PDA

View Full Version : What's the appeal of vinyl in today's age?

DroppinScience
02-19-2005, 05:30 PM
At the risk of being outed as not being Music Snob-y enough, I'm gonna ask this.

A segment of today's music listening youth loves to get anything they can in vinyl form. Even if they already have said album in CD form.

The question is: WHY?

Do they sound better? (As far as my observations with my Dad, if you take immensely good care of your vinyl, they can sound just as good as a CD, but never better. The only cases where I can think of vinyl being better sonically is if in the digital mastering back in the 80s, it was kind of a crummy transfer. I think Funky Hi-Fi can explain this better than I can. I remember my Dad demonstrating this with a Searchers song)

Is it because the artwork is printed on a much larger cover? (That I can see, nothing like seeing a cool album cover in a bigger size)

Is it just the "hip" thing to do?

Vinyl lovers, spill the beans to this woefully uneducated CD listening loser.

Maybe for me is that I don't have a record player (my Dad has one though) and the bottom line for me is: I just gotta hear my music, so CD will be the way to go.

The only vinyl album I have is the Country Mike album (found that in Chicago last year) and I haven't even listened to it, because, again I got no record player. :(

Bobtwi
02-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Cuttin n scratchin my brotha.

DroppinScience
02-19-2005, 05:48 PM

Well that's cool! (y)

But for the non-DJ's among us.... EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!! :D

Spanishbomb808
02-19-2005, 05:53 PM

Even I'll admit that scratching Van Halen's "Jump" is a hoot :)

Bobtwi
02-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Well that's cool! (y)

But for the non-DJ's among us.... EXPLAIN YOURSELVES!! :D
Got nothin else just cuttin n scratchin.

Bobtwi
02-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Even I'll admit that scratching Van Halen's "Jump" is a hoot :)
I remember the first record I attempted to cut up was UTFO's Roxanne Roxanne.Just yo,yo ,yo over and over.

Space
02-19-2005, 06:04 PM
i have less than 100 and most i have never even listened too, but very few have not been scratched.

synch
02-19-2005, 06:12 PM
I grew up listening to vinyl and I still do sometimes. There is a few albums I don't have in any other format but I listen to the ones I do have occasionally for sentimental values. Whenever I listen to Bohemian Rhapsody I hear a scratch that's on my record even if I'm listening to it on tv.

For me it's all about nostalgia :)

A. Remin' D.
02-19-2005, 06:41 PM
I have around 500+ vinyl albums and 100+ 45's. I'm 15, I don't scratch much, I'm just kinda nostalgic.

Documad
02-19-2005, 06:43 PM
DroppinScience, you asked about why youth buy vinyl. I'm definitely not youth. I have a lot of vinyl because I was as obsessive about collecting music when I was young as you are now.

I don't usually buy new vinyl records except from a few groups I'm obsessed about, but I still buy the old vinyl when I can find it cheap. With really old vinyl (my parents' era) the packaging is just gorgeous. I love all the sets of matching records. I love being able to read the lyrics and liner notes!

There is something almost sexual about the way a needle sounds on vinyl. It is probably nostalgia but I honestly like the more human sound of old vinyl rather than the clean sound of new CDs sometimes. Beck was very clever to start Where It's At with the sound of a needle on vinyl.

I'm not some weirdo by the way. I don't type on a typewriter. I don't have an old telephone. Although I do collect cool pens. :o

And in my book album can mean CD, but record means vinyl. ;) I don't think the grammys agree.

Freebasser
02-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Vinyl is so emo.

franscar
02-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Vinyl is so emo.

Vinyl is also so heavy and leaves you so susceptible to paper cuts. (n)

Freebasser
02-19-2005, 08:06 PM
I thought vinyl was made from crabs and lobsters, not paper? :confused:

The Notorious LOL
02-19-2005, 08:08 PM
dunno, some stuff you can only get on vinyl usually such as a lot of rap instrumentals and mashups and such. One of my favorite albums/eps was the first UNKLE jawn and thats only been released on wax. If an album is available on vinyl or cd, I'll definetly get the cd.

Bobtwi
02-19-2005, 08:11 PM
dunno, some stuff you can only get on vinyl usually such as a lot of rap instrumentals and mashups and such. One of my favorite albums/eps was the first UNKLE jawn and thats only been released on wax. If an album is available on vinyl or cd, I'll definetly get the cd.
Its "joint" not "jawn",all though it's pronounced like jawn.

