PDA

View Full Version : Let's get the party started right... woops where did those cameras come from?

D_Raay
01-07-2005, 03:38 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=340420&page=1
Dec. 17, 2004 — At the same time agents of the budget-strapped Department of Homeland Security worried about being able to afford gas for government cars, top department officials, including outgoing DHS Secretary Tom Ridge, could be found basking in the warm Hawaiian sun for a meeting they said was essential government business.

While officials reported a continuing freeze on hiring new agents and a halt to non-essential spending in chilly Washington, D.C., buffet lines, lavish luaus and a short walk to the beach awaited top officials at a sumptuous resort and spa on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, on the island of Oahu.

It was the setting for the second annual Asia-Pacific Homeland Security Summit and Exposition, with most of the cost paid for by corporations seeking government contracts.
The rest of the travel expenses for the officials were picked up by the American taxpayers.

On the first day of the conference, ABC News cameras caught Ridge, along with several aides, relaxing by one of the five pools at the Honolulu resort. It was listed as "office time" on his official schedule.

Chuck Lewis, executive director of Center for Public Integrity, a government watchdog group, said homeland security has turned into a vast, wasteful pork barrel.

"Look at the opportunities lost. What else could the officials have been doing during that conference and during those days wasted?" he asked. "We have terrorists crashing embassy gates and these guys are sitting by the pool."
---
I for one do not wish for my tax dollars to be used in this fashion.
Man, I bet the powers that be absolutely abhor the internet.

You know this type of attitude suggests that all the cards are already face-up, and the era of deception is in full effect.

SobaViolence
01-07-2005, 11:04 PM
i wouldn't pay taxes if i was an american citizen.

ms.peachy
01-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Hey, no one likes to party like this administration. After all, there are to be no less than 17 inaugural galas later this month! It's touching how they've chosen "Honouring Our Troops" as the theme, in light of all the sacrifices these soldiers have made. Of course, wouldn't it be nice if instead of spending all those millions and millions and millions of dollars on galas, they actually used it to, I dunno, provide more essential safety equipment for for said soldiers? Or improve services to veterans and their families? Or, you know, any kind of real action that would actually be of any use to servicemen and women at all? Maybe?

ASsman
01-08-2005, 08:50 AM
What?Hahaha, when will you Americans learn (that excludes me of course because I have dual citizenship). I can see them now under chandeliers, with monocles, and powedered wigs. Nothing has changed, it only seems that way.

But, HOW DARE YOU! Do you expect them to fight terrorism in cold weather. Jesus Christ!

bb_bboy
01-08-2005, 08:55 AM
These powerful people have to let their hair down. You don't want them overly stressed do you?

n.b. The previous post is to be considered as tounge-in-cheek sarcasm.