PDA

View Full Version : favourite Canadian hip-hop act

tdot04
02-14-2005, 02:50 PM
oh, what's mine, you ask?

Choclair. He's probably the biggest name in Canadian hip-hop (perhaps k-Os is as of late), but he's deserving of it. He has his commercial shit (which for the most part is pretty good, Let's Ride was a damn good anthem) and he has songs like 21 Years, Skunk, Back Where I've Stayed that blow me away (think Jay-Z). My runner-up would probably have to be Kardinal Offishall.

so yeah, who's yours?

dublirie04
02-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Snow

Syke :eek:

tdot04
02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Snow

Oh, I thought you were nuts 'til I saw the "syke" part.

Wait... he's Canadian?

DroppinScience
02-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Of your choices, K-Os of course.

But my fave is Buck 65! (y)

Hector_Sancho
02-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Snow

Licky boom boom down! (y) :D

tdot04
02-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Of your choices, K-Os of course.

But my fave is Buck 65! (y)

damn I messed up bad, forgot all about him! Him & Infinite. And Buck 65 just dropped an album too. :(

I should've at least put an "other" option. Oh well, my bad, what's done is done. :)

Monsieur Decuts
02-14-2005, 03:23 PM
i wouldn't call it a new album, its looks to be a compilation of old songs, judging by the song titles, cooked up for US release.

DroppinScience
02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
i wouldn't call it a new album, its looks to be a compilation of old songs, judging by the song titles, cooked up for US release.

Actually most of those old songs are re-recorded versions of tracks that are either hard to find or unreleased.

There may even be the obligatory new track or so to reel in the hardcore fans too.

beastieibe
02-14-2005, 03:26 PM
i voted kardinal simply because of the fact that when i went to go see a snoop show at copps coliseum in hamilton ontario, choclair opened for him and he had kardinal out as a guest and dude straight RIPPED it. he was out for the majority of the choclair set and killed choclair on his own set as well as had more presense and ability on stage then snoop himself....not many rappers who come out as guest spot for the opening act can rip apart the headliner. kardinal deserves respect

saml
02-14-2005, 04:05 PM
that guy Abdominal who made a few tracks with DJ Format, isn't he canadian? if he is then he's my favourite.

CSAR
02-14-2005, 05:12 PM
I would pick Infinite if he was there. I chose Kardinal because he's got the old school rhyming ability, and killer beats.

nobbus
02-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Len

mickill
02-14-2005, 05:41 PM
There've only ever been two or three real notable hip hop acts ever (Maestro, Kardinall and Brassmunk). The rest easily disappear in the American hip hop landscape, and understandably so. When they're shrugged off as poor imitations, it's because that's what a lot of them are. Once they stop impersonating (Choclair, Ghetto Concept, Bishop) and start taking a different/more original approach that doesn't suck (talking to you, Harpoon Missile), the rest of the world might start taking them seriously.

K-Os (while I still like the guy) = poor man's Mos Def

Choclair = very poor man's Jay-Z

Saukrates = poor man's GZA with a dash of Jeru, on the r&b tip with a pop feel, appeal, to him

Swollen Members = fruity sellout formulaic hip hop combo

Bishop = clown

The Rascalz = totally overrated (in Canada) group. Decent beats at times, but Red and Misfit CANNOT be taken seriously on the mic.

Infinite = poor man's Nas

DroppinScience
02-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh c'mon, K-Os is his own man and he gives legitimacy to the words "Canadian hip-hop."

If you're to compare K-Os to anybody south of the border, I'd choose Wyclef Jean (in that they both do a lot of genre hybridization), but he's no "poor man's." :mad:

tdot04
02-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Bishop = clown

Yeah I don't even understand why I even put him on the list. I guess he stood out in my mind as crap, but I wanted second opinions.

got to give Brassmunk huges props for The Throwback (Somekind Of Wonderfull) cut

Yeah that song was excellent. Can't wait for some new Brassmunk. (y)

The main reason I made this thread is because I'm kinda proud and bored with the state of Canadian hip-hop. Proud because we have a nice little crop quality artists representing Canada to the fullest. Bored because there's a general lack of Canadian rap artists! Even though I forgot Buck 65, Infinite, Concise, and least importantly, Ghetto Concept, I still am proud of where Canadian rap stands today.

