PDA

View Full Version : WHICH REVIVAL ROCK BAND IS GAYEST

hellojello
02-25-2005, 08:41 AM
JET or
THE WHITE STRIPES
i have to go with the white stripes cuz i think jet are aussie. but if they weren't i'd hate them both equally.

mickill
02-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Um, The White Stripes aren't gay. I think it's become a bit too fashionable to bash them, and without any real good reason. I've always enjoyed their music.

Jet, on the other hand, are pretty much as gay as they come.

Parkey
02-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Jet make me want to still pins in my ears.

Tzar
02-25-2005, 09:46 AM
i hate white stripes because i don't listen to their music.

i hate the fact it's just two of them. but yet.. their most popular song has one of the most unmistakable basslines on earth and yet........ no bassist.

fucking get a bassists and stop thinking you two are so good by yourself.

yeahwho
02-25-2005, 09:56 AM
The White Stripes don't try very hard, they record an album in under 3 weeks plus they use old 2nd hand equipment. They could eat Jet's lunch in a nano second.

Jet try real hard, use every studio technology available, pose like abercrombie and fitch bitches and yet they cannot get Eric Clapton to come to their shows. Are You Gonna Be My Girl? No.

Futterman's
02-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Definitinely,Jet.

hellojello
02-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Um, The White Stripes aren't gay. I think it's become a bit too fashionable to bash them, and without any real good reason. I've always enjoyed their music.

look just so u know i've always thought the white stripes were gay..and my thoughts on this were validated when i saw them live back in 2003 (at a festival i def. did NOT go just to see them)..im not just jumping on they lets bash the whitestripes bandwagon. i knew they were lame from the beginning.

cosmo105
02-25-2005, 10:35 AM

he's right, you know. i dig a few White Stripes tunes, but i'm not that big a fan. but i respect them. Jet, however...well, let's just say they wear women's jeans.

Calimero jr.
02-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I find Jet to be quite gay....I way prefer White Stripes

ASsman
02-25-2005, 10:43 AM
White Stripes make you their bitches.

Jet = Recycled Rock , hardly "reviving" anything

hellojello
02-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Im so not ripping on you hellojello...but it always cracks me up when someone says something has been "overdone" and like 67 people always chime in like "I totally did it before it was cool yo!!! :mad:"

Ive done it before myself. I laugh at myself...a lot.
LOL i know i think that too i was being facetious I guess sarcasm doesn't come across that well in plain text

hellojello
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
i think i need to clarify something here. I DON"T LIKE JET I THINK THEY"RE MUSIC SUCKS AND THEY'RE TALENTLESS. Their songs annoy the hell out of me. But then so do the songs of The White Stripes, they're just as bad if not more unoriginal.

FunkyHiFi
02-25-2005, 01:26 PM
The White Stripes don't try very hard, they record an album in under 3 weeks plus they use old 2nd hand equipment.

For people with ACTUAL TALENT this can be done. Becuase no amount of studio trickery or slick marketing schemes (TRL, Pepsi commercials, clothing line, etc) can cause a talentless person to make truly good music that is still enjoyable years later, in other words that "stand the test of time" thing......well, at least to people who truly care about music and not an image. Unfortunately when the media hears about a band that actually knows what they are doing, they end up blabbering about it so much even their fans can get tired of hearing about them (but not tired of listening to them).

BTW: Jack White of the Stripes was the producer of Loretta Lynn's Grammy winning Van Lear Rose (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=6717482&cart=232261162), an album filled with REAL country music, not that processed twangy pop crap that's everywhere nowadays. Thank God the Grammy people recognized this album's quality content with their country album of the year award and didn't give it to one of the many country posers out there. Anyway, while I don't listen to the Stripes' music the fact that Jack W. can produce in a whole other musical category shows that he knows his shit, whether you like his music or not.

ProfJIM
02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
i think i need to clarify something here. I DON"T LIKE JET I THINK THEY"RE MUSIC SUCKS AND THEY'RE TALENTLESS. Their songs annoy the hell out of me. But then so do the songs of The White Stripes, they're just as bad if not more unoriginal.

Did you just say The White Stripes are more unorginal then JET!?

FUCKING JET?

you're a god damn moron.

beastiegirl18
02-25-2005, 01:40 PM
White Stripes make you their bitches.

Jet = Recycled Rock , hardly "reviving" anything

Hehe is true

DroppinScience
02-25-2005, 01:46 PM
How dare you even place White Stripes in the same breath as Jet.

