PDA

View Full Version : Bush coronation to top 50 million

D_Raay
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1386231,00.html

Bush 'the king' blows $50m on coronation

President's lavish inauguration is 'obscene' when US troops are dying in Iraq war, say critics.

It will be one of the biggest parties in American history, but half of the country will be left out. With a price tag of up to $50 million, President George W Bush's inauguration in 11 days' time will be an unashamed celebration of Red America's victory over Blue America in last November's election.

It is going to be the most expensive, most security-obsessed event in the history of Washington DC. An army of 10,000 police, secret service officers and FBI agents will patrol the capital for four days of massive celebrations that some critics have derided as reminiscent of the lavish shindigs thrown by Louis XIV, France's extravagant Sun King.

The fighting in Iraq has provoked calls for the celebrations to be toned down, as they were during the two world wars when some were even cancelled. Bush's second inauguration will be the first in wartime since President Richard Nixon took office in 1969 during the Vietnam conflict.

Yet the partying is being intensified. The Commander-in-Chief's Ball is being hailed by organisers as a fitting tribute to American soldiers on active service. More than 2,000 troops and their partners, selected by the Pentagon, will take part. Most have served in Iraq or Afghanistan or are about to go there. The parades will have a stronger than normal military theme.

The $50m bill is mostly being paid by private donations from people and firms currying political favour. With a strict ban on large single donations to active political campaigns, the inauguration offers a rare chance for companies and individuals to lavish large sums of money on the President and his party simultaneously.

The big donors are split into 'underwriters', who stumped up $250,000 each, and 'sponsors', who merely shelled out $100,000. Both gain access to a variety of events that will be attended by Bush. The donors are a familiar roster of Republican supporters and big business. They include firms in the President's former business, oil, such as Exxon Mobil and ChevronTexaco, former Enron president Richard Kinder and Texas oil baron Boone Pickens, who also gave $500,000 to the anti-John Kerry campaign of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

---
I wonder what our soldiers would think if they knew of this? They don't have proper equipment to fight "the King's" bloody war with, but 50 million can be raised for a week of partying.
What will be the final straw for this administration? I'm certainly there, what will it take for everyone else?
Anyone aware of the "doomsday" bill that was just passed that effectively puts the powers of Congress into a select few's hands in the event of an emergency situation?
Anyone aware that Bush recently said that he would not listen or hear any news from Iraq that was "bad news"?

QueenAdrock
01-10-2005, 07:18 PM
you and me are still gonna go moon the facism brigade, right?

yeahwho
01-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Didn't they already do this four years ago? From what I remember the parade was a bust. That is the only event real people can almost attend.

Here is the route for those who want to attend, with the obligatory counter balls. http://inauguralmap.com/

ASsman
01-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't think 50m is enough to buy all the armor in the World. So quit your liberal bitching.

D_Raay
01-11-2005, 01:12 AM
you and me are still gonna go moon the facism brigade, right?
Definitely....

Beth
01-11-2005, 03:19 AM
Anyone aware of the "doomsday" bill that was just passed that effectively puts the powers of Congress into a select few's hands in the event of an emergency situation?
the only doomsday bill i'm aware of is from april of 2004, which allows for special congressional elections within 45 days should a large group of lawmakers be killed in a massive attack.

http://thomas.loc.gov (search 108th congress for H.R. 2844; no, it won't link properly).

can you link me to what you're talking about?

D_Raay
01-11-2005, 12:12 PM
the only doomsday bill i'm aware of is from april of 2004, which allows for special congressional elections within 45 days should a large group of lawmakers be killed in a massive attack.

http://thomas.loc.gov (search 108th congress for H.R. 2844; no, it won't link properly).

can you link me to what you're talking about?
With no fanfare, the U.S. House has passed a controversial doomsday provision that would allow a handful of lawmakers to run Congress if a terrorist attack or major disaster killed or incapacitated large numbers of congressmen.
``I think (the new rule) is terrible in a whole host of ways - first, I think it's unconstitutional,'' said Norm Ornstein, a counselor to the independent Continuity of Government Commission, a bipartisan panel created to study the issue. ``It's a very foolish thing to do, I believe, and the way in which it was done was more foolish.''
http://news.bostonherald.com/politics/view.bg?articleid=62564