PDA

View Full Version : late bloomer

Licorice Donut
03-13-2005, 01:56 AM
It's always difficult when I discover something for the first time, a band or musician, that is new to ME but has been around forever. I get so into it and then don't have anyone to talk to about it because it's like saying "hey man, I just heard this stuff by a guy named Beethoven and, like wow, he was TALENTED!" Well okay maybe not that obvious but it's tough being a late catch-er on-er. I'm just now listening to The Who, like really listening to them besides the big hits I've heard a million times like My Generation and Who Are You, and Teenage Wasteland. I got The Who Sell Out. I don't know, I think I like bluesier music than a lot of what The Who play. Sometimes I think they get out of hand, a little epic and over the top. What do you think of them?

Other old/ish artists that are new to me:
Sebadoh
Pavement
The New York Dolls
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds

What are your late blooming flowers?

mickill
03-13-2005, 03:46 AM
I made a conscious decision, one day, to force myself to get into Iron Maiden. Don't know why. But anyways, I didn't get very far. Not that I was put off by the odes to killing, the gay themes ranging from eagles flying to vigin sacrifices or the soaring falsettos on just about every song. No, I just never bothered buying more of their albums.

I guess that doesn't really count, then.

Hmmm.....I guess a year or so ago, I started getting into Sinatra. I've always liked him, I guess, but didn't really own any of his albums, save for a couple compilations. But now I own all 14 of the concept albums he recorded during his stint at Capitol Records, which I can attribute to turning on the tv after 1:00am on a weeknight. Dude, I mean, the fully re-mastered albums with the original artwork and liner notes available for a limited time at just 4 easy payments of 50 not-so-hard-earned dollars. Who'd pass up on that?

Licorice Donut
03-13-2005, 03:53 AM
I think you made a good investment. You can't put a price on The Chairman. Well, I guess you can, but he's worth every penny.

Matt
03-13-2005, 08:31 AM
I know where you're coming from. I'd say I got into Joy Division later than I should have. Same goes for Pavement, Le Tigre and Iggy Pop.

Teh
03-13-2005, 08:53 AM
I got into Pavement pretty late on, as with James Brown.

I always had the occasional track lying around on my pc (Play That Funky Music being the best example), and never really tried much else. Then i found a tape up in my attic and started getting really into him.

Cooky Puss
03-13-2005, 09:02 AM
My Who love also started not too long ago, because a friend was constantly playing it in her car.
Other 'old' bands are The Clash, The Cure and The Jam. I never heard that music when I was little (due to my parents shitty taste in music and crap radio stations) but I got very curious after hearing so much about them so I started downloading like mad (long live the internet!)
And I started to appreciate the beatles a bit more after my dad got a CD-rom with all albums on it. He thinks they're overrated, but I don't value his opinion because he listens to the dixie chicks and shakira.