You must be tone deaf. :mad: (n)

hellojello
02-25-2005, 01:48 PM
How dare you even place White Stripes in the same breath as Jet.

You must be tone deaf. :mad: (n)
no i'm just immunised against indy music
and tfft

yeahwho
02-25-2005, 01:51 PM
For people with ACTUAL TALENT this can be done. Becuase no amount of studio trickery or slick marketing schemes (TRL, Pepsi commercials, clothing line, etc) can cause a talentless person to make truly good music that is still enjoyable years later, in other words that "stand the test of time" thing......well, at least to people who truly care about music and not an image. Unfortunately when the media hears about a band that actually knows what they are doing, they end up blabbering about it so much even their fans can get tired of hearing about them (but not tired of listening to them).

BTW: Jack White of the Stripes was the producer of Loretta Lynn's Grammy winning Van Lear Rose (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=6717482&cart=232261162), an album filled with REAL country music, not that processed twangy pop crap that's everywhere nowadays. Thank God the Grammy people recognized this album's quality content with their country album of the year award and didn't give it to one of the many country posers out there. Anyway, while I don't listen to the Stripes' music the fact that Jack W. can produce in a whole other musical category shows that he knows his shit, whether you like his music or not.

Agree w/ you 100%, Jack White is brilliant compared to the whole lot of the current crop of guitarist's and musicians out there. I'm not sure why I voted in this poll....he is not gay.

Matt
02-25-2005, 04:17 PM
VELVET REVOLVER SHOULD BE ON THIS LIST, AS SHOULD THE DARKNESS

and I like the White Stripes, but that could be just the Detroit in me. And Jet are total whores.

Rosie Cotton
02-25-2005, 05:12 PM
I don't really like the White Stripes, but they do have a few good songs. Jet suck donkey balls. I'm not an AC/DC fan, but I'd rather hear "You Shook Me" than "Cold Hard Bitch".

A. Remin' D.
02-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Jet, I don't know, they just suck.

mickill
02-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, it's a close race.

DroppinScience
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Well, it's a close race.

Yup, close race for "Stupidest Music Poll of All-Time"

tdot04
02-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Though I was kinda amused by the nonchalance of the 3rd poll option. Just kinda. :o

jjjjjj
02-25-2005, 07:06 PM
jet.

hellojello
02-25-2005, 07:07 PM
damn i was really trying to make a serious point here too.

hellojello
02-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Did you just say The White Stripes are more unorginal then JET!?

FUCKING JET?

you're a god damn moron.
touche

DroppinScience
02-25-2005, 07:28 PM
damn i was really trying to make a serious point here too.

And what is it?

Kaney
02-25-2005, 07:37 PM
I don't like jet or the white stripes
- but that is just my personal oppinion, - but if i were to decide, i'd have to say the white stripes are definately the more insulting excuse for a band... My observations have led me to conclude their ''music'' is appauling and their attitude pretentious, i can't respect them as musicians or as people.
Good on them for getting as far as they have, but i'd suggest thats due to a more foolish and mindless market than good/quality music.

The same kind of minlessness portreyed by people in this thread beating on other people for stating their oppinions- thats all this is about- if you don't like it no one gives a fuck- its your right to have your oppinion and to voice it- but keep it to the thread topic, not your personal oppinion of people in the thread.

DroppinScience
02-25-2005, 08:01 PM
I don't like jet or the white stripes
- but that is just my personal oppinion, - but if i were to decide, i'd have to say the white stripes are definately the more insulting excuse for a band... My observations have led me to conclude their ''music'' is appauling and their attitude pretentious, i can't respect them as musicians or as people.
Good on them for getting as far as they have, but i'd suggest thats due to a more foolish and mindless market than good/quality music.

The same kind of minlessness portreyed by people in this thread beating on other people for stating their oppinions- thats all this is about- if you don't like it no one gives a fuck- its your right to have your oppinion and to voice it- but keep it to the thread topic, not your personal oppinion of people in the thread.

Dude, this thread is:

Jet vs. White Stripes

Only an Ashlee Simpson-loving fool could possibly enjoy Jet more than White Stripes.

The White Stripes = talent and awesomeness

Jet = Rip-off of AC/DC, Iggy Pop, The Strokes, etc.

Yes, White Stripes certainly owe a great deal to a 60s garage past. But to me, they are updating and bringing in something new to the table while namechecking their heroes.

Jet couldn't even sneeze out a good song.

