PDA

View Full Version : Beastie boys first years shows - specifically

kodman
03-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Can you guys tell me about beastie boys first shows?

I want info of gigs between the years 1981-1985.

I checked the "Gigography" @ beastie mania – it's cool but I need info about what happed on the shows, what they did, if there were crazy stuff on stage or whatever happen, and what they did furthermore the songs and all the acceptable stuff..

I know in LTI era they used to make some noise, squirting beer and shit like that.
But I want more info about crazy shit they done in their show, and what interesting & special things they done on the shows!

Also any photos will be great. :-)

thanks,
kodman

countrymikedj
03-04-2005, 10:16 PM
who could forget the hydrolic penis

Laver1969
03-07-2005, 08:46 AM
And the cage dancers. But were talking more LTI 86-87 stuff here.

They opened for Madonna in 85.

Concerts before then were hardcore shows,.

cookiepuss
03-07-2005, 01:17 PM
ah yeah...I'm just bumping this thread cause I'm tried of seeing the "fuck-you boys from mexico" thread always on top. :rolleyes:

:D
beastie vetrans..please tell us more about the early shows.

Laver1969
03-07-2005, 02:25 PM
My first concert was in the summer of 1987. The Beasties opened for Run DMC on the Together Forever tour. This was my first concert ever the summer after I graduated High School.

They had been through New Orleans earlier and gotten some horrible press because of their onstage hijinx and the inflatable penis and stuff. There were newspaper articles of some city officials trying to stop them returning. There was a lot more police presence at the concert and we had to go through metal detectors. This was very uncommon for 1987.

I got to the venue about an hour before they opened the doors and there were lots of people already there. It looked like they had been there for a while and were pretty drunk.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone that opened before the Beasties came on. I remember they had a huge "banner" that came down that resembled a dollar bill. It had the Beasties' picture on it. They opened with No Sleep till Brooklyn. They had the cages, but instead of the strippers, I think they had girls from the audience in them.

I remember that lots of beer was thrown around the stage. Most of it being spilled and exploded. To this day, I swear I saw Molly Ringwald sidestage. There was no inflatable penis either. They did as their encore FFYR.

Run DMC had a laser show before they hit the stage. They put on an amazing show too. For their encore, Yauch and Diamond joined them on stage for Walk This Way.

I wish I could remember more details but it has been almost 18 years. :)

cj hood
03-08-2005, 06:10 PM
My first concert was in the summer of 1987. The Beasties opened for Run DMC on the Together Forever tour. This was my first concert ever the summer after I graduated High School.

They had been through New Orleans earlier and gotten some horrible press because of their onstage hijinx and the inflatable penis and stuff. There were newspaper articles of some city officials trying to stop them returning. There was a lot more police presence at the concert and we had to go through metal detectors. This was very uncommon for 1987.

I got to the venue about an hour before they opened the doors and there were lots of people already there. It looked like they had been there for a while and were pretty drunk.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't anyone that opened before the Beasties came on. I remember they had a huge "banner" that came down that resembled a dollar bill. It had the Beasties' picture on it. They opened with No Sleep till Brooklyn. They had the cages, but instead of the strippers, I think they had girls from the audience in them.

I remember that lots of beer was thrown around the stage. Most of it being spilled and exploded. To this day, I swear I saw Molly Ringwald sidestage. There was no inflatable penis either. They did as their encore FFYR.

Run DMC had a laser show before they hit the stage. They put on an amazing show too. For their encore, Yauch and Diamond joined them on stage for Walk This Way.

great story!!!

Bobtwi
03-08-2005, 06:25 PM

Man I wish that I had such a vivid memory.I to am lucky and old enough to have expierienced the B Boys since thier debut.I remember going to the tour with them and RUN-D.M.C.And thier own tour when P.E. opened for them,what a show.Besides the big dick coming up at the end its hard(no pun intended)to recall specifics of the shows.I seen them at Glassboro State College(now Rowan Univ.) in Glassboro N.J. in the spring of 85.I remember them doing Beastie Groove and Rock Hard.They even did a version of A.W.O.L.Im sure it was a little differant then but the courus was the same.I wish I brought my box and taped it like I did in 84 when RUN-D.M.C. was there.New Addition was there one year too.Oh I forgot to mention that MCA wore my boys Budwieser hat in Philly.He threw it on stage and MCA put it on.They were in drunkin stupers and so was I.

