PDA

View Full Version : DJ Shadow

Kid Presentable
02-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Haven't heard 'Private Press' but you can't fuck with 'Endtroducing'. I've been listening to it since i was fifteen, and it just gets better with age. Got my third copy the other day, motherfuckers keep stealing it. I can't blame them though.

If I could impart anything to the youth of this board, it would be to get this album.

That Spanishbomb girl better not try an hate...

muddfoot
02-26-2005, 11:54 PM
I love all of DJ Shadow's albums and some of his best songs are on Entroducing but my favorite album has got to be The Private Press.

Los Para Noias
02-27-2005, 07:35 AM
I also lost my entroducing, but it is an amazing album nevertheless

EN[i]GMA
02-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Yeah, that fuck can't touch Endtroducing.

His 89 bullshit will be through if he hears it.

ASsman
02-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Isn't it called "The Private Repress", or am I talking about a different album, that also seems to kick ass. It was a Japan only release.

Private Repress [IMPORT]
DJ Shadow

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008DYYH/qid=1109515731/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/102-3137739-4070523?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

muddfoot
02-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah, The Private Press and Private Repress are to different versions of the album.

Parkey
02-27-2005, 10:07 AM
His recent remix of Keane is fucking awful, but Endtroducing and The Private Press are untouchable.

yeahwho
02-27-2005, 11:47 AM
DJ Shadow is a breath of fresh air in a media world filled with twerps. nice :)

tomsanderson86
02-27-2005, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Kid Presentable]you can't fuck with 'Endtroducing'. (/QUOTE]

That's right

Vladimir
02-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Yeah, The Private Press and Private Repress are to different versions of the album.

no they're totally different albums. 'The Private Press' has a limited edition version with the "Pushin' Buttons (MPC Workout)" featuring cut chemist & nu-mark, and some other goodies. 'The Private Repress' is a sort of B-sides collection album, much like Preemptive Strike, and it has remixes of songs on the Private Press as well as unreleased stuff, B-sides, etc. It was not sold in the USA, only in foreign markets. I believe there's something about it on the FAQ of his website.

aaaand.... Endtroducing is the shit, the bomb diggity, whatever word tickes your fancy, its amazing. I haven't listened to the Private Press as much, but I don't like it as much as Endtroducing.

FunkyHiFi
02-27-2005, 01:54 PM
I only listened to the samples (I don't download) of Endtroducing and The Private Press but if those samples are actually representative of the entire song, then i want to grab these two albums.* All those sounds/effects/samples, sometimes combined with a sort of humor, is a really cool combination. The music seems moody but without being almost depressing (DJCam's Mad Blunted Jazz (http://www.shadowrecords.com/multiple_return.cfm?action=artist&label=shadow&search=DJ%20CAM) album [also from 1996], which I like a lot, is this way so i have to be in the right mood to listen to it).

Kid Presentable: Who's "they" and how do they keep stealing your CD?

* 30 second samples can trick you into thinking somethign's good & I've been burned by this effect before. The most recent example is Smoker's Delight by Nightmares On Wax which I bought last week. IMO it sucked & I sold it back four days later and even deleted it from my Windows media player playlist. Most of it sounded like that smooth jazz crap that pollutes doctors' waiting rooms nowadays and the few songs that were very good.........at the beginning of the track (and in the samples), had the same piece of music monotonously repeated through the entire track--zzzzzz. I guess the album's title wasn't kidding about how to best enjoy the music contained within. :rolleyes:

Parkey
02-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Car Boot Soul is Nightmares on Wax best album by a long shot. Check that out.

Also, there is no excuse for not owning Endtroducing...

FunkyHiFi
02-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Parkey: at my age most of the people I hang out with have mostly stopped getting into new music, so I'm not exposed to this type of stuff as much as I would like (i.e. hearing it in their homes/cars/etc) so it takes me awhile to discover new AND good music.

Last week I was lucky enough to run into a knowledgable(!!) employee at a national chain store who was nice enough to let me hear about 10 different albums from bands like NOFX and The Vandals and some ska stuff.....which were his own CDs he brought in from his car. Very decent of him. (y) Because of that 45 minute lsitening session, now I have more CDs to buy. Punk In Drublic is a great album title........ :)

BTW: thanks for the Nightmares reccomendation--I'll check it out. FYI: I just bought Thievery Corporation's new album The Cosmic Game and it was worth buying (unexpectantly, Eric Hilton used to be in a punk band!).