Spanishbomb808
02-25-2005, 10:39 PM
These frivolous, insulting mud hawker "bands" should be taken out via firing squad, if not for their audio garbage, than for defecating over perfectly good ideas that have already been done.

likeOMG!
02-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Jet sucks

Documad
02-25-2005, 11:16 PM
For the record: I have disliked the White Stripes ever since I first heard them. Partly because of all the hype and partly because I can't understand why anyone likes them. It completely escapes me.

I only know Jet's first single, which was catchy and highly irritating.

I hate when people use "gay" to mean bad, but if you mean "gay" to mean gay, I'm going with Jet because like Cosmo says, they do appear to wear women's jeans.

And aren't Jet from Scotland? Or am I just thinking that because they resemble the Bay City Rollers? :confused:

HellofaSandwich
02-26-2005, 05:12 AM
The Jet dudes are Australian.

And since evidence indicates that they fuck each other, they get my vote.

checkyourprez
02-26-2005, 06:11 AM
tahts kinda overwhellming, this thread should get killed

Rancid_Beasties
02-26-2005, 07:34 AM
look just so u know i've always thought the white stripes were gay..and my thoughts on this were validated when i saw them live back in 2003 (at a festival i def. did NOT go just to see them)..im not just jumping on they lets bash the whitestripes bandwagon. i knew they were lame from the beginning.
Livid '03 ;)

BTW Jet eats dick vs white stripes fucken rock!!!!

Random info: the guys in Jet went to the school my mum used to teach at in Dandenong (or maybe it was frankston, i've forgotten which suburb), VIC, Australia. Not scotland :p

Leonie
02-26-2005, 09:54 AM
I kinda like them.. but not so much I'll buy their cds..
well I only like one song of jet an I like a few more songs of tws.. but you gotta like seven nation army

ASsman
02-26-2005, 10:13 AM
These frivolous, insulting mud hawker "bands" should be taken out via firing squad, if not for their audio garbage, than for defecating over perfectly good ideas that have already been done.
You cannot hold an opinion on "New" bands, unless it is "they suck". Don't even try to explain why, because you cannot.

SpanishFallacy.

And the only reason you would listen to Jet, wait you wouldn't, you could just pop in the ORIGINAL albums.

intergalactic
02-27-2005, 08:37 AM
I didnt like the White Stripes very much at all, although a couple of songs i liked. Didnt get the hype at all. But i saw them live a couple of nights ago on TV when i was just flicking through and i sortof watched it for two mins. Then i flicked over and instantly went back and watched the whole show. Have to say it was pretty damn amazing. Maybe one of the best live sets ive seen. My respect went through the roof. Its just one dude on a guitar and his ugly sista' on drums getting a whole stadium totaly pysched out. Thats awesome

JET can kiss the fattest part of my mainly muscular ass

SobaViolence
02-27-2005, 05:06 PM
it's weird that the white stripes, while being somewhat original, they just reprocess their one great album, de stilj...

copying yourself over and over isn't a lack of originality, is it? or is that better than copying someone else?

Documad
02-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Okay, I learned something from you people. Jet are Australian.

They still remind me of the Bay City Rollers. :D

scotty
03-01-2005, 06:29 AM
I voted for Jet because they are whores. The White Stripes are just shit.

Freebasser
03-01-2005, 07:41 AM
i hate white stripes because i don't listen to their music.

i hate the fact it's just two of them. but yet.. their most popular song has one of the most unmistakable basslines on earth and yet........ no bassist.

fucking get a bassists and stop thinking you two are so good by yourself.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Jack actually said that they didn't need a bass player, because they were already the complete article. What a pity that it's a bassline that powers Seven Nation Army :rolleyes:

They should just fuck off.

And I don't care if 99% of you guys think Jet are unoriginal "fags" with no talent, I like them. I like them a lot.

You people who say that they are limp-wristed obviously have such a way with words. I don't know if they're gay, but why should that matter? I never even thought about it.

"LOL THEY ARE ALL GAY, THEREFORE THE MUSIC IS SHIT" Yeah, I'm sure there's an equation for homosexuality and rock music somewhere, I just missed it. Go read a thesaurus, and come back when you can articulate your thoughts.

hellojello
03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
I voted for Jet because they are whores. The White Stripes are just shit.

Jack actually said that they didn't need a bass player, because they were already the complete article. What a pity that it's a bassline that powers Seven Nation Army

And I don't care if 99% of you guys think Jet are unoriginal "fags" with no talent, I like them. I like them a lot.