Nobody's mentioned Jelleestone. :rolleyes:

HEIRESS
02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
"Big" by brassmunk always makes me move my ass

I adore Josh Martinez
definately my favorite hippy rapper

and I really used to like Mood Ruff
dunno if they have put out anything new lately

mickill
02-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Mickill some of the guys you listed deserve a little more credit.

:D

I gave credit to the same people you did: Maestro, Kardinall and Brassmunk. There's more talent out there; I just don't think you'll find the rest on that list.

DroppinScience, I like K-Os, but yes, to me, he's a poor man's Mos Def. Check out The New Danger and you might see what I mean. Wyclef's a retard who'd be in about grade 4 if you were to equate rhyming ability to school......high school. I wouldn't insult K-Os with such a comparison.

This thread just reminded me of a song I like: R.A.W. by Checkmate ft. Concise and Royce the 5'9" (stupidest rap moniker ever, by the way). Checkmate and Concise being from Vancouver and Royce from Detroit. The beat's dope and the rhymes are decent, but one dude stands out head and shoulders above everybody else on the track. I won't spell it out, but I'll give you all a hint: it's the one who's not named Checkmate or Concise.

Not knocking Canadian rap, just saying that it's got a long way to go.

SobaViolence
02-14-2005, 10:00 PM
sweatshop union...hands down.

tdot04
02-14-2005, 10:05 PM
sweatshop union...hands down.

Damn, I should've put more thought into my list. I completely forgot about them too.

Way to make me look bad in front of all these nice people. :(

Bobtwi
02-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Man I must really be out of the loop.The only name I recognize is,Dam I cant even remember his name.Snow?That dude who did Informer?I dont know,I thought you Canadiens were only good for hockey and the McKenzie brothers.Take off eh.

Lindsey_1535
02-14-2005, 10:40 PM
bha you stupid hoser, take off

Freebasser
02-14-2005, 10:41 PM
I have never heard of any of these guys. The UK isn't really that big on Canadian rap I'm afraid (n)

Lindsey_1535
02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
canada isn't either

Freebasser
02-14-2005, 10:44 PM
Haha :D

*High five*

Lindsey_1535
02-14-2005, 10:45 PM
*high five*
Lindsey 1
Canada nothing

Freebasser
02-14-2005, 10:49 PM
But you live in Canada :(

Bobtwi
02-14-2005, 10:54 PM
bha you stupid hoser, take off
Take off hoser.

Rosie Cotton
02-15-2005, 03:57 AM
I've never heard of any of these people. I picked Swollen Members, simply because the name intrigues me.

CSAR
02-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah I don't even understand why I even put him on the list. I guess he stood out in my mind as crap, but I wanted second opinions.

Yeah that song was excellent. Can't wait for some new Brassmunk. (y)

The main reason I made this thread is because I'm kinda proud and bored with the state of Canadian hip-hop. Proud because we have a nice little crop quality artists representing Canada to the fullest. Bored because there's a general lack of Canadian rap artists! Even though I forgot Buck 65, Infinite, Concise, and least importantly, Ghetto Concept, I still am proud of where Canadian rap stands today.

Nobody's mentioned Jelleestone. :rolleyes:

What about Thrust too??

HEIRESS
02-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Thrust's verse is my favorite part of the ensemble for the song "Northern Touch"

mickill
02-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Not a huge Thrust fan.

Best thing about Northern Touch was the BT Express sample.

And Kardinall's hook.

EN[i]GMA
02-15-2005, 02:57 PM
MC Abdominal is so much better than anyone else listed it isn't even funny.

http://www.ruben.fm/videos.html

Watch the video for "Viscious Battle Raps" and get back to me.

HEIRESS
02-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Not a huge Thrust fan.

Best thing about Northern Touch was the BT Express sample.

