.

Grow up.

Whois
01-04-2005, 06:28 PM

Try reading some history...start with the US occupation of the Philippines starting in 1898. Mark Twain had much to say about this adventure in imperialism, not much of it was nice:

http://www.historywiz.com/primarysources/sittingindarkness.htm

"There is the case of the Philippines. I have tried hard, and yet I cannot for the life of me comprehend how we got into that mess.... I thought we should act as their protector -- not try to get them under our heel. We were to relieve them from Spanish tyranny to enable them to set up a government of their own, and we were to stand by and see that it got a fair trial.

It was not to be a government according to our ideas, but a government that represented the feeling of the majority of the Filipinos, a government according to Filipino ideas. That would have been a worthy mission for the United States. But now -- why, we have got into a mess, a quagmire from which each fresh step renders the difficulty of extrication immensely greater." - Mark Twain, Interview, Oct. 15, 1900

Sound familar?

Anyone?

Buhler?

ASsman
01-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Mark who?