You people who say that they are limp-wristed obviously have such a way with words. I don't know if they're gay, but why should that matter? I never even thought about it.

"LOL THEY ARE ALL GAY, THEREFORE THE MUSIC IS SHIT" Yeah, I'm sure there's an equation for homosexuality and rock music somewhere, I just missed it. Go read a thesaurus, and come back when you can articulate your thoughts.

OK U 2 ARE LIKE MY 2 FAVOURITE PPLZ ON THE BOARD RIGHT NOW!!! FINALLY SOME SUPPORT...

NB. Freebasser- the word gay seems to have lost its original meaning when i say gay i don't mean gay-homosexual i mean gay-lame.

hellojello
03-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Only an Ashlee Simpson-loving fool could possibly enjoy Jet more than White Stripes.
sorry there's absoloutly no correlation between ashley simpon and Jet.
Kaney made a valid argument, u just made sweet f.a as per usual.
U do realise u just said scotty, and freebasser love ashless simpson don't u?

afronaut
03-02-2005, 11:12 AM

Jack actually said that they didn't need a bass player, because they were already the complete article. What a pity that it's a bassline that powers Seven Nation Army :rolleyes:

Jet are pathetic. The White Stripes, with just two members, and no bass player, can pump out the pure rock fury twenty times more authentic, rocking, and furious than Jet can with the four or five members they have in their sorry, pathetic, excuse for a rock and roll band. Simple raw riffs, kindergarten drum beats, and Jack's songwriting chops are all they have, and Jet can't even step up to the plate and give them a run for their money. What do Jet have? They don't have anything. Some record execs tell them to dial in Generic Hard Rock Riff #3, Generic "Rock n Roll" Vocal #5, and either the varied choice between an Iggy Pop circa "Lust for Life" or AC/DC Rhythm Section, record it on state of the art recording equipment, filter it through pro tools to make it sound all "vintage" and "rock and roll", and you have a Jet song. Nobody in that band can write a fucking song, they can't write a memorable melody.

Say what you want, the White Stripes weren't just some flash in the pan. Nobody's going to forget the White Stripes in a few years time as just a part of a short lived rock revival scene. Jack White can go and make authentic garage rock records with write quality, original songs, and then go and then produce one of Loretta Lynn's best albums and appear in one of her music videos wearing flannel. Flannel, man. Who's going to remember Jet in 5 years time? Why would anybody remember Jet? Is there anything at all memorable about that band? Their eulogy will read:

"A late entry in the Rock and Roll Revival scene, and shameless attempt to cash in, Jet ripped off, raped, and stole from classic rock music more shamelessly, extensively, and unimaginative than any other band in a scene thats known for shamelessly ripping off others music".

Audio puke like Jet make me actually respect bands such as the Strokes. Jesus christ, at least they wrote SONGS for fucks sake. At least underneath it all there were at least a couple memorable original melodies that didn't completely rip off another band. What the fuck is the melody to "are you gonna be my girl" or "cold hard bitch"? How many times have you heard those generic vocal lines in some half assed poorly written hard rock song? They can't even play their songs with any conviction or authentic energy.

Fucking hell, they have a song called "roll over DJ" slamming DJs for playing other peoples music. How hypocritical is that? They don't even play their own fucking music. A Jet "song" is just a bunch of generic rock and roll parts from other, better, songs pieced together like a puzzle. Yeah, real great songwriters. They're the Rock and Roll equivalent to Aaron Carter. And thats the most apt anology you could ever make for anything.

mickill
03-02-2005, 11:18 AM
I was just about to say that ^

Freebasser
03-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Did I say I thought they were original? No.

I said I don't care if other people think they're unoriginal.

OMG READ MY LIPS AND SHIT.

afronaut
03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Did I say I thought they were original? No.

I said I don't care if other people think they're unoriginal.

OMG READ MY LIPS AND SHIT.

How nicely articulated. ;)

Freebasser
03-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Haha :D

Touche.

mickill
03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
That's not how you spell "douche", Aidan.

Freebasser
03-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Touchebag hehe.

Meh, I couldn't be arsed to type out an e with an accent in Word then copy and paste it in.

Stupid non-french board.

p-branez
03-03-2005, 08:08 PM
the white stripes are actually really good.

jet is hella gay.

Rosie Cotton
03-04-2005, 12:42 AM
NB. Freebasser- the word gay seems to have lost its original meaning when i say gay i don't mean gay-homosexual i mean gay-lame.
Umm, the original meaning for the word gay is "merry, happy, frivolous" not "lame".