Parkey
02-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Fair enough chief! Music is harder to come by all the time I find, especially with the fragmentation of the scenes and the way in which I hear stuff.

May I suggest signing upto these sites;
Speakers Push the Air (http://www.speakerspushtheair.com/articles/) (you'll find me on there...)

and the wonderful online store;
Boomkat (http://www.boomkat.com/) (that place is chock full of aural goodness!) (y)

ScarySquirrel
02-27-2005, 04:43 PM
DJ Shadow is some really good stuff. The kind of stuff he makes is the entire reason I say sampling laws need to be a lot more lax. The way he makes something completely new from a whole bunch of other records is just really amazing if you ask me.

Definitely at least cheack out Endtroducing. The Private Press and The Private Repress are pretty awesome albums as well, although they don't quite reach the depth that Endtroducing does. Still though, they're solid albums.

ET
02-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Psyence Fiction is a must if you're into Shadow. So is the Brainfreeze mix he did with Cut Chemist.

ec3155
02-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I love DJ Shadow, I love this remix of Heat, Cops and Robbers great song, I also love this shit he did for Unkle, also this Mashin' On The Motorway is a great song.

Qdrop
02-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Psyence Fiction is a must if you're into Shadow. So is the Brainfreeze mix he did with Cut Chemist.

yeah....also his IN tune and On time DVD/CD is a must have....

i have a ton of his work including Entroducing (i can boast that i got it in 96 too :D ), private press, pre-emptive strike.....

definately check out Diminishing Returns. it's a live old-school obscurity hip hop mix he did on BBC radio......sick.

his Live in Austin mix is great...

he just has SOOOOO much work out there that people aren't aware of....

brain freeze, product placement....

Qdrop
02-28-2005, 08:45 AM
if your trippin on DJ Shadow, I strongly advise Dj Krush added to your collection immediately

agreed.....Krush, Cam.....cut chemist

Vladimir
02-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Brainfreeze Parts 1-2 and Product Placement Parts 1-2 are must-haves. Me and my friends were laughing that Dj Shadow and Cut Chemist have a single song, that is in fact half of a longer song, that is longer than the entire Green Album by Weezer. And i love weezer, so no disrespect. Those two, thogh, BF & PP, are simply incredible. The full list of samples can be found on the DJ Shadow samples list, which keeps movin around the web for legal reasons. Regardless, brainfreeze is seriously like the best driving music ever.

Parkey
02-28-2005, 04:50 PM
what the hell happened to NOW? god...I detest their poppy uninovative new stuff

if your trippin on DJ Shadow, I strongly advise Dj Krush added to your collection immediately
NOW turned so bad they even have their stuff on Lunnpoly adverts now...

I'm with you on Krush, the boy certaintly has the skills!

May I also suggest people take a look at the Q-Bert Megamix of Shadow's stuff; Camel Bobsled Race. It comes as the second disc in Pre-emptive Strike mind...

saml
03-01-2005, 12:53 PM
DJ Shadow is king, but let's not forget about RJD2, his Your Face Or Your Kneecaps is up there with Brainfreeze and Product Placement.

Just back from Hamburg where I picked up the DJ Shadow / Cut Chemist live DVD, but I can't decide when I should watch it :\

Kid Presentable
03-02-2005, 07:06 AM
So I scooped the 'Product Placement' DVD/Cd combo, what a lucky prick I am!!!!

Very nice...

Rip Round'n Roc
03-03-2005, 08:37 AM
shadow's got a joint on the new CAGE album "Hell's Winter" comming out this summer

Qdrop
03-03-2005, 08:50 AM
shadow's got a joint on the new CAGE album "Hell's Winter" comming out this summer

that's a shame....cage is fucking boring as hell.

EN[i]GMA
03-03-2005, 02:49 PM
that's a shame....cage is fucking boring as hell.

Cage is a poorly rapping Necro.

p-branez
03-03-2005, 08:00 PM
my entroducing vinyl is fucked up so that the needle always skips in one spot and plays the same part over and over again. they should give me another damn copy.