Laver1969
03-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that MCA wore my boys Budwieser hat in Philly.He threw it on stage and MCA put it on.

In 95 I tossed my Brooklyn hat up on stage and Horovitz put it on a for a bit then whipped it back out into the crowd. (y)

jusme1072
03-12-2005, 11:12 PM
although i did love the beasties then, i lived in the bay area and spent most of time at the gillman street project watching punk bands. i couldn't find any friends who wanted to go see them with me, and i was only 14 so my parents wouldn't let me go by myself.
the first time the boys came to the denver coliseum in '95 with the roots my friend ran up on stage. i have no idea how he got up there, but i remember seeing this guy with green hair running across the stage and doing a stage dive. i couldn't tell who it was until he came back to our spot on the floor all sweaty and smiling with his green hair and asked if i saw him. hah! crazy.

jusme1072
03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
kay, i bumped this thread cause the canceled concerts were at the top again!! so anyway......

Laver1969
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I just thought of another interesting story. This was during the November 1992 New Orleans show. Henry Rollins played just before the Beasties. He owned the energy in the State Palace Theater. His set went on forever. They ended up doing three encores and completely drained the crowd.

By the time the Beasties came out the crowd was a bit flat. The crowd came back to life for the Beasties encore which I believe was Skills and SWW.

timmie
03-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Wow! such great stories from back in the day. I've been a BBoy fan since I was 12, I'm now 31!!! My first concert was in 1998 when I saw them @ Brixton Academy for there exclusive, one off "Hello Nasty tour" I was at the front in the middle. I knew that there is serious moshing @ there gigs but I wanted to be at the front on my first bboy gig!! MMM opened with the scratch Pickles...unbeleivable!!!!(I did'nt know who MMM was at that time), so when the beasties came out, I looked at the DJ & thought,...he's white, where's DJ hurricane.... An hour or so later the beastie's came on! opened with "Sure Shot" i was loving it!!!!...MMM was cutting up some great beats & I thought what the!!, this is unreal!....Mike D walked staight up to me & pointed his finger, I was like, oh my god!!!!!

1999! watched them at Wemley, London for there "Hello Nasty tour" lots of pics taken.

2004: Competition winner on Radio 1 (one) at the ICA in London, only about 200 people at this exclusive concert! I was at the front (on video camera) what a performance....never forget that!

2004, DEC, Wembley, London: got backstage passes, hung out with Cey Adams, met & shook hands with MCA, Mike D, Alfrdo + MMM. Watched the BBoys play basketball, got autographs & pics......+ more!!!!!

paulb
03-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Wow! such great stories from back in the day. I've been a BBoy fan since I was 12, I'm now 31!!! My first concert was in 1998 when I saw them @ Brixton Academy for there exclusive, one off "Hello Nasty tour" I was at the front in the middle. I knew that there is serious moshing @ there gigs but I wanted to be at the front on my first bboy gig!! MMM opened with the scratch Pickles...unbeleivable!!!!(I did'nt know who MMM was at that time), so when the beasties came out, I looked at the DJ & thought,...he's white, where's DJ hurricane.... An hour or so later the beastie's came on! opened with "Sure Shot" i was loving it!!!!...MMM was cutting up some great beats & I thought what the!!, this is unreal!....Mike D walked staight up to me & pointed his finger, I was like, oh my god!!!!!

1999! watched them at Wemley, London for there "Hello Nasty tour" lots of pics taken.

2004: Competition winner on Radio 1 (one) at the ICA in London, only about 200 people at this exclusive concert! I was at the front (on video camera) what a performance....never forget that!

2004, DEC, Wembley, London: got backstage passes, hung out with Cey Adams, met & shook hands with MCA, Mike D, Alfrdo + MMM. Watched the BBoys play basketball, got autographs & pics......+ more!!!!!

Timmie, you're a very lucky man.