Aidan, I agree with everything you said. I couldn't have articulated my dislike of the White Stripes better. However when it comes down to it, I personally think "Seven Nation Army" is a better song than "Are You Gonna be my Girl".

Matt
03-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Umm, the original meaning for the word gay is "merry, happy, frivolous" not "lame".

Aidan, I agree with everything you said. I couldn't have articulated my dislike of the White Stripes better. However when it comes down to it, I personally think "Seven Nation Army" is a better song than "Are You Gonna be my Girl".

you like jet? I don't believe we can be friends anymore. :mad:

kidding, dummy! :P

Rosie Cotton
03-04-2005, 12:50 AM
you like jet? I don't believe we can be friends anymore. :mad:

kidding, dummy! :P
No! Just because I'm not a White Stripes fan doesn't mean I like Jet! :eek:

Matt
03-04-2005, 12:53 AM
No! Just because I'm not a White Stripes fan doesn't mean I like Jet! :eek:

:p alright, we're friends again. but you can't have my Capri Sun at lunch anymore.

ah well, I liked the essay Afronaut typed up. I agree with it wholehartedly (y)

cosmo105
03-04-2005, 01:01 AM
yeah, afronaut's right as usual.

AREN'T YOU, MY PRETTY LITTLE PWINCESS

Haydon_
03-04-2005, 01:10 AM
hey jet are australian, "they rip off of acdc" you fucking dickhead they are not a rip off of acdc, and they kick the shit through that american crap like hoobastank WTF those gay poofs should fuck off and masturbate each other...bloody poofs

DroppinScience
03-04-2005, 01:11 AM
ah well, I liked the essay Afronaut typed up. I agree with it wholehartedly (y)

Exactly! He sure put that White Stripes hating douche in his place. (y)

Matt
03-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Exactly! He sure put that White Stripes hating douche in his place. (y)

well, I wouldn't call Aidan a douche.

wait. yes, yes I would.

DroppinScience
03-04-2005, 01:15 AM
well, I wouldn't call Aidan a douche.

wait. yes, yes I would.

I was referring to the lamer who started this thread

cosmo105
03-04-2005, 01:16 AM
hey jet are australian, "they rip off of acdc" you fucking dickhead they are not a rip off of acdc, and they kick the shit through that american crap like hoobastank WTF those gay poofs should fuck off and masturbate each other...bloody poofs
no, both of them really suck. sucking has nothing to do with country of origin.

Matt
03-04-2005, 01:21 AM
I was referring to the lamer who started this thread

oh.

thanks for confusing me, douche. :p

hellojello
03-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Exactly! He sure put that White Stripes hating douche in her place. (y)
yea well maybe it did i couldn't be bothered reading that goddamn essay.
the point is there is not point. both bands are gay. one is gayer. in my opinion its the white stripes
end of story.

Leonie
03-04-2005, 12:34 PM
so it looks like i'm the only 'gay' here :rolleyes:

DroppinScience
03-04-2005, 01:51 PM
yea well maybe it did i couldn't be bothered reading that goddamn essay.
the point is there is not point. both bands are gay. one is gayer. in my opinion its the white stripes
end of story.

And why would The White Stripes be "gayer" than Jet? I've yet to hear any justification for why Jet's music would be more bearable than the Stripes. :rolleyes:

hellojello
03-04-2005, 10:48 PM
And why would The White Stripes be "gayer" than Jet? I've yet to hear any justification for why Jet's music would be more bearable than the Stripes. :rolleyes:
and i've yet to hear any justification as to why anymusic after 89 sucks as per spanishbomb but you're still all up on his dick.
get on mine
bitch

edit: if you've yet to 'hear' it maybe it's cuz ur listening to the words rather than reading them. IF you notice in the FIRST POST in this thread i said THE ONLY REASON JET ARE LESS GAY IS BECAUSE THEY"RE AUSSIE, if they weren't I"d hate both jet and the white stripes equally

afronaut
03-04-2005, 11:05 PM
and i've yet to hear any justification as to why anymusic after 89 sucks as per spanishbomb but you're still all up on his dick.
get on mine
btich

SHIT, YOU GOT SERVED BTICH.

hellojello
03-04-2005, 11:44 PM
i did?
served what

Knuckles
03-05-2005, 12:16 AM
get on mine
btich
It's posts like these that made me think you were a dude. :D

hellojello
03-05-2005, 12:33 AM
It's posts like these that made me think you were a dude. :D
oh well excussse me while i go get a facial and a manicure
and like have u seen this springs new fashion? I love the colours they're absoloutly adorable

Knuckles
03-05-2005, 12:34 AM
oh well excussse me while i go get a facial and a manicure
and like have u seen this springs new fashion? I love the colours they're absoloutly adorable
Haaaaa Haaaaa (y)

Documad
03-05-2005, 12:52 AM
WTF?????