DroppinScience
02-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Vinyl is so emo.

True.

Once I was at a record store and I observed this couple checking out the vinyl records. They were dressed emo to the nines. :eek:

Freebasser
02-19-2005, 08:24 PM
What?

I was too busy forcing my record player into my messanger bag to pay attention to what you were saying.

Gareth
02-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Its "joint" not "jawn",all though it's pronounced like jawn.

my msn name at the moment is jawn stockton.

i buy vinyl cos it makes me 10 times cooler....i dont even have listening facilities.

alruggs
02-19-2005, 08:31 PM
I needa needle.

cosmo105
02-19-2005, 08:41 PM
i've found some awesome rare stuff on vinyl...and it's soooo fun to scratch. other than that, i can pretend to be a snob :cool:

DroppinScience
02-19-2005, 08:41 PM
*Waits patiently for Matt's 30-page essay on why he loves vinyl*

:p

Rosie Cotton
02-19-2005, 08:46 PM
The quality on a CD is definately better than on vinyl, but vinyl sounds warmer, if that makes any sense.

I would just like to add, I have never bought an album that I already had just because I found it on wax. I have, however, bought a couple of CDs that I already had on vinyl, just because it's a bit easier to listen to "Roxanne" in a car when you have it on CD.

alruggs
02-19-2005, 08:48 PM
I love browsing at Hip Hop Site...not-so-emo. I love the smell of vinyl, the sound of vinyl, the feel of vinyl. There's a big difference between browsing through plastic cases of CDs and flipping through vinyl albums. I'm not being very articulate, but it's just good OKAY?!

ASsman
02-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Retro, and Emo.

Retro is "cool" now, first off because most music now is complete crap. So if there is an "underground" movement, e.g. vynyl, companies see that it sells, put it on MTV, and now Retro is in.

SobaViolence
02-19-2005, 09:27 PM
vinyl stopped being cool when led zeppelin ceased releasing albums...

A. Remin' D.
02-19-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't buy a lot of new shit on records, I have a lot of older ones like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, a lot of stuff like that.

A. Remin' D.
02-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, scratching to Axel F (Beverly Hills Cop theme) is awesome. (y)

Spanishbomb808
02-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention, scratching to Axel F (Beverly Hills Cop theme) is awesome. (y)

Ironically, I saw part of that flick today. I got bored, but I watched it and the background music rules. Have you heard the "Axel F" remix of "Ch-check it Out"? Neat stuff (y)

Oh, and your avatar rocks.

FunkyHiFi
02-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Vinyl vs. CD, a subject that on audio equipment forums can cause some of the most heated discussions I have ever read on the Net among supposedly mature adults and where " :rolleyes: " gets used a LOT!

But thankfully here it's all about enjoying music*, so I'll just stick to the basics.**

Technical differences

Vinyl does sound different than the CD version because of the wildly different sound delivery systems. Without getting too deep about it, vinyl mostly sounds different because...............

1) the stylus (i.e. needle) has to follow a groove pressed into soft plastic and that plastic cannot 100% accurately preserve the shape of certain waveforms (i.e. sounds) that were heard in the studio, especially high frequency ones like cymbals, bells, "S" sounds in human speech, etc. And if it is able to do this using the right plastics and cutting heads at the pressing plant, they don't usually last long once they are played a few times > the needle starts grinding them down. Though to be fair, if a good stylus is used this will take maybe a couple dozen plays before you start to notice it. I have albums I've played way more than that and cymbal crashes for example still sound clear, though now a little bit muted. Anyhoo, the rounding off of the higher frequency waveforms is part of the reason vinyl usually sounds "warmer"--or softer/velvety/smoother--than the CD version.

Also the bass on most vinyl is not as powerful or defined as CD because you can only cut so big a groove in vinyl--i.e. volume level--before it causes the needle to literally jump out of the groove while playing it. But that's all relative--my vinyl copy of The Cars' Panorama album has a song called "Touch And Go" with bass drums that can make my couch cushions vibrate almost like one of those electric massage chairs I see at the mall.