And Kardinall's hook.

you mean kardinall's lips

beastiedan
02-15-2005, 07:51 PM
k-os and kardi both deserve to be really really famous.

i suggest everyone unfamiliar with him look into his shit. think wyclef meets mos def with a touch of andre 3000. but i hate to drop names becuase he really is his own man.

Monsieur Decuts
02-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Actually most of those old songs are re-recorded versions of tracks that are either hard to find or unreleased.

There may even be the obligatory new track or so to reel in the hardcore fans too.

what are you talking about hard to find or unreleased...four of them are on his last release and the rest are from his Warner Music days and I could find most of them in the record bin at the shitty little records shop here in VT. maybe it helps that i grew up in halifax and was super exposed to him through the treatment show and stinkin rich shiet

DroppinScience
02-17-2005, 04:18 PM
what are you talking about hard to find or unreleased...four of them are on his last release and the rest are from his Warner Music days and I could find most of them in the record bin at the shitty little records shop here in VT. maybe it helps that i grew up in halifax and was super exposed to him through the treatment show and stinkin rich shiet

I don't have the album yet, but I was just telling you what Spin Magazine said in their review of the album. Maybe they were referring to the fact that for American audiences, much of the material would be tough to find? Beats me.:confused:

madchild
02-17-2005, 09:19 PM
i have heard most canadian hip hop and sorry canadians it sucks. americans invented hip hop and no one can do it as well as we can. anyway dude you guys can rag on swollen members all you want but them and the rest of battle axe records pretty much dominate canadian hip hop.

EN[i]GMA
02-18-2005, 08:54 AM
i have heard most canadian hip hop and sorry canadians it sucks. americans invented hip hop and no one can do it as well as we can. anyway dude you guys can rag on swollen members all you want but them and the rest of battle axe records pretty much dominate canadian hip hop.

Except for MC Abdominal.

The motherfucker can rhyme.

SobaViolence
02-18-2005, 09:55 AM

the south bronx 'invented' hip hop, ass. you know, the ghetto where The Man shoves all the poor blacks and spaniards...

DroppinScience
02-18-2005, 02:05 PM

Canada's population of black people only numbers to around the population of Vermont. Give us a break.... jeeeez. :rolleyes:

Judge individual rap artists on their quality and talent, not their nationality.

Parkey
02-18-2005, 03:42 PM
What about McEnroe and Chilly Gonzales?

Monsieur Decuts
02-18-2005, 03:42 PM
right and vermonts black population is equal to the population of antartica.

sad really.

who's had the most influence though in Hip Hop...i'd say Kid Koala has had his hand in lots of shit...same with A track Dj in with the big names..they're not so much acts as they are key contributers though

balohna
02-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Swollen Members.

muddfoot
02-19-2005, 01:48 AM
I can't believe nobody mentioned "Organized Rhyme", if my memorie serves me right, this was the name of Tom Green's rap group. :cool:

DroppinScience
02-19-2005, 01:49 AM
I can't believe nobody mentioned "Organized Rhyme", if my memorie serves me right, this was the name of Tom Green's rap group. :cool:

"Pass the O.J.
Cause I got juice
I lay more chicks
Than Mother Goose"

Uhhh.... no. :p

cosmo105
02-19-2005, 02:06 AM
Snow
inforrrrrmah
youknowyourdaddysmokeslikealamb
awickyboomboomya

bgirl1929
02-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Ahhhh. is that what he says never knew that...never knew there were Canadian rappers either...besides snow...I can go to bed now that I learned something today.

cosmo105
02-19-2005, 02:30 AM
no, that's just what my friend and i say whenever we hear that song.

The Notorious LOL
02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Im pretty sure Main Source is canadian aside from Large Professor.

Bobtwi
02-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Canada's population of black people only numbers to around the population of Vermont. Give us a break.... jeeeez. :rolleyes:

Judge individual rap artists on their quality and talent, not their nationality.
Nobody can do it like americans can.We got the d double o d double o style aye.

keith peace
04-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Countin 'em down 1,2,3

-STINK MITT (Vancouver)
two crazy chicks with the dj from Organized Ryhme

-Buck 65
I have heard him a couple times and basically he presents some new style

-SweatShop Union
Heard them once before and thought it was alright