For centuries, "gay" meant lighthearted and carefree, or possibly bright and showy. Then it came to mean homosexual (which bugged the shit out of my grandmother). Later still, it came to be used by kids to mean stupid or lame (which bugs the shit out of me).

get on mine
bitch

edit: if you've yet to 'hear' it maybe it's cuz ur listening to the words rather than reading them. IF you notice in the FIRST POST in this thread i said THE ONLY REASON JET ARE LESS GAY IS BECAUSE THEY"RE AUSSIE, if they weren't I"d hate both jet and the white stripes equally
These posts are both incomprehensible, yet others seem to understand them. :confused:

What bothered me about the White Stripes from the start was that their early PR was so calculated. I didn't give them a fair listen at first. Since then, Jack White did some stuff that made me suspect that he might have more depth. But I still haven't loved any of their music.

Knuckles
03-05-2005, 12:57 AM
What bothered me about the White Stripes from the start was that their early PR was so calculated. I didn't give them a fair listen at first. Since then, Jack White did some stuff that made me suspect that he might have more depth. But I still haven't loved any of their music.
The White Stripes first two albums are amazing. I would advise checking them out. I liked the last two ones quite a bit as well but the first two...

SOOOOOOO GOOD(y)

Documad
03-05-2005, 01:13 AM
The White Stripes first two albums are amazing. I would advise checking them out. I liked the last two ones quite a bit as well but the first two...

SOOOOOOO GOOD(y)
Yes, I have listened, but not in a while, and a few people I respect really like them. ERRRR.

I guess Haydon won't be explaining his post now. :p I'll just have to wonder.

hellojello
03-05-2005, 01:16 AM
WTF?????

For centuries, "gay" meant lighthearted and carefree, or possibly bright and showy. Then it came to mean homosexual (which bugged the shit out of my grandmother). Later still, it came to be used by kids to mean stupid or lame (which bugs the shit out of me).

These posts are both incomprehensible, yet others seem to understand them. :confused:

i think there's 2 things going on here documad : one is a GENERATION GAP ie in my life time no one ever used to word gay to mean 'lighthearted and carefree' as u put it unless they were being facetious and i'm sorry that us younger people bother you i hope i don't turn into one of those "the youth of today :rolleyes:" when i'm your age.

the other thing that's going on is you're taking this thread WAY 2 seriously.
i wrote it becasue i knew there's a lot of indy/emo dicks on here and they'd get all hissy about it. Esp. the american ones.
which they have
which means i won
yay me

Knuckles
03-05-2005, 01:21 AM
Don't be mean to Documad! :(

hellojello
03-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Don't be mean to Documad! :(
im not being mean :(
she asked a question i answered.

Documad
03-05-2005, 01:34 AM
i think there's 2 things going on here documad : one is a GENERATION GAP ie in my life time no one ever used to word gay to mean 'lighthearted and carefree as u put it' unless they were being facetious and i'm sorry that us younger people bother you i hope i don't turn into one of those "the youth of today :rolleyes:" when i'm your age.

i wrote it becasue i knew there's a lot of indy/emo dicks on here and they'd get all hissy about it. Esp. ther american ones.
which they have
which means i won
yay me
I don't think it's an age issue. I love the English language, and while I'm no expert and not really that anal about it, I thought is was bizarre that you thought the word's "original" meaning was actually it's most recent meaning. As old as I am, I have never used "gay" to mean lighthearted either (hence the reference to my dead grandmother--who also was upset that the word "queer" was "taken over by homosexuals").

What bothers me is the use of the word "gay" to mean stupid. I find it offensive and juvenile. But it's apparently become accepted slang (at least among kids--you could not use it where I work).

BTW -- I'm not taking this thread seriously at all, which is why I posted several times about the use of the word "gay."

Documad
03-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Don't be mean to Documad! :(Knuckles is "chivalrous" -- meaning "courteous and gallant, especially toward women." :)

plus I did call her incomprehensible, which wasn't very nice

hellojello
03-05-2005, 01:38 AM
I don't think it's an age issue. I love the English language, and while I'm no expert and not really that anal about it, I thought is was bizarre that you thought the word's "original" meaning was actually it's most recent meaning. As old as I am, I have never used "gay" to mean lighthearted either (hence the reference to my dead grandmother--who also was upset that the word "queer" was "taken over by homosexuals").