Lastly, the vinyl playback process--the groove, the needle, the tiny mechanical and electrical parts in the cartridge (where the needle is mounted), and the phono preamplifier (the special circuit in a receiver that amplifies the very tiny signal the cartridge generates)--all work together to produce something called even-ordered harmonic distortion and phase anomalies. The distortion, which is in very small amounts, is actually subtly perceived to sound good. Think of it as a very thin, almost invisible layer of honey on a biscuit--mmmmm. The phase thing helps to give vinyl that "airy" quality many people report hearing (intentional phase changes are used in recording studios for a variety of special effects, including causing 3-dimensional effects with just two speakers).

CD? It doesn't have problems with grooves softening and it doesn't have problems with its laser jumping out of the optical pits in the CD. Technically speaking it is more accurate than vinyl but digital does have problems of its own but they are quite a bit less severe than vinyl's and not nearly as audible, or aren't audible at all. Digital processes usually produce odd-ordered harmonic distortion--which is not pleasant to hear--but it is produced in very tiny quantities so for all practical purposes you can't hear it.

The "cold" sound a lot of people report hearing on certain CDs is usually caused when:

a) the CD wasn't mastered correctly (using bad EQ choices, too much compression, etc);

b) the original master tape--either analog or digital--used low quality recording equipment or

c) the person doing the reporting simply likes the warmer sound of vinyl and in comparison CDs sound dead/lifeless/shrill (this is where a lot of arguments start because just like the ones concerning religion and politics, there is really no right or wrong answer--whatcha like is whatcha like so I usually just stay out of those kinds of discussions).

And be aware that "a" or "b" can also cause vinyl to sound cold. But since digital can be so accurate in comparison, when the recording and/or mastering engineer screws up digital is merciless about this & those screw ups show up much more audibly on the CD version. This last point was the reason many early digital studio recordings and master tape > CD transfers sounded awful, usually way too bright or harsh & grainy sounding (and unfortunately there are still bad recordings being made right now but usually it is not due to bad equipment but instead it's actually operator error. So just because something says "digital" on it is no guarantee of good sonic quality). Just like when you're driving a sports car for the first time with sensitive steering, you had better pay attention to what you're doing--because if you don't, when you reach over to change the radio station you might find yourself halfway in the next lane!

Emotional differences

These are pretty obvious as some have already written about: much larger & easier to see artwork; lyrics are easier to read; the cover is paper, so it's (literally) a more organic thing to hold in your hand; vinyl comes from a much older/simpler time; and vinyl requires care to help it to sound its best, almost like a pet: you need to keep it clean, it's playback device (i.e. turntable) needs to be kept clean and mechanically maintained periodically; you are involved with its functioning (i.e. every 15 minutes or so you have to get up & flip it over). But with a CD you just blow off the big chunks of dust & stick it in the player & push play. Where's the fun in that?

Personally I like the CD format more than vinyl because with CD I believe I'm hearing more of what the musician wanted me to hear which is very important to me. And, it won't wear out from playing it & CDs are much more robust. And lastly, like with most analog equipment, with vinyl you really get what you pay for, i.e. a really cheap turntable sounds really cheap whereas a cheap CD player can actually sound pretty decent. But I won't deny that vinyl has its own special sound that is definitely nice to hear and why I bought a new turntable a couple years ago to hear my own vinyl from the 80s and the vinyl I'm picking up at garage sales and resale shops for outrageously low prices. And a nice turntable, with a spinning record on it with a slender tonearm hovering over it & delicately tracing the grooves, can look so cool--no CD player I've seen has that kind of personality.

Vinyl is more fussy than CD but can still sound very good so it's more than just a retro thing with many people. (y)

P.S. this (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=25128) is my turntable; and the maker (http://shure.com/phono/catphono_hifi.html) of my cartridge (mine was recently discontinued but cost $80). Shure makes one of the most highly regarded carts in the industry, the V15VxMR. It costs about $300.

* many audiophiles I've known or read about seem to worry more about how the music SOUNDS rather than how good the music itself is, in other words they seem to use music to hear their equipment, rather than the other way around. If you think I'm picky about audio, go to audioasylum.com and many of the "inmates" there will amaze you.

** BTW: when I use the word "digital" here I'm referring to a digital format called PCM which is what CDs use, and not MP3s. The MP3 format uses a file compression system that actually throws away parts of the music that the average human supposedly can't hear, and the lower the kbps rate the larger the chunks that are missing and the worse the sound becomes, especially in the higher frequencies.