FunkyHiFi
04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I bought this album last month and just wanted to add my opinion of it: yes, it's very good (all the more flamboyant adjectives have already been used so that will have to do :) ) and it was totally worth the asking price. Thanks to Kid Presentable for starting this thread. (y)

I'm not like an expert on hip-hop, but IMO this sounds more like a rock + hip-hop album, with maybe a bit of prog rock thrown in here and there. I love how the drum set (drum machines?) is so prominently featured--this is a CD that is really fun to listen to LOUD.

My favorite tracks so far are "The Number Song", "Changeling", "Mutual Slump" & "Napalm Brain", though that's relative because I think all the tracks are good.

Really good stuff.

Kid Presentable
04-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Really good stuff.

All the better for being built off sampling.. (y)

EN[i]GMA
04-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Speaking of DJ Shadow, I just downloaded his bootleg concert One Night In Bangkok and it kicks ASS.

It's mostly a jazz/funk mix with some great rap songs over top.

Brilliant.

Vladimir
04-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Did you think so? I guess it's different strokes for different folks, I downloaded the Live in Bangkok thing from the solesides website and I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't bad by any means, just sounded like anyone could have done it. Well, not anyone, but it just didn't seem to live up to any of his other work.

I just purchased the U.N.K.L.E. Psyence Fiction album and its really interesting and different. I didn't find it quite as cohesive as Endtroducing or the Private Press, but it's good.

Where's Sandinista? Come on, this is all post-'89 derivative bullshit, right? Oh that's right, no one ever did this before the '90s. I guess that's a huge hole in the theory...

EN[i]GMA
04-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Did you think so? I guess it's different strokes for different folks, I downloaded the Live in Bangkok thing from the solesides website and I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't bad by any means, just sounded like anyone could have done it. Well, not anyone, but it just didn't seem to live up to any of his other work.

I just purchased the U.N.K.L.E. Psyence Fiction album and its really interesting and different. I didn't find it quite as cohesive as Endtroducing or the Private Press, but it's good.

Where's Sandinista? Come on, this is all post-'89 derivative bullshit, right? Oh that's right, no one ever did this before the '90s. I guess that's a huge hole in the theory...

None can make mixes like that (Other than Z-Trip or Cut Chemist).

Honestly, there are some kick ass mixes on here. Some mediocre ones, but some great ones.

For example, Bonethugs 'Do you wanna smoke my weed' over top of that beat? ILL AS FUCK!

It's not his best work, (Not as good as In Tune for example) but is still a class act mix.

Come on, he actually makes Juvenile sound listenable!

Speaking of great mixes, I just bought the Z-Trip album today and after giving it a listen to, I have to say, it also fucking rocks.

The instrumentals (Aside from the last one) are weak but it's a solid album overall.

Do you wanna ride with me?
Do you smoke my weed?
Never could ya take my Gs!
I'm a pump P.I.M.P!

PaddyBoy
05-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Am I the only person who thinks that Endtroducing is really overrated? Is that heresy? I find it fairly fuckin boring, theres not enough life to it.

Vladimir
05-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Aight yea Enigma, I used the wrong choice of words. I just didn't think it was that great.

FunkyHiFi
05-01-2005, 04:51 PM
theres not enough life to it.
I can understand why some people would think this, since the songs are kind of lengthy and don't "do" a lot. But I'm one of those people that like music that is sort of soothing (but has a good beat) and has an other-worldly feel to it, music that can cause my mind to go somewhere else for awhile*. Since I'm one of those dumb people :) that like listening to some progressive rock like Pink Floyd, Rush and Yes, and since I think Endtroducing has a vaguely prog rock feel to it..................

And from a sound viewpoint, it almost seems like it is a live recording, especially the drums. This gives it sort of an organic feel I guess causing the spaciness of the music to be more warm or welcoming(?) rather than the forbidding mood some other spacey music has (this is the main reason I stopped listening to Pink Floyd--it just got too creepy for me).

* I own three Enigma albums :eek: if that helps to understand where I'm coming from: MCMXC, The Cross Of Changes, and Enigma3: Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! It was cool music before all the imitators showed up!

PaddyBoy
05-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I see what you're sayin. Just doesn't get me going.

Did you see the episode of Trailer Park Boys where they kidnapped the lead singer of Rush? Funny shit.

FunkyHiFi
05-01-2005, 05:57 PM
"Trailer Park Boys"

Is that a TV show?