What bothers me is the use of the word "gay" to mean stupid. I find it offensive and juvenile. But it's apparently become accepted slang (at least among kids--you could not use it where I work).

BTW -- I'm not taking this thread seriously at all, which is why I posted several times about the use of the word "gay."
ok then

DroppinScience
03-05-2005, 05:23 AM
i wrote it becasue i knew there's a lot of indy/emo dicks on here and they'd get all hissy about it. Esp. the american ones.
which they have
which means i won
yay me

No, you lose by the sheer fact that you haven't discovered how to capitalize the word "I" and you use "2" instead of "too." :rolleyes:

hellojello
03-05-2005, 07:34 AM
No, you lose by the sheer fact that you haven't discovered how to capitalize the word "I" and you use "2" instead of "too." :rolleyes:
actually in the context i just wrote 2 it should have been to not too.
get it right y dont u :rolleyes:

Kid Presentable
03-05-2005, 07:55 AM
The biggest problem with Jet being Australian is that a lot of Aussies can't smell past the bullshit.No matter what is fed to the public here, it has 90% of the vote if its Australian. Call it acting locally, I call it narrow mindedness.

The biggest supporters of jet are Australian, because Jet are 'our' band.
C'mon, how many people would dig shit like Grinspoon if they weren't Australian? I know we have to support our local acts, but that doesn't mean we can't have higher expectations of what they offer us. An artist like John Butler shows you only need to rely on talent, not marketing and promotion.

I fucking loathe Jet and everything they have done to Australian music. They make us look like a bunch of scenester wankers with nothing better to do than suck our own cocks and half write other people's music.

The White Stripes on the other hand made the second-best ever cover of 'Joelene'(the first being the now deceased New Zealand eccentric Darcy Clay, who's single 'Jesus I was evil' has been poorly rehashed by Aussie Beastie biters Butterfingers and has 90% of the vote),and they are good. And seeing as I don't know anybody anywhere, I can't be accused of being fashionable in either instance.

Bluuurrggghhh........ :)

hellojello
03-05-2005, 08:04 AM
The biggest problem with Jet being Australian is that a lot of Aussies can't smell past the bullshit.No matter what is fed to the public here, it has 90% of the vote if its Australian. Call it acting locally, I call it narrow mindedness.

The biggest supporters of jet are Australian, because Jet are 'our' band.
C'mon, how many people would dig shit like Grinspoon if they weren't Australian? I know we have to support our local acts, but that doesn't mean we can't have higher expectations of what they offer us. An artist like John Butler shows you only need to rely on talent, not marketing and promotion.

I fucking loathe Jet and everything they have done to Australian music. They make us look like a bunch of scenester wankers with nothing better to do than suck our own cocks and half write other people's music.

The White Stripes on the other hand made the second-best ever cover of 'Joelene'(the first being the now deceased New Zealand eccentric Darcy Clay, who's single 'Jesus I was evil' has been poorly rehashed by Aussie Beastie biters Butterfingers and has 90% of the vote),and they are good. And seeing as I don't know anybody anywhere, I can't be accused of being fashionable in either instance.

Bluuurrggghhh........ :)
i can't believe u just typed out all that
i wonder what it says

so which is gayest jet or the white stripes?

Kid Presentable
03-05-2005, 08:05 AM
i can't believe u just typed out all that
i wonder what it says

so which is gayest jet or the white stripes?

Jet suck, you like em right?

hellojello
03-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Jet suck, you like em right?
no
i think they're gay
just that the white stripes are gayer maybe even gayest

edit: you didn't even read the thread did you otherwise u never would have asked such a stupid question

Kid Presentable
03-05-2005, 08:09 AM
No I can't read organnnnnnjjuuuppmmmmoooonnnkkkeeeyyyyyy.

hellojello
03-05-2005, 08:14 AM
wikid my first thread ever to make 4 pages.
Thanks for doing the honours kid_p

Kid Presentable
03-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks for doing the honours kid_p

Never get tired of hearing that...

hellojello
03-05-2005, 08:27 AM
this thread should be a sticky :eek:

Freebasser
03-10-2005, 01:40 AM

The White Stripes on the other hand made the second-best ever cover of 'Joelene'

Welcome to hypocrite island. Population - you.