The Notorious LOL
02-20-2005, 12:54 AM
used vinyl is always cheaper too. I think I got promos of most of the Roc-A-Fella catalog for maybe $20 total at $1 a record...some of which were clean promos, others were dj dirty version promos. Dipset!

Spanishbomb808
02-20-2005, 12:57 AM
used vinyl is always cheaper too.

Viva yard sales.

Rosie Cotton
02-20-2005, 01:05 AM
I think that, with the exception of Rage Against the Machine's first album and Rubber Soul by the Beatles, I have not paid more than four bucks for vinyl. I bought every album by the Police (including their greatest hits collection) for about ten dollars.

KingSpanner
02-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Rarity of certain records
Cheapness
Big artwork that can be put on walls

KingSpanner
02-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Its also solid proof that you actually own music and you are a fan

DroppinScience
02-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Funky Hi-Fi...

YOU fascinate me. :)

synch
02-20-2005, 02:52 AM
I have, however, bought a couple of CDs that I already had on vinyl, just because it's a bit easier to listen to "Roxanne" in a car when you have it on CD.
Those car turn table systems never really took off did they :D

Incidently, Outlandos D'Amour is one of my most cherished vinyls.

synch
02-20-2005, 03:03 AM
And be aware that "a" or "b" can also cause vinyl to sound cold. But since digital can be so accurate in comparison, when the recording and/or mastering engineer screws up digital is merciless about this & those screw ups show up much more audibly on the CD version. This last point was the reason many early digital studio recordings and master tape > CD transfers sounded awful, usually way too bright or harsh & grainy sounding (and unfortunately there are still bad recordings being made right now but usually it is not due to bad equipment but instead it's actually operator error.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication.

It clips.

Schoolboy error and quite infuriating. I mean... come on... didn't they listen to it before they went off and made a zillion copies of it??

Nice post incidently :)

Matt
02-20-2005, 04:09 AM
*Waits patiently for Matt's 30-page essay on why he loves vinyl*

:p

You won't get it now :mad:

Pretty much everything you said in your original post. I love the sound they produce. Big fat analog sounds, as opposed to digital. I do like having the big covers, I like the detail they have and most of the time, the covers are more innovative, like Rolling Stones "Some Girls" and Led Zepplin III. I also like having the albums in their original format, like the Misfits and MC5. Others , like Townshend's "Empty Glass", I can't find on CD. Used vinyl is cheaper, and I also find new vinyl to be cheaper, too. I bought Misfits "collection II" for 13 dollars on vinyl as opposed to 20 on CD.

Plus, it's just damn addicting. I've gons so far as to order some online. I got Alkaline Trio's Hell Yes 7" today, and will be receving Green Day "Warning" LP soon.

scotty
02-20-2005, 07:09 AM
The reasons I like vinyl are:

(a) Sentimental - I grew up with it. Vinyl was the only way to get music when I was a kiddie, apart from crappy cassetes.

(b) The covers - You can really see the artwork on a twelve inch. I can't imagine how much of the detail of the cover of Santana's self-titled album you would lose when transferred from the big records to the tiny CD covers

(c) Intimacy - The whole process of playing a record makes me feel closer to the music. From taking it out of the cover, holding it in two hands, putting it on the turntable and placing the needle in the groove, for me, allows a closeness you don't get with CD's.

(d) Sound - I love the pops and crackles of vinyl, and I love the warmth of the sound. CD's are too clinical and perfect. Rock isn't perfect - its raw and emotive.

CD's have their uses, though:

(a) Portability - car, home, walking, etc.

(b) Practicality - you can stick your disc into a player and listen to a certain song without all that messy fiddling about with the needle of a record player.

FunkyHiFi
02-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Those car turn table systems never really took off did they

They tried anyway (http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=2495&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2311) :)

synch
02-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Hahaha, I never knew that!

A 45 eh? That's like having a floppy disk based mp3 player :(

Spanishbomb808
02-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Personally, I would've loved to have "Sandinista!" on vinyl :)

GreenFairy
02-20-2005, 03:18 PM
The question is: WHY?

I don't know. Maybe 'cause is cool...I don't know.
I've always bought vinyl since I was very young, maybe 'cause my brother collect them and I've followed his example :)
I love the smell of vinyl shop...I love the sound when the needle touch the vinyl...

