PDA

View Full Version : Democracy Doomed In Iraq?

100% ILL
01-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Is Democracy only successful when it's based in a nation which follows Judeo-Christian principles?

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/1/62005f.asp

Earlier this week, Republican Mark Souder was one of the speakers at a bipartisan prayer service before the opening of the 109th session of Congress. He told the audience that religious faith is the conscience of democracy.

"The United States was at its founding, and still is, not only a religious nation but largely a Christian nation," Souder said. "Through Judeo-Christian beliefs that anchor our legal, our economic, our military, and our political system, the balance of powers and constraints upon the state -- and thus upon the majority -- assume the sinful nature of man and one that is not perfectable."

Without a faith grounded in such beliefs, the congressman said, democracy as it is known in the United States cannot work -- and he believes that could well be the case in Iraq.

ASsman
01-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Democra-what? Oh that's what we are trying to do, well if we don't start trying harder...

But I'm sure just because we have to wait until the last day to airdrop election supplies.. we aren't doomed.

Ace42
01-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Is Democracy only successful when it's based in a nation which follows Judeo-Christian principles?

Which judeo-christian principles would those be? The one where government is controlled by a king appointed by God? The one where a country's expansionism and genocide of the indigenous population is sanctioned by "divine providence" ?

The Judeo-Christian principles which founded the US's democracy involved the belief that God had given white men guns in order to eradicate the Indians, allowing the good Christians to control the fat-land.

Or would they be the traditional Judeo-Christian principles of using electric voting machines to rig an election, thereby securing God's candidate his position without the need for Him to get involved?

Echewta
01-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Our U.S. sponsored elections worked so well in El Salvador in the 80s, I don't know what people are worried about.

SobaViolence
01-11-2005, 01:50 PM
i just found it funny he thought politics, economics and balance of power are based on judeo-christian principals...and that morals can only be found in the bible.

Then God said, 'What a fucking tool.'

ps. america didn't invent democracy...pagan greeks did in between ritual sacrifices and orgies.

ASsman
01-11-2005, 02:22 PM
I remember those origies. I remember them well.