DroppinScience
03-10-2005, 01:50 AM
actually in the context i just wrote 2 it should have been to not too.
get it right y dont u :rolleyes:

Nope. In proper English, it would've read: "You guys are taking this WAY too seriously." "To" would not have worked.

And I REALLY can't take anyone seriously who writes "u" and "y." Would it kill ya to actually spell out some words? :eek:

Freebasser
03-10-2005, 01:54 AM
LOL

Kid Presentable
03-10-2005, 03:21 AM
Welcome to hypocrite island. Population - you.

Difference between doing a cover and stealing an idea=Huge

Freebasser
03-10-2005, 09:42 AM
No, it's honestly exactly the same.

Really.

Kid Presentable
03-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Really.

Naturally, the White Stripes actually called 'joelene' something like 'Are you gonna be my girl?' and passed it off as their own.

Clown...

afronaut
03-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Really.
um. no. thats what a cover is. its paying your respects and honoring a song you like, and hopefully making it your own in the process.

Jet, on the other hand, try to pass off others peoples music as their own original songs. huge, huge difference.

hellojello
03-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Nope. In proper English, it would've read: "You guys are taking this WAY too seriously." "To" would not have worked.

And I REALLY can't take anyone seriously who writes "u" and "y." Would it kill ya to actually spell out some words? :eek:
ya? :eek: (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ya) Y do U say that?

btw u r taking this WAY TO (def. [to] the extent or degree of) seriously
check it yourself (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=to)

hellojello
03-11-2005, 05:30 PM
evidence the white stripes are gay (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:pSrHwz0-4VYJ:andrejkoymasky.com/lou/sym/sym04.html+the+white+stripes+gay&hl=en)

evidence the white stripes are unoriginal (http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0315/doon.php) What's red, white, and sued all over? It's the White Stripes! Hot off the new-release bonanza of Elephant, Jack and Meg have been busted for lifting most of the lyrics and the title from White Blood Cells' "The Union Forever" from the movie Citizen Kane.

DroppinScience
03-11-2005, 05:46 PM
*groan* :rolleyes:

No, it's this (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=too) way.

U R 2 st00pid 2 no the diffurencez.

hellojello
03-11-2005, 05:51 PM

And I REALLY can't take anyone seriously who writes "u" and "y." Would it kill ya to actually spell out some words?

*groan*

ya? Y do U say that?

btw u r taking this WAY TO (def. [to] the extent or degree of) seriously
check it yourself

i beg your pardon i didn't realise i was in the english grammer forum for some reason I thought this was to do with other music

DroppinScience
03-11-2005, 05:57 PM
i beg your pardon i didn't realise i was in the english grammer forum for some reason I thought this was to do with other music

If you want to discuss music, I hardly think the simple demand of being legible isn't too taxing on those poor little typing fingers of yours. :eek:

You can do two things at once, right?

hellojello
03-11-2005, 05:58 PM
If you want to discuss music, I hardly think the simple demand of being legible isn't too taxing on those poor little typing fingers of yours. :eek:

You can do two things at once, right?
evidently i'm havin tha same difficulties as YA

ToucanSpam
03-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I like them both a little bit, but I am not gay.

hellojello
03-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I like them both a little bit, but I am not gay.
are you SURE?

DroppinScience
03-11-2005, 06:01 PM
evidently i'm havin tha same difficulties as YA

Colloquialisms or slang is okay.

"2", "U", "R", "Y", etc. are the bane of existence.

ToucanSpam
03-11-2005, 06:02 PM
are you SURE?

Yes. Wait..........................................Yeah , I'm pretty sure of it.

hellojello
03-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Colloquialisms are okay.

and this is according to?

hellojello
03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Yes. Wait..........................................Yeah , I'm pretty sure of it.
hehe ok then woteva floats ur boat ;)

DroppinScience
03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
and this is according to?

Any reasonable person who doesn't LOL. ;)

Documad
03-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Colloquialisms or slang is okay.

Except when used by Prince. ;)

Sandinista!
03-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Except when used by Prince. ;)

Case in point: "I Would Die 4 U"

Documad
03-12-2005, 12:16 AM
And Nothing Compares 2 U :)

hellojello
03-12-2005, 04:09 AM
omg like U 2 R SO right

scotty
03-12-2005, 06:39 AM
evidence the white stripes are unoriginal (http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0315/doon.php)

The best bit about this article is that there is a biopic about Motley Crue being made based on their autobiography 'The Dirt'. That book is truly disgusting, but you cant stop reading it.