GreenFairy
02-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Personally, I would've loved to have "Sandinista!" on vinyl :)
I have it :D

DroppinScience
02-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I guess I can understand where you guys are coming from.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna attempt to be super hip and go find The Who on vinyl. ;)

GreenFairy
02-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Do you want to compete? I have all Pink Floyd vinyl... :D

DroppinScience
02-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Do you want to compete? I have all Pink Floyd vinyl... :D

Well, if I hijack all my Dad's vinyl, I'm pretty sure I'd have all you suckahs beat. :cool:

A. Remin' D.
02-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Ironically, I saw part of that flick today. I got bored, but I watched it and the background music rules. Have you heard the "Axel F" remix of "Ch-check it Out"? Neat stuff (y)

I can't get bored with that movie, or the second one, but the third one sucks, funny since it was the only one made after '89. I haven't heard that remix though, sounds cool. I also have the rare "The Shootout" theme from Beverly Hills Cop, it's on the b side of the "Axel F" 45, I have the picture sleeve, and I also have the 33 RPM full soundtrack.

Oh, and your avatar rocks.

Thanks, I just made it last night, you gotta love Yauch unexpectedly being pied in the face.

CrankItUp!
02-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Its cooler to get an actual album autographed by a band than a cd and also they practically give them away at thrift stores ! So go digging and good luck ! :)

Documad
02-20-2005, 08:20 PM
John Lennon had a turntable in his car circa '66-67.

Needles now cost a fortune and that sucks.

My niece collects vinyl and now you have me suspecting that she's emo. I was just happy that she likes some of the same stuff I do.

I agree with Freedom Toast. What I have missed since I started purchasing new music on CDs is that I had to half concentrate and was forced to hear more of what the artist intended. I love my ipod and being able to make playlists, etc. That's great for me because I love pop singles. But I also love albums that are complete, moody, and don't just put potential singles as tracks 1-4 and then filler--something that makes me really mad today. When I only listened to vinyl, yes I had singles and I could also play just one song on an album and get up and down all the time, but mostly I listened to complete albums, or at least complete sides. Since I finally set up my stereo properly a couple of months ago, I have really noticed that I'm doing that again--listening to whole albums, and when it's a really good album that sets a mood, it's very rewarding.

It makes me think that if I had discovered London Calling, Imperial Bedroom, or anything by Roxy Music, for the first time on CD, I bet I would never have listened to them all the way through and to this day I probably wouldn't know some of my favorite songs.

Spanishbomb808
02-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I haven't heard that remix though, sounds cool.

It's a pretty good tune; do yourself a favour and hit the remix forum. Those chaps make good stuff, or provide you with links to said stuff ;)

I swear it should work http://al-b3.com/images/home/download/Ch-Check_Out_Axel_F.mp3

Hector_Sancho
02-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Enjoy. (http://www.al-b3.com/images/home/do..._Out_Axel_F.mp3) It's a pretty good tune; do yourself a favour and hit the remix forum. Those chaps make good stuff, or provide you with links to said stuff ;)
The link doesn't work. I get 404'd when I click it!

A. Remin' D.
02-20-2005, 11:10 PM
It's a pretty good tune; do yourself a favour and hit the remix forum. Those chaps make good stuff, or provide you with links to said stuff ;)

I swear it should work http://al-b3.com/images/home/download/Ch-Check_Out_Axel_F.mp3

Thanks, its freakin awesome, goes along pretty good, all the mixes I've tried to do never really flow together. I go to the remix forum sometimes, I didnt ever see this one on there though.

Matt
02-21-2005, 04:47 AM
Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna attempt to be super hip and go find The Who on vinyl. ;)

Good luck, I could only find Face Dances :p

scotty
02-21-2005, 05:14 AM
Portability and vinyl is no problem for me. I have the battery powered Columbia GP-3 turntable. It plays in any postion...even upside down. It has a handle so you can play your shit while you walk down the street. The GP3 even has wall mounts. Mine is mounted on the wall in my computer room....I use it everyday.

Thats sweet as. I'm imagining you strutting down the pavement to 'Lowrider' by War.

King of Rock II
07-15-2005, 02:57 AM
so basically what y'all are saying is that

THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASONS TO BUY VINYL NOWADAYS IF YOU'RE NOT A DJ

steve-onpoint
07-15-2005, 04:44 AM
i'm blown away by how nicely these cd turntables work today. i mean, it's some serious stuff. and i have a pretty extensive and eclectic record collection.

so this is how i scale it: some records contain forgotten wisdom. this is the kind of stuff that you probably won't find as mp3's simply because we don't even know to look for it in the first place. it's all about the hunt for new sounds. trying new (albeit old) shit out. and that's why i won't let the tech 12 die.

b-grrrlie
07-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Wow! I've missed this the first time around! Thanks KoR for digging this up.

