PDA

View Full Version : Mexico's tips to enter US safely

ASsman
01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Mexicans thinking of crossing illegally into the USA can now get a book of tips on how to make the journey safely.
A 32-page comic guide with advice on surviving the hazards of the trip is published by Mexico's foreign ministry.

Would-be migrants are told to add salt to water to avoid dehydration in the Arizona desert, and where to swim across the Rio Grande.

US pressure groups have accused the Mexican government of encouraging illegal migration with the "manual".

Each day thousands of Mexicans enter the US on foot via the Arizona desert in the hope of finding work.

Mexico says it has a duty to protect its citizens many of whom die each year crossing the long and dangerous border.

TIPS
Not crossing a river alone and at night
Wearing light clothing - "heavy clothing becomes heavier when wet, and this makes swimming or floating difficult"
Adding salt to fresh water to avoid dehydration
Walking during times of low heat

It also informs immigrations of their medical and legal rights if they are taken into custody in the US and how to avoid trouble across the border.

"Last year over 300 Mexicans died in their attempt to enter the United States in search of a job and the government has the obligation to avoid that," said Geronimo Gutierrez, Under-secretary for North American Affairs at Mexico's foreign ministry.

"The guide clearly states that the safe and appropriate way to enter any country is with a valid passport and a visa, and in no way promotes undocumented immigration," Mr Gutierrez said.

US pressure groups say they are concerned.

"With this document the Mexican government not only has not instructed its citizens to obey immigration law but, in rich detail, it has supplied a manual on how to circumvent US immigration law," said John Keeley, director of communication for the Center for Immigration Studies in the US.

"It's very, very troubling."

The US State Department has issued a statement praising co-operation with the Mexican authorities in improving safety along the border.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4152307.stm

Qdrop
01-07-2005, 08:10 AM
yeah......that's fuckin great.

fuck international law......just come on in.

guess we "deserve it" for not following international law ourselves, huh? :rolleyes:

Spanishbomb808
01-07-2005, 11:06 PM
At this point, it would be best to respond with a solar-powered electrified fence that can run down from Sandy Eggo to the Gulf o' Mecsiker.

Heck, it can be like in Jurassic Park. Except that the dinosaurs would be poor immigrants and the jungle would be the desert.

In all honesty, I laughed at that governement's gall. It takes a lot of cojones to do something as brazenly ridiculous as this.

SobaViolence
01-08-2005, 12:47 AM
i thought NAFTA encouraged free trade?

Ace42
01-08-2005, 01:00 AM
"The guide clearly states that the safe and appropriate way to enter any country is with a valid passport and a visa, and in no way promotes undocumented immigration," Mr Gutierrez said.

(...)

"With this document the Mexican government not only has not instructed its citizens to obey immigration law but, in rich detail, it has supplied a manual on how to circumvent US immigration law," said John Keeley, director of communication for the Center for Immigration Studies in the US.

I think the "director of communication" needs to brush up on his communication skills:

"The appropriate way to enter any country is with a valid passport and visa, and in no way promoted undocumented immigration"

"has not instructed its citizens to obey immigration law."

I put my money on it being the yank who is a lying fuckface.

ASsman
01-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I like SB's idea. Also, there should a fake (almost like movie prop) Taco stand off in some direction. To lure them in and them BAM! Sticky web type non-lethal spiderman type shit.

Spanishbomb808
01-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Wait... if you left a country laden with taco stands, wouldn't you be prone to go to, say, a McDonald's instead?

Green Horn
01-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Well thats what America gets for stealing Mexican Land, Assholes!

Rosie Cotton
01-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Wait... if you left a country laden with taco stands, wouldn't you be prone to go to, say, a McDonald's instead?
Perhaps a Pizza Hut?

Spanishbomb808
01-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Chinese food, too.

There's lots of Asian food establishments in Tijuana. It's trippy seeing them there, and speaking spanish as well.

jennyb
01-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Jesus! I'd heard about this but thought for sure it had to be a joke. Whoa. And yes, I often think how not that long ago, California was once a part of Mexico. I work in the construction industry and know a few who've done this crossing the border stuff.... crazy.