PDA

View Full Version : And the next contestant is......

D_Raay
01-11-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.acsblog.org/news-and-announcements-640-white-house-chooses-new-homeland-security-chief.html

White House Chooses New Homeland Security Chief

The White House has chosen Third Circuit judge Michael Chertoff as its new nominee for Department of Homeland Security chief. According to AP reports, "Chertoff headed the Justice Department's criminal division from 2001 to 2003, where he played a central role in the nation's legal response to the Sept. 11 attacks, before the president named him to appeals court position in New Jersey." He was also a clerk for Justice Brennan in the Supreme Court, and a partner at Latham and Watkins. ABC News reports that during his Senate confirmation hearings in 2003, only Senator Hillary Clinton voted against him. Counterpunch has a highly critical article on his role in the Zacarias Moussaoui trial.

UPDATE 1/11/05, 11:00am by Ian: According to American University Law Professor and ACS Faculty Advisory Herman Schwartz, Chertoff is the second major Bush cabinet nominee to be involved in the scandal over abusive treatment of detainees. In an August 18, 2004 op-ed published in Newsday, Schwartz writes that "[h]arsh 'stress and duress' tactics used by the CIA in early 2002 - such as simulated drowning - were reviewed and apparently cleared by the Justice Department Criminal Division, then headed by Michael Chertoff."

Qdrop
01-11-2005, 12:35 PM
let the liberal/democrat dirt digging begin.

i predict they'll have some callous nickname for him by friday.

D_Raay
01-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Once again Q, it's got nothing to do with "the Left". It's common sense. As is the case with Gonzales. There are surely some candidates out there for this position that can't be tied to torture now can't there?

Qdrop
01-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Once again Q, it's got nothing to do with "the Left". It's common sense.

so when the democrats inevitabley go after him with every bit of trash they can dig up....it will have NOTHING to do with him being a conservative?
nothing?
just pure, objective reporting?

and you say i live in a fantasy world.
:rolleyes:

whatever, just drop it.......

Qdrop
01-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Q believes in torture so I dont think you are going to get a sympathetic ear from him.

ehh.....i haven't made up my mind about it.

if national security and innocent lives can be saved..AND the information gained from torture can be CORROBERATED FOR ACCURACY....
then, maybe.

it is a disgusting act though.

100% ILL
01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Here ya go Q

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/11/prisoner.abuse.graner.ap/index.html

Qdrop
01-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Here ya go Q

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/11/prisoner.abuse.graner.ap/index.html

point?

yeah......torture sucks. the people who get picked to do it undoubtedly have some issues.

but if we shocked some prisoner into telling officials where a dirty bomb was, particualarly if it was next to your childrens school, you would change your mind considerabley.

D_Raay
01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
so when the democrats inevitabley go after him with every bit of trash they can dig up....it will have NOTHING to do with him being a conservative?
nothing?
just pure, objective reporting?

and you say i live in a fantasy world.
:rolleyes:

whatever, just drop it.......
Meh, democrat or republican, makes no difference to me. Of course it's going to be the dems. that go after him. Wouldn't help any republican's career to do so.
Once again I say, isn't there someone who cannot be tied to torture?

ASsman
01-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Damn liberal cunts.