I still buy vinyl, I've been doing it for over 30 years so I guess it's a bit of a habbit. I still roam around second hand stores, looking for gems and they are usually cheaper. A couple of times I've found signed records (Kate Bush On Stage, to Alex tho', Blondie's Parallel Lines). I even buy new records on vinyl (when available), but usually only by those artists I really really like, because new vinyl here has gotten quite expensive. I've ordered the Foo Fighters to "my" shop (I was a bit surprised they didn't have it already) and yesterday I got a bunch of vinyl that I'd ordered through eBay. There's a couple of artists that I buy all the formats (Beasties and BRMC), I am a collector after all. I do have to confess I don't listen to vinyl as much as I used to, but I switch all the time if I'm listening to music on cd, vinyl, radio or computer.

I like the artwork as it's bigger and it's easier to read the lyrics. Sometimes I feel like I need a magnifying glass to read lyrics on a cd-cover. Also sometimes they make the covers really special (for example Alice Cooper's Schools Out and Billion Dollar Babies, Small Faces Odgen's Nut -package, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's Plastic Fangs), vinyl in different colours AND the small messages between the end of the groove and the label.

Mcmac
07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
its better because it has more value...not money wise, but u cant go and download and album and put it on vinyl like u can with cds...so i do not by cd's anymore...just download

Qdrop
07-15-2005, 09:23 AM
obviously for me...it's because i DJ, and am into turntablism....
so vinyl is obviously a necessity...

but i'm no vinyl purist or anything....

i do LOVE the sound of old vinyl........

wavin_goodbye
07-15-2005, 09:32 AM
a few reasons for me ...

1. active listening... you physically do more.. which makes you more involved (i find)
2. cost effective.. sometimes.. i buy a lot of old stuff... and used vinyl is up to 5 times cheaper

Djave_mc87
07-15-2005, 09:54 AM
undefined Well for me finding vinyl records is very rare and hard to find now these days, certainly in Belgium ! Some albums that they use to have on vinyl are not even made on CD's, I founded a store in Brussels that has allot of old vinyl's like Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Epmd, The sugar hill gang stuff like that they are all kept in mint condition and have never been used... The reason why i like buying vinyl it's because there are albums that you can't find on CD's and also for scratching, I'm only 17 years old and i already have a massive collection of records that i have bougth, since finding old records is hard i go sometimes to second hand record shops and there they had some cool stuff Madonna, Marvin Gaye, Aerosmith, Barry White, Tavares, Michael Jackson, that was really cool and there pretty cheap to like you could have a record for 4 € :) ...

milky cereal
07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Most of the music I buy nowadays is older so the vinyl is just a better way of purchasing a Stevie Wonder or Sly album.
I also got bored with CD's since again I dont buy many from todays current crop of artists. It's nostalgic but also brings a newness to making music fun again. I just don't get amped for new records like I used to.

Savage Jimmy
07-15-2005, 09:20 PM
i mostly buy cd's cuz i'm a lazy fuck. if i buy Vynl its mostly 7"s.

since i'm only a teenager and i dont have a job, i mostly buy cd's and thats it. me getting a record player started when i had my mom buy me Blink-182's "THEY CAME TO CONQUER URANUS" 7" at a store for me. its fuckin rare as hell and i wanted it. lol then probably about a month or so later i'm at my grandparents for a cook out and my friends and i are in the basement listenin to some really old vynl, and we found 2 copies of the same thing so we put them both on. it was kinda funny listenin to it like that. and all of a sudden it hits me. wait i can take one of these home. so i did. now i have a good collection of 7"'s. THe Bad Brains debut, Coral Fang by the Distillers, THe new america by Bad Religion, and Fuck World Trade by Leftover Crack on vynl. i do plan on buying more but to me cd's easier to listen to and u can bring it places. and i always listen to the whole cd first time i buy it

Documad
07-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Since this thread was started, I've been listening to more vinyl than ever. I'm STILL moving my old stuff out of my mom's house and I can't believe how much cool stuff I bought years ago. I also have a lot of crap. I can't believe that I bought a Sade album--but in my defense it looks like I never played it.