FYI: I still like Rush--I can even still deal with Geddy's voice!--and I like what they sing about but they became a little too pompous and after 15 years of listening to them and seeing them in concert twice, I've pretty much stopped listening to them.

MC Moot
05-02-2005, 02:05 PM
"Private Press" is easily his best,snag it if ya can, but don't miss R2J2 either! (y)

MC Moot
05-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I see what you're sayin. Just doesn't get me going.

Did you see the episode of Trailer Park Boys where they kidnapped the lead singer of Rush? Funny shit.

yep,but it wasn't Geddy it was Alex Lifeson,guitar man...I kinda prefer the episode when they had Rita Macneil working the harvest,so very Esat coast.....after this season they are heading to a big screen near you soon!

faz
05-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I downloaded the Live in Bangkok thing from the solesides website and I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't bad by any means, just sounded like anyone could have done it.

Its not all shadow. Its just a mix from a show he did on radio 1 put with some jazz

It's basically a mix I did for the BBC in late '99 or early '00 along with someone else's jazz music (?) Now people are putting anything on a CD and saying it's me. This is exactly what they did to Hendrix after he died throughout the '70s. It sucked then and it sucks now.

-

On a side note there is a deluxe edition of Endtroducing coming out soon with bonus tracks and a booklet with notes and photos etc in it. Should be good

EN[i]GMA
05-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Its not all shadow. Its just a mix from a show he did on radio 1 put with some jazz

-

On a side note there is a deluxe edition of Endtroducing coming out soon with bonus tracks and a booklet with notes and photos etc in it. Should be good

Someone needs to tell Pitchfork that: http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/d/dj-shadow/one-night-in-bangkok.shtml

Vladimir
05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
yeah they had that info on the solesides website too IIRC. That's a major component of why I don't think it's his best work, because obviously its not really all his work. I guess its technically not really in the same category as his other work because it is a live mix of stuff he didnt make. But regardless, he's still the shit.

laserx54
05-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I am glad this thread has been resurrected becuz i bought "endtroducing" a week and a half ago and let me just say it has been the latest album to blow me away (can't say that about too many rap records)

Despite all the unanimously glowing reviews I think there is not enough praise lumped on this cd because it should share a place in history with other sample-rific albums such as 3 Feet High and Rising and yes, Paul's Boutique.

Btw, should I buy Private Press?? I've downloaded like 3 or 4 songs and they're good and all but does he do any of his scratching or just general turntablism?? Fuck, i'd still buy it anyway, the dude's a genius

EN[i]GMA
05-02-2005, 06:04 PM
I am glad this thread has been resurrected becuz i bought "endtroducing" a week and a half ago and let me just say it has been the latest album to blow me away (can't say that about too many rap records)

Despite all the unanimously glowing reviews I think there is not enough praise lumped on this cd because it should share a place in history with other sample-rific albums such as 3 Feet High and Rising and yes, Paul's Boutique.

Btw, should I buy Private Press?? I've downloaded like 3 or 4 songs and they're good and all but does he do any of his scratching or just general turntablism?? Fuck, i'd still buy it anyway, the dude's a genius

He scratches.

FunkyHiFi
06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Deluxe TWO-disc version of Endtroducing debuts on June 7! (http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=6867693&cart=250969879)

grooveboy
06-03-2005, 10:02 AM
GMA']Yeah, that fuck can't touch Endtroducing.

His 89 bullshit will be through if he hears it.

word ! :cool:

faz
06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Anyone got the deluxe edition? I ordered mine off of his site as the first 50 people get a signed copy (although you had to buy the bundle which comes with a t shirt). I think I got in there pretty early but I'll just have to wait and see. I also ordered the product placement dvd (I downloaded the cd a while back but want the dvd)

FunkyHiFi
05-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I finally bought The Private Press last night. I'm just now playing it for the first time (track 2 just started). Heard some of it on Shadow's website, www.djshadow.com and really liked it.

Already sounds different than Endtroducing, which I like a lot, but it's a good difference.

To sort of answer the question above: on his site on the music player (click the magnifying glass for the track listing), there are a couple of the remixes from Endtroducing - they sound good to me.

Now we're into "Walkie Talkie". (y)

gaselite
05-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again, bring on The Outsider