My favorite thing is that I am more likely to listen to the whole album of one artist instead of skipping around from track to track.

Sandinista!
07-16-2005, 01:20 AM
If anyone gives a damn, I've got two old slabs of vinyl labeled:

"Overview of Space Exploration Part 1/ Sumario de la exploración espacial 1ra. Parte," which is a 10 in. 33 1/3 rpm.

"Overview of Space Exploration Part 2/ Sumario de la exploración espacial 2nda. Parte," which is a 12 in. 33 1/3 rpm.

These are both "A community educational resources production- Department of Education, San Diego, County."

I've yet to play them, given that my record player is stashed under my iguana's cage. But still, I reckon you could do some mad mixing with the bland and billiungual outer space stuff that's in there. I reckon these are from the 60s/70s; I got them from my art teacher, and it seems they've been stashed away for a while.

Any DJ volk interested? Or something? I dunno, I just wanted to increase my post count, I guess. Meh, late-nite incoherence...

Documad
07-16-2005, 01:29 AM
I'm not a DJ but I'm interested. :p

At the used places, I'm always looking at the strange stuff. I buy offbeat things that amuse me but mostly I like to look at the strange array of things that were released.

Ferdinand_2
07-16-2005, 01:42 AM
The Best vynil are the new edition Vynil likes those what got 180 grams.(y)

thegoodmrbrodie!
07-16-2005, 03:09 AM
it feels nicer.
it looks nicer.
it's more romantic.

i always equate it with buying an old beetle instead of a new beetle. y'know the car. for me anyway.

DroppinScience
07-16-2005, 02:07 PM
If anyone gives a damn, I've got two old slabs of vinyl labeled:

"Overview of Space Exploration Part 1/ Sumario de la exploración espacial 1ra. Parte," which is a 10 in. 33 1/3 rpm.

"Overview of Space Exploration Part 2/ Sumario de la exploración espacial 2nda. Parte," which is a 12 in. 33 1/3 rpm.

These are both "A community educational resources production- Department of Education, San Diego, County."

I've yet to play them, given that my record player is stashed under my iguana's cage. But still, I reckon you could do some mad mixing with the bland and billiungual outer space stuff that's in there. I reckon these are from the 60s/70s; I got them from my art teacher, and it seems they've been stashed away for a while.

Any DJ volk interested? Or something? I dunno, I just wanted to increase my post count, I guess. Meh, late-nite incoherence...

Those are most likely from the late '70s at the earliest, as the Department of Education was implemented under the Carter administration. Yeah, I'm a history nerd. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, your vinyl discovery DOES make me want to find some bland instructional/educational vinyl from days yonder and mix it with some fressssshhhh beats. :D

If only I had the skills to be a DJ. :(

DroppinScience
07-16-2005, 02:08 PM
i'd luv to see records back in the regular store (outside dj specialty shopz)

:D

I do see some vinyl at the big chain stores like HMV and the like. Though it's only a very small section, but it's very common to see stuff like The White Stripes sold in the vinyl format.

Sandinista!
07-16-2005, 05:18 PM
For your pleasure, I took the liberty of scanning the aformentioned records and stashing the images in a convinient zip file (about 731 kb).

Its worth noting that the Spanish side of the 12'' record has been scratched (and not in a hipitty-hop way, either :( )

Well, enjoy looking at these. I'm sure some

Los Records de Acetato (members.aol.com/aka80sboy/tree/spacevinyl.zip)

Edit: I was waving my hands over the scanner while it zapped the 10'' records, so that explains the trippy background and the slight break on the 10esp.jpeg file :p

Ferdinand_2
07-17-2005, 11:39 AM
The Best vynil are the new edition Vynil likes those what got 180 grams.(y)
380 Grams

Cristin
07-17-2005, 01:42 PM
turn tables..

dublirie04
07-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Yo Science, to me vinyl is crucial. I think it represents where music comes from and how people were so scientifically inovative to have come up with pressing sound into that form. Now as a dj, I cannot stand witnessing someone "spinning" cd's. anyone can do that and the origional artform was vinyl and the fact that it took talent to know where the tracks were and how to blend em together. I will forever only spin vinyl. I have a cd collection and download music but for my style of dj=ing, vinyl is an important aspect that should be kept alive.

I like to sound of